Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    One thing that I want to know concerning this, that I haven't found much information on, is what kind of videos is this going to affect? Everyone keeps saying Let's Plays, and that's obviously the big one. But what about videos such as TotalBiscuit's WTF series? Does this cover long reviews of a game? Short reviews? Just LPs? I haven't seen anything remotely official saying it only covers LPs, just that those are the ones that are currently being hit by it.

It's not going to affect anyone or anything. Those videos will still be allowed to exist. Let's Play's of Nintendo games will still be allowed to be made. Only now, instead of an ad for Axe Body Spray at the start of the video, it'll be for the Wii U or 3DS or something.

That's literally it.

As I understood it, the revenue would go to Nintendo rather than the uploader. So if TB does a long WTF of a Nintendo game, he will not see a dime for it. Which is a dick move and highly unfair for TB.

TB hasn't done any Nintendo videos, but I see your point. LPers are trying to earn a paycheck off of rebroadcasting video games to the masses, so if they aren't seeing any advertising revenue off of it then why should they bother? Taking down their previously done work is a spite move, of course, and I still feel they shouldn't be violating Youtube's TOS in the first place, but I seem to be in the minority around here.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • plufimplufim Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Derrick wrote: »
    Let's stop and think for a second. Are we really arguing that you're playing a Nintendo game for the unforeseen plot?

Pretty damn sure Mario is going to fight Bowser and save Peach. Oh shit. Spoiler alert on that one!

I wonder if Link is going to fight Ganon this time? Think maybe Princess Zelda will be involved? Ah man, no way!

Nintendo games are about the gameplay folks.

Son, you need to learn about Fire Emblem. Also in the latest Zelda?
    No Ganon!

9 chapters in to the most recent one has a massive fucking plot event that I would not have wanted spoiled.
    plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    One thing that I want to know concerning this, that I haven't found much information on, is what kind of videos is this going to affect? Everyone keeps saying Let's Plays, and that's obviously the big one. But what about videos such as TotalBiscuit's WTF series? Does this cover long reviews of a game? Short reviews? Just LPs? I haven't seen anything remotely official saying it only covers LPs, just that those are the ones that are currently being hit by it.

It's not going to affect anyone or anything. Those videos will still be allowed to exist. Let's Play's of Nintendo games will still be allowed to be made. Only now, instead of an ad for Axe Body Spray at the start of the video, it'll be for the Wii U or 3DS or something.

That's literally it.

That isn't how I understood it is happening, though. To keep with my example of TB's WTF series, he would no longer be getting the ad revenue, a third party related to whatever game he happened to be reviewing would be getting it. In which case, why would he bother wasting time on something he isn't going to get paid for?
    0c52wn2.jpg
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Really, at the end of the day, all I'm saying is that LP'ers should get permission and consent from the copyright holder before using said copyright. Why is this such a bad thing?

Did you get permission and consent from the copyright holder for your avatar and signature?

No, I did not, and if the creators who uploaded that served me with a C&D I would take them down.

What if instead they simply asked you to put a watermark in the corner that said "Owned by XXXX"? Would you declare it to be the ultimate insult like the decrier's here?

What if suddenly no one can have any stolen art from anywhere as their avatar or signature?

I'd be fine with this, honestly. Again: I am a firm believer that the creator of content should be rightfully compensated for how it is used, be it a large corporation or an individual. I'd move to using a sig/avatar that were deliberately and clearly marked as being part of the public domain.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    Can I be honest? People making money off playing video games in an unsponsored manner is probably worse than this.

Nintendo isn't exactly in the wrong here. It's weird and all, but if it's their games (their copyrighted material) they can do this. I guess. I mean, I dunno. How bad is it really for an ad to appear at the start, or end, or beside another video? People generally hyper-react to advertising anyway. Maybe a chill pill is in order. Nintendo could've said, "Why are you broadcasting our material?" and have things removed. But they're leaving the content up.

The only people getting mad about this are people making dollars off this sorta thing. I think that anyone who is actually into promoting and celebrating a game / the company that made it are gonna be fine with this.

In many cases, they're probably fine.

The problem is, odds are their algorithm (like basically every other algorithm doing this) is overzealous, claiming videos they have no rights over (Remember the debacle over NASA's stuff getting taken down?). Making money off a video that they don't hold copyrights over IS wrong (Most likely, because of fair use - if someone is showing snippets of the game as part of a review, for instance, they hold copyright to the video as a whole, not Nintendo).
    Polaritie on
    I consider myself an expert in the fields of computers and mathematics. And no further.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon Registered User regular
    I'm amazed this topic has sparked this much conversation. Good job for keeping it clean and interesting, everyone! Kudos.
    Capture.jpg
    Currently playing: DI:Riptide, Eador:MotBW, FE:A, MH3U
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

That's literally it.

As I understood it, the revenue would go to Nintendo rather than the uploader. So if TB does a long WTF of a Nintendo game, he will not see a dime for it. Which is a dick move and highly unfair for TB.

TB hasn't done any Nintendo videos, but I see your point. LPers are trying to earn a paycheck off of rebroadcasting video games to the masses, so if they aren't seeing any advertising revenue off of it then why should they bother? Taking down their previously done work is a spite move, of course, and I still feel they shouldn't be violating Youtube's TOS in the first place, but I seem to be in the minority around here.

If something that is clearly fair use violates Youtube's TOS, then Youtube's TOS are badly formulated.

Australopitenico on

That's literally it.

If something that is clearly fair use violates Youtube's TOS, then Youtube's TOS are badly formulated.

While that may be a valid point RE: the TOS...

When has fair use ever included the whole and 100% rebroadcast of a work?

Note I'm not focusing on short 10 minute videos unless they are part of a larger playthrough of a game. But definitions of fair use for educational purposes are no where near what an LP is. An LP is usually a vehicle for entertainment value.
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Stellar arguments:

-"People who watch a funny guy play Mario are doing it instead of buying and playing Mario themselves, every view in that video is one copy that is not sold"

-"The cook should not get any money, since he is shamelessly profiting off the intellectual property of the farmer"

Case #1: Not 1 to 1, but I'm sure it happens. Plus, again, others profiting off of the game developer's work.

Case #2: Cooking is a transformative process. Plus the cook paid the farmer for the raw material used to cook the food (sort of like you have to get permission to use samples in a song).

Everyone is profiting off everyone's work. If I make money doing data analysis with Matlab for people who don't have Matlab then I'm profiting off Matlab's work. But it's ok because I paid a Matlab license. If Matlab were to come and tell me: "You are making unfair use of our IP because if you didn't analyze that data they would have been forced to buy Matlab themselves" I would still be laughing at them.

Cooking is a transformative process, a LP is a transformative process, too. The raw material is the game, a game that has been paid for. Nintendo has already made their correspondent profit at their correspondent link in the chain. This new trend of trying to get your profits and all the profits of the subsequent links in the chain is as stupid as a farmer telling Gordon Ramsay he wants a cut of his revenue because he farms the rice that he uses.

I really like this analogy, and feel like it is genuinely enlightening.

That said, I think we can all agree that pirated games being made into LP's don't have any legitimate moral right to do so. But if you have paid for the carrots, you get to make stew with them. Even at a dinner party. Even at a commercial restaurant.
    edited May 2013
    I still don't think LPs where the gameplay is presented straight is the equivalent of cooking. I'd place that much closer to machinima - making a wholly new product from the constituent components of the original work. Sort of like the Dragonball Z Abridged series.

Edit: Actually, that's a good point. How does Team Four Star make money off their vids? I know there aren't ads on them, because they don't have the rights to do so.. but they do make money from merchandise sales and appearance fees, right?
    Athenor on
    It's difficult for me to reply here with this thread moving so quickly, so I apologize if what I post is a bit behind.

My issue is that there's a very ambiguous line in everything I've seen concerning this, and that is the fact that it's pretty much any content "of a certain length". This doesn't mention only showing straight up gameplay, or even going so far as to specify gameplay without commentary. It's pretty much all content that shows any kind of clips of the property in question. Channels that function on showing reviews for games, channels that only do commentaries, channels that just show gameplay, channels that do all of the above, will all be hit by this.
    0c52wn2.jpg

That's literally it.

While that may be a valid point RE: the TOS...

When has fair use ever included the whole and 100% rebroadcast of a work?

Note I'm not focusing on short 10 minute videos unless they are part of a larger playthrough of a game. But definitions of fair use for educational purposes are no where near what an LP is. An LP is usually a vehicle for entertainment value.

I think our main point of disagreement is that for me, watching a game is not what gives it value, as it does with books, movies or tv shows. A game must be played. Would you buy Gears of War 3 if it was only gameplay footage plus cutscenes and you could not control any part of it?

Following on my Matlab example, what gives Matlab its value is its use, and not its images. What if I did a "let's Matlab" series recording my crazy Matlab adventures, showing the basic commands and their normal uses and then showing some twists and neat little tricks that make your coding easier? What if I show some of Matlab's easter eggs on Youtube? Would that be considered my effort and my work or would I be "broadcasting Matlab" and any revenue I get for the videos would be considered illegitimate?

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    plufim wrote: »
    Derrick wrote: »
    Let's stop and think for a second. Are we really arguing that you're playing a Nintendo game for the unforeseen plot?

Pretty damn sure Mario is going to fight Bowser and save Peach. Oh shit. Spoiler alert on that one!

I wonder if Link is going to fight Ganon this time? Think maybe Princess Zelda will be involved? Ah man, no way!

Nintendo games are about the gameplay folks.

Son, you need to learn about Fire Emblem. Also in the latest Zelda?
    No Ganon!

9 chapters in to the most recent one has a massive fucking plot event that I would not have wanted spoiled.

I haven't played through Skyward Sword yet, but I honestly don't care much about the plot anyways. Could you please spoiler that anyways, please? Just in case.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited May 2013
    From Nintendo's website, http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp
    Intellectual Property Rights

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

You'll note that there is a lot more covered there than just the act of gameplay itself. The images and sounds both fall under Nintendo's copyright. THAT is what Nintendo is protecting. I think that imagery is just as valuable as the gameplay is; other people don't. That is the main point of disagreement, I agree. :)
    Athenor on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Regarding the TB thing I know it was an example but in his case I'm fairly certain The Game Station (and any other big network) has the capacity to get a deal with companies regarding how content is presented and monetised. I can't remember which game it was specifically but I know they've definitely done this before.

Also I'm definitely curious as to what constitutes a transformative work. The way that Youtube TOS snippet that was posted made it sound was:

1) Video where I play Gears of War with friends for a bit, not cool

2) Video where I play the exact same Gears of War section but accompany it with an edit in of my standing giving tutoring on Gears and pointing out secrets, cool go for it.

Which seems kind of vague and fuzzy.

At the end of the day it still feels like a dick move. If it were simply a matter of 'we don't view our games as LPable without ruining sales' like Athenor said then they should just blanket remove videos or put a ban on it. They didn't, what they said was 'that's some nice effort you put into your work, but see we're just gonna take the cash from it'. It doesn't really matter if at base the lets play is based on something they own. It still feels like a bit of a slap in the face policy wise.

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

You'll note that there is a lot more covered there than just the act of gameplay itself. The images and sounds both fall under Nintendo's copyright. THAT is what Nintendo is protecting. I think that imagery is just as valuable as the gameplay is; other people don't. That is the main point of disagreement, I agree. :)

That's interesting. I'm probably misunderstanding, but doesn't "copyright" in this context mean only that you don't have the right to produce a, say, Legend of Zelda game using Zelda characters, music etc.? You definitely aren't reproducing a game or its contents by playing it, you're using the game.
    steam_sig.png

edited May 2013
    Yes, I have no doubt that Nintendo says that, the question is: is that fair for LPers or even for people who do more elaborate things like the aforementioned TB and his WTFs or is it a dick move by Nintendo? Because having "I'm a huge dick" on their website does not make me any less of a dick, only a honest dick.
    Australopitenico on

Copyrights

That's interesting. I'm probably misunderstanding, but doesn't "copyright" in this context mean only that you don't have the right to produce a, say, Legend of Zelda game using Zelda characters, music etc.? You definitely aren't reproducing a game or its contents by playing it, you're using the game.

Link is Nintendo's character. The Song of Storms is Nintendo's arrangement (you can't copyright sound, you can copyright a series of sounds in a specific arrangement or a recording of sounds). If you were to use either of those without consent Nintendo could come after you. Generally they won't unless you are costing them money (hurting/confusing their brand) and/or making money off of it.

It gets real thorny, real fast. Honestly this entire country needs a hell of a lot of copyright reform.
    I'd personally be much happier with this move if the advertising was split between Nintendo and the channel owner.
    Someone want to change the freakin' sensationalist title which is a complete misinterpretation of what's actually going on?

"Nintendo claims ad revenue for Youtube Let's Plays of their IP" seems good.

Or, even more correctly, "Nintendo claims ad revenue for any Nintendo footage on Youtube", since that's what everything is pointing too right now.
    0c52wn2.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Someone want to change the freakin' sensationalist title which is a complete misinterpretation of what's actually going on?

Or, even more correctly, "Nintendo claims ad revenue for any Nintendo footage on Youtube", since that's what everything is pointing too right now.

A similar misrepresentation of events happened with the Sega thing - Sega was targeting any and all mention / footage of something, not just Lets Plays.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
    If you want to be that specific, you should narrow it to video of Mario IP.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Everyone is profiting off everyone's work. If I make money doing data analysis with Matlab for people who don't have Matlab then I'm profiting off Matlab's work. But it's ok because I paid a Matlab license. If Matlab were to come and tell me: "You are making unfair use of our IP because if you didn't analyze that data they would have been forced to buy Matlab themselves" I would still be laughing at them.

Cooking is a transformative process, a LP is a transformative process, too. The raw material is the game, a game that has been paid for. Nintendo has already made their correspondent profit at their correspondent link in the chain. This new trend of trying to get your profits and all the profits of the subsequent links in the chain is as stupid as a farmer telling Gordon Ramsay he wants a cut of his revenue because he farms the rice that he uses.

Wait, you made a good example with Matlab and needing to pay for a license there. How does it follow that "Nintendo already made their money, LPers are chefs?"

I buy a movie. I decide to upload the entire thing to the internet with me talking over it. Sometimes I will pause the movie and zoom in to accentuate things to put my own personal "chef" spin on it to make things interesting. This is fine? That company already made their correspondent profit at their correspondent link in the chain when I bought the DVD, so they shouldn't do anything about this?

This is what you are arguing. You're saying buying a game gives you license to redistribute videos of it as much as you want, y'know, just like buying a movie gives you license to do the same thing...?
    UncleSporky on
    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    what kind of 'license' are you talking about?

nobody really doubts that nintendo has the authority in law to do what they're doing. That point is not in question (at least in the U.S., which is the only jurisdiction that really matters in these cases.)

ed: To put a fine point on it, what people are talking about is whether nintendo should have the authority to do it, and given the authority whether they should
    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hope? change? busproject.org
    my unofficial autobio will be accompanied with tips on how to smile
    cause I've found that when they don't see you frown, they never know that you're a threat
    and they don't sweat you when you came around
    edited May 2013

A similar misrepresentation of events happened with the Sega thing - Sega was targeting any and all mention / footage of something, not just Lets Plays.

The Sega thing was a complete closure of any channel that even mentioned Shining Force. Not just the video, the whole channel. That was a bit ridiculous. This is roughly the same thing, only one step back from "batshit crazy", and one step forward to "greedy dicks", IMO.

The stuff I've seen about this isn't just for Nintendo game LPs, its for everything that shows Nintendo stuff at all. Reviews, LPs, multiplayer commentaries, anything. If they want to be specific, then they need to fucking be specific.
    Slayer of Dreams on
    0c52wn2.jpg

nobody really doubts that nintendo has the authority in law to do what they're doing. That point is not in question (at least in the U.S., which is the only jurisdiction that really matters in these cases.)

ed: To put a fine point on it, what people are talking about is whether nintendo should have the authority to do it, and given the authority whether they should

It's clear they have the authority. As to wether they should, logic points to them "shooting themselves in the foot."
    steam_sig.png

• programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular

Yeah. I agree under our insane IP laws, they have a legal right to do it, but want to point out that they probably shouldn't. but even if they should have the right to do so, doing so is still a dick move because other video game companies have successfully profited off more community centric policies.
    edited May 2013

Yeah I was confused because I never said anything about "the right." :P

Australopitenico didn't seem to be talking about whether they should or not. He said he bought a Matlab license that allowed him to use the software by proxy for someone else. So does buying a movie give me the license to share it with everyone else, especially if I put some original spin on it?

My argument is that this transformative process he goes on about is bullshit and not something that suddenly allows you to do whatever you want.
    UncleSporky on
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

The Sega thing was a complete closure of any channel that even mentioned Shining Force. Not just the video, the whole channel. That was a bit ridiculous. This is roughly the same thing, only one step back from "batshit crazy", and one step forward to "greedy dicks", IMO.

The stuff I've seen about this isn't just for Nintendo game LPs, its for everything that shows Nintendo stuff at all. Reviews, LPs, multiplayer commentaries, anything. If they want to be specific, then they need to fucking be specific.

You have a very odd definition of "same thing."

Sega killed channels (unless they fought back, then videos were just killed) for showing or mentioning Shining Force.

Nintendo has given Lets Plays their blessing but is redirecting ad revenue to Nintendo.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'd personally be much happier with this move if the advertising was split between Nintendo and the channel owner.

Hell just give all of the add revenue to the people hosting the channels.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Why don't the LPers ask for donations to keep videos going? Do GameGrumps have something like that? They've given me a lot of entertainment value so I'd throw them a few bucks.

The funny thing is that I'm not even sure how these people are getting ad money in the first place. I put up a Portal video on Youtube that generated a lot of hits, and got an email asking if I wanted to throw an ad on there. I said "yes" but then it came back rejected because I don't own the rights to the game.

I don't see how an LP is any different.

Also videos of SC2 / LoL are COMPLETELY different. Those are competitive games and people are watching them for their strategies and not for the story/gameplay. I know I sure as hell wouldn't watch any of those videos because I'm not interested in "becoming the best" but I will sit down and watch GameGrumps play through Mario Party 3.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Yeah I was confused because I never said anything about "the right." :P

Australopitenico didn't seem to be talking about whether they should or not. He said he bought a Matlab license that allowed him to use the software by proxy for someone else. So does buying a movie give me the license to share it with everyone else, especially if I put some original spin on it?

My argument is that this transformative process he goes on about is bullshit and not something that suddenly allows you to do whatever you want.

The "transformative process" actually does matter in law, but given the scale of the use in your run of the mill LP U.S. law almost certainly does not grant license.

so what?
    Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hope? change? busproject.org
    my unofficial autobio will be accompanied with tips on how to smile
    cause I've found that when they don't see you frown, they never know that you're a threat
    and they don't sweat you when you came around
    edited May 2013

You have a very odd definition of "same thing."

Sega killed channels (unless they fought back, then videos were just killed) for showing or mentioning Shining Force.

Nintendo has given Lets Plays their blessing but is redirecting ad revenue to Nintendo.

I suppose. Channel closures happened unless the offending videos were removed. That was censorship, really, and I guess this isn't quite the same.

I don't see how Nintendo taking all of the income for videos that they spent minimal effort making is a blessing, though. It's coming off to me as "I like your money, so I'm taking it because you used my tools product to make it."

Edit - clarify a bit
    Slayer of Dreams on
    0c52wn2.jpg
    edited May 2013

Wait, you made a good example with Matlab and needing to pay for a license there. How does it follow that "Nintendo already made their money, LPers are chefs?"

I buy a movie. I decide to upload the entire thing to the internet with me talking over it. Sometimes I will pause the movie and zoom in to accentuate things to put my own personal "chef" spin on it to make things interesting. This is fine? That company already made their correspondent profit at their correspondent link in the chain when I bought the DVD, so they shouldn't do anything about this?

This is what you are arguing. You're saying buying a game gives you license to redistribute videos of it as much as you want, y'know, just like buying a movie gives you license to do the same thing...?

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. A video game is meant for playing. You buy video games for playing them, so in my book there is nothing wrong with showing people videos of video games, because they are not movies. What you are saying you do with the movie is COMPLETELY different to a let's play.

What you guys are saying is that I should not be allowed to see Marcus Fenix's ugly-ass face if I didn't buy Gears of War. If you are seriously saying that seeing a playthrough in youtube is exactly the same as playing the game I think we are never going to agree.

The logical conclusion for what you guys are saying is that there exists a market out there for people who will buy a video game just to watch it play out in front of them.

A commented let's, a review, a WTF. All those are transformative processess. The same way I'm buying matlab and analyzing data by proxy and showing them the results, these guys are buying a game, playing it by proxy and showing us the results. All for a price that is not very high.
    Australopitenico on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The funny thing is that I'm not even sure how these people are getting ad money in the first place. I put up a Portal video on Youtube that generated a lot of hits, and got an email asking if I wanted to throw an ad on there. I said "yes" but then it came back rejected because I don't own the rights to the game.

Because when Google stands to make a ton of money they're more than willing to work with the channel owner. There was an interesting thread at GAF about YT ad rates and while its terms are strictly under an NDA some users chimed in with their experience and determined it to be roughly 1-3 bucks per 1000 views. That's not chump change when you're hitting a million views a month. One guy said at one point he was pulling in roughly 9000 a month from 4.5 million views a month.

So basically yeah, Nintendo has every right to do it but they're also fucking over what are likely their biggest fan's entire livelihood.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. A video game is meant for playing. You buy video games for playing them, so in my book there is nothing wrong with showing people videos of video games, because they are not movies. What you are saying you do with the movie is COMPLETELY different to a let's play.

What you guys are saying is that I should not be allowed to see Marcus Fenix's ugly-ass face if I didn't buy Gears of War. If you are seriously saying that seeing a playthrough in youtube is exactly the same as playing the game I think we are never going to agree.

The logical conclusion for what you guys are saying is that there exists a market out there for people who will buy a video game just to watch it play out in front of them.

How so? I went through the transformative process, which is apparently all that is necessary to give me the right to upload it. I've taken that movie and done a little remix on those ingredients like Gordon Ramsay, and the company already got their money from the sale of the DVD. What's the problem?
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

A commented let's, a review, a WTF. All those are transformative processess. The same way I'm buying matlab and analyzing data by proxy and showing them the results, these guys are buying a game, playing it by proxy and showing us the results. All for a price that is not very high.

Nope. There's a market out there that will watch someone play a video game for free. I know that my wife enjoys watching me play video games because she's just not as good at them as I am.
    edited May 2013

How so? I went through the transformative process, which is apparently all that is necessary to give me the right to upload it. I've taken that movie and done a little remix on those ingredients like Gordon Ramsay, and the company already got their money from the sale of the DVD. What's the problem?

At this point you either are grasping at straws or you live in a completely different reality than I do. In my planet, videogames and movies are fundamentally different, and watching someone play the game is a totally different experience than playing the video game. However, watching a movie and watching a movie are similar experiences.

Australopitenico on