Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.

I don't agree that there should be a protest, but if someone decides to remove their Nintendo LPs and/or only focus on non-Nintendo LPs in the future in order to make money off it, I could understand it. That doesn't mean I agree with it or that I'd act the same, but I can see why they would do it.

Before:
    - LPers advertise product for free
    - LPing costs money: Recording equipment, cost of electricity and internet (+ time invested)
    - LPers get very small ammount of compensation from ad revenue
    => Unless helped out through donations, LPers lose money through LPs

After:
    - LPing still costs money and time
    - LPers lose even small compensation through ad revenue
    => Entire cost of LPing has to be covered by donations or paid from own pocket

The problem I see here is that Nintendo's products are still advertised for free. Nintendo just want more money themselves and hurt those who support them for free.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also this eSports tangent seems extremely irrelevant. Yes there is advertising in that business but there's also endorsement and consent happening all over the place with the game developers / publishers.

Aren't the esports and such also publicly sponsored by the game makers themselves anyways, thus rendering this entire tangent moot?

I swear I also remember storiesy where there were a bunch of unofficial esport competitive scenes sprouting up for Starcraft 2, and Blizzard was shutting those down because they were profiting unofficially. At least I think there was, can't find anything on Google though.

Precisely my point.

Edit - The crackdown was on competitions using one CD key for Starcraft competitions.
    Henroid on
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    Tough call.
    There have been cases where I watched LP's so I wouldn't have to buy the game. So in a way, I consumed the game on Youtube and the Dev got nothing out of it. Such a case SHOULD be covered, in a way.

Ultimately the only fair way would be to split revenue. Most likely people will have to work with Nintendo officially to get these things organized in some way.
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • AthenorAthenor Dapper Storyteller Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.

I don't agree that there should be a protest, but if someone decides to remove their Nintendo LPs and/or only focus on non-Nintendo LPs in the future in order to make money off it, I could understand it. That doesn't mean I agree with it or that I'd act the same, but I can see why they would do it.

This is perfectly within their rights, and I fully expect Nintendo's LPs to come down. Which is probably the point Nintendo was after, so they could control the message a bit more.
    Friendship_vs_world_signature_zps8ed7bd86.jpg
    NNID and many other services: Athenor or Myridiam // 3DS: 3883-5283-0471
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Also this eSports tangent seems extremely irrelevant. Yes there is advertising in that business but there's also endorsement and consent happening all over the place with the game developers / publishers.

It's not irrelevant, it's exactly relevant as the LP related policies of the companies involved. People started Youtube of LOL before Riot issued a policy. Riot saw it was already happening, and then decided to issue a reasonable policy that has benefited pro players, the community in general, and the game itself.

http://www.riotgames.com/legal-jibber-jabber

Highlights: Ads are allowed. Sponsorships are allowed. Cannot gate the video behind subscription wall, but are allowed to have it on, say, Twitch which offers premium accounts.

--

Edit to add: And this is similar to the policy I'd like to see Nintendo adopt. They wouldn't be getting flack if this was their policy.
    programjunkie on
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    *sighs* Maybe I just see the blatent redistribution of a creative medium as something other than free advertising. But hey.. I still hold notions that copyright means something in this world. LPers are creating the audio feed, not the video. A very good argument could be made for this being piracy, especially with single player or narrative driven games that don't have a lot of emergent gameplay in them.

If people get as much enjoyment out of watching a "narrative driven" game that's literally the same for everyone with no satisfying gameplay that you'd be missing out, you might as well watch the film version then. They might even cut out the repetitive combat sections with chest high walls.

Watching a game shouldn't be the same as playing it. The good LPs show the skill of the guy playing it or his knowledge of the game, it's development, quirky bugs, lots of stuff you'd miss. This isn't streaming the latest Game of Thrones episode while yelling out whenever there's dragons on screen.

I dunno, I've seen some LPs in that vein.

And that's the problem - what defines a "good" LP? How do you say "this video, we'll let them make money off of our product because they are adding to it, while these guys we'll take all the revenue because they are a mouthbreather?"

The answer, of course, should be a creative partnership - IE either Nintendo reaching out to the LPer in an advertising/sponsorship deal, or the LPer reaching out to Nintendo asking for consent.
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    What message? That nobody knows what our new console is and those that do generally don't care? Guess they might as well put off some of their main supporters, who will just dedicate more time to Sony/Microsoft.

So good message there: Support our competitors!
  • caligynefobcaligynefob Registered User regular

This is perfectly within their rights, and I fully expect Nintendo's LPs to come down. Which is probably the point Nintendo was after, so they could control the message a bit more.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to do a copyright strike on the channel instead of coming off as greedy penny pinchers?
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

Before:
    - LPing costs money: Recording equipment, cost of electricity and internet (+ time invested)

After:

The problem I see here is that Nintendo's products are still advertised for free. Nintendo just want more money themselves and hurt those who support them for free.

Not every LPer uses the ad partnership program on YouTube.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013

Wouldn't it have made more sense to do a copyright strike on the channel instead of coming off as greedy penny pinchers?

Short answer: No. That would be declaring war.
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular

Honestly, that seems worse to me, since that would be nintendo just flat out saying that it's not okay to broadcast their content in any way.

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    *sighs* Maybe I just see the blatent redistribution of a creative medium as something other than free advertising. But hey.. I still hold notions that copyright means something in this world. LPers are creating the audio feed, not the video. A very good argument could be made for this being piracy, especially with single player or narrative driven games that don't have a lot of emergent gameplay in them.

If people get as much enjoyment out of watching a "narrative driven" game that's literally the same for everyone with no satisfying gameplay that you'd be missing out, you might as well watch the film version then. They might even cut out the repetitive combat sections with chest high walls.

Watching a game shouldn't be the same as playing it. The good LPs show the skill of the guy playing it or his knowledge of the game, it's development, quirky bugs, lots of stuff you'd miss. This isn't streaming the latest Game of Thrones episode while yelling out whenever there's dragons on screen.

And that's the problem - what defines a "good" LP? How do you say "this video, we'll let them make money off of our product because they are adding to it, while these guys we'll take all the revenue because they are a mouthbreather?"

The answer, of course, should be a creative partnership - IE either Nintendo reaching out to the LPer in an advertising/sponsorship deal, or the LPer reaching out to Nintendo asking for consent.

This punishes the good LPs that people should watch with the shit ones. The shit ones will just play something else. They'll just play flash games or indie games if all big publishers decide they can't do that anymore.
    edited May 2013

This punishes the good LPs that people should watch with the shit ones. The shit ones will just play something else. They'll just play flash games or indie games if all big publishers decide they can't do that anymore.

Exactly.

Copyright law cannot be selectively applied. Part of its core is that you must defend your copyright against all comers. It's why Nintendo has some of the strongest anti-piracy measures out there.

I'm sorry, but even if you are a good LP'er, if you don't get permission from the copyright holder to redistribute the copyrighted work, you are violating copyright law. You are also violating Youtube's TOS, per that post last page.

Bringing up that Nintendo's not in the best PR position to do this is irrelevant, and why I'm trying to frame it with other companies. If you do not aggressively defend copyright, you will lose it.

The dividing line is making money off of someone else's copyrighted material, at least in this aspect of copyright law.
    Athenor on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User, Soft Launch Tester regular
    edited May 2013
    heenato wrote: »

Does twitch split its ad revenue with the people streaming?
    There might be special cases, but I don't believe so.

I thought not, or else Bazza wouldn't be asking for donations given how popular his streams are.

Again: Youtube is a case of a copyrighted product being reproduced for money without the consent of the copyright holder. And if you don't protect your copyright, you lose it. Expect to see more announcements in this vein going forward.

Copyright is not trademark. You lose trademarks if you do not protect them. You do not lose copyright over your work if you do not exercise it. This is a choice, not a necessity.

Edit,
    Bringing up that Nintendo's not in the best PR position to do this is irrelevant, and why I'm trying to frame it with other companies. If you do not aggressively defend copyright, you will lose it.

Where on earth are you getting this idea from?
    Suriko on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Let's stop and think for a second. Are we really arguing that you're playing a Nintendo game for the unforeseen plot?

Pretty damn sure Mario is going to fight Bowser and save Peach. Oh shit. Spoiler alert on that one!

I wonder if Link is going to fight Ganon this time? Think maybe Princess Zelda will be involved? Ah man, no way!

Nintendo games are about the gameplay folks.
    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Stellar arguments:

-"People who watch a funny guy play Mario are doing it instead of buying and playing Mario themselves, every view in that video is one copy that is not sold"

-"The cook should not get any money, since he is shamelessly profiting off the intellectual property of the farmer"

Australopitenico on
    Maybe Kaz is going to do a Pokemon lets-play and is just trying to weed out the competitors?
    Some of the most popular LP games barely constitute games. Minecraft is a very good example.
    Suriko wrote: »

Where on earth are you getting this idea from?

Probably a lack of sleep, but my mind keeps going back to the case of Star Wars and the very real risk of it entering the public domain by becoming part of the cultural fabric of the country - hence why Lucas fought any violations of his copyright so strongly. Nintendo runs that risk too, especially with Mario.
    Stellar arguments:

-"People who watch a funny guy play Mario are doing it instead of buying and playing Mario themselves, every view in that video is one copy that is not sold"

-"The cook should not get any money, since he is shamelessly profiting off the intellectual property of the farmer"

Case #1: Not 1 to 1, but I'm sure it happens. Plus, again, others profiting off of the game developer's work.

Case #2: Cooking is a transformative process. Plus the cook paid the farmer for the raw material used to cook the food (sort of like you have to get permission to use samples in a song).
  • Maz-Maz- C'mon Donny! Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    Let's stop and think for a second. Are we really arguing that you're playing a Nintendo game for the unforeseen plot?

Pretty damn sure Mario is going to fight Bowser and save Peach. Oh shit. Spoiler alert on that one!

I wonder if Link is going to fight Ganon this time? Think maybe Princess Zelda will be involved? Ah man, no way!

That's generalizing to an incredible degree.

Also wrong.
    zwischenablage01.gif
    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654
    edited May 2013

Before:

After:

Not every LPer uses the ad partnership program on YouTube.

A fair point. There are probably people who need it though. Don't underestimate how much work goes into LPs, and the ammount of money isn't exactly small either. Why Nintendo discourages spending money for them, is beyond me.
    Derrick wrote: »

Because Mario is the only game made by Nintendo?
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

Really, at the end of the day, all I'm saying is that LP'ers should get permission and consent from the copyright holder before using said copyright. Why is this such a bad thing?
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The fundamental difference between a "Let's Play: Assassin's Creed III" and a "Let's Watch: Iron Man 3" are the interactive bits that a game has between scenes. Obviously.

Now explain why those interactive bits suddenly grant the Let's Play complete diplomatic immunity from copyright laws when uploaded to Youtube.
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Pokemon Black code - 3009 7390 5907 Send PM if you add me
    Really, at the end of the day, all I'm saying is that LP'ers should get permission and consent from the copyright holder before using said copyright. Why is this such a bad thing?

Did you get permission and consent from the copyright holder for your avatar and signature?

Because that would lead to a biased assesment of the games when Nintendo refuses to grant permission to anybody who are critical of them.

edited May 2013

Did you get permission and consent from the copyright holder for your avatar and signature?

No, I did not, and if the creators who uploaded that served me with a C&D I would take them down.

Because that would lead to a biased assesment of the games when Nintendo refuses to grant permission to anybody who are critical of them.

Ah. So.. like game reviews nowadays? Or maybe like Sony, who will let the publishers decide when the share button can and cannot be used in their games?
    Athenor on
    edited May 2013
    My general position on this is that Let's Plays are technically copyright infringement, as a relatively clear case of a derivative work.

This is tempered, however, by the fact that copyright is violated an utterly absurd number of times. This doesn't make all instances legitimate, of course, but it means some measure of thought should be put into how some areas of enforcement are handled. We, as a society, have come to largely rely on lenient enforcement in many areas (fan-trailers, screenshots, and LPs as examples within videogames, but there are plenty more in popular culture). Essentially, the ball is in Nintendo's court on this. They are free to do this, legally speaking. It's also incredibly fucking stupid. Both can apply at the same time.
    Suriko on
    edited May 2013
    The fundamental difference between a "Let's Play: Assassin's Creed III" and a "Let's Watch: Iron Man 3" are the interactive bits that a game has between scenes. Obviously.

Now explain why those interactive bits suddenly grant the Let's Play complete diplomatic immunity from copyright laws when uploaded to Youtube.

I don't think that's the issue. The issue is that there's two types of copyright defense:

- Defending positive use of your material
    - Defending negative use, aka misuse of your material, meaning misrepresantation or presentation in a bad right

If you wanted to stop negative use of your product, discouraging everyone is a weird desicion. It doesn't stop anyone completely, it just discourages everyone, even positive presentation aka free advertisement.

If I really really want to present their product in a bad light, this desicion isn't gonna effect me. I just have to spend more money on it.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

Also I'm not profiting off my av/sig. :) (though it's a really strong point.)

No, I did not, and if the creators who uploaded that served me with a C&D I would take them down.

What if instead they simply asked you to put a watermark in the corner that said "Owned by XXXX"? Would you declare it to be the ultimate insult like the decrier's here?
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    One thing that I want to know concerning this, that I haven't found much information on, is what kind of videos is this going to affect? Everyone keeps saying Let's Plays, and that's obviously the big one. But what about videos such as TotalBiscuit's WTF series? Does this cover long reviews of a game? Short reviews? Just LPs? I haven't seen anything remotely official saying it only covers LPs, just that those are the ones that are currently being hit by it.
    0c52wn2.jpg
    One thing that I want to know concerning this, that I haven't found much information on, is what kind of videos is this going to affect? Everyone keeps saying Let's Plays, and that's obviously the big one. But what about videos such as TotalBiscuit's WTF series? Does this cover long reviews of a game? Short reviews? Just LPs? I haven't seen anything remotely official saying it only covers LPs, just that those are the ones that are currently being hit by it.

It's not going to affect anyone or anything. Those videos will still be allowed to exist. Let's Play's of Nintendo games will still be allowed to be made. Only now, instead of an ad for Axe Body Spray at the start of the video, it'll be for the Wii U or 3DS or something.

That's literally it.
    edited May 2013

It's not going to affect anyone or anything. Those videos will still be allowed to exist. Let's Play's of Nintendo games will still be allowed to be made. Only now, instead of an ad for Axe Body Spray at the start of the video, it'll be for the Wii U or 3DS or something.

That's literally it.

According to the first page, it's larger than that.

Edit N.3: "...redirect ad revenue to Nintendo's pockets instead of the video creator's..."
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

It also sounds like Nintendo will be adding advertising to LP videos that didn't have ads before.
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular

That's literally it.

As I understood it, the revenue would go to Nintendo rather than the uploader. So if TB does a long WTF of a Nintendo game, he will not see a dime for it. Which is a dick move and highly unfair for TB.

That's literally it.

According to the first page, it's larger than that.

gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=202693
    As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property. For more information please visit http://www.youtube.com/yt/copyright/faq.html
    adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips.
    unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular

What if instead they simply asked you to put a watermark in the corner that said "Owned by XXXX"? Would you declare it to be the ultimate insult like the decrier's here?

What if suddenly no one can have any stolen art from anywhere as their avatar or signature?