Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Here's the actual news.

Videos of Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ads for those videos will be for Nintendo.

What's the fucking problem?

The problem is that you're misunderstanding the actual news. The actual news is that videos containing Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ad revenue for those videos will go to Nintendo instead of the video's creator.

What's the problem?
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    I'm happy to drop this point of discussion, re: Decreased sales of LPs. There was someone arguing that "if you believe that people decide not to buy a game after watching an LP, you have no clue about interactive media." which is another generalisation, insulting and partially wrong.

Regardless.

What I think is, that at least for Nintendo games, LPs of them actually increase sales.
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Diabetus put it best.
    Completely shocked that my plan to make a career out of playing video games in my basement has hit a snag
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    I don't see it as Nintendo being dicks about it. They're allowing the content to remain, though they're drawing the ad revenue from it that the video uploader would be drawing.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but a Let's Play uploader profiting from a video of something they had no hand in other than having recorded themselves interacting with it and making comments over it, is something that doesn't sit right with me and smacks of a bit of a double standard if it's not ok for someone to do the same with a movie.

Edit: Or am I misinterpreting what's going on? It is my understanding that if a YouTube poster has enough views they take a chunk of ad revenue? I'm ok with being wrong on this if this is the case.

On the other hand, this way Nintendo is claiming the profits from something they had zero hand in producing: The commentary of the LPer. The LPer already paid for the game in question, and Nintendo has received their profits. They are then claiming the profits from derivative works(the LP), in which they had no input and to which they expended zero effort. Their efforts in producing the game in question have already been compensated for by the purchase of the game used for the LP, and the LP commentary is produced by the LPer using the game as the inspiration/platform on which to construct it. The game in question is interchangeable with other games, movies, books, whatever, and the commentary is the product being consumed by Youtube watchers.

Have you ever read the license agreement for any games you've purchased? They don't actually "own" the game.
    urahonky wrote: »
    I don't see it as Nintendo being dicks about it. They're allowing the content to remain, though they're drawing the ad revenue from it that the video uploader would be drawing.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but a Let's Play uploader profiting from a video of something they had no hand in other than having recorded themselves interacting with it and making comments over it, is something that doesn't sit right with me and smacks of a bit of a double standard if it's not ok for someone to do the same with a movie.

Edit: Or am I misinterpreting what's going on? It is my understanding that if a YouTube poster has enough views they take a chunk of ad revenue? I'm ok with being wrong on this if this is the case.

On the other hand, this way Nintendo is claiming the profits from something they had zero hand in producing: The commentary of the LPer. The LPer already paid for the game in question, and Nintendo has received their profits. They are then claiming the profits from derivative works(the LP), in which they had no input and to which they expended zero effort. Their efforts in producing the game in question have already been compensated for by the purchase of the game used for the LP, and the LP commentary is produced by the LPer using the game as the inspiration/platform on which to construct it. The game in question is interchangeable with other games, movies, books, whatever, and the commentary is the product being consumed by Youtube watchers.

Have you ever read the license agreement for any games you've purchased? They don't actually "own" the game.

Are you referring to the bolded part here?
    steam_sig.png

• Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular

The stuff that I was bringing up, specifically the wording of what is considered content that Nintendo would be grabbing the ad revenue for, is that it's way too broad and will just take it for anything and everything that contains any imagery from their properties, be it an LP or a review or even an achievement guide. The other discussion seems to have switched over to "if a lets play warrants a split of ad revenue with the game creator or not".
    0c52wn2.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Metro 2033 is even a really good personal example for me. Reviewers were all "Game is kind of janky with broken stealth mechanics, but terrific atmosphere" so I was like, "meh". So I watched an LP and saw for myself these elements weren't actually anywhere near that bad in practice and the atmosphere was just fantastic. So I bought the game when I was completely content to skip it after watching about 45 minutes or so.

The fact is that without an LP I would never have bought the game. That is certainly not true of everyone, I know there are people who probably watched an LP but never bought it, but the argument that if we removed LPs it would increase or magically produce more sales is farcical to me. They simply would spend their time watching cats on YouTube, not buying your game.

I'm arguing about watching whole LPs, not just parts of them. That's the thing: If you watch even as much as 1 hour or a game that's 20 hours or more, you've got lots of things still to see. But once you've seen them and - broken record mode ON - there's not terribly much variation, would you still buy it?

What plays into this are rising video game prices and oversaturation of the market as well.

I went back and watched the whole LP too, effectively getting even more enjoyment out of it. Especially when he met the librarians.

You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer. I think it's pretty fair to say they can swing people either way, much like a review except a bigger and more continuous chunk. I also think its reasonable to say people who watch a whole games LP either played it before, it's replayable or they never intended to buy it in the first place.

Also if I watch a whole LP of a non-multiplayer single player game, I did indeed not buy it.

But here is the point: I was never going to buy it. Want an example, Sonic 06. Now be honest, would you buy that game?
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular

Nintendo is hardly being benevolent by allowing the content to remain, if they are claiming all the revenue generated by it, while having put no effort into generating the content(the LP commentary and playing). An argument can only be made if the presented graphics and sounds are considered to be all of the product, which is patently not the case. Current law allows for Nintendo to make the claim of ownership for the LP through their ownership of the assets used to produce the LP, at least to the extent of receiving the revenues generated by the LP. It's doubtful that the LP would generate those revenues if stripped of its commentary and various things done by the player for the purposes of creating the LP. In that case it would be simply a gameplay demo with no extra content, and those are a different product altogether.

See, now that is a point I hadn't thought of and I can totally see where you're coming from in that case.
    Diabetus put it best.
    Completely shocked that my plan to make a career out of playing video games in my basement has hit a snag

Are you arguing against yourself here?

You say that you don't see the problem with the revenue going to Nintendo instead of the LPer.

Then you quote someone saying how ridiculous the argument is that "people shouldn't make profit for just talking over a game.", because it's a lot more expensive than that. You're not going to make a carreer in that because it's not profitable.
    steam_sig.png

• AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think you are interpreting that I say that Nintendo has no legal right to do this. I am not discussing that. Of course if the author is not OK with you putting Let's Plays up and wants to block it is in his legal right to do it.

My argument is not that you should be allowed to do it and that Nintendo only allowed to shut up. My argument is that what these people do is either harmless or beneficial, and that there is no reason for Nintendo to be dicks about it.

Yes @The Wolfman, I'm not doubting that. Wouldn't you consider locking the ending of Gears of War 3 behind a paywall a dick move? I would.

Well, I'm not really concerned with whether it's legal or not, but it was confusing when your argument began with a good example based on licensing.

I'm more concerned with your argument's internal consistency as it applies to both games and movies. Why can't a movie be considered ingredients to be transformed as well?

Since a slight movie remix would still be watched and is quite similar to just sharing the movie, what if we change the format? I'll take a series of HD stills from a movie and sell a book containing them. Do you think the company should not go after me for this? The movie is meant to be watched, not viewed in stills, after all. I paid them once for the Blu-Ray, they got my money, and I'm transforming their product into something else.

You may not think this matters, but I think it is pretty relevant to the thread - that is, if we consider profiting from another's work in one respect to not be ethically acceptable, then how can we consider this other profit to be acceptable?

It's incredibly messy anyway because you get into using the actors' likenesses without their consent and whatnot.

A movie can be considered ingredients, too. I am trying to explain my position over and over but you keep coming back to the same thing.

I think that yes, it should be possible to use IPs as parts of a work further in the chain. In other words, you should be able to use parts of works to do some other work if you are adding some work and some value to the mix, why the hell not. The specific example I was thinking are TB's WTFs, but you can apply it to any review, spuffing, dubbing and whatever you like.

If you are going to ask me for a specific definition of where's the line that says "you have added enough" I have no objective definition.

As an alternative, you could not take my food analogy literally and accept it as a clumsy metaphor and read what I have been writing since then.

Also this post puts it better:

Nintendo is hardly being benevolent by allowing the content to remain, if they are claiming all the revenue generated by it, while having put no effort into generating the content(the LP commentary and playing). Nintendo is "allowing" the LPer to use their time and money to generate free advertising, from which the ad revenues will as well go to Nintendo. An argument can only be made if the presented graphics and sounds are considered to be all of the product, which is patently not the case. Current law allows for Nintendo to make the claim of ownership for the LP through their ownership of the assets used to produce the LP, at least to the extent of receiving the revenues generated by the LP. It's doubtful that the LP would generate those revenues if stripped of its commentary and various things done by the player for the purposes of creating the LP. In that case it would be simply a gameplay demo with no extra content, and those are a different product altogether.

Also, a movie-related example: Red Letter Media and their Star Wars reviews use a shitload of content from the movies, yet the review itself is the product. Should all revenues generated by the review in question be given to Disney, because the "uploader profiting from a video of something they had no hand in other than having recorded themselves interacting with it and making comments over it"?
    Australopitenico on
    urahonky wrote: »
    urahonky It's almost like I made that point, in my actual post! Only those who read it would know of course.

I hit quote before you said that at the end of your post. But my point still stands because it's not just you saying it.

My apologies, I thought it was directed at me! I agree entirely with your core point there.
    Diabetus put it best.

Are you arguing against yourself here?

You say that you don't see the problem with the revenue going to Nintendo instead of the LPer.

Then you quote someone saying how ridiculous the argument is that "people shouldn't make profit for just talking over a game.", because it's a lot more expensive than that. You're not going to make a carreer in that because it's not profitable.

Wooooooooooooooooosh
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Riot Nrrd Registered User regular
    Here's the actual news.

Videos of Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ads for those videos will be for Nintendo.

The problem is that you're misunderstanding the actual news. The actual news is that videos containing Nintendo content are going to be identified and the ad revenue for those videos will go to Nintendo instead of the video's creator.

What's the problem?

I'm not necessarily saying there is one, but you'd do well to understand what is actually happening before passing judgment.
    camo_sig2.png
    edited May 2013
    What's the problem?

It's also targeting reviewers and not just LPers.
    Slayer of Dreams on
    0c52wn2.jpg
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

I'm not necessarily saying there is one, but you'd do well to understand what is actually happening before passing judgment.

I've already made arguments in the thread about how I feel these people aren't entitled to the money they were making using someone else's work as a platform.
    What's the problem?

What's the problem?

If you've got a domain name, generate ad revenue there.
    Metro 2033 is even a really good personal example for me. Reviewers were all "Game is kind of janky with broken stealth mechanics, but terrific atmosphere" so I was like, "meh". So I watched an LP and saw for myself these elements weren't actually anywhere near that bad in practice and the atmosphere was just fantastic. So I bought the game when I was completely content to skip it after watching about 45 minutes or so.

The fact is that without an LP I would never have bought the game. That is certainly not true of everyone, I know there are people who probably watched an LP but never bought it, but the argument that if we removed LPs it would increase or magically produce more sales is farcical to me. They simply would spend their time watching cats on YouTube, not buying your game.

I'm arguing about watching whole LPs, not just parts of them. That's the thing: If you watch even as much as 1 hour or a game that's 20 hours or more, you've got lots of things still to see. But once you've seen them and - broken record mode ON - there's not terribly much variation, would you still buy it?

What plays into this are rising video game prices and oversaturation of the market as well.

I went back and watched the whole LP too, effectively getting even more enjoyment out of it. Especially when he met the librarians.

You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer. I think it's pretty fair to say they can swing people either way, much like a review except a bigger and more continuous chunk. I also think its reasonable to say people who watch a whole games LP either played it before, it's replayable or they never intended to buy it in the first place.

Also if I watch a whole LP of a non-multiplayer single player game, I did indeed not buy it.

But here is the point: I was never going to buy it. Want an example, Sonic 06. Now be honest, would you buy that game?

Again: I'd be happy to drop this point of discussion, at least partially.

However: The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost.

Does that mean LPs generally decrease sale numbers? Probably not, because they are also free advertisement.

You're trying to argue that it's impossible for an LP to stop even a single person from buying a game.

Which is already not true. There've been cases where I wanted a game, however didn't buy it because I still had other games to play. I decided to take a peek at a LP, got hooked, didn't even think about it, watched the whole thing and was then not interested into buying the game anymore.
    steam_sig.png

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    ...judging by the posts in this topic, Sega's response to the shining force situation apparently didn't get far. The resolution:
    Official statement below:

Thank you to all of our fans for waiting while we worked hard to get this issue solved. While SEGA may need to remove videos in rare cases, we’re happy to confirm that there are no further plans to remove Shining Force videos uploaded to Youtube by users living in North American and European territories. Additionally, if you live in these territories and your video was removed, please get in touch with us at communityteam@sega.com so that we can look into it for you.

SEGA believes strongly in our fans and we apologize for any inconvenience. You all are what keep us going – thank you!"

The Shining Force stuff was the result of a japanese employee flagging videos for removal without consent of the company.
    mOimJys.png
    ...judging by the posts in this topic, Sega's response to the shining force situation apparently didn't get far. The resolution:

Thank you to all of our fans for waiting while we worked hard to get this issue solved. While SEGA may need to remove videos in rare cases, we’re happy to confirm that there are no further plans to remove Shining Force videos uploaded to Youtube by users living in North American and European territories. Additionally, if you live in these territories and your video was removed, please get in touch with us at communityteam@sega.com so that we can look into it for you.

SEGA believes strongly in our fans and we apologize for any inconvenience. You all are what keep us going – thank you!"

The Shining Force stuff was the result of a japanese employee flagging videos for removal without consent of the company.

Oh wow, no idea this statement had been issued.
  • JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What's the problem?

What's the problem?

You won't be getting the views and ads from google if you don't put it on YT.
    Jutranjo on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

I've already made arguments in the thread about how I feel these people aren't entitled to the money they were making using someone else's work as a platform.

Well, for one, I'm surprised you still haven't understood it in 6 pages, Nintendo is not just merely showing Nintendo ads but all revenue generated from the videos goes to Nintendo. It's redirecting revenue from the creator (the LP author) to Nintendo. Please understand that. 6 pages. Jesus. It's not just showing Nintendo ads and that's that.

Plus, your second part sounds like a ridiculous argument to be had.

What job do you have that somehow isn't making money off of someone else's work?
    Lilnoobs on
  • A duck!A duck! Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Overzealous staffer strikes again! Sure. Right.
    Favorite quotes
    trentsteel wrote:
    C'mon now

He invented rape rooms

Let's show a little respect.
    Tube's just used to lifting to get the guys.

Curls might get the girls, but to catch bears you need traps.
    What's the problem?

What's the problem?

Youtube does this while also providing hosting services for the content. So... my reply stands. Nintendo is mass carpet bombing the whole country side when all it needs to do is take out the one house on a hillside it's got a problem with.
    0c52wn2.jpg
    edited May 2013

However: The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost.

Really? At what point was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? The answer btw, was never.
    You're trying to argue that it's impossible for an LP to stop even a single person from buying a game.

Actually I have never said that, because I have said LPs to me are like reviews. Do you agree reviews can stop people buying a game? Then viola, LPs can as well. I didn't want to sit through the utterly mediocre gameplay of Spec Ops to see what was special about the story. But then again, this goes into my argument below:

My non-review based argument was about people who never intended to buy the game in the first place watching an LP instead. If the LP does not exist, they do not suddenly go and buy the game, they do something else. The only benefit is a potential sale from the LP if they happen to actually like the game. I watched Spec Ops to see what was special about the story, but no way could I tolerate the bland generic looking gameplay it had. If the LP didn't exist I wouldn't have suddenly bought the game, I would have just read about it instead.
    Aegeri on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

You do realize that this is how most creative works produced have come to be? The degree of using other people's work as a platform varies, it's usually called "inspiration". Almost all creative work uses existing works and cultural issues etc. as the basis for producing new content, and this is something originally recognized in copyright law. It's been long since perverted, but the sentiment is no less valid. You can't really argue that the LP commentary is something that doesn't produce additional value that isn't (at least to some degree) divorced from the game in question. The LP could be produced just as well using other games, or, fuck, playing chess on a board and producing an interesting narrative to it. This all depends on whether you consider the LP to be the product, or the LP to be of strictly tertiary importance to the game being presented, and the success(or lack of it) of the LP to be unrelated to the quality of the LP as a product, and dependent entirely on the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV1bpMamCtY
    steam_sig.png
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

Well, for one, I'm surprised you still haven't understood it in 6 pages, Nintendo is not just merely showing Nintendo ads but all revenue generated from the videos goes to Nintendo. It's redirecting revenue from the creator (the LP author) to Nintendo. Please understand that. 6 pages. Jesus. It's not just showing Nintendo ads and that's that.

What job do you have that somehow isn't making money off of someone else's work?

I... what the fuck? Yes I know that Nintendo is taking the ad revenue. Did I not flat out say it here in this thread? I apologize, I've discussed this topic in places aside from here and don't remember what I've precisely said where. Are you done?
    edited May 2013

Really? At what point was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? The answer btw, was never.

Actually I have never said that, because I have said LPs to me are like reviews. Do you agree reviews can stop people buying a game? Then viola, LPs can as well.

My non-review based argument was about people who never intended to buy the game in the first place watching an LP instead. If the LP does not exist, they do not suddenly go and buy the game, they do something else.

At what point did I argue that you were?

"You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer."

I explained it to you. No matter how small the ammount, the point stands.

Please stop being degrading or insulting in your posts and making up strawmen.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• Lindsey LohanLindsey Lohan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really think the LPers have to consider themselves lucky that companies haven't done more take down requests on complete LPs the more I think about this subject. While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

The first game I thought of was Spec Ops. I played through Spec Ops and while I enjoyed it, I can say for certain that someone watching a Let's Play probably would get enough of the experience that buying it might feel optional to them. If that company decided to take down LPs, I could completely understand it. Nintendo is saying you can share the entire content of their game, just don't expect to get paid for it.

I don't see why this is surprising - if I put up a video of an entire NBA game with me doing my own commentary, I guarantee it won't last long on YouTube, if I put up a commentary over Season 1 of Game of Thrones, I'll bet it disappears rapidly. LPers are fortunate they were able to profit from this at all, this is actually a pretty friendly move by Nintendo compared to the alternative.

Lindsey Lohan on
    steam_sig.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    So does this mean that Speed runs and shit will be changed to direct the revenue from whoever is doing the playing to nintendo? I mean without Nintendo's games they wouldnt have the game to put the hours upon hours of practice and effort in, right?
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.

Many of the channels have also been restored, and those that haven't are in the process of being restored. Aaron Webber posted the response at Shining Force Central, expecting them to pass it along. I guess it didn't.

The problem was a breakdown in communication between SOJ and SOA. A japanese employee was flagging Shining Force content thinking it was related to the then-upcoming Shining Ark. Once the community got the ear of Sega Digital manager RubyEclipse, the problem was resolved.
    mOimJys.png
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

You do realize that this is how most creative works produced have come to be? The degree of using other people's work as a platform varies, it's usually called "inspiration". Almost all creative work uses existing works and cultural issues etc. as the basis for producing new content, and this is something originally recognized in copyright law. It's been long since perverted, but the sentiment is no less valid. You can't really argue that the LP commentary is something that doesn't produce additional value that isn't (at least to some degree) divorced from the game in question. The LP could be produced just as well using other games, or, fuck, playing chess on a board and producing an interesting narrative to it. This all depends on whether you consider the LP to be the product, or the LP to be of strictly tertiary importance to the game being presented, and the success(or lack of it) of the LP to be unrelated to the quality of the LP as a product, and dependent entirely on the game.

There's a difference between the inspiration to create and the 'inspiration' to talk over someone else's work while you engage it. In the latter you are creating nothing.

Yes, the LPs are producing some sort of entertainment. But people making it their 'business' need to understand there's a right way and wrong way to do it. You wanna make a career out of playing video games in the LP fashion? Contact a developer or publisher with a portfolio of your work and proof of traffic you generate. Offer to do marketing for them, either for a fee (game to game, freelancing your marketing skills) or hook up exclusively with a company for a time. Now you have an actual job playing video games, complete with the blessings and not getting caught up in legal bullshit about what you may or may not be entitled to.

Nintendo demonstrated that the income stream can close, it is not inherent with just uploading any fucking thing to YouTube.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I wish somebody would have mentioned earlier in life that, had I put a video camera behind me while I played all those video games and put the resulting videos on the net, I could have made some mad bling yo.
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    Pokemon Black code - 3009 7390 5907 Send PM if you add me
    edited May 2013
    You said "The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost".

Did you not write that? So again, when was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? Or is this point flat out wrong as my reply indicates it is?
    Aegeri on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really think the LPers have to consider themselves lucky that companies haven't done more take down requests on complete LPs the more I think about this subject. While reviews seem to be free advertising, in many single player games giving away the entire plot could certainly cost sales.

The first game I thought of was Spec Ops. I played through Spec Ops and while I enjoyed it, I can say for certain that someone watching a Let's Play probably would get enough of the experience that buying it might feel optional to them. If that company decided to take down LPs, I could completely understand it. Nintendo is saying you can share the entire content of their game, just don't expect to get paid for it.

I don't see why this is surprising - if I put up a video of an entire NBA game with me doing my own commentary, I guarantee it won't last long on YouTube, if I put up a commentary over Season 1 of Game of Thrones, I'll bet it disappears rapidly. LPers are fortunate they were able to profit from this at all, this is actually a pretty friendly move by Nintendo compared to the alternative.

Spec Ops is a good example because the whole buzz of that game was that the game was the gameplay was pretty bland but the writing was great. I watched an LP of Spec Ops and was like "welp, that was Ok, now I have no desire to play this game".
    You do realize that this is how most creative works produced have come to be? The degree of using other people's work as a platform varies, it's usually called "inspiration". Almost all creative work uses existing works and cultural issues etc. as the basis for producing new content, and this is something originally recognized in copyright law. It's been long since perverted, but the sentiment is no less valid.

Inspiration isn't the same thing as a straight usage.
    Jeedan on
    samnmaxsigco0.jpg

Many of the channels have also been restored, and those that haven't are in the process of being restored. Aaron Webber posted the response at Shining Force Central, expecting them to pass it along. I guess it didn't.

The problem was a breakdown in communication between SOJ and SOA. A japanese employee was flagging Shining Force content thinking it was related to the then-upcoming Shining Ark. Once the community got the ear of Sega Digital manager RubyEclipse, the problem was resolved.

So it was still a big ol' mess but there's a resolution. Okay, that Sega thing is less destructive than it actually was.
    edited May 2013
    You said "The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost".

Did you not write that? So again, when was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? Or is this point flat out wrong as my reply indicates it is?

1. You didn't show me the point where I said "before this condition is met, you were of the opposite opinion."

2. You ignored the rest of my post.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

I... what the fuck? Yes I know that Nintendo is taking the ad revenue. Did I not flat out say it here in this thread? I apologize, I've discussed this topic in places aside from here and don't remember what I've precisely said where. Are you done?
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.
    Can I be honest? People making money off playing video games in an unsponsored manner is probably worse than this.

Nintendo isn't exactly in the wrong here. It's weird and all, but if it's their games (their copyrighted material) they can do this. I guess. I mean, I dunno. How bad is it really for an ad to appear at the start, or end, or beside another video? People generally hyper-react to advertising anyway. Maybe a chill pill is in order. Nintendo could've said, "Why are you broadcasting our material?" and have things removed. But they're leaving the content up.

The only people getting mad about this are people making dollars off this sorta thing. I think that anyone who is actually into promoting and celebrating a game / the company that made it are gonna be fine with this.

Sounds like you didn't quite understand the situation from these and other posts.

Still waiting for your magical job that doesn't depend on other's work.

While you're thinking of that, try reading
    http://www.salon.com/2011/10/01/creative_class_is_a_lie/
    Because this whole making a career or bling bling from moma's basement is a myth, and quite frankly it's disheartening that you are advocating for Nintendo's position

After that, you might want to take a look at this--what you, and others are perpetuating here is this all or nothing capitlism we see time after time when it comes to Internet and content. Basically, your position may be increasing the inequality in society--part of the destruction of the middle class.
    http://www.salon.com/2013/05/12/jaron_lanier_the_internet_destroyed_the_middle_class/

It's not just a dick move Nintendo took, and it's technically within their 'right' (who created these rights? why do these rights exist? are rights always right?), but it's short-sighted and is the wrong move for the Internet to take.

Lilnoobs on
    Jeedan wrote: »

Spec Ops is a good example because the whole buzz of that game was that the game was the gameplay was pretty bland but the writing was great. I watched an LP of Spec Ops and was like "welp, that was Ok, now I have no desire to play this game".

@Aegeri

"You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer."
    steam_sig.png

While I generally detest let's plays (I can't stand people talking over a game I'm trying to engage in), I do have an affinity towards Long Plays. Those are straight runs of an entire game, no commentary, no TAS. I've gauged easily hundreds of purchases off of those videos, as they give me a greater feel for the game than a biased review, without commentary injected from (somewhat) untrustworthy players. It's just the game in its rawest form.

Such videos would almost certainly be subject to removal because of this policy, which bums me out. They're a useful tool for me, and not a substitute to actually playing the game.

This entire conversation about the morality and legality of Let's Plays is about copyleft, btw. I don't think anybody is going to walk away from this topic satisfied, because the entire concept of copyleft is still fiercely debated.

For what its worth, my own personal solution to all this is to do exactly what rifftrax does - release an audio-only video that the uploader can profit off of, and let nintendo (or whoever) profit off of advertisements for the gameplay. Basically split the audio and video. You could use an external website like youtube doubler to sync, or develop a 3rd party app to sync downloaded video like Rifftrax supplies. This would let both parties profit off of the parts of the final product they own.
    mOimJys.png
    Here's the actual news.

What's the problem?

Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I don't think anyone's arguing that its not within Nintendo's rights to do this. It just comes off as a silly decision (to me personally).

It's silly and harmless. People saying that there should be some sort of LP protest though are elevating it.
    Can I be honest? People making money off playing video games in an unsponsored manner is probably worse than this.

Nintendo isn't exactly in the wrong here. It's weird and all, but if it's their games (their copyrighted material) they can do this. I guess. I mean, I dunno. How bad is it really for an ad to appear at the start, or end, or beside another video? People generally hyper-react to advertising anyway. Maybe a chill pill is in order. Nintendo could've said, "Why are you broadcasting our material?" and have things removed. But they're leaving the content up.

The only people getting mad about this are people making dollars off this sorta thing. I think that anyone who is actually into promoting and celebrating a game / the company that made it are gonna be fine with this.

Sounds like you didn't quite understand the situation from these and other posts.

Still waiting for your magical job that doesn't depend on other's work.

While you're thinking of that, try reading
    http://www.salon.com/2011/10/01/creative_class_is_a_lie/
    Because this whole making a career or bling bling from moma's basement is a myth, and quite frankly it's disheartening that you are advocating for Nintendo's position

After that, you might want to take a look at this--what you, and others are perpetuating here is this all or nothing capitlism we see time after time when it comes to Internet and content. Basically, your position may be increasing the inequality in society--part of the destruction of the middle class.
    http://www.salon.com/2013/05/12/jaron_lanier_the_internet_destroyed_the_middle_class/

It's not just a dick move Nintendo took, and it's technically within their 'right' (who created this rights? why do these rights exist? are rights always right?), but it's short-sighted and is the wrong move for the Internet to take.

Here, let me try to make myself clear in a brazen matter.

Get a real job.