Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Nintendo decides it owns YouTube's Let's Play scene

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I don't really get the out-rage. I probably would if I watched more nintendo LP's or made my own.

I'm just kinda miffed in a 'really now' kinda way.

I don't really have a dog in the hunt. I can see both sides of the argument clearly and think both sides have merit. I think legally this is well within Nintendo's right, but it might be a bit morally disingenuous. I think the people who tend to make LPs are usually super fans and they don't really intend to fuck over any parent company, and that there isn't much morally wrong with what they're doing, but legally it's pretty gray.

Mostly I think it's just a sad situation.
    mOimJys.png
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    No one is bothering to build up the rules surrounding LPing at the moment (not least because nobody's quite sure whose ball park it should fall into to regulate).
    Nintendo seems to have taken the first step.

And the response is mixed.

Blizzard, Valve and Riot Games had already taken steps before this. They allow streaming, uploading to YT, you can run ads and get money from this.

Look at Valve adding user created hats and cosmetic models to DOTA2 and TF2. People are adding stuff to the games and they're getting something for it. Used to be these would just be local mods or skins like in Quake.

All 3 of them have advertising for player streams and tournaments directly in the client itself.

Nintendo isn't the the first company to write something on this blank legal slate.

Ah, good point. It still falls into the realm of Nintendo being the one to make the decision for their case. They've decided to allow for content but not profiting from it. It's a weird middleground, because they could've not allowed the content at all.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    I disagree with the statement that they are free advertising.

Sometimes they are. Sometimes they're not.

It depends on both the style of the person LP'ing it and the wants and needs of the viewer. If the person making the video just shits all over it, that's not exactly advertisement. If a person is watching it because they feel it is an acceptable replacement to playing it themselves(and plenty of these people exist), that's not exactly advertisement. The fact that sometimes some people might buy a game because of a LP does not make them completely and uniformly free advertisement.

Just call it 'broadcast word of mouth' or 'free buzz' then. Same connotation but with the implication that sometimes maybe there's an asshole doing the preaching. :P
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    and in conclusion, copyright law is all sorts of outdated and has a hard time adjusting to the norms of a networked and connected populace.

probably the only thing this entire thread can agree upon. The reach of copyright laws and their impact is staggering. Given their incredible importance in today's increasingly connected digital world, it's staggering how one-sided copyright laws are and how poor they do their intended job.
    mOimJys.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular

It depends on both the style of the person LP'ing it and the wants and needs of the viewer. If the person making the video just shits all over it, that's not exactly advertisement. If a person is watching it because they feel it is an acceptable replacement to playing it themselves(and plenty of these people exist), that's not exactly advertisement. The fact that sometimes some people might buy a game because of a LP does not make them completely and uniformly free advertisement.

Just call it 'broadcast word of mouth' or 'free buzz' then. Same connotation but with the implication that sometimes maybe there's an asshole doing the preaching. :P

Well I feel that people use the words "free advertisement" as a way of making Nintendo look like they are, like, ungrateful or something, and that LPs do nothing but help game sales.

When that's not really true.

We don't really know how much they help or harm sales, beyond knowing through anecdotal evidence that both can happen.

It's actually quite similar to the piracy argument where it's "pirated copies is less money for the devs!" vs. "The people pirating would have never bought the game anyway!"

The actual truth of the situation is somewhere in the very muddy middle.
    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Well I feel that people use the words "free advertisement" as a way of making Nintendo look like they are, like, ungrateful or something, and that LPs do nothing but help game sales.

We don't really know how much they help or harm sales, beyond knowing through anecdotal evidence that both can happen.

It's actually quite similar to the piracy argument where it's "pirated copies is less money for the devs!" vs. "The people pirating would have never bought the game anyway!"

I actually think it runs pretty close to the used game argument on both sides, except the people who would usually be screaming bloody murder over no longer being able to sell their games are now giving Nintendo a free pass.

It's perfectly legal for a company to require an activation key for a game, and it's perfectly legal for Nintendo to do what they're doing in regards to LPs.

However neither stance is going to benefit the company in any large way, and ends up just pissing off the game community as a whole. And the real question here is, is pissing off a segment of users with powerful voices in the community really worth it?
    Death of Rats on
    steam_sig.png
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular

It also depends on the game in question. Like I have no doubt in my mind that League benefits from it's open youtube policy but for singleplayer games it's probably a lot muddier.

Which is why I said I'd be cool with Nintendo just blanket saying 'no youtube vids guys'.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Aegeri wrote: »
    You said "The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost".

Did you not write that? So again, when was I ever going to buy Sonic 06? Or is this point flat out wrong as my reply indicates it is?

1. You didn't show me the point where I said "before this condition is met, you were of the opposite opinion."

In short you cannot tell me that I was ever going to buy Sonic 06, because it was dreadful. But I have watched two entirely hilarious LPs of it!

Your argument requires knowledge in advance of why someone is watching the LP. If it was for a game that the person never intended to buy in the first place, your argument automatically fails. In fact it then turns into the absolute opposite: The only thing to gain is a sale, which completely demolishes any argument you have.

And ultimately leaves us at the point that LPs can function entirely like reviews, letting people decide to continue watching it or if it's worth while buying the game. As for ignoring the rest, it's irrelevant because this is the core point right here that you've highlighted. If you're a publisher, you probably want to believe your statement is always true, but in the real world it's probably not at all true for the majority of cases.

Again, there are people who watch LPs of games they have played, or are playing (for advice/hints/solutions), there are people who do indeed never intend to buy the game but may watch it (comedy, eg sonic), there are people who will buy it because they like the LP when they wouldn't have and yes, there are people who will change their mind deciding the game will suck.

Your very base and over simplistic argument of "watches LP = lost sale" is thus not relevant enough to how these things actually work.

Unless again, you want to tell me where I and the thousands IRRC of people who have watched Pikapuffs LP of Sonic 06. Hell the latest Game Grumps Sonic 06 episode has 109,930 views. Would you, in the context of your argument, please advise me on how many of these people ever intended to buy Sonic 06 before watching the LP? Or can you see the greater point at work now?

I'm tired of arguing with you. I have proven you wrong, you argue points I do not make.

You have not proven anything at all, like how your argument I have quoted relates at all to what actually happens.

Again, 109,930 people have viewed the latest game grumps episode of Sonic 06. How many of them are lost sales? Or are you completely conceding your argument?

I think you misquoted. I never argued that.

Um. Actually you did. This is your post on the previous page.

Metro 2033 is even a really good personal example for me. Reviewers were all "Game is kind of janky with broken stealth mechanics, but terrific atmosphere" so I was like, "meh". So I watched an LP and saw for myself these elements weren't actually anywhere near that bad in practice and the atmosphere was just fantastic. So I bought the game when I was completely content to skip it after watching about 45 minutes or so.

The fact is that without an LP I would never have bought the game. That is certainly not true of everyone, I know there are people who probably watched an LP but never bought it, but the argument that if we removed LPs it would increase or magically produce more sales is farcical to me. They simply would spend their time watching cats on YouTube, not buying your game.

I'm arguing about watching whole LPs, not just parts of them. That's the thing: If you watch even as much as 1 hour or a game that's 20 hours or more, you've got lots of things still to see. But once you've seen them and - broken record mode ON - there's not terribly much variation, would you still buy it?

What plays into this are rising video game prices and oversaturation of the market as well.

I went back and watched the whole LP too, effectively getting even more enjoyment out of it. Especially when he met the librarians.

You know what point you are deliberately missing or avoiding? Explain to me how not having LPs increases sales and you don't get "Space magic" as an answer. I think it's pretty fair to say they can swing people either way, much like a review except a bigger and more continuous chunk. I also think its reasonable to say people who watch a whole games LP either played it before, it's replayable or they never intended to buy it in the first place.

Also if I watch a whole LP of a non-multiplayer single player game, I did indeed not buy it.

But here is the point: I was never going to buy it. Want an example, Sonic 06. Now be honest, would you buy that game?

Again: I'd be happy to drop this point of discussion, at least partially.

However: The instant you decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), you decide against buying it. Sale lost.

Does that mean LPs generally decrease sale numbers? Probably not, because they are also free advertisement.

You're trying to argue that it's impossible for an LP to stop even a single person from buying a game.

Which is already not true. There've been cases where I wanted a game, however didn't buy it because I still had other games to play. I decided to take a peek at a LP, got hooked, didn't even think about it, watched the whole thing and was then not interested into buying the game anymore.

So yes. You actually did argue that.

So you concede that argument was entirely wrong, or will you make some argument as to how many of the 100,000ish people watching that Game Grumps LP of Sonic 06 decided not to buy the game? Bear in mind my disagreement is specifically with the bolded portion, because you inherently assume someone wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. If that assumption is wrong, the entire premise of that argument collapses. Do you agree or disagree? Because if you see the error, then indeed, you don't need to tell me why myself (and many others) probably never were going to buy Sonic 06 in the first place.

On the other hand, I would like to know your logic for why these people wanted to buy the game before they watched the LP. That's my problem with your argument as it only works if someone intended to buy the game, watched the LP and then didn't buy it. You miss the equally likely chance (sometimes more likely) that someone has utterly no interest in buying the game in the first place before watching the LP.

That line doesn't mean what you think it does. It's neither relating to you, nor stating that any person that met this condition was before of the opinion that they should buy this game.

That's incorrect. If you read what you wrote, you clearly state that watching an LP means they decide not to buy the game and so it's a lost sale. You are indeed, stating it absolutely. If you wanted to be clear you should have instead wrote:

However: For someone who wanted to buy the game originally, the instant they decide to watch a complete LP of a linear game (and follow through with it), they may decide against buying it. So a Sale lost.

Which I would find very hard to disagree with, because it's true. If the person at the start has no intention of buying the game, then the LP can only be potentially positive in convincing them to do so. Otherwise it's no net negative effect anyway, the sale was never theirs in the first place.
    Either you're comprehending it wrong, or you're deliberately maing false claims.

Alternatively: You have communicated your point extremely poorly.

After 2 pages, you still don't get the line right, or why you're still wrong.

Here's a hint: There's a reason I wrote what I wrote instead of what you wrote in bold letters.

Because you like being inaccurate? I mean, I quoted exactly what you wrote and you're still trying to claim you didn't say what you actually clearly wrote. That argument implicitly requires that people want to buy the game originally for it to be a lost sale. If they don't, it's not a lost sale. That simple.

I wasn't critizicing your quoting. You quoted correct, you just misunderstood. I wasn't being inaccurate.

If you have problem understanding either that "You [verb] something" can and often relates to everyone instead of a single person, you have a problem with the english language. I wasn't being vague or misleading either.

Not to mention that you also don't understand the concept of leaving an option open instead of creating a condition. There's a huge difference between "When A, then B." and "When A and ONLY A, then B." Just because you fail to understand doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    and in conclusion, copyright law is all sorts of outdated and has a hard time adjusting to the norms of a networked and connected populace.

Outdated in the sense that it needs an overhaul though, not in the sense that it isn't needed anymore. Problem being that it's not always as simple as we'd like to think.
    Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    Also for singleplayer games, Rockstar added in game replays and editing with direct uploading to Youtube! In a singleplayer game. You can assume they're fine with people putting videos on youtube.
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror Riot Nrrd Registered User regular
    Fact is, all the content in the game was created by Nintendo. The reason you can't make money off a LP is the same reason Mike Myers couldn't play Stairway to Heaven in Wayne's World. You might be able to argue "fair use" with an LP if you weren't making money off it.

Fair Use is not required to be noncommercial. If it were, shows like The Daily Show, Siskel and Ebert, and X-Play could not exist. Commercial intent is just one among many criteria used to determine such a thing.

And no, I'm not saying Let's Plays necessarily are Fair Use. Just that it's silly to disqualify them based on that.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    By the way Nintendo isn't taking down anyways LPs of their content, nor are they even using this on videos less than ten minutes in length, they are just putting ads before their own damn content.

MS unless you are partnered with Machima will take down videos of Halo content if you are monetizing them plus many of their other core franchises. Most record labels will throw up ads before any video fan made or not that uses one of their songs. Your home video of your kitten dancing around to some obscure hit of the 80's might get monetized by that system.

If you want to not pay Nintendo all you have to do is one of two simple things to escape this auto check.

1. Make the videos less than ten seconds long.

or

2. Escape the primary detection methods of the game, i.e. don't show the main screen and mute the game audio, that's what they use to detect this.

Also other studios have been doing stuff even more nefarious (Sega takes down any video related to a series with forthcoming games so that they can have favorable search results, i.e the last two Shining Force games) and other companies have used this in the relatively benign fashion of stopping people from monetizing OST dumps, you know when they just show the same damn background image and upload the entire soundtrack on one playlist.

TL:DR Nintendo isn't shutting down anyone. They are just substituting anyone else's attempt to monetize their own content. If you still want to make money off of Nintendo's back, there are ways around it even on Youtube. Other companies have done much worse things and have been for awhile now.
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    *sighs* Maybe I just see the blatent redistribution of a creative medium as something other than free advertising. But hey.. I still hold notions that copyright means something in this world. LPers are creating the audio feed, not the video. A very good argument could be made for this being piracy, especially with single player or narrative driven games that don't have a lot of emergent gameplay in them.

No, actually, they're creating the video feeds as well.
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    By the way Nintendo isn't taking down anyways LPs of their content, nor are they even using this on videos less than ten minutes in length, they are just putting ads before their own damn content.

MS unless you are partnered with Machima will take down videos of Halo content if you are monetizing them plus many of their other core franchises. Most record labels will throw up ads before any video fan made or not that uses one of their songs. Your home video of your kitten dancing around to some obscure hit of the 80's might get monetized by that system.

If you want to not pay Nintendo all you have to do is one of two simple things to escape this auto check.

or

2. Escape the primary detection methods of the game, i.e. don't show the main screen and mute the game audio, that's what they use to detect this.

Also other studios have been doing stuff even more nefarious (Sega takes down any video related to a series with forthcoming games so that they can have favorable search results, i.e the last two Shining Force games) and other companies have used this in the relatively benign fashion of stopping people from monetizing OST dumps, you know when they just show the same damn background image and upload the entire soundtrack on one playlist.

TL:DR Nintendo isn't shutting down anyone. They are just substituting anyone else's attempt to monetize their own content. If you still want to make money off of Nintendo's back, there are ways around it even on Youtube. Other companies have done much worse things and have been for awhile now.

So you're stating than a Let's Play is 100% Nintendo's content?
    steam_sig.png
  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    I never said Fair Use requires the use to be non-commercial. Unlike a review, a LP fails Amount & Substantiality pretty handily, so the only way you'd be able to even begin to argue fair use is if you weren't making money from it, since using it to generate revenue means it fails just about every other test of fair use, too. Still might not pass muster anyway, but you don't even have a shot if you're getting checks from your LP videos.
    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »

or

The game sure as shit is; the audio, the visual, the scenario. It's not a wholly new work, and hell it's not even a derivation (which Nintendo would still have a claim on)

Hell if you did an audio only LP of the game ala a rifftrax you'd be free and clear.
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

Outdated in the sense that it needs an overhaul though, not in the sense that it isn't needed anymore. Problem being that it's not always as simple as we'd like to think.
    yeah im not saying we need to get rid of it, but it's clearly not serving its purpose
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy | blog

or

The game sure as shit is; the audio, the visual, the scenario. It's not a wholly new work, and hell it's not even a derivation (which Nintendo would still have a claim on)

Hell if you did an audio only LP of the game ala a rifftrax you'd be free and clear.

You can't do an audio only LP like you do for movies. That's the whole point. Movie commentary is audio synced up to the movie. LP add gameplay and audio. You could run an emulator that recorded audio and key presses and distribute that file but that raises the barrier to entry from just clicking a YT link.

There used to be demo (.dem) files for Quake speed runs. People used to commentate Warcraft 3 tournament games by distributing an audio file since not many people had the capability to make a good video or the bandwidth to distribute it. You loaded up the replay and started both the audio and the game at the same time, you even had an app for that.

or

However, the game itself does not constitute 100% of the LP content, yet Nintendo is claiming ownership of 100%. Personally, I have an issue with that, and if the advertising revenue was split in some way the situation would be wholly different. By claiming all advertising revenue, Nintendo is essentially claiming ownership of work they have had zero hand in producing(the commentary of the LP), and this strikes me and some other people as greedy douchebaggery. It is perfectly legal for them to do, doesn't make it any more right.

The degree to which the game content constitutes the LP depends on the LPer. In some cases with minimal commentary etc. it can be close to 100% and virtually indistinguishable from an extended gameplay demonstration. In other cases the game content can be a miniscule part of the finished LP, where the commentary, various hijinx and extra content derived in some way from the game may constitute a majority of the Let's Play being watched.
    steam_sig.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Didn't think this throughRegistered User regular
    if you were doing an LP because you wanted that sweet youtube money (ahahahhahaahaha), instead of because you enjoyed the game and had something informative or amusing to say about it: chances are you were a pretty shitty LPer anyways.

I'm pretty ok with these people getting fewer incentives to do what they do
    As you're about to learn, the tenacity of a debt collector runs deep as the sea.
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Nintendo's concern is, that a few months from now, there is going to be a Let's Play for The Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3 and viewers are going to be flooded with ads for Knack or other products that are in direct competition with them.

I'd bet this entire initiative is the result of somebody in Nintendo corporate loading up some Youtube content and seeing competing content advertised over their own stuff.

Both of these, so much so. I work for a large retail chain supporting their online website. One of things we have on our site is Google Ads, and it was very explicit from the very beginning that no competitors are to show on the ads. It's view as one of the dumbest mistakes the company could make to have ads showing up encouraging people to shop at our competitor.

Also, the Exec comment is probably more accurate than you think. I can't tell you how many project requirements I've seen come down the pipe because a VP didn't like the experience. Example, our error page used to say something like "Oops, you've experienced an issue." VP didn't like that, so any errors had to be changed to start with "Sorry" instead of "Oops".
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's highly likely that an exec saw ads for non-Nintendo content attached to Nintendo content and issued an edict to their YouTube group to fix it asap without thinking about possible backlash.
    edited May 2013
    Nintendo's concern is, that a few months from now, there is going to be a Let's Play for The Wonderful 101 or Pikmin 3 and viewers are going to be flooded with ads for Knack or other products that are in direct competition with them.

I'd bet this entire initiative is the result of somebody in Nintendo corporate loading up some Youtube content and seeing competing content advertised over their own stuff.

Both of these, so much so. I work for a large retail chain supporting their online website. One of things we have on our site is Google Ads, and it was very explicit from the very beginning that no competitors are to show on the ads. It's view as one of the dumbest mistakes the company could make to have ads showing up encouraging people to shop at our competitor.

Also, the Exec comment is probably more accurate than you think. I can't tell you how many project requirements I've seen come down the pipe because a VP didn't like the experience. Example, our error page used to say something like "Oops, you've experienced an issue." VP didn't like that, so any errors had to be changed to start with "Sorry" instead of "Oops".

Yet this is something that could have been achieved without also taking the ad revenue. Even if we're talking about minuscule amounts of money, it's more of the principle of the thing.
    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Yet this is something that could have been achieved without also taking the ad revenue. Even if we're talking about minuscule amounts of money, it's more of the principle of the thing.

It probably started as "we don't want ads for our competitors on videos with our content, hey lawyers, take care of that", the lawyers saw that these videos were making money, and went further than the intention. However, the principle of the matter is that Nintendo and other publishers are deserving of revenue here if the LPers are making money off of Nintendo's content without their consent. It's still first and foremost their content. I agree that there should be a split, but I'd argue that it's up to the LPers to work that out with Nintendo, not the other way around. I would strongly support a central licensing agency for situations like this so LPers don't have to work out separate agreements with Nintendo / Activision / Ubisoft / 2K Games etc, but who knows if such a thing will ever happen.

That said, it sounds like the algorithms that YouTube are using to determine which videos are using too much of Nintendo's content are overly broad and are even impacting videos on channels where Nintendo supposedly already has agreements in place about revenue-sharing.

or

However, the game itself does not constitute 100% of the LP content, yet Nintendo is claiming ownership of 100%. Personally, I have an issue with that, and if the advertising revenue was split in some way the situation would be wholly different. By claiming all advertising revenue, Nintendo is essentially claiming ownership of work they have had zero hand in producing(the commentary of the LP), and this strikes me and some other people as greedy douchebaggery. It is perfectly legal for them to do, doesn't make it any more right.

The degree to which the game content constitutes the LP depends on the LPer. In some cases with minimal commentary etc. it can be close to 100% and virtually indistinguishable from an extended gameplay demonstration. In other cases the game content can be a miniscule part of the finished LP, where the commentary, various hijinx and extra content derived in some way from the game may constitute a majority of the Let's Play being watched.

I'm curious if you have any examples where you would say the commentary + hijinx + extra content constitutes a majority of the LP over the original game content. I don't watch many LPs, so I honestly don't know of any. I would think that the added parts are still based on the original game content / systems put in place by the designers and could never outweigh the game content itself, but without examples, I can't say for sure.
    pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
    pslong9 wrote: »
    I'm curious if you have any examples where you would say the commentary + hijinx + extra content constitutes a majority of the LP over the original game content. I don't watch many LPs, so I honestly don't know of any. I would think that the added parts are still based on the original game content / systems put in place by the designers and could never outweigh the game content itself, but without examples, I can't say for sure.

This Arcanum LP adds some storytelling because he made a backstory for his main character: http://lparchive.org/Arcanum/

Ultima 4,5,6 explains the mechanics, how some things were implemented in code, hijinks: http://lparchive.org/Ultima-4-5-and-6/

These are text only, I can find you some video ones later but these surely also fall under this whole topic, what with using the game's assets are world building.
  • Shady3011Shady3011 they cant troll you if there dead Registered User regular
    I find it funny that these Youtubers (let's be honest, they are the only ones getting up in arms about this) think that their "boycott" will somehow stop other people from filling that void.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Does twitch split its ad revenue with the people streaming?
    There might be special cases, but I don't believe so.

I thought not, or else Bazza wouldn't be asking for donations given how popular his streams are.

Again: Youtube is a case of a copyrighted product being reproduced for money without the consent of the copyright holder. And if you don't protect your copyright, you lose it. Expect to see more announcements in this vein going forward.

This is only true for Trademarks, not copyright. A common mistake, and a viewpoint that many publishers like to put forward to help justify their actions, but not the view of the courts.
    steam_sig.png
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    I find it funny that these Youtubers (let's be honest, they are the only ones getting up in arms about this) think that their "boycott" will somehow stop other people from filling that void.

Why would someone else want to spend a long time and a lot of effort if they aren't going to be repaid for their effort? Sure, you could argue that the diehard fans would still be doing just because they enjoy the game and want to share it with others. That's true. But you wouldn't find stuff like the actual Lets Play youtube channel popping up, with comedic personalities playing video games being the main draw. Noone that watches the Rooster Teeth LPs are watching for the games they play (Minecraft notwithstanding, that game's whole existence is an anomaly for examples that would include it). Their Monopoly LP has over 2 million views over it's two videos. Hell, the more popular games that they do an LP of on or make a game out of, regularly have 1.2 to 1.5 million views per video. They would not be wasting their time away from custom animation and machinima episodes if there wasn't an audience wanting to see videos of them playing games and just being generally silly the whole time. I know, because I don't watch most of their other content, just the LPs where certain players are on them, because I find those specific ones humorous.
    Slayer of Dreams on
    0c52wn2.jpg
    edited May 2013

Why would someone else want to spend a long time and a lot of effort if they aren't going to be repaid for their effort?

That's why I said Youtubers.

Also, some people will watch any shit some of those same people poop out. See pewdiepie.
    Shady3011 on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Honestly, the only thing that annoys me about this is more ads on Youtube videos. It's ridiculous when they put an ad on a 30 second Youtube video that itself is 30 seconds, and I'm trying to stream it on my phone. Though if Nintendo is only targeting videos over 10 minutes long, then I'm ok with that. Ads on Youtube are a thing, I've been dinged for putting up videos that featured a song (I did an Indiana Jones parody and used the music) and you know what they did?
    This video previously contained a copyrighted audio track. Due to a claim by a copyright holder, the audio track has been muted.

They muted the whole thing. Removed the audio track completely. They didn't just monetize it, they didn't allow it, they completely stripped the audio out of my video.

In the movie industry, Rifftrax is a great example, we cannot stream an entire movie and put our commentary over it and expect to get paid for it. You better believe the MPAA would be all over that removing EVERYTHING. That's why Rifftrax has to release only the audio commentary and you have to provide the movie.

Nintendo is being pretty cool about all of this, because essentially they own what is being shown on the video. What if they decided to just strip all the video out and leave your audio commentary? That would be bad. Or if they simply removed every video. Putting an ad on it? Yeah, it's not awesome, but I can't really fault them for it.

It would be nice if some of these LPers who try and do this as a sort of job would be able to contact Nintendo and perhaps work out a split share of the profit from ad views on Youtube, but I don't know that Nintendo would work with that. I doubt it.
    steam_sig.png
    Backloggery XBox Live 3DS: 1805-2274-4550 (Jonathan)
    That's the thing that gets me. If this is your day job, you should probably be thinking about a plan B.
    edited May 2013
    pslong9 wrote: »

To give some examples, Helloween4545's LPs are something I watch primarily for his commentary, which ranges from fairly outlandish stories to wordgames, mockery, and many other issues related to the games he's playing. He also tends to come up with various miniature memes alongside the playthroughs, and generally the LP presents the watcher a significantly different view of the game being played as a result. His LPs go through the games, but his commentary and various things he messes around with and does in them are most of the reason I watch them. I know I sure as hell wouldn't just watch someone playing the games he plays without any commentary and silliness.

Research Indicates made an LP of Crimson Skies(although I didn't see that on Youtube), where he interspersed the gameplay with commentary on aviation and the background story of the Crimson Skies universe and its various connotations. He also made mini-documentaries related to aviation history and how many issues are related to the game, as well as nearly encyclopedic knowledge of various issues related to the game directly or indirectly. The LP is basically partially educational. The content is almost 50/50.

And while not an LP, AARs(After Action Reports) are something often made by players of various Grand Strategy Games(like Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings etc.). An AAR, Rome AARisen is not a video LP, but uses Crusader Kings as the setting and a guide for various events, then constructs a vast narrative around it. It makes significant use of various assets from the game, as well as several TV shows such as Rome, and crafts it all into a original written work inspired by these things, but composed of nearly entirely original content. Original content is probably around 95% of the material.

What you consider a majority or a significant enough portion to distinguish an LP as an original enough work to not automatically be the property of the game IP owner, I don't know. All I know is that all of these examples are radically, or at the very least significantly different experiences than just playing the games, and as such I consider them as separate entities from just playing the game. We'll need to decide if an LP refers only to video LPs on Youtube, or LPs in general. Additionally, I'll add the anecdote that Helloween4545's Dark Souls LP was the reason I bough the game in the first place, as he introduces the viewer to the game while also pulling some silly stunts.
    Rhan9 on
    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher The bat The caveRegistered User regular
    Nintendo should have at least WARNED people about this before pulling this stunt (if this was actually nintendo).
    But their decision and people defending it display a complete inability to understand culture and the creation of culture in the 21th century. This is a very retrograde posture.
    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Opty wrote: »
    Also could the OP or a mod please change the trollbait title of the thread? It's pretty disingenuous at best, a blatant lie at worst.

This.

It's not even remotely accurate as far as what happened.

Also, I see that it's been pointed out that Nintendo isn't the first, nor the largest, company to have done this; but somehow "Nintendo decides it owns..."?

Come on.

There's certainly a discussion to be had, I suppose, as to the merits of a company 'owning' all visual representations of its products; but that discussion is pretty corporation agnostic and a general ideological principal.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    Nintendo should have at least WARNED people about this before pulling this stunt (if this was actually nintendo).
    But their decision and people defending it display a complete inability to understand culture and the creation of culture in the 21th century. This is a very retrograde posture.

People would have reacted the same way if they had given noticed.
    Opty wrote: »
    Also could the OP or a mod please change the trollbait title of the thread? It's pretty disingenuous at best, a blatant lie at worst.

The OP is pretty bad.
  • Slayer of DreamsSlayer of Dreams Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

People would have reacted the same way if they had given noticed.

I'm not so sure they would have. Letting people know that there is going to be a change would give them time to hash out a deal (either through sharing of ad revenue, or editing the videos so they don't fall under the blanket of it) or decide to end the LP, versus finding out the day after when Youtube basically says "NOPE YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT MONEY CAUSE THEY SAID SO". It sets a very different tone for the LPer, really.
    Slayer of Dreams on
    0c52wn2.jpg
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular

or

Agree. The revenue needs to be split someway. The revenue isn't much to Nintendo, but to some person who does LP as a sidejob and just wants to break even with equipment costs so he can keep doing what he loves to do, it could mean the end to his passion.

Let's be clear, no one is making bank off of LPs. Even the ones that make some semblence of money (even the most popular youtubers) don't make enough to crack the top 1%. There's probably less than 25 youtubers who make over 250K, out of millions doing the same thing. Plus, this Nintendo move isn't going to hurt them much. It's going to hurt the person who barely breaks even each month or even runs a bit of credit card debt, and that's with his 2 or 3 other jobs.
  • Commodore75Commodore75 Winston "Champagne chugging" Churchill Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    [edit2] Since it is only about a post made in the thread, and only slightly about the topic of the thread, I'll put some spoiler tatgs on this.
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    Suriko wrote: »
    Really, at the end of the day, all I'm saying is that LP'ers should get permission and consent from the copyright holder before using said copyright. Why is this such a bad thing?

Did you get permission and consent from the copyright holder for your avatar and signature?

No, I did not, and if the creators who uploaded that served me with a C&D I would take them down.

What if instead they simply asked you to put a watermark in the corner that said "Owned by XXXX"? Would you declare it to be the ultimate insult like the decrier's here?

What if suddenly no one can have any stolen art from anywhere as their avatar or signature?

I'd be fine with this, honestly. Again: I am a firm believer that the creator of content should be rightfully compensated for how it is used, be it a large corporation or an individual. I'd move to using a sig/avatar that were deliberately and clearly marked as being part of the public domain.

@Athenor, let me guess, you made no effort what so ever to contact the creators.
    You did not ask them if they would be OK with you using their content as avatar/sigh when expressing your personal opinions about various subjects, that they would have no input on what so ever, am I right?
    It's easy to say you would be OK with complying with their request, when you know such a request will never come. How about you ask them?
    Do you honestly think they are OK with you using their content?

Also, I'm curious, what do you think would be rightful compensation for using their creations as avatar/sig?
    US$3/month? US$3/1k views?

[edit] I have no illusions about W.C. feeling comfortable w/ someone like me using his portrait as an avatar.
    Or that the photographer feels rightfully compensated.
    Commodore75 on