Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Take solace in Tyrion looking badass from the 3x08 preview.

wAwv1Aj.jpg

Hopefully he threatens to geld Joffrey as he does in the books.

IIRC the trailer had Joffrey going "What did you say to me?" so I'm thinking it is likely.
    camo_sig2.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    burbo wrote: »
    Man, you guys are way too rough on show Shae, with the entitle bitch stuff. You all just want her to accept that she is a whore and will only ever be a whore and deserves nothing. Like it is so crazy of her to not want the man she supposedly loves to not marry a young girl. Especially because his Dad says so. Wouldn't anyone want their lover to just tell their Dad to fuck off and do what they want? Even if she accepts that Tywin will kill them, they could go somewhere! Oh, poor Tyrion won't get to play politics with Varys and a bunch of people who hate him. He is not willing to sacrifice shit for her. Of course she is pissed.

I actually found show Shae way too kindhearted and helpful and genuine, initially

I didn't see a reasonable way for Tyrion to do her in

yes I think the show version of her was more sympathetic up front, which is why her refusal to understand the game Tyrion is forced to play is annoying.

I would like her more if she would actually think about things and scheme a little. her solution is just "run away" which is stupid.

Its not stupid, its sane.

Nope, it's pretty dumb. What's Tyrion without House Lannister? He's ADWD Tyrion. And nobody wants that.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Little foreshadowing there with the gold chains too
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy Registered User regular
    Little foreshadowing there with the gold chains too

How so?
    ...in accordance to the ancient prophecies.

jswidget.php?username=joe%20dizzy&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=random&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains[]=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy Registered User regular
    But that's not foreshadowing. That's just laying the groundwork for plot developments later on.

Foreshadowing would have been something like him putting something around her neck, or commenting on it.. or something like that.
    ...in accordance to the ancient prophecies.

jswidget.php?username=joe%20dizzy&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=random&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains[]=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Just read on the wiki that Doran Martel's wife is alive and well in Norvos. She left for Norvos when Quentin was sent to Yronwood, allegedly upset. Is it possible she is connected to Aegon? Doran has proven to be respectable plotter, perhaps his plan B for Quentin's failure to marry Dany has been to marry his daughter to Aegon (who has been observed by his wife) all along? The Martels have pretty good track record of successfully scheming to marrying Targaryens.

Did Tyrion and co. ever pass through Norvos on their journey?
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
    Doran is sending Arianne to investigate Aegon and see if he's the real deal, so that's a bit unlikely.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    edited May 2013
    Hmm. True.
    I think it's that it was presented in such a forgettable way that I'm suspicious of it.

Now it feels like it should be significant that "Aegon" was living on the river the runs right through his Aunt's home town, and Martin tried to slip it past us. But maybe it's just an unintended red herring.
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    That Arya scene...

"Who is your god?"
    "Death"

Man.. foreshadowing indeed.

Kinda astonished the show thread didn't pick it up.
    steam_sig.png
    More a callback to Syrio.
    That Arya scene...

"Who is your god?"
    "Death"

Man.. foreshadowing indeed.

Kinda astonished the show thread didn't pick it up.
    Especially considering their interest/confusion with the ASOIAF pantheon.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    I'm glad that Beric called the Lord of Light "the Red God". There's a lot of people who haven't quite put together that the Red God and the Lord of Light are one and the same, despite the fire connection and the fact that the most prominent worshipper of the Lord of Light is the RED priestess.
    Oh yay, looks like Sam the Slayer is next week. Also Stannis releasing Davos and various other good stuff.
    Rains of Castamere playing as Jaime walked away was a nice tip that the Lannisters are far from done with Locke. I'm curious if they'll tone it down and just have Gregor feed him to the bear. Though keeping with the book here would be a good chance to play up the depths of Gregor's depravity. He's been a god damned saint so far compared to book Gregor and all the things show Arya has yet to learn about about him.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tyrion, in the Tower of The Hand, with a gold necklace.

Tyrion and Tywin, in King's Landing. When the walls fell.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Tyrion, in the Tower of The Hand, with a gold necklace.

Tyrion and Tywin, in King's Landing. When the walls fell.

It is known.
    Moo.
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Man, you guys are way too rough on show Shae, with the entitle bitch stuff. You all just want her to accept that she is a whore and will only ever be a whore and deserves nothing. Like it is so crazy of her to not want the man she supposedly loves to not marry a young girl. Especially because his Dad says so. Wouldn't anyone want their lover to just tell their Dad to fuck off and do what they want? Even if she accepts that Tywin will kill them, they could go somewhere! Oh, poor Tyrion won't get to play politics with Varys and a bunch of people who hate him. He is not willing to sacrifice shit for her. Of course she is pissed.

I actually found show Shae way too kindhearted and helpful and genuine, initially

yes I think the show version of her was more sympathetic up front, which is why her refusal to understand the game Tyrion is forced to play is annoying.

I would like her more if she would actually think about things and scheme a little. her solution is just "run away" which is stupid.

Nope, it's pretty dumb. What's Tyrion without House Lannister? He's ADWD Tyrion. And nobody wants that.

I disagree. ADWD Tyrion would not be the same if he had TV!Shae with him. And Tyrion could easily leave with enough money for them to live happily ever after. Shae is sane in wanting to run, because, as she said, Tywin would have their children killed, and she's totally right.
    steam_sig.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

I disagree. ADWD Tyrion would not be the same if he had TV!Shae with him. And Tyrion could easily leave with enough money for them to live happily ever after. Shae is sane in wanting to run, because, as she said, Tywin would have their children killed, and she's totally right.

and kill her

no matter where she was

meanwhile Tyrion is riding a pig to make money

come on now
    NO.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

So let's see, her plan is for Tyrion to screw Tywin's plan to marry the Starks to the Lannisters, steal some not-insignificant sum of Tywin's money, and then run away.

I'm sure Tywin won't come looking for them, and they can just relax on a beach in Volantis for the rest of their days. Tyrion would probably even forget who Tywin was after a few months, he'd be so relaxed.

Seriously, Tywin would be so furious he might've literally killed Tyrion with his mind.

Relevant PA Comic:
    217504552_XFiC5-XL-2.jpg
    Bobble wrote: »

So let's see, her plan is for Tyrion to screw Tywin's plan to marry the Starks to the Lannisters, steal some not-insignificant sum of Tywin's money, and then run away.

I'm sure Tywin won't come looking for them, and they can just relax on a beach in Volantis for the rest of their days. Tyrion would probably even forget who Tywin was after a few months, he'd be so relaxed.

Seriously, Tywin would be so furious he might've literally killed Tyrion with his mind.

Relevant PA Comic:
    217504552_XFiC5-XL-2.jpg

On the other hand, he might be so furious that he strokes out and dies.

In which case: Lord Tyrion, Lord of Casterly Rock, would have pulled off a succession gambit that even Lann the Clever could be proud of.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Tywin wants Tyrion gone, but isn't willing to kill him. If he did, Tyrion easily could have been disposed of with a simple "accident" at any time. Also, Tyrion doesn't have to steal from Tywin--he obviously has his own money, to buy the necklace which is worth a ship, as was pointed out, or to pay Bronn.

I honestly don't think Tywin would send assassins after Tyrion, as Tyrion existing is as much of an affront to Tywin as anything Tyrion could actually do.
    steam_sig.png
    Tywin wants Tyrion gone, but isn't willing to kill him. If he did, Tyrion easily could have been disposed of with a simple "accident" at any time. Also, Tyrion doesn't have to steal from Tywin--he obviously has his own money, to buy the necklace which is worth a ship, as was pointed out, or to pay Bronn.

I honestly don't think Tywin would send assassins after Tyrion, as Tyrion existing is as much of an affront to Tywin as anything Tyrion could actually do.
    Tywin wouldn't let Tyrion travel around Essos claiming to be his son when he was a boy, and I doubt he would let him do it now. Add in a whore and ruining his plans for Sansa, and he would absolutely send men to collect Tyrion and make what he did to Tysha seem playful with regards to Shae.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    One thing I like about the show is I think they're making the disparity between the red god followers and everyone else a lot clearer. I never followed it that well in the books.
  • tuxkamentuxkamen Registered User regular
    Show thread:
    Also, Tywin... I can't see him AND Joffrey staying alive, and Joffrey is the perfect little shit you love to hate, so I'm afraid he'll be around...

...let me stop you right there and say you're half-right.
    Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This blog just made my day: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/ (SPOILERS AHOY!)

There's these essays analyzing politics of AGOT chapter by chapter by comparing it to real feudal politics: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/cbc-analysis-game-of-thrones/

And these essays on Hands of the King: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hands-of-the-king/

And these on whether Westerosi government is a strong or weak monarchy:http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hollow-crowns-and-deadly-thrones/ (there's a good bit on William the Conqueror = Aegon I too)

How about a defense of Robb Stark's military tactics and strategy in response to an attack by national security blogger Spencer Ackerman http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/winning-battles-and-losing-wars-in-defense-of-robb-stark/

And here's that Ackerman article: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/robb-stark/
    valiance on
    img.php?id=valiance_
    Kana wrote: »
    Technically, he made one sociopath, and 2 kids who seem pretty well adjusted but who knows we pretty much haven't seen them except in about 3 scenes.

By season 10 it'll be a 3 way civil war between Mycella, Tommen, and Rickon. Everyone else will be dead.

Ser Pounce will be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and will defeat Shaggydog in single combat.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Technically, he made one sociopath, and 2 kids who seem pretty well adjusted but who knows we pretty much haven't seen them except in about 3 scenes.

By season 10 it'll be a 3 way civil war between Mycella, Tommen, and Rickon. Everyone else will be dead.

Ser Pounce will be Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, and will defeat Shaggydog in single combat.

Wight Qyburn will bring Shaggydog back from the brink of death to become the Sept's champion.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    This blog just made my day: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/ (SPOILERS AHOY!)

There's these essays analyzing politics of AGOT chapter by chapter by comparing it to real feudal politics: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/cbc-analysis-game-of-thrones/

And these essays on Hands of the King: http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hands-of-the-king/

And these on whether Westerosi government is a strong or weak monarchy:http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/archive/hollow-crowns-and-deadly-thrones/ (there's a good bit on William the Conqueror = Aegon I too)

How about a defense of Robb Stark's military tactics and strategy in response to an attack by national security blogger Spencer Ackerman http://racefortheironthrone.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/winning-battles-and-losing-wars-in-defense-of-robb-stark/

And here's that Ackerman article: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/robb-stark/

This is awesome
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular

I like their analysis because they give Ned Stark much more credit for his decision making than the banal "Ned was an idiot, honor sucks" analysis that I see everywhere else. That's not to say Ned didn't make mistakes, but he also made a lot of good decisions and he had very good reasons doing what he did, and if a few breaks were to go his way rather than against him he could have made it work.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Show thread:
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Is it just me or was this episode almost exactly like the previous weeks episode? Just replace Tywin owning Tyrion and Cersei with Tywin owning Joffrey.

Tywin owning Tyrion and Cersei was two weeks ago.

Tywin owned Olenna Tyrell last week.

The only reason Tywin owned Olenna is because his grandchild is the one equipped with a royal cock.

Olenna seems like she is more than capable of holding her own against Tywin in the right circumstance. I think she is more devious than Tywin, for sure.

NOW YOU'RE GETTIN' IT
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »
    Take solace in Tyrion looking badass from the 3x08 preview.

wAwv1Aj.jpg

Hopefully he threatens to geld Joffrey as he does in the books.

Almost positive that's what the scene is, he stabs a knife into the table and everything. Should be an amazing moment.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

I like their analysis because they give Ned Stark much more credit for his decision making than the banal "Ned was an idiot, honor sucks" analysis that I see everywhere else. That's not to say Ned didn't make mistakes, but he also made a lot of good decisions and he had very good reasons doing what he did, and if a few breaks were to go his way rather than against him he could have made it work.

Also unlike everyone else, Ned was willing to die. Like he said, he's a soldier, dying for a cause he believes in is something he's already faced many times before.

Buuut it's king's landing, so everyone was like lololol Ned you dum you lost game of thrones
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I sure could do without those fuckin' Theon scenes.

That shit from last Sunday's episode wasn't even in the book.

Sure, it was heavily implied, but who the hell decided it was necessary to create the actual scene?

Theon's torture was the one thing from the books I was actually hoping they'd shy away from. Instead they're shoehorning it into every episode for no good reason.

• shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Sure, it was heavily implied, but who the hell decided it was necessary to create the actual scene?

Theon's torture was the one thing from the books I was actually hoping they'd shy away from. Instead they're shoehorning it into every episode for no good reason.

Because it's a TV show and not a book, they have to find another way to show you just how horrible what he went through is.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    THEON isn't in the books at this point. That makes it kind of hard for any scenes involving him to pass the "Was it in the books?" test.

And this last scene didn't even have torture, it had naked ladies and implied torture. An improvement.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
    It's still incredibly repetitive. It's the worst part of this season, easily.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The other option is to cut him out. And that's not a realistic option. I approve of their choice to shake things up, though, much better than watching his fingers get flayed. Or they could just kill him. But not going to do that either, obviously.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

I get the feeling the writers think show watchers have short memories, so they have to keep Theon doing something. It's all about the long game for him and Ramsay too. We know Theon is working on redeeming himself, we've seen how far he falls. We also know how evil Ramsay is, even more so given the stuff with Lady Hornwood in the books. It could be foreshadowing for book people even, really drive home how terrible it was for him, leading up to some heroic moment in the next book. Maybe he even kills Ramsay himself.

Alternatively - Theon's contract was too expensive to justify him doing nothing, and some intern goofed and bought a bunch of torture props so you might as well use'em.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png