Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    They killed old Mormont, but it seems like nobody's too concerned? What happens to the Night's Watch now that their old commander is dead? What about the army of horrible undead that is out there, guys? Guys?

2 books later and it's still a pressing concern for me!
    CowShark on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Hadn't The Others all but driven those that remained beyond the Wall into the sea? I recall that being the impetus for Jon's aborted rescue mission.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I was talking to a buddy today, I think the show had lulled people into a false sense of security again. After killing Ned in season one, season two didn't, by my memory, really fuck with the audience. It placed characters in peril, but the mains all made it through. I think lot if the TV folks have forgotten just what show they're watching.

So yes, the Red Wedding will be glorious. Then Joffrey's death, then Tywins.

I can't wait to see the meltdown.
    steam_sig.png
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Orell's "What he really is" about Jon sticks out to me. TV folks think that's about Jon being a Crow still, but it could be the warg side. I'd be happy with some introduction or hints this season at the other Stark kids having some warg capability. Arya dreaming as Nymeria, if nothing else.
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    Hadn't The Others all but driven those that remained beyond the Wall into the sea? I recall that being the impetus for Jon's aborted rescue mission.

Yeah, they were all camped on the coast at some place called... *wiki search* Hardhome.

Melisandre had a vision of everyone there being killed by the Others.
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I hope they don't reveal who he is to Theon.

Instead, next season have Ramsay in some scenes with Roose to clue the audience in.

I wonder if it'll be revealed to the audience by Roose showing the skin from Theon's finger to Cat just before the Red Wedding. I believe he does something similar in the books.

Of course, I haven't watched any of season 3 yet, but I don't mind reading TV spoilers. I'm quite looking forward to the show thread's reaction to the RW.

All I know is Episode 8 better be amazing to help me endure two weeks before 9.
    edited May 2013
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Instead, next season have Ramsay in some scenes with Roose to clue the audience in.

I wonder if it'll be revealed to the audience by Roose showing the skin from Theon's finger to Cat just before the Red Wedding. I believe he does something similar in the books.

Of course, I haven't watched any of season 3 yet, but I don't mind reading TV spoilers. I'm quite looking forward to the show thread's reaction to the RW.

Well it looks like we'll get Coldhands, Tyrion pissing off Joffrey, a Daario sans blue beard and gold mustache, and possibly Sam the Slayer. It could be excellent.

And Balon should die, which means we might get a glimpse of that baller ass fireplace again. So that's cool too.
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
    Bobble wrote: »
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Woo, just finished book five, now I can click on every spoiler in this thread.

And all the book threads for the next four to six years while I wait for book six to come out.

Welcome! Now prepare to learn just how much you missed while you were reading.
    You probably didn't notice Dany was pregnant with Drogon's baby, did you?

Don't judge her, it got lonely in that cave.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

Well it looks like we'll get Coldhands, Tyrion pissing off Joffrey, a Daario sans blue beard and gold mustache, and possibly Sam the Slayer. It could be excellent.

And Balon should die, which means we might get a glimpse of that baller ass fireplace again. So that's cool too.

Do you think they'll confirm Balon's death? Because I remain a skeptic.

I hope we see him either way, his actor was too good for that brief glimpse.
    cj iwakura on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Do you think they'll confirm Balon's death? Because I remain a skeptic.

I hope we see him either way, his actor was too good for that brief glimpse.

I'd be happy if we just get a scene of his daughter coming over, peeps rushing over to tell her about her dad dying in a freak accident, and then in the background we can see Jaqen in his new face strolling off to the next boat leaving the island
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular

And all the book threads for the next four to six years while I wait for book six to come out.

I totally missed that Theon got his dick chopped off in ADWD the first time around.

Also, I nominate Wyman Manderly for KING IN THE NORTH!
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular

Tyrion pissing off Joffrey/Tywin sending Joff to his room isn't till the finale. I seem to remember Tyrion threatening to geld Joff after he said he wants to send Robb's head to Sansa.
  • FakefauxFakefaux OhioRegistered User regular
    So, what with this talk of Balon, I am reminded of the seed of his loins.

How is the rest of Theon's arc for this season going to go down? There's no mention of him in the next three episode summaries, and he wasn't in the episode eight preview. We know Yara shows up at some point thanks to the trailers. How does this all resolve?

However, we also saw that in the preview for episode eight, Melisandre appeared to be putting leeches on Gendry's stomach. So, Lord Balon's death can't take place until after that. My guess is that they'll do a segue at some point, either in episode nine or episode ten, from Yara arriving on Pyke to talk to Balon about Theon, to Theon finally recognizing that his captor is Ramsay Snow, and then back to Pyke for Balon's tumble off the bridge.

Episode nine seems the best place for it, right before the Red Wedding, to show that Stannis' curse is carrying through, and to provide the final hint that the Boltons are bad news. However, because episode nine will be busy as hell, they may save it til episode ten, though that would really undercut whatever sense of purpose Theon's arc this season might have had.

Also, I'd bet that when Theon finally figures out the truth, he refers to Ramsay (accidentally or not) as a bastard, which sends Ramsay into a fury which culminates in Theon's apparent death, to set up the appearance of Reek in season five. This will probably also lead to the folks in the show-only thread complaining about a second season where Theon's arc ends with his potential death at the hands of the Boltons.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I just hope Ramsay Bolton suffers a sufficiently horrible death before this series is over.

Dude makes Joffrey seem endearing.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    He may very well be the most unpleasant character I've ever come across in any artistic medium

He's like fantasy's answer to Iago
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    He may very well be the most unpleasant character I've ever come across in any artistic medium

The Mountain has a rival, I see.
    Harry Dresden on
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I just hope Ramsay Bolton suffers a sufficiently horrible death before this series is over.

Dude makes Joffrey seem endearing.

Speculation:

Burned by dragons. Still alive. Someone tries,to move him, sloughing all the skin off his body at once. Still Alive.. Begs for death. Gets it from Theon or Not Arya.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Ramsay has a level of forethought and intelligence that characters like Joffery and the Mountain lack.
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Ramsay has a level of forethought and intelligence that characters like Joffery and the Mountain lack.

Yeah, he's a particularly self-aware brand of evil.
    Bubby wrote: »

Tyrion pissing off Joffrey/Tywin sending Joff to his room isn't till the finale. I seem to remember Tyrion threatening to geld Joff after he said he wants to send Robb's head to Sansa.
    Just guessing from the "episode 8" trailer Is that actually from the last three episodes?
    Automata-Sg.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Registered User regular

The Mountain is a force of nature. Yes, the Mountain is terrifying as hell. Yes, he could kill you as soon as look at you. Or rape you. Or throw you to the dogs. Or just break your arms and legs and leave you exposed to the elements to die slowly. But though there's malice there, it's not really directed malice. It's pointed at whatever is in his way. He's a landslide, and if you're out of his way he doesn't really care, so long as he can crush the things that are in his way. Ramsey is different. Ramsey is thinking, directed, deliberate malice. For him, creating pain isn't a momentary passing pleasure like it is for the Mountain. For Ramsey its about prolonging it, it's about targeting it, it's about twisting the knife. If the Mountain wanted you dead, at worse it'd take a few terrible hours. If Ramsey wanted you dead, it could takes years, or decades. Ramsey isn't a force of nature like the Mountain, but he's insidious and far more terrifying in his own way.

It's like the Joker compared to Solomon Grundy.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Ramsay also seems to be one of the few characters who knows how to keep a low profile once in a while. Most of the schemers have a tendency of revealing to the other schemers just how cunning and intelligent they are.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd call Ramsay a schemer. Roose says that he wishes Ramsay had more subtlety, and his treatment of not-Arya has already pissed off some of the northern lords.

To me Ramsay is a guy that could only flourish on the brink of winter. Any other time, a guy so brutal and unpleasant would be dealt with. But with the creeping barbarism emerging in the north with the onset of fall and winter, Ramsay's found his niche.

Part of the reason I don't care for him in the show is that I didn't care for him in the books either. Some people have so few redeeming qualities that they don't even make good villains.

• shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, Ramsay isn't smart or scheming. At best, he's got some low cunning going on.

He succeeds because of who his father is and because he's in the right place at the right time. And even then, he only succeeds against those weaker than him.

His comeuppance are almost inevitable because he can't stay protected forever. (or it's not likely anyway)
    shryke on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    The Mountain is a force of nature. Yes, the Mountain is terrifying as hell. Yes, he could kill you as soon as look at you. Or rape you. Or throw you to the dogs. Or just break your arms and legs and leave you exposed to the elements to die slowly. But though there's malice there, it's not really directed malice. It's pointed at whatever is in his way. He's a landslide, and if you're out of his way he doesn't really care, so long as he can crush the things that are in his way. Ramsey is different. Ramsey is thinking, directed, deliberate malice. For him, creating pain isn't a momentary passing pleasure like it is for the Mountain. For Ramsey its about prolonging it, it's about targeting it, it's about twisting the knife. If the Mountain wanted you dead, at worse it'd take a few terrible hours. If Ramsey wanted you dead, it could takes years, or decades. Ramsey isn't a force of nature like the Mountain, but he's insidious and far more terrifying in his own way.

It's like the Joker compared to Solomon Grundy.

Two words - Vargo Hoat.
  • FakefauxFakefaux OhioRegistered User regular
    I would argue that the incident with the innkeeper's daughter shows the Mountain is not just some barely-directed, impersonal hatred, but a man who actively chooses to do terrible things to cause maximum emotional and physical pain.

In fact, I'd say he and Ramsay are very much akin, though Ramsay is smarter and revels in more delicate sadism.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I believe I remember reading that the Mountain suffers from migraines. If you want to drag modern medicine into it, he may have gigantism and be partially inspired by the viking Egil (viking.ucla.edu/Scientific_American/Egils_Bones.htm).

I always read the Mountain as just constantly simmering with low-grade anger against everything, possibly in part due to this. His callousness is a sort of revenge against the world. For him deliberate cruelty is a casual, occasional thing rather than a full-time hobby.

The mountain has a weird kind of authenticity about him. He doesn't pretend to be anything other than what he is (probably in part because he can't). It's what makes him such an effective foil for the Hound. He's what the Hound easily could have been.
    Yougottawanna on
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    There's a brief mention in one of the books that the Mountain is constantly drinking milk of the poppy because of his suicide headaches.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    knitdan wrote: »

I totally missed that Theon got his dick chopped off in ADWD the first time around.

Yeah, I missed that bit too, although I guess in the show it's more explicit.

Honestly I'm still more squicked out by the repeated references to how painfully shattered Theon's teeth are, and the whole psychological Stockholm Syndrome aspects of his transformation into Reek that thinking "oh yeah, I guess he's cock-free now" doesn't really add much.

Edit: And the Mountain's cruelty seems more apropos for the faux-Medieval setting, while Ramsay seems more like a serial killer transposed into that setting, which makes his cruelty seem a bit more jarring to me.
    Lawndart on
    steam_sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    In the show thread, is that handsome fellow Daario or the Viper?
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That is Daario's boss who gets his ass betrayed and murderaded.
    reVerse on
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    In the show thread, is that handsome fellow Daario or the Viper?

Titan's Bastard I think.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • BehemothBehemoth Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't remember him at all.

I guess we get this douchebag but not Strong Belwas? This is bullshit : (
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I love that line in the trailer 'A man who fights for gold can't afford to lose to a girl.'

Her intonation is just perfect.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Technically not Daario's boss, though I suspect he will be in the show to limit our number of mercenary captains. He's the other mercenary captain, who Dany gets really, really drunk and then attacks while they're plastered. He subsequently joins the roving band behind Dany and tries to assassinate her. Which is when Selmy is revealed.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • SicariiSicarii Registered User regular
    The Mountain tried to burn off his brother's face as a child because the Hound played with one of his toys.

Migraines excuse nothing.
    korrasig2.jpg
  • SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    Behemoth wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

I don't remember him at all.

I guess we get this douchebag but not Strong Belwas? This is bullshit : (

Its kind of an important part of establishing Daarios character.

But yeah II agree no Strong Belwas is dumb.