Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Big surprise they didn't want to add a character who has maybe three scenes in the whole series, one of which already happened, and the others can be covered by someone else. If they even happen.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Sicarii wrote: »
    The Mountain tried to burn off his brother's face as a child because the Hound played with one of his toys.

Migraines excuse nothing.

It's been a while since I've read it, but as I remember it was an abject lesson about reality. Knights are not honorable, nor noble. They are murderers. This is the Mountain's philosophy (as a knight) and he impressed that on his little brother in a way he wouldn't forget.

The Mountain is the type of character that exemplifies the reality that the book puts forth. He's an asshole, but he's not being dishonest about it. He sees the world as it is and is comfortable with his privileged place in that hierarchy. The Hound may have echoes of romanticism, but it's buried deep. Recall his nonchalance about killing the common boy.
    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I'd call Ramsay a schemer. Roose says that he wishes Ramsay had more subtlety, and his treatment of not-Arya has already pissed off some of the northern lords.

To me Ramsay is a guy that could only flourish on the brink of winter. Any other time, a guy so brutal and unpleasant would be dealt with. But with the creeping barbarism emerging in the north with the onset of fall and winter, Ramsay's found his niche.

Part of the reason I don't care for him in the show is that I didn't care for him in the books either. Some people have so few redeeming qualities that they don't even make good villains.

I don't know, I get the sense that Ramsay is more aware than people give him credit for. He is brutal and sadistic but he knows what others think of him and I think that he may be using that reputation to get others to underestimate him.
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    The Mountain tried to burn off his brother's face as a child because the Hound played with one of his toys.

It's been a while since I've read it, but as I remember it was an abject lesson about reality. Knights are not honorable, nor noble. They are murderers. This is the Mountain's philosophy (as a knight) and he impressed that on his little brother in a way he wouldn't forget.

The Mountain is the type of character that exemplifies the reality that the book puts forth. He's an asshole, but he's not being dishonest about it. He sees the world as it is and is comfortable with his privileged place in that hierarchy. The Hound may have echoes of romanticism, but it's buried deep. Recall his nonchalance about killing the common boy.

What? They were kids, it had nothing to do with any sort of philosophy. The Mountain is just a giant asshole, and always has been.
    janenext.jpg
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular

I never said they excused anything.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ramsay is a piece of shit sadist coward who I'm astonished has survived this long even with his father being who he is. I can only hope the great bearded one has drawn out both their lives as long as he has so they may be extinguished through great agony by the hands of Stannis.
    Bubby on
  • SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    The only reason Ramsay is alive is because of his cunning and some amazing luck. IIRC Rodrik wanted to kill him when he was disguised as Reek, but wanted to keep him around as a witness to various atrocities.
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Black hair is dominant over red.

"The seed is strong."
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Finally got around to seeing Season 2 (on DVD), now to wait for Season 3.

I did read all the books though, so predictions/baseless guessing for the future (double check to see if this is the book-thread):
    - Anybody find it funny that Cersei's live now depends on a uhm... man? named Robert?

- I'm convinced that Stannis will end up as Lord Commander of the Night Watch at the end of the series. He'd not be a good king, but he's exactly the kind of guy the Night's Watch needs and what he has seen will convince him that it's a job worth doing.
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    No Strong Belwas to look forward to? Goddammit. Should've axed Daario instead.
    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

Maybe in the real world. Not necessarily in ASOIAF!
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

"The seed is strong."

Man, that was, like the most important plot point of season #1. Remember Ned's book. The seed IS strong. Period, full stop.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

Yeah, but Jon could be R/B and she's R/R so the kids could end up R/R too.
    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."

"The seed is strong."

Man, that was, like the most important plot point of season #1. Remember Ned's book. The seed IS strong. Period, full stop.

The point is that Lannister blonde is recessive, Baratheon dark is dominant, or that there is a mystical component to the Lannister/Baratheon match. It also doesn't mean that all the blondes in Westeros share the same genes for being blonde as the Lannisters. Even in the real world, multiple genes can determine hair color. The genes in the real world that cause blonde hair for people in Oceania is different than the gene that causes blonde hair in western Europe. More to the point, there is absolutely no guarantee that the same genes are present in Westeros. It is entirely possible that in Westeros you can find blonde hair or red hair as dominant traits.

Unless what you're saying is that the possible mystical component trumps all, and that hair color in Westeros is determined by the strength of a man's seed, in which case...
    steam_sig-400.png
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

The point is that Lannister blonde is recessive, Baratheon dark is dominant, or that there is a mystical component to the Lannister/Baratheon match. It also doesn't mean that all the blondes in Westeros share the same genes for being blonde as the Lannisters. Even in the real world, multiple genes can determine hair color. The genes in the real world that cause blonde hair for people in Oceania is different than the gene that causes blonde hair in western Europe. More to the point, there is absolutely no guarantee that the same genes are present in Westeros. It is entirely possible that in Westeros you can find blonde hair or red hair as dominant traits.

Unless what you're saying is that the possible mystical component trumps all, and that hair color in Westeros is determined by the strength of a man's seed, in which case...

It may have a mystical component, but you don't have to go that far. Jon Arryn went through the entire family tree of the Baratheons and found that the black hair phenotype always was expressed.

"The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt

"The seed is strong."

It may have a mystical component, but you don't have to go that far. Jon Arryn went through the entire family tree of the Baratheons and found that the black hair phenotype always was expressed.

Right, and I'm not saying that Baratheon black isn't dominant.

I'm saying Stark dark isn't necessarily dominant, kiss-by-fire red isn't necessarily recessive.

Westeros is a different place, and different genes could be expressing those traits than in the real world.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Ned's kids are 60/40 Stark-brown and Tully-Red, for example.

They are also 80/20 Stark-Warg / Tully-Naive. (Edmure / Lysa / Sansa)
    Automata-Sg.png
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    In the books, the only one of Ned's kids that looks like a Stark is Arya. All the rest of 'em have the red hair of the Tullys.
  • SicariiSicarii Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

I'm saying Stark dark isn't necessarily dominant, kiss-by-fire red isn't necessarily recessive.

Westeros is a different place, and different genes could be expressing those traits than in the real world.

Red hair is pretty rare in Westeros, hence why the Wildlings consider it special

This would suggest a recessive phenotype.
    korrasig2.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ned's kids are 60/40 Stark-brown and Tully-Red, for example.

They are also 80/20 Stark-Warg / Tully-Naive. (Edmure / Lysa / Sansa)

Good point.

Though Rickon is non-existent, and Jon had his elements of naivety (idealism) until they were beaten out of him by the Real World. Sansa just hasn't learned as quickly.
    reVerse wrote: »
    In the books, the only one of Ned's kids that looks like a Stark is Arya. All the rest of 'em have the red hair of the Tullys.

That sounds familiar, even Bran though? *wikiwiki*

Well shit, even Bran. Red hair blue eyes.

Thanks a lot, Show.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular

Thanks a lot, Show.

Well being a red head connoisseur of sorts they are described as Auburn or Brownish-red (Tullys, Cat etc) whereas the wildlings are true Scottish fire red. I know splitting hairs but to some there is a difference. :)
    Moo.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Thanks a lot, Show.

I thought Jon looked the part, though most of the internet would tell you that he's Lyanna's kid and not Ned's. Either way, he's got no Tully/redhaired blood.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Thanks a lot, Show.

I thought Jon looked the part, though most of the internet would tell you that he's Lyanna's kid and not Ned's. Either way, he's got no Tully/redhaired blood.

Catelyn mentions that Jon looks more like a Stark than any of her kids, and that's part of why she doesn't like him.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Man, this talk about claimants and bloodlines is all making me want to play Crusader Kings 2 some more.

http://kotaku.com/the-best-game-of-thrones-game-is-becoming-the-ultimate-506103746

(They're adding Essos to the GOT mod)

It's like they heard me!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • jakobaggerjakobagger Copenhagen, The Iron IslandsRegistered User regular
    Man, this talk about claimants and bloodlines is all making me want to play Crusader Kings 2 some more.

http://kotaku.com/the-best-game-of-thrones-game-is-becoming-the-ultimate-506103746

(They're adding Essos to the GOT mod)

It's like they heard me!

They did say they'd probably do that as soon as republics were supported in the game, so not surprising.

But also, fuck yes. Time for scheming, mercenaries and faceless men.
    SrvYUfN.png
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Brace yourself for the most overwritten AARs ever... which is not necessarily a bad thing
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Brace yourself for the most overwritten AARs ever... which is not necessarily a bad thing

Read Rome AARisen. That shit is basically a book series at this point.
    steam_sig.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

It's worth noting that if Aegon is indeed Rhaegar's progeny than Targaryen-blonde is dominant over black hair

Which kinda screws up that whole R+L=J thing, but for some reason no one ever mentions that
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png

"The seed is strong."

It's worth noting that if Aegon is indeed Rhaegar's progeny than Targaryen-blonde is dominant over black hair

Which kinda screws up that whole R+L=J thing, but for some reason no one ever mentions that

Tully red is dominant over Stark black, except when it isn't.

The only hair color in the series that is truly dominant over all others is Baratheon black.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Targaryen platinum blonde almost has to be recessive, given that the Targs do so much incest to keept their madness/greatness genes active. I always kinda thought that the Blackfyres were called that because their hair got darker as they interbred with the locals.
  • SiskaSiska Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

"The seed is strong."

Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen, so he may very well have recessive blonde genes. Meaning, with a blonde woman there is a 50% chance his child would be fair haired too. No magic necessary. Main point is, Joffrey and his siblings blonde hair might have made them look more like legitimate heirs (proof of Targaryen ancestry) to the public. Not like they had DNA testing.
    Siska on
    camo_sig-400.png
    The genetics of hair and eye phenotypes is not very well understood.
    korrasig2.jpg
    Siska wrote: »

"The seed is strong."

Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen, so he may very well have recessive blonde genes. Meaning, with a blonde woman there is a 50% chance his child would be fair haired too. No magic necessary.

And yet it has never happened in the history of Baratheons.
    Siska wrote: »

"The seed is strong."

Robert's grandmother was a Targaryen, so he may very well have recessive blonde genes. Meaning, with a blonde woman there is a 50% chance his child would be fair haired too. No magic necessary.

And yet it has never happened in the history of Baratheons.

When black stag has mated with the blond lion.
    korrasig2.jpg
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

"The seed is strong."

Actually a lot of people think that points to him being the 'mummer's dragon', and basically a Varys plant.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.