Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp!I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
Yar wrote: »
#1 rule is no crying about something being spoiled, assuming it's already published material. If you haven't read all the books AND seen every aired show, then you are forbidden from accusing someone else of spoiling something for you. If you're posting an interview with GRRM where he talks about stuff that will happen in Book 6, yeah, that is the very epitome of a spoiler and must be tagged.

#2 rule, less important than #1, is to use your own best judgment and put tags around some things, like maybe details of TRW, or R-L-J theories, or major stuff from Book 5. Definitely anything about a show that hasn't aired (besides what we know from the books), or confirmed plot facts in books not yet published. Someone could very well click this thread by accident instead of the TV one, and they sure has hell don't want to see this in non-tagged form:
(major spoilers from books 3 - 5)
Hey, remember when Robb and Catelyn were killed by the Freys, and Sansa married Tyrion, but then Catelyn came back as an evil zombie and Joff chokes to death and Tyrion murders his father, and Jamie sort of becomes a good guy? That was awesome.

#3 rule is to try to do what I did above and preface your spoiler tags with a very brief description of what kind of spoiler it is and about when it occurs in the series.
Quid wrote:
Like so. Seriously, if you don't want spoilers, don't read this thread. Stop right now cause below this sentence? Thar be spoilers.

Overwrought sobbing about how unfair it is that you can't "helpfully" post about book stuff in the TV show thread will be dealt with mercilessly.

In happier news, the Game of Thrones boardgame is terrific and everyone should play it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103343/a-game-of-thrones-the-board-game-second-edition

c26-1589947207-2-s.jpg

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hurrah. I was trying to figure out how to quote the OP (copy quote link, modify the first number in the url) of a closed thread. I would have just said "here, have the old rules".

This is better.

edit: The board game is, indeed, pretty awesome. The 2nd edition has some rather drastic changes: more territories, I think a new house, and more tracks along the side. I learned this to my sorrow when I was gifted the expansion (a card set) and it asked me to put tokens I didn't have in territories that didn't exist.
    Tamin on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Hurrah. I was trying to figure out how to quote the OP (copy quote link, modify the first number in the url) of a closed thread. I would have just said "here, have the old rules".

This is better.

edit: The board game is, indeed, pretty awesome. The 2nd edition has some rather drastic changes: more territories, I think a new house, and more tracks along the side. I learned this to my sorrow when I was gifted the expansion (a card set) and it asked me to put tokens I didn't have in territories that didn't exist.

Would you say it has HUUUUGE.... tracks of land? :)
    Moo.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Kipling217 on
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Trying to decide if Kosh is the thread's Tywin, or The Mountain. I'm leaning Tywin because that makes Geth the Mountain.
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    Been trying forever to get a sixth person for the board game, I really want to play as Martell.
    Oh, that's Jerome Flynn!?

fucking awesome
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    I'd love to play that board game.
    Fuck off and die.
  • iguanacusiguanacus Registered User regular
    And how in the hell did I miss not 1 but 2 fucking expansions for the second edition? Anybody played with them to give some feedback on picking them up?
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Trying to decide if Kosh is the thread's Tywin, or The Mountain. I'm leaning Tywin because that makes Geth the Mountain.

That implies Geth works for Kosh. I tend to think the mods are just as afraid of him as the rest of us and they just ask him for help nicely sometimes.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    You know, as sucky of a situation as Robb is in right now, all I could think when he was talking about needing the Freys was, "Hooray! We get to see Argus Filch again!"

ROBB: "I need your support."

WALDER FREY: "Oh my, we are in trouble, aren't we..."

Remember that the original deal with Frey was for one of his daughters to marry Robb and one of his sons to marry Arya.

Conveniently, Arya is about to be delivered to Robb.

Storyline convergence GO!

Remember when we all felt this hope? Good times.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Guys, you got it all wrong: Kosh is Rob Stark and Geth is his underling Roose Bolton.

Rob is a king, who enforces his code of honor in a haphazard and arbitrary manner completely oblivious to its real world consequences.

Kosh is Mod!

Roose Bolton is Starks Bannerman. He gets shit done(according to the TV thread) and is Robs reliable right hand. He speaks in a precise and functional manner.

Geth is Kosh's tool for enforcing the rules. He infracts fools and bans trolls. He speaks with machine like prefection.

Its not going to end well for Kosh is it?
    If you don't believe me, check out the OP in the film thread
    Kipling217 on
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.
    Taramoor wrote: »
    You know, as sucky of a situation as Robb is in right now, all I could think when he was talking about needing the Freys was, "Hooray! We get to see Argus Filch again!"

ROBB: "I need your support."

WALDER FREY: "Oh my, we are in trouble, aren't we..."

Remember that the original deal with Frey was for one of his daughters to marry Robb and one of his sons to marry Arya.

Conveniently, Arya is about to be delivered to Robb.

Storyline convergence GO!

Remember when we all felt this hope? Good times.

Winter comes for all of us, in time.
    Bobble wrote: »

That implies Geth works for Kosh. I tend to think the mods are just as afraid of him as the rest of us and they just ask him for help nicely sometimes.

So Geth is... the Lord of Light?
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Is Geth unique to the PA forums? Perhaps he is the Many Faced God of Vanilla; dispensing his gifts wherever they are needed, under many different names.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Been trying forever to get a sixth person for the board game, I really want to play as Martell.

I share your pain.
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    From the show thread:
    Aioua wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    that's assuming nothing/no one prevents the brotherhood from getting her to Robb. after all she's been through so far just having her dropped off on the doorstep would be a bit anti-climactic.

and i don't think we've had any main characters die the season yet, have we?

You shut your mouth! Arya's going to make it to Braavos and Syrio will be there and they're going to have wacky adventures, and solve mysteries, and, and, chase cats and shit.

It's this kind of talk that really makes me wonder whether people are masquerading as non-book readers or something. It could also just be total speculation, but still...it's so close to what actually happens that it makes me wonder.
    That's totally reasonable speculation, frankly. Chekhov's coin will be fired at some point.
    From the show thread:
    that's assuming nothing/no one prevents the brotherhood from getting her to Robb. after all she's been through so far just having her dropped off on the doorstep would be a bit anti-climactic.

You shut your mouth! Arya's going to make it to Braavos and Syrio will be there and they're going to have wacky adventures, and solve mysteries, and, and, chase cats and shit.

It's this kind of talk that really makes me wonder whether people are masquerading as non-book readers or something. It could also just be total speculation, but still...it's so close to what actually happens that it makes me wonder.

It's not remotely what happens, except that "Arya makes it to Braavos".

Actually, the proper spelling is where the alarms go off for me.
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    "Chase cats" also, but there is already precedent for that in the show I guess
    meat.jpg
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    From the show thread:

It's not remotely what happens, except that "Arya makes it to Braavos".

Actually, the proper spelling is where the alarms go off for me.

Arya is prevented from making it to Robb with the brotherhood, Robb dies, she then goes to Braavos and chases cats.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

The GOT boardgame is interesting. I remember it being horribly unbalanced. In the three games I played more than a year ago now, the Baratheons won.

Also, the GOT boardgame isn't so much about political intrigue as it is military conquest. It's like Risk, except much better. Also, I felt like the objective of the game was a little weird -- at the end of ten turns, whomever has the most castles wins. This means that most of the game ends up being all about setting up for that last turn, where you make your best play for the most castles.

Thing is, the books aren't really like that. It's not like it's all about conquering territory, as Robb Stark learned so well. It's about setting up alliances, stabbing folks in the back, that sort of thing.

All that being said, I did enjoy it. I'd love to play it again someday.
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Oh damn theres expansions out for the boardgame? Now I need to spend more money on game of thrones stuff :P

Haven't been able to get a full 6 player game going either. Have had some pretty intense 5 player ones though.
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    syndalis wrote: »
    "Chase cats" also, but there is already precedent for that in the show I guess
    Arya is prevented from making it to Robb with the brotherhood, Robb dies, she then goes to Braavos and chases cats.

I have no memory of Arya chasing cats in Braavos. I remember cats existing in the city. There may be a line about her wishing that she had free time to chase a fat cat. And, one follows her home after she inadvertently wargs into it.
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 a.k.a. Nubmonger, 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    I want to play the boardgames. But none of my friends are into that kind of stuff, for some reason. They're all super-lame. :cry:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no.
    I think PBP versions of that have happened in CF. We're currently playing the card game and I'm Dany.
    on the subject of games...

I don't know how widespread it is yet, but as of today one can request a random number from Geth:

geth, roll 1d6
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Melkster wrote: »

The GOT boardgame is interesting. I remember it being horribly unbalanced. In the three games I played more than a year ago now, the Baratheons won.

Also, the GOT boardgame isn't so much about political intrigue as it is military conquest. It's like Risk, except much better. Also, I felt like the objective of the game was a little weird -- at the end of ten turns, whomever has the most castles wins. This means that most of the game ends up being all about setting up for that last turn, where you make your best play for the most castles.

Thing is, the books aren't really like that. It's not like it's all about conquering territory, as Robb Stark learned so well. It's about setting up alliances, stabbing folks in the back, that sort of thing.

You gotta backstab and intrigue in that game. I've never had a game go all the way to ten turns. And we never see the same houses win. If anyone gets obviously ahead, everyone picks on them, unless they've been politicking and intriguing.

Last time I played one player got really ahead, and I bullied everyone into an alliance against them with some 'are you with us or against us? Choose!' rhetoric.

Lots of fun.
    poshniallo on
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Melkster wrote: »

When I played it the Greyjoys usually did extremely well, Tyrells did well (in a five player game with no Dorne to worry about) and the Starks always did poorly. No other patterns emerged. Always want to go Baratheons though for that turn 2 King's Landing attack. Can imagine the huge amount of prestige(?) tokens you'd get in two-three turns would set you up nicely.
    Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    In happier news, the Game of Thrones boardgame is terrific and everyone should play it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/103343/a-game-of-thrones-the-board-game-second-edition

c26-1589947207-2-s.jpg

Bah, it's got some great points, but the play is overly static and most of the time the game is over before it even starts and based on things half the players couldn't affect.

Just saying.

Ports at least make the start less lolworthy.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Just caught this week's episode.

STAB THE LITTLE GIRL

SHE'S HORRIFYING
    edited May 2013
    Quid, you're a monster. She just sings a creepy song.
    enlightenedbum on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

STAB THE LITTLE GIRL

SHE'S HORRIFYING

Davos gotta learn to read!

Egg-on!
    NO.
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    Be careful around the Interwebs until the latest episode airs. There are spoilers going on, spoilers of events that are not what is presented in the books. If you want to know what the other thread feels like whenever the plot advances, don't click on anything even slightly spoileriffic 'til you've watched the episode.
  • DrxLecterDrxLecter Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Be careful around the Interwebs until the latest episode airs. There are spoilers going on, spoilers of events that are not what is presented in the books. If you want to know what the other thread feels like whenever the plot advances, don't click on anything even slightly spoileriffic 'til you've watched the episode.

Complete speculation and nothing concrete but i'll spoil it just in case i'm right:
    I bet this has something to do with Mel, Gendry, the brotherhood, leeches... I can't think of anything else that would stray too far from the books. I'm pretty interested to see this interaction and how they play it out in the show
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Yeah that sounds just like me a few chapters before the RW. Martin is a cruel man.
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

STAB THE LITTLE GIRL

SHE'S HORRIFYING

Davos gotta learn to read!

Egg-on!

Just suddenly realised how much of a pain it must have been to learn to read, when everyone's spelling things differently and have different accents.
    No wonder nobody bothered.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    DrxLecter wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Complete speculation and nothing concrete but i'll spoil it just in case i'm right:
    I bet this has something to do with Mel, Gendry, the brotherhood, leeches... I can't think of anything else that would stray too far from the books. I'm pretty interested to see this interaction and how they play it out in the show

I would actually be way on board with keeping in touch with the brotherhood.