Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    That scene where Theon was trying to figure out why he was being tortured.

Shit Theon, get it together!

I was actually happy when they stopped showing him flaying his finger. That was more brutal than most horror movie shock scenes I have seen. I guess it is because when I go into a horror movie I expect to see some shit. But when watching the Game I expect to see boobies and plot.
    Moo.
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    Glad to see Sam still has the dagger. I was afraid they were going to drop that plot line entirely and just have him learn about the effectiveness of dragon glass in a book.

Now I'm hoping Sam kills the Other, then Coldhands swoops in to save him from the wights. The episode 8 previews says something about Sam and Gilly meeting "an old man"; so, assuming that's Coldhands, we could see Sam become the Slayer very soon.

He's not the Slayer if none of his brothers see him do it. They should've kept that part in its place, I felt like him getting respect from his fellow crows is what gives him the courage to take Gilly away.
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

I was actually happy when they stopped showing him flaying his finger. That was more brutal than most horror movie shock scenes I have seen. I guess it is because when I go into a horror movie I expect to see some shit. But when watching the Game I expect to see boobies and plot.

I turned my face away. It was too gruesome.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Erlec wrote: »
    Does anyone have any ideas what Melisandre was talking about with the eyes? Could it be about her being a warg or something?

From memory, it went something like "...I see a darkness, and in that darkness I see blue eyes, green eyes, brown eyes. Eyes you will close forever."

Translated (as I interpret it): Girl, you're gonna be conducting your own murder train at some point. Respect.
    Does anyone have any ideas what Melisandre was talking about with the eyes? Could it be about her being a warg or something?

Faceless Man reference, either the faces she takes, or the lives she ends. Could've also been a warg reference, but they've really downplayed that in the show.
    steam_sig.png
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

From memory, it went something like "...I see a darkness, and in that darkness I see blue eyes, green eyes, brown eyes. Eyes you will close forever."

Translated (as I interpret it): Girl, you're gonna be conducting your own murder train at some point. Respect.

A bit of Jaqen's theme played when that scene ended, so yes, it is a direct reference to her becoming a Faceless Man in the future.
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

I turned my face away. It was too gruesome.

Same. Knew where it was going, didn't need to see what a flayed finger looked like. From the gasps in the room it wasn't a pretty sight. Makes it seem more likely they're gonna fully depict the Red Wedding though. Should be fun.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I really liked Ramsay in this ep, because he was speaking right to the viewer.

" guess why I'm torturing you, and who I am!"

I preferred "if you think this ends happily you haven't been paying attention" (or whatever the exact quote was), should just be repeated at the beginning of every episode from here on

Which perfectly sums up the series really.
    reVerse wrote: »

A bit of Jaqen's theme played when that scene ended, so yes, it is a direct reference to her becoming a Faceless Man in the future.

I don't know if it was your or someone else pointing that out earlier in the thread, but I much appreciate little stuff like that. I have a terrible ear for music :P

And am I the only one who heard the 'eyes you will close forever' part of the line (or did I mishear it)? If that wasn't there, I could totally go with the eyes meaning faces Arya will wear. With that there though, it seems abundantly clear that she's talking about Arya killing people.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Still to be determined if she will become a full Faceless Man. She did hide Needle so Arya has not yet thrown away her Stark identity.
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Still to be determined if she will become a full Faceless Man. She did hide Needle so Arya has not yet thrown away her Stark identity.

So it was "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" right? Green eyes sounds like Cersei, any bets on who the other two are?

Yes, indeed. She is trained in the arts of the Faceless Men. We'll just have to see where it goes from there.
    Alayne Stone has blue eyes.
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

I only foresee less boobies going forward, it is the cruelest twist.

So does my little brother.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Glad to see Sam still has the dagger. I was afraid they were going to drop that plot line entirely and just have him learn about the effectiveness of dragon glass in a book.

Now I'm hoping Sam kills the Other, then Coldhands swoops in to save him from the wights. The episode 8 previews says something about Sam and Gilly meeting "an old man"; so, assuming that's Coldhands, we could see Sam become the Slayer very soon.

He's not the Slayer if none of his brothers see him do it. They should've kept that part in its place, I felt like him getting respect from his fellow crows is what gives him the courage to take Gilly away.

I felt like his brothers still largely shit on him after that, which didn't make sense to me. John forbidding him to call himself a craven and Aemon's prodding seemed to do more for his self confidence. It really isn't until he gets stuck in Braavos that he actually mans up on anything.
    Automata-Sg.png
    Doodmann wrote: »

I only foresee less boobies going forward, it is the cruelest twist.

Well we should have at least one more viewing of Cersei and Dany at least ;)
    Moo.
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Your face when you realise Arya is about to become fucking Zorro.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

And White Walkers, somewhat more plot relevantly.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    Any future Dany boobage comes at the cost of having Daario in the same scene.

And White Walkers, somewhat more plot relevantly.

What I'm saying is that people shouldn't take the eye colors to mean that she'll only ever kill three people. Melisandre was saying that she'll kill a whole fucking lot of people.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Uggh, more Theon next week. That's enough, y'all.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    Any future Dany boobage comes at the cost of having Daario in the same scene.

Or Missandei.

Ramsay decides when it's enough.

But yeah, what the hell are they going to do with these two next season? Break him to Reek and go take Deepwood Motte?

Ramsay decides when it's enough.

But yeah, what the hell are they going to do with these two next season? Break him to Reek and go take Deepwood Motte?

Show more of the Ramsay at Winterfell stuff. Just like the torture, it all happens off-page, so they could easily toss it in there. Or just cut him out of episodes like they do with other characters.
    steam_sig.png
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »

Faceless Man reference, either the faces she takes, or the lives she ends. Could've also been a warg reference, but they've really downplayed that in the show.

It's a nice little bit of prophecy, as I'd think show-only folks would feel smart for realizing that she's going to kill at least 3 people with those eye colors, and trying to figure out who they'll be.

Meanwhile the book-readers can go, "Awww shit, Arya's going to take more faces!" And "eyes you'll close forever" refers to her going blind (for not actually forever).

And either prophecy could be cool and work, or even both could be true. For a show original it nicely copied the style of prophecies in the books, most of which haven't made it into the show.
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Hunts Vegas, TXRegistered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »

So it was "brown eyes, blue eyes, green eyes" right? Green eyes sounds like Cersei, any bets on who the other two are?

The brown are clearly her greatest enemy of all, the most talented swordsman in Westeros, He Who Keeps the Pimp Hand Strongest, the Slayer of the First Sword of Braavos (in one on one combat, no less), Azor Ahai reborn... Ser Meryn Trant.
    They are talking about where Theon is in the non book thread. And that made me think. He is probably in the Dreadfort or Winterfel but we don't know either really. Did I miss that in the books. I remember he just shows back up with Ramsay and we don't find out he is Theon for awhile. But that is all I remember.
    Moo.
    They are talking about where Theon is in the non book thread. And that made me think. He is probably in the Dreadfort or Winterfel but we don't know either really. Did I miss that in the books. I remember he just shows back up with Ramsay and we don't find out he is Theon for awhile. But that is all I remember.

Can't be Winterfell, he would've recognized it. It's somewhere he's never been and isn't iconic enough (like Harrenhall) that it'd be recognized.

It's either the Dreadfort or some other less notable Northern castle.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

I preferred "if you think this ends happily you haven't been paying attention" (or whatever the exact quote was), should just be repeated at the beginning of every episode from here on

yeah that was great
    NO.

yeah that was great

It would appear Geth agrees.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Melisandre has blue eyes :bz
    NO.
    Is there anyone on the show (including Dany and her not-purple eyes) that doesn't have either blue, green, or brown eyes?

I'd say Dreadfort, given that it's Ramsay torturing him and their emblem is in a few places. Winterfell was on fire, so it can't be there, and I can't imagine the other Northern lords would be too cool with the flaying thing.

steam_sig.png
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    I don't get why they put the Theon stuff in. For a series that has so little time to tell such a complicated story, spending five minutes of each episode watching Theon get tortured seems like a strange decision.

They're not gonna do flashbacks, they can't do internal monologue and thoughts, they don't want to have one of the big part actors sit it out for a year.

Plus GRRM did like 971 pages just on Theon being tortured; I'm surprised they didn't do a whole season of just that.

Yeah, this was a condensed version of the scene with Arya and the old hag in the books, who talks about a dead fish that opens its horrible eyes (a certain zombie-Tully) and some other stuff and then freaks right the hell out when she looks at Arya, and tells Arya to get her murderous demon evil bitchself outta there before the hag has to put on some Depends. I do think there is some double-meaning in there about different colored eyes and eyes closed forever, but they do give Arya her sight back in the books IIRC, don't they? She isn't blind forever.
    They gave it back after she warged into the cat
    Automata-Sg.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

more properly, they gave it back after she figured out who was assaulting her.

They assumed (I think) she deduced it based on her other, normal, senses. They are unaware (as far as I know) of her warging ability.
    Tamin wrote: »

more properly, they gave it back after she figured out who was assaulting her.

They assumed (I think) she deduced it based on her other, normal, senses. They are unaware (as far as I know) of her warging ability.

They may be. I thought she had explained it to them, but the explanation was her inner monologue, and she decides that she can have secrets if they can.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Nah, as I remember she gets it back because she passes the test, but she was cheating on the test and they don't know.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Hey, Ain't no rule that you can't warg a cat to pass the test!