Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Thread of A Series of Books of A Song of Ice and Fire (BOOK AND TV SPOILERS HERE)

• shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Now I'm thinking Theon's story this season is gonna end with some sort of "maybe we've tortured you enough and you can just rot in prison" type moment.

And then, right at the last second, they cut his dick off. And that's it for this season.
  • reVersereVerse The shadow's come to stay Registered User regular
    Fun fact: when Melisandre was talking about the darkness in Arya and the eyes she will shut forever, the music had elements of the Jaqen theme.

Also, Maisie Williams was left-handing that bow.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking Theon's story this season is gonna end with some sort of "maybe we've tortured you enough and you can just rot in prison" type moment.

And then, right at the last second, they cut his dick off. And that's it for this season.

Roose Bolton arrives home and they compare notes to see who had the gnarliest troll that year.

The Boltons - Greatest practical jokers in the north, for 496 years running
    Kana on
    That makes me wonder what they do with Roose for another season too. Maybe after getting him his title and picking up not-Sansa and such early/mid next season, they'll send him North and cook up some hijinks for him and his Bastard and Theon to get up to while killing time till the next season when they become relevant again.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Doesn't he still have to marry Lady Whatshername and starve her to death? Or was that earlier?
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    That makes me wonder what they do with Roose for another season too. Maybe after getting him his title and picking up not-Sansa and such early/mid next season, they'll send him North and cook up some hijinks for him and his Bastard and Theon to get up to while killing time till the next season when they become relevant again.

not-Arya

They'll probably have some scenes with him and Tywin, just to get the two hard assed bastards in the same room and to highlight his betrayal
    Hakkekage wrote: »

not-Arya

They'll probably have some scenes with him and Tywin, just to get the two hard assed bastards in the same room and to highlight his betrayal

Yeah, I'm thinking he'll head to King's Landing, arrive sometime around the Purple Wedding and take ahold of not-Arya and then head north. Theon becomes Reek during this time. Then they both meet up at some point around mid-late season and the writers figure out something to occupy the North till the end of ASOS. (cause seriously, basically nothing happens with those people post-Red-Wedding in ASOS as I remember)

knitdan wrote: »
    Doesn't he still have to marry Lady Whatshername and starve her to death? Or was that earlier?

Already happened. That's why (in the books) Bran sends whathisname out after the Bastard and returns with Reek.

That happened before Theon took Winterfell, but I'm sure they can make it work whenever.
  • SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    That was Ramsay. IIRC Bolton marries a Frey.

Walder tells him he will give a bride price of his daughters weight in silver, so Roose chooses the fattest one.
    Sotextli wrote: »
    That was Ramsay. IIRC Bolton marries a Frey.

Walder tells him he will give a bride price of his daughters weight in silver, so Roose chooses the fattest one.

Thus showing why Roose is an interesting cold-blooded SOB.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Right, thanks.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I noticed the camera lingered on the limp of the one Frey. I wonder if that'll be important later?
    edited May 2013
    I noticed the camera lingered on the limp of the one Frey. I wonder if that'll be important later?

Maybe it's a hint that if lord Frey truly wanted things to work out, he'd send more important people than Lame Lothar to bring his terms. Or maybe it's just another little nod at the book readers. Maybe both.
    reVerse on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular

Jaime will push him out a window
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I don't think Lame Lothar appears post-Red Wedding. But it is revealed that he and Roose are the primary architects of it, with rewards promised by Tywin. So we might be upping his role a bit because Argus Filch is kind of too lame for everyone to hate him.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    I don't think Lame Lothar appears post-Red Wedding. But it is revealed that he and Roose are the primary architects of it, with rewards promised by Tywin. So we might be upping his role a bit because Argus Filch is kind of too lame for everyone to hate him.

Well how 'bout that.
    Though if a primary subplot of the last two books is the fall of the House of Frey, which seems likely when they fall to infighting when Walder dies, Lothar might become a bit of a major player in a semi-minor plot.
    My cousin made this game: Gem Pop. It's legitimately fun, particularly for people who enjoy Bejewled, Dr. Mario, Tetris, etc. kinds of games. Only two bucks! If you try it out, PM me with what you think of it.
    edited May 2013
    It would be great if the houses Frey and Bolton fall before the end, to follow the example of greater and better houses before them. But I dare not hope. The great grease-bearded troll devours hope and shits out terror and despair.
    reVerse on
    The Freys are toast, it's just a question if we spend time on it. Everyone hates them, no one respects them, and they're (well, Black Walder and Lothar are) going to get their kinslaying on momentarily.
    Cockroaches have a way of surviving.
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Comradebot wrote: »
    I don't get why they put the Theon stuff in. For a series that has so little time to tell such a complicated story, spending five minutes of each episode watching Theon get tortured seems like a strange decision.

It's so we don't have the character on the sidelines for two years. Helps the viewers with a cast that is already intimidatingly sprawling, and you don't have to tell Alfie Allen "Okay, so... go do nothing, but you're not allowed to commit to anything long term because in two years we'll need you full time." That, and apparently the show runners are incredibly fond of Alfie.

Though, speaking of Theon... can't believe no one has brought up yet that Ramsay woke him with the horn. It's foreshadowing that, in season seven/Winds of Winter, Theon is going to kill Ramsay.

I feel like tonight's episode threw down some foreshadowing that didn't exist in the books in more than one way

Specifically
    Melisandre telling Arya that they would meet again, when they haven't even met the first time in the books

To be fair, we know Melisandre likes throwing out ominous sounding bullshit that can't be fact-checked. The TV writers are still playing Mel's sizeable limits pretty close to the vest for now, but we did get a hint of it tonight with her, "raising the dead is impossible!" reaction

It's impossible for sorcery (what she does). Not for the Lord of Light.

Wolf in sheep's clothing, that one.

"The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You know, it's sort of suspicious when a self-declared servant of The Lord of Light relies on shadow magic.

Deep down I hope this will end in an epic battle between the Brotherhood Without Banners and the White Walkers. Zombie punchfest anyone? (and don't tell me that Dondarrion is technically a revenant or some shit like that).
    Australopitenico on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Maybe the 'lame' Frey is perfectly fit, and that will be one of the surprises of the RW?
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I read an interview with Alfie Allen. The dude who plays Ramsay would just hang out with Alfie on set all the time, because Alfie would have to just hang there all day while they shot. Kind of cool.

Fer reals though the guy playing Ramsay is fucking brilliant. I could never have thought about someone just perfectly nailing it. He's the right mix of vile and smart. Love it.

The timing between "Oh my god, you figured it out!" and "Oh, yes, I'm a liar" was amazing.

Theon really doesn't have his wits about him right now. He named Ramsay as the Karstark that Jaime killed trying to escape, then said he was the brother. The brother that would have been killed by Jaime when he was captured, which Theon was present for.

I don't think this error was an accident on the writers part.
    camo_sig2.png
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    From show thread:
    Decoy wrote: »
    Also, with Lord Bolton denying my sweet, sweet Brienne passage to leave with Jaime, I have this horrible pit in my stomach that her time is coming to an end. Which makes me sad. I don't want to have to find a new champion. But since they can't tortue and kill Cat, they'll have to settle for doing it to the person she had carry out the order.

This is like the best worst prediction ever. 8->

It's great, isn't it?

There's another "Brienne is not long for this world" post now, too. If it is filmed right (and I see no reason to think it won't be), next week should be epic.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Reading the TV thread is just delicious. I can't wait to see reactions to some things that ought to happen this season.
    steam_sig.png
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So It Goes wrote: »
    I really liked Ramsay in this ep, because he was speaking right to the viewer.

" guess why I'm torturing you, and who I am!"

I preferred "if you think this ends happily you haven't been paying attention" (or whatever the exact quote was), should just be repeated at the beginning of every episode from here on
    Pellaeon on
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    What's all this about "not-Arya"? Is Maisie really leaving the show, I've been reading rumors about it, but is it true?
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
  • BlendtecBlendtec PittsburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh, I always forget about that. I was always suspicious of that in the books, cause I assumed Jeyne died. Doesn't help that Jeyne Poole isn't really in the show either.

Also, from the show thread,
    Really, really need to kill Joffrey. But for that matter, also Littlefinger.
    Varys on the otherhand seems to be kind of a stand-up guy by and large.

8->
    Blendtec on
    I also go by Twinkie in some games. Add me on Steam!
    steam_sig.png
    Ros as not-Arya was a ridiculous idea to begin with.

I'm betting they will still use Jeyne Poole. It's easy enough to say that she has been a serving girl since season 1 and not a big deal to recast.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Ros as not-Arya was a ridiculous idea to begin with.

I'm betting they will still use Jeyne Poole. It's easy enough to say that she has been a serving girl since season 1 and not a big deal to recast.

That is what they did in the books too wasnt it? She dissapeared after book 1 and then showed up much later out of nowhere as "not-Arya".
    Moo.
  • ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    I think the thread title should say: A song of ice and fire - Book/tv spoilers: Where we gleefully stalk the tv thread.

Very good episode, I like the showing of the obsidian dagger, the lame footed frey, the Tywin/Queen of Thorns fight/argument/crazy time and the madness of Bolton.

Does anyone have any ideas what Melisandre was talking about with the eyes? Could it be about her being a warg or something?
    I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. Gandalf”. ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yeah Sansa jsut assumed she died after the chaos when he father was killed. which made sense since all his people were killed
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
    Yeah Sansa jsut assumed she died after the chaos when he father was killed. which made sense since all his people were killed

Actually no. Jeyne Poole and Sansa were locked in a room together during and after the fighting. When Cersei found out, she gave Jeyne to Littlefinger because she didn't want any friendly faces near Sansa, so to better manipulate her.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Actually no. Jeyne Poole and Sansa were locked in a room together during and after the fighting. When Cersei found out, she gave Jeyne to Littlefinger because she didn't want any friendly faces near Sansa, so to better manipulate her.

Ahh yes. She was the one crying non stop.
    Moo.
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    That scene where Theon was trying to figure out why he was being tortured.

Shit Theon, get it together!
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Glad to see Sam still has the dagger. I was afraid they were going to drop that plot line entirely and just have him learn about the effectiveness of dragon glass in a book.

Now I'm hoping Sam kills the Other, then Coldhands swoops in to save him from the wights. The episode 8 previews says something about Sam and Gilly meeting "an old man"; so, assuming that's Coldhands, we could see Sam become the Slayer very soon.
    Automata-Sg.png