Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    You would be the first one I have ever seen defend books two and three of the Hunger Games as good prose.

I literally just said that I'd only make the claim about the third.

Like three posts above your post.

No wonder you don't think it's good prose, you're clearly illiterate
    <3

So you think the third book has good prose.

But the first doesn't?

I cannot even fathom this opinion. I cannot wrap my head around this statement. I'm dead, pooro. You killed me.

i'm dying squirtle
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Can I just say, and this isn't an accusation or negative judgment or anything, that I find it amazing that y'all apparently read so many books that you don't like all the way through. I wish I had that kind of follow through.
    Brian Krakow on
    "Know your enemy," and all that

I ain't gonna talk shit about a thing unless I know it pretty well and can back up my opinions.

Plus, reading is, like, really easy. It ain't an arduous, herculean task to read a book.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    Is the third Terrible Games the one where all the magical army thing happens? That one was goddamn terrible even by the rest of the series standards.
  • AnzekayAnzekay The world is not beautiful Therefore it isRegistered User regular
    I have a quandry whenever I decide I don't like a book

a sort of do I drop it and spend the time reading another book

or do I finish it so I can talk about how crappy it was
    Battletag: Anzekay#1395
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Reading a book that I don't like is pretty arduous for me. I mean, it's not like I don't like to read (it's practically all I do!), but if I'm going to read a few hundred pages of fiction that I'm not interested in or don't like then it's going to be a slog.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    What is the key to good prose?
    daft1sig.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Words
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    There's probably more to it, but those are pretty key
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »
    let me just

chheeeeck, nope

dang

i guess i'll just go with shouting the glory of sword of truth (i will not do this (i have never read those books (i never will)))

I once dated a girl whose uncle is no shit Terry Goodkind.

I told her I hated her uncle's books and she was totally okay with that.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

A miserable little pile of sec- no, wait
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »
    let me just

chheeeeck, nope

dang

i guess i'll just go with shouting the glory of sword of truth (i will not do this (i have never read those books (i never will)))

I once dated a girl whose uncle is no shit Terry Goodkind.

I told her I hated her uncle's books and she was totally okay with that.

no shit Terry Goodkind?

Isn't that the mirror universe version of regular Terry Goodkind? Despite the name, I assume his books are also pretty bad.

Maybe it's a multiversal constant that all Terry Goodkinds in every dimension write shit books.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I am writing on a post-it note to use 'sequipedalian' naturally in the near-future.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    Most people can't use it completely naturally. Sequipedalian is a word that inherently contains artificial byproducts. It's a thing that must be added to a sentence at just the right time, lest it spoil the mixture.

1. acquire a thesaurus
    2. perscrutate a word
    3. subrogate it with the most sequipedalian word the thesaurus endows
    4. geminate steps 2 and 3 for every word you compose

5. take 'dis nerdo's lunch money.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular

1. acquire a thesaurus
    2. perscrutate a word

5. appropriate yon boffin's suppertime simoleons

(i'm just having fun now)

1. acquire a thesaurus
    2. perscrutate a word

5. appropriate yon boffin's suppertime simoleons

(i'm just having fun now)

Yer next, poindexter.
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Women always lament with excellent style and word choice.
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    i liked Ender's Game, and Speaker for the Dead, and i read the other two in the series and thought they were interesting enough. i read a great many of the Bean books, too, but they didn't have the same impact.. they were just pulpy strategy/political thrillers at some point. which, don't get me wrong, those were the good parts.

but i'm pretty sure the whole concept of "white knighting" the dead, individual or cultures, is a rather limiting and limited view of Speaker for the Dead. maybe it is because i am not white, nor male, and was only middle class for the earlier half of my childhood, but despite those traits, i somehow found value in both EG and SftD. possibly more relevant, i'm an Army brat.
    the idea that you can respect someone's memory by 'speaking' for them at their funeral -- that makes sense to me. why would that necessarily be an ego trip or idealization and misrepresentation of that person? reality is not simply some objective series of events, especially when describing a lifetime -- we each bring our own lens to an ostenibly shared experience.

moreover, it is requested as part of the funeral arrangements, not some weirdo butting in unasked and uninformed. in the books, there's a drawn-out process akin to a research project, because the Speaking is supposed to be a synopsis of that person's life and their intentions. more along the lines of a good biography than a fanfiction, with both the objectionable and the admirable. we cannot live in each other's heads, but the philosophical goal in a Speaking is to know someone fully, and i find that to be a sweet concept -- a profound acceptance.

regarding Card himself:
    admittedly, it's been a few years since i've read them, but given the thrust of the works i'm referencing, i was surprised and saddened to discover Card is a bigot. but that doesn't mean his work is worthless, just that he's human with flaws. i imagine we'd have incredibly more difficult or boring lives if we ignored or boycotted every bigot that existed; the 'great'/canon authors come to mind. bigots through history! pick your battles, and all, so i don't blame anyone who has only bile for him. i just found value in some of what he's written; i suppose i have some degree of buy-in to 'the ends justify the means' with that, but i think i've looked at and known enough artists to be inclined, often as not, to separate a person from their work. i'm not an 'absolute evil/good' kinda person. sometimes intent matters, but i don't have the most elegant moral and ethical codes.

and now i'm getting contemplative on how craft can symbolize a person's apparent ideology in whole or degrees, and is that a more true representation of that person than something diametrically opposed to their stated views. well, no. being is a verb, not a fixed state. so OSC being a total jerk in his free time, but having created this character who
    unwittingly destroys an alien sentience, and spends his life attempting to redeem and combat his own ignorance and the results thereof...
    ...humans is silly. anyway.

EG/SotD spoilers
    the authoritarian themes are certainly there, but IIRC, everything pushing Ender is at some point portrayed as regrettable and/or expedient. not desirable, but that is the nature of military and political maneuverings; 'ends justify the means' is not a dead debate, by any measure. i'd really have to re-read to get a sense of what the Hitler apologist criticism derives from.

but the idea that a monster might be misunderstood, in the sense that none of us is the villain of our own story, those are not themes that are out of place in literature aimed at any age. the buggers were misinterpreted, and only at the end of the novel is it made clear to Ender, who despises what he has done, while being celebrated for it by the planet; when he becomes Speaker for the Dead, those interpretations are externalized, with the Hive Queen the sympathetic character to the public, and the Xenocide a monster. again, our and others' perspectives are limited.

violence may not be the best solution, but we have certainly shown it to be effective for certain problems. i don't think the book takes the stance of portraying it as anything less than brutal and stemming from Ender's (or the adult commanders', regarding the 'sims' and the entire Battle School program) sense of safety/necessity; Ender may be unaware of the consequences, but the reader is not.

you may derive some satisfaction from the angsty genius kid overcoming obstacles, but Ender's Game is a tragedy, especially apparent in the final chapters. Ender is not a hero in the sense that he is someone to be admired for being smart or capable or lethal, he is a compelling protagonist because a smart, damaged, manipulated kid isn't all that rare -- and he is a survivor. kids especially don't have much conviction that they can choose their paths, because they are rarely allowed to do for themselves; i don't think it's at all encouraging a 'might makes right' message, but that it's empowering in the sense that those choices are there to be made, and even adults don't always choose best. even happy, well-adjusted kids feel powerless in a lot of ways.

those last chapters are all about how exhausted the battleschool kids are, and lost in the dark for the point of it all, and when they finally think they're done training, the revelation that the simulations were real isn't joyful. the war that they've been preparing for is over, and they don't even get to process their shock and relief before the planet erupts in its own wars again. they're going to continue being used, but now by their respective countries. Ender can't even return to Earth.

now, he had a miserable home life and disconnect in some ways, but being unable to return home would still be rough; even with agency and choice, you can't 'go home' -- it's an emotional truth, especially relevant for the elementary/middle school age group of the main characters.

this goodreads review gets at what i'm saying, as well. lot of thoughts for a book i haven't read in years. but i think this is easily a baby/bathwater situation, so thought i'd put my litcrit hat on for a bit, crooked and dusty it may be.

You said it much better than I could have, which is why I didn't try. I had some similar feelings about the books.
    cheeseliker.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    also on that shelf: miscellaneous star trek paperbacks printed in the 1980s, michael crichton's Congo, a single R.A. salvatore drizzt book, piers anthony's Battle Circle, and a box set of the first two books of the Eragon series, still in its original sealed plastic wrapping

eugh I do not think I want to remember too much of that battle circle one
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    well

uh

i'm sure the star trek paperbacks weren't all bad

and congo had some okay bits in it
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    I used to fuckin' love R.A. Salvatore and the Drizzt novels

goddamn
    KanjiSig.png
    I wore out a copy of Jurassic Park as a kid
    It literally fell apart at the binding and I had to get a new copy
    I really liked Jurassic Park the book, yeah

also the deaths in that book were brutal as hell
    KanjiSig.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    nobody should be ashamed to have worn out a copy of jurassic park
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    crichton was good trashy fiction
    15Tpj.jpeg
    I remember that drizzt one not for its plot, but because it was one of those books that I had picked out and purchased with my very own allowance, instead of just finding in the basement or something

by that point in my youth I had gotten wise to the tricks of fantasy novels and thus only picked up things that were standalone or part one of etc. so I knew the whole story

except I get dropped into this one and it spends like half of its length bringing up and reflecting on really cool-sounding shit that happened in other books and in short I think it sufficiently betrayed me such that it struck a mortal blow to my once-vigorous love of reading
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    To get the maximum utility out of a thesaurus you can't just look up each word once. You have to look up the word, then choose the longest synonym and look that up, and then iterate this process at least five times.

Wait, that's not the key to good prose, that's the key to wasting time on a computer when the only program you have is Microsoft Word.
    Yeah I had I think the first three trilogies or whatever of the Drizzt books in the big omnibus editions

also the Cleric Quintet which was all about guys look at this cleric he is wicked cool and good at everything
    KanjiSig.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    man I seriously dodged some literary bullets growing up

my parents like, bought cheap versions of those LITERARY CLASSICS books so I had Call of the Wild and Tom Sawyer in addition to all the dumb star wars books I wouldn't stop reading
    I had stuff like The Phantom Tollbooth and a bunch of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels and TOM SWIFT JUNIOR so I guess thanks for turning me into a nerd, mom and dad
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I had stuff like The Phantom Tollbooth and a bunch of Edgar Rice Burroughs novels and TOM SWIFT JUNIOR so I guess thanks for turning me into a nerd, mom and dad

I really loved the Phantom Tollbooth movie and it was weird reading the book because I was confused as to where all the extra stuff came from

I love the book though

Also fuck yeah Tom Swift!
    KanjiSig.png
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist Look at the faces. Listen to the bells. It's hard to believe we need a place called hell.Registered User regular
    I read the Xanth series when I was a teen.

I am not proud.
    watchman25ia7ku.jpg291.gif
    Steam: cristke
    I have a copy of a tale of two cities handed down from my grandparents that I never read wedged between a collection of star trek short stories which proudly advertises the fact that one of them was written by the lady that played uhura and a book where kirk and spock are influenced by a satan machine or something

like, there is an actual devil on the cover
    xutFvZ4.gif