Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    I read a couple of the Xanth books when I was a horny teenager and they were too creepy even for me.
    KanjiSig.png
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    And then you find out the solution to all of Xanth's problems is literally the Prisoner's Dilemma.
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    I read atlas shrugged when I was thirteen and I

adored

it

it blew my mind

I couldn't figure out why they didn't make us read it in school

I got it for people as a gift
    NSxe4l9.png
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    still didn't read that fucking speech though
    NSxe4l9.png
    You know what fantasy books stuck out in my mind

The Magic Kingdom Of Landover series

For the longest time I thought they were written by Terry Goodkind and I was ashamed

now I know it's Terry Brooks

slightly less ashamed
    KanjiSig.png
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The library by my parents' house had a book in the fantasy section with an almost naked lady on the cover. I always wanted to read it but could never work up the courage to take it to the check-out counter.
    Old Red Ink on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I read a bunch of terry brooks

I can still remember the creeping revelation as I realized sword of shannara was completely shamelessly playing mad libs with lord of the rings
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I remember now that it was specifically Burroughs' Pellucidar novels that we had
    I was super weirded out when my high school teacher recommended I read The Pillars Of The Earth and I read it and I was like MAN there's a lot of rape in this book
    KanjiSig.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    call of the wild was rad and tom sawyer was so rad that on a road trip to saint louis I made my parents stop at a cave system in missouri that prominently featured in tom sawyer

• Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    We talkin' about trashy/pulpy fiction we read when younger?

Because let me tell you about Matthew Reilly.

what do you mean, when we were younger

What do you mean "younger"
    I read Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves like 3 months ago
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    let me tell you about how much I loved the Chronicles of Narnia
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

Hatchet had the semi-sequel that was like what if he didn't make it out before winter? and I was like YOU CAN DO THAT?
    I thought Hatchet was totally bitchin' rad as a kid and also I used to carry around my grandpa's old army survival guide and read it

I'm surprised I didn't become a crazy survivalist
    KanjiSig.png
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That still counts as younger!

I say this, being someone who reads Hovercar Racer regularly.
    daft2.gif
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist Look at the faces. Listen to the bells. It's hard to believe we need a place called hell.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    I read a bunch of terry brooks

I can still remember the creeping revelation as I realized sword of shannara was completely shamelessly playing mad libs with lord of the rings

I never caught that since I read LOTR years later.

But I really liked Allanon.

edit:
    like, why the publisher didn't take one look at them and go, "yeah, your young adult fiction is about the magical power women's underwear exerts over the minds of men, maybe stop thinking about that for a while"

The look on my Mom's face when she saw that book.
    Kevin Crist on
    watchman25ia7ku.jpg291.gif
    Steam: cristke
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    those fucking Xanth books

i will never understand how the dude was able to get away with writing like a hundred of them

like, why the publisher didn't take one look at them and go, "yeah, your young adult fiction is about the magical power women's underwear exerts over the minds of men, maybe stop thinking about that for a while"
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

Hatchet had the semi-sequel that was like what if he didn't make it out before winter? and I was like YOU CAN DO THAT?

I think he wrote a bunch more, actually

I remember one where he goes back out there with a journalist and oh no the journalist gets sick so he has to take care of him AND SURVIVE
    KanjiSig.png
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

And then there was the version of Hatchet he wrote that took place in outer space!
    except it was actually thousands of years in the future after Earth had been ravaged by Ebola!
    2wrn580.png
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular

Did your head explode like a watermelon?
    1AgQz.png
    Hatchet was so good. Now I gotta read it again to see how rose tinted these glasses are.
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    whoa the dude wrote Hatchet books up until 2003

i will never understand how the dude was able to get away with writing like a hundred of them

mind you i read every single one of them
    GG, please tell me all of these are available on Kindle, because I've got an internet connection, a credit card, and like 10 hours left in this shift to kill.
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

i read quite a few of them
    remember how a lady shifted between ugly + smart and pretty + stupid
    15Tpj.jpeg
    seriously, Sci-Fi Hatchet owns

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transall_Saga
    2wrn580.png
    Hullis wrote: »
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

And then there was the version of Hatchet he wrote that took place in outer space!
    except it was actually thousands of years in the future after Earth had been ravaged by Ebola!

OH FUCK YES SOMEONE ELSE READ THE TRANSALL SAGA
    THANK YOU
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

THANK YOU

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE
    2wrn580.png
    BYToady wrote: »
    GG, please tell me all of these are available on Kindle, because I've got an internet connection, a credit card, and like 10 hours left in this shift to kill.

Looks like it
    Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return, and Brian's Hunt
    I only read Hatchet and BW though
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

THANK YOU

That book threw middle school GG for a fucking loop
    BYToady wrote: »

Looks like it
    Hatchet, The River, Brian's Winter, Brian's Return, and Brian's Hunt
    I only read Hatchet and BW though

He would later change his name to Les Stroud and make my favorite series.
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    I read Hatchet, River, and Brian's Winter

I still own them, actually

I spent summers up in country like that, reading them takes me back there
    2wrn580.png
    That seriously sounds like a fake sci-fi novel synopsis
    KanjiSig.png
    Antimatter wrote: »

i read quite a few of them
    remember how a lady shifted between ugly + smart and pretty + stupid

wow and it's only just now i realized how that was the worst thing in the world
    Oh man

Hatchet

I fuckin' loved Hatchet

THANK YOU

That book threw middle school GG for a fucking loop

I fucking hated that bittersweet ending when I was younger because NOOOOOOO
    2wrn580.png
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    wasn't there a hatchet 2 where he's living in the city and he's all I HATE THIS SHIT and then he ends up back in the woods