Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Universal Studio's new film in November: Ender's Game

• AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Brian's Song: after leaving the forest Brian becomes a musician and eventually a football player.

How the hell are you able to make a Brian's Song joke, a made-for-TV movie from 1971, and yet you'd never heard "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies

Girl you don't make a lick of goddang sense
    it was played in middle school in some class or another after we read an adaptation of it in our textbooks
    i guess it was actually the teleplay
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I read a couple Piers Anthony novels when I was in high school. Then I balked at the thought of reading more..

TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Registered User regular
    Brian's Song: after leaving the forest Brian becomes a musician and eventually a football player.

How the hell are you able to make a Brian's Song joke, a made-for-TV movie from 1971, and yet you'd never heard "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies

Girl you don't make a lick of goddang sense
    it was played in middle school in some class or another after we read an adaptation of it in our textbooks
    i guess it was actually the teleplay

Same here. We watched the movie adaptation of Flowers for Algernon, and always got to witness our teacher dissolve into a weeping mess while reading it in class.
    damoonrulz_zpse43446fb.png
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
  • cabsycabsy Registered User regular
    We read Hamlet my senior year of high school and then my teacher made us watch the Lion King, a connection that went completely unexplained and probably unrealized by most people, but I think she really did it because high school students are sometimes terrible shitheads and she wanted to see every single person in her class cry when Mufasa died.
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    When we were doing a section on King Arthur, some kids convinced our English teacher that we should watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I don't know if the teacher knew what that was beforehand, but we watched the whole thing so clearly they didn't care
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    We got to watch Blackadder Goes Forth to learn about WW1.
    1AgQz.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    in history class for the cold war our teacher put on star trek VI and then afterwards was all THE KLINGONS WERE THE RUSSIANS DO YOU SEE
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    We watched the music video to Ultravox' Vienna in a university lecture once

and a the music video of Duran Duran's View to a Kill too

the course was on British relations with mainland Europe in the 20th century

my personal conclusion was that both videos are pretty shit
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am ashamed by how many Warrior Cats books I own

BRAMBLEPELT
    Hullis on
    2wrn580.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Damn. I remember watching the finale and thinking 'Wait, that be the right date...'

Then lots of comfort food.
    DaMoonRulz on
    damoonrulz_zpse43446fb.png
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Damn. I remember watching the finale and thinking 'Wait, that be the right date...'

Then lots of comfort food.

Best moment on TV, period.

Also, I read lots of John Bellairs and Lloyd Alexander
    Fencingsax on

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    romeo and juliet with jailbait titties

16 year old me thought it was awesome to watch that in school, 27 year old me needs a shower
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular

... never heard "One Week" by the Barenaked Ladies...

What a wonderful state of being.

whoa. WHOA.

BNL is DOUBLE PLATINUM, are YOU?!
  • smofsmof The meanest dinosaur Registered User regular

Oh god yes. We watched the final episode one year around Rememberance Day and I cried like I always fucking cry despite having seen that episode a billion times.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    smof wrote: »

Oh god yes. We watched the final episode one year around Rememberance Day and I cried like I always fucking cry despite having seen that episode a billion times.

Like I said. Best television moment. Period.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

16 year old me thought it was awesome to watch that in school, 27 year old me needs a shower
    My English teacher would "accidentally" pause during that part for every class.

She was a creepy bastard
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular

She was a creepy bastard
    did

did you mean to say she
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • agoajagoaj Registered User regular
    One of my classmates got up, rewound that scene, and covered it up with his hands.

She was a creepy bastard
    did

did you mean to say she
    Yes, she

The teacher had a fixation of showing films that were not appropriate for a high school settings. Weirded me out
    EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular

She was a creepy bastard
    did

did you mean to say she
    uhhhh
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    One of my classmates got up, rewound that scene, and covered it up with his hands.

one time we watched a video of a baby being born in my health class

then after it was done someone ran up and hit the rewind button

it looked like a vagina-monster was eating a baby and REALLY ENJOYING IT
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
    Shorty wrote: »

Nothing will be worse than my schools mandatory 20 minute STD slideshow

Nothing

EtrfZJ9.jpg?1?8021
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I figure getting the clap would probably be worse
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    mlyp
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I figure getting the clap would probably be worse

Especially if any of the hype on that new drug resistant strain bears out.
    HlDUfm7.png
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Nothing

Sex ed at an all boys school was

'use a condom or you'll get a disease and your penis will fall off'

Now look at these pictures of penises that are diseased. '

I will never forget those images

Karl on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah I had I think the first three trilogies or whatever of the Drizzt books in the big omnibus editions

also the Cleric Quintet which was all about guys look at this cleric he is wicked cool and good at everything

couple pages back, but I just had to point out that the main character in the Cleric Quintet fights chiefly with two weapons he designed himself:

a hand-crossbow that fires exploding bolts

A BATTLE YO-YO

he literally fights monsters with a weaponized yo-yo

Yeah he does!

Also the creepy raper guy from his cleric school eventually becomes an eeeevil vampire and then the guy has to kill him and he is like mega good

Yeah that's book 5 and it's pretty garbage

the ending is alright though as a finale for the entire series so if anyone is buying all 5 books they may as well read it

it's really terrible though
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »

Nothing

Sex ed at an all boys school was

'use a condom or you'll get a disease and your penis will fall off'

Now look at these pictures of penises that are diseased. '

I will never forget those images

bet you always use a condom though
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    that wasn't his point
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I remember in high school we had a guest speaker for health class one day. I walked in, saw a slide thingy hooked up to a projector, and decided it was a perfect day to sleep through class.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • RinderRinder Registered User regular
    In 4th grade my teacher had us watch The Endless Summer without knowing there was a nude beach scene in it.
    I remember my friend screaming "Jesus!" and then the teacher fumbling with the remote to fast-forward.
    obsidianspur.jpg
    -I am The Alpha and The Omega-
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    In my sex ed class they played this really weird informational video and at some point one of the child actors, for no reason at all, asks the adult "is the penis larger in larger people?" The actor who was short replied "no, tall people can have a small penis too."

I was the tallest in the class and everyone else (being 13 years old) took that to mean tall = small dick.

Thanks a lot shitty video.

Stig this pretty much made my day. Sorry dude.
  • Panic ButtonPanic Button The Hands That Thieve Registered User regular
    For some reason I always thought Orson Scott Card was dead. I guess I just assumed? I knew he was a dick, though.

I barely remember reading Ender's Game. I wasn't tremendously impressed by it, but I've never read much sci-fi do maybe it wasn't my cup of tea. I was busy reading Redwall and its various spinoffs.

We need some way to trade Card for Brian Jacques.
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Call these nuts the Sword of Damocles 'cause they're hanging over your headRegistered User regular
    Redwall was pretty great
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Are you guys talking about the Baz Lurham Romeo and Juliet here?

Because I do not remember that at all.
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    No, pretty much the definitive film version is the 1968 movie by zefferelli which features a 15 year old as juliet and has her topless at one point.

Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg