Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    don't do it you jerk
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d(1d6)
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    /me rolls 1d6 -> 5 (sum:5)
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    man, the primary apple trailers site really needs some sort of rollover text so you can get a one sentence preview or even a genre keyword, an attached director's name- something. having to click ambiguous posters is for the birds.
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    I don't want to go into the city and return these clothes but

Gah

Rerturn clothes
    Buy tequila
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    Geth roll 1d(1d6)

edit: f dis cooldown
    evilbob on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Geth roll Gosling
    falasig.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    /me rolls 1d6 -> 1 (sum:1)
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

Gah

Rerturn clothes
    Buy tequila

I bought all this nice dress clothing and pretty much got told to dress down by a bunch of people day 1. So I'm keeping some of it, but going back to grab some stuff more in line with the code.

I hate going to Manhattan on the weekend. Just let me hang out in my hood, city.
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Yellowknife, NTRegistered User regular
    The 'memorable moments' thread in G&T brought up the climax for Super Metroid for me. That's the single most memorable moment of any game I've ever played.

And it's interesting when you think about it. The actual design of that battle is incredible. I'll spoiler tag it just in case.
    You cannot lose. The battle is 100% scripted, but it never feels that way. If feels like a real boss battle the whole time, but the genius behind the design is that you're going through expected motions because there's no other way to play it, even though it doesn't feel that way. And it's incredibly dramatic and is, I think, the fucking gold standard that games should try to achieve when it comes to mind blowing ways to cap off a game.

There are so many great games I've played where the ending was just so 'meh' and I always think "I wish this was more like Super Metroid."
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Gosling: there's a max of 10 dice at a time. I tried 18 yesterday
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    This thing is gonna be handy. I'll be like "Should I eat Taco Bell or kill myself? Geth roll 1d2."

No more making decisions for myself! hooray!
    Geth roll 1d2
    /me rolls 1d2 -> 2 (sum:2)
    Ha, just as expected.

I'm onto you you genocidal maniac.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    Single greatest moment in WoW
    wfzlCJg.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm.

Siobhan is an awesome spelling and I feel weird veering from an established name.

On the other hand "fuck tradition, I am of the new age" is kind of appealing for a couple of reasons.

In the Steampunk future everyone will spell their name like Shivahn.

I knew a Shivohn.

She was African. It was intended as a transliteration of Siobhan
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The 'memorable moments' thread in G&T brought up the climax for Super Metroid for me. That's the single most memorable moment of any game I've ever played.

And it's interesting when you think about it. The actual design of that battle is incredible. I'll spoiler tag it just in case.
    You cannot lose. The battle is 100% scripted, but it never feels that way. If feels like a real boss battle the whole time, but the genius behind the design is that you're going through expected motions because there's no other way to play it, even though it doesn't feel that way. And it's incredibly dramatic and is, I think, the fucking gold standard that games should try to achieve when it comes to mind blowing ways to cap off a game.

There are so many great games I've played where the ending was just so 'meh' and I always think "I wish this was more like Super Metroid."

ehh?
    You can lose. I'm not completely sure about the after-the-hatchling thing, but you can definitely lose up to and including Mother Brain's Hyper Beam

I have gotten to the hyper beam attack with 0 energy tanks. Trust me, you die.

Am pretty sure that if you have <many> energy tanks, and have sub-300 health when the hyper beam hits you, it'll kill you. I've either never tested that permutation, or don't remember for sure.
    japan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hmm.

Siobhan is an awesome spelling and I feel weird veering from an established name.

On the other hand "fuck tradition, I am of the new age" is kind of appealing for a couple of reasons.

In the Steampunk future everyone will spell their name like Shivahn.

I knew a Shivohn.

She was African. It was intended as a transliteration of Siobhan

Yeah I picked this name and four years later learned it's a super black way to spell it apparently.

WHATEVER

It's not gonna be my first name anyway.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    BOOM CONFESSION

you can't hide from the polished jackboot of the LAPD
    I have cut down a considerable mass of extraneous hedge.

Take that, nature.

Now, beer.
    edited May 2013

Gah

Rerturn clothes
    Buy tequila

I bought all this nice dress clothing and pretty much got told to dress down by a bunch of people day 1. So I'm keeping some of it, but going back to grab some stuff more in line with the code.

I hate going to Manhattan on the weekend. Just let me hang out in my hood, city.

I stand by my comment.
    Exchange clothes for tequila.

How casual is your new jobby job?
    Deebaser on
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Gosling: there's a max of 10 dice at a time. I tried 18 yesterday

That answers my question. I was thinking somewhere in the 30's or 40's.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.

Take that, nature.

Now, beer.

manscaping chat
    Invited my parents and in laws to lunch today
    My parents probably think this is a "We're pregnant" announcement
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Yellowknife, NTRegistered User regular

ehh?
    You can lose. I'm not completely sure about the after-the-hatchling thing, but you can definitely lose up to and including Mother Brain's Hyper Beam

Am pretty sure that if you have <many> energy tanks, and have sub-300 health when the hyper beam hits you, it'll kill you. I've either never tested that permutation, or don't remember for sure.

Oh.
    I seem to remember the life drain of the the beam stopping at 1. Perhaps I was mistaken. It's still a largely scripted battle where you are pretty much going through the motions, but nothing you do actually matters. It's a story being told with you along for the ride.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    Ugh, I really want Stardrive even if it slows down later in the game. Watching lets play of this game and the ship design alone makes me drool.

You make choices on tech early that effect design for the rest of the game! And it doesn't seem to have the rock paper scissor shit most 4x games have.
    falasig.png
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    Invited my parents and in laws to lunch today
    My parents probably think this is a "We're pregnant" announcement

Please tell them you have a big announcement: you saved a lot of money on your car insurance by switching to Geico.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    We have a big announcement.
    We're picking up the check!
    margaritas for everyone...well the non drivers anyway...of which I am one.
    BOTTOMS UP, BITCHES
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    evilbob wrote: »

Take that, nature.

Now, beer.

manscaping chat

Power tools and a machete saw.
    Geth - destroy man

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson

Take that, nature.

Now, beer.

manscaping chat

You are very, very brave.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular

Take that, nature.

Now, beer.

manscaping chat

Man you're hard core with your pubes.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Also, fuck Colin Powell. Dude was a fucking pain in my ass today.
    edited May 2013

ehh?

Oh.
    I seem to remember the life drain of the the beam stopping at 1. Perhaps I was mistaken. It's still a largely scripted battle where you are pretty much going through the motions, but nothing you do actually matters. It's a story being told with you along for the ride.

You're absolutely right in many respects.
    It is a scripted sequence (and an excellent one). It's just that, the developers (for whatever reason) didn't really conceive of someone reaching that moment with fewer than X (dependent on N) energy tanks. So they set the hyper beam to do N damage (where I think N is 300, but I do not remember). If you have N+1, you're fine.

For the vast majority of players, it'll never come up. I am in the super-minority that is crazy enough to try.

Otherwise, you're right on target and I agree with you.
    Tamin on
    Quid wrote: »
    Also, fuck Colin Powell. Dude was a fucking pain in my ass today.

more like colon powell m i rite?
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The Enlightenment is now apparently a bad thing.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/02/fox-news-guest-scientific-enlightenment-and-reason-led-to-the-holocaust/
    Fox News host Steve Doocy asked Penny Nance, CEO of the Christian activist group Concerned Women for America, if she could make any sense out of why Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx would proclaim May 2 as both a “Day of Prayer” and a “Day of Reason.”

“You know, the Age of Enlightenment and Reason gave way to moral relativism. And moral relativism is what led us all the way down the dark path to the Holocaust… Dark periods of history is what we arrive at when we leave God out of the equation.”
    Super Metroid is possibly my favorite game of all time. It's certainly very close to the top.
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/02/fox-news-guest-scientific-enlightenment-and-reason-led-to-the-holocaust/
    Fox News host Steve Doocy asked Penny Nance, CEO of the Christian activist group Concerned Women for America, if she could make any sense out of why Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx would proclaim May 2 as both a “Day of Prayer” and a “Day of Reason.”

“You know, the Age of Enlightenment and Reason gave way to moral relativism. And moral relativism is what led us all the way down the dark path to the Holocaust… Dark periods of history is what we arrive at when we leave God out of the equation.”

Kagera can still cheer the Enlightenment at least, since he's anti-killing Hitler.

Couscous wrote: »

I'm not saying religious conservatives are actively trying to keep people stupid, but
This discussion has been closed.