Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Dead Space is an amazing game.

I'm not really enjoying it but I think that's more the fault of ME3 multiplayer than Dead Space's fault

After so much ME3MP Dead Space feels incredibly clunky control-wise
    sigtk.jpg
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Yellowknife, NTRegistered User regular
    My cat is named after one of the main characters in Revelation Space, "Khouri".

She comes when I call her by name. :)
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    So I just had the most profoundly unpleasant experience at work.

My boss was complaining about a patient yesterday. Parents are divorced, dad is gay and rediscovering his sexuality in SF and is a crappy parent (allowing his son to run around and even throw a plastic truck at the doctor). Whatever, shitty parent.

So today my boss takes the opportunity to go off on how kids always get fucked up when the parents leave, why can't they stay together for the children, and why cant they figure that out before they have kids. I just said that plenty of people do not end up fucked up or become bad parents when that happens, but I wanted to scream that he has no idea what it's like to not know who you are and try to figure that out, you can't put your life on hold for that, if you haven't had complete terror and doubt at your identity then shut the fuck up about how people should figure it out and on what time frame.

Aaaghhhhhh

He then made some (slightly) transphobic comments and asked the technician if she knew any gay people who'd had kids and gotten divorced later and just

fuck

Ugh.

So that's the first time something that bad has happened to me at work, though I guess it's not the first time something like that has happened.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my dog is named tumbles

my old dog was king

my cat was simba
  • AtomikaAtomika (citation needed)Registered User regular
    I have a cat I rescued from my brother, who was going to leave her as a kitten at the lake because he was tired of her being noisy.

He named her, "Dixie Normus."

She never would come to that. She later was renamed by my wife to "Doodlebug."

We just call her, "Bugsy."
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

My boss was complaining about a patient yesterday. Parents are divorced, dad is gay and rediscovering his sexuality in SF and is a crappy parent (allowing his son to run around and even throw a plastic truck at the doctor). Whatever, shitty parent.

So today my boss takes the opportunity to go off on how kids always get fucked up when the parents leave, why can't they stay together for the children, and why cant they figure that out before they have kids. I just said that plenty of people do not end up fucked up or become bad parents when that happens, but I wanted to scream that he has no idea what it's like to not know who you are and try to figure that out, you can't put your life on hold for that, if you haven't had complete terror and doubt at your identity then shut the fuck up about how people should figure it out and on what time frame.

Aaaghhhhhh

He then made some (slightly) transphobic comments and asked the technician if she knew any gay people who'd had kids and gotten divorced later and just

fuck

Ugh.

So that's the first time something that bad has happened to me at work, though I guess it's not the first time something like that has happened.

Blaming is easier than empathising.

Sorry that happened
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    When I was cutting the hedge, I found three kittens apparently living behind my shed.

I think they may belong to next door, though.

Save the kitties!

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    Atomika wrote: »
    I have a cat I rescued from my brother, who was going to leave her as a kitten at the lake because he was tired of her being noisy.

Your brother is 5 hitlers.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

That . . . BLOWS.

Okay. Remember. Fall, you're done. Maryland. Boom.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    One friend first postponed my brunch because he can't read emails
    And then he bailed and went back to bed
    And my other friend is a little late and I'm sooo hungry I could die

Why I wake up and eat nothing for 7 hrs? I don't know
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |

Your brother is 5 hitlers.

My brother is 7 Hitlers.
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i just pulled the hugest splinter out of my foot. oh god. it penetrated right through the callous around my heel! lots of blood!

fuck that hurt
    edited May 2013
    All of my cats are the true, legal owners of their names. Anyone else (human, feline or otherwise) is in breach of their trademarks, and will hear from their lawyer soon:

CAT-LAWYER.jpg
    spacekungfuman on

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

That . . . BLOWS.

Okay. Remember. Fall, you're done. Maryland. Boom.

Yeah I'm scared for Maryland but I am going to be so fucking glad to be gone from here.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    @feral

you may be interested in the symposium that Crooked Timber held on Debt. It ended so badly that it re-ignited the brouhaha between left-wing neoclassical economists and left-wing anthropologists that had been dormant for more than a decade (Graeber is an anthropologist, not an economist). Still, the comments had a lot of good back-and-forth between Graeber and other participants, at least initially.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Also, what is it about Chapter 12 and ambitious economics treatises? Keynes' General Theory also goes wild at Chapter 12.
    It just kind of touched a nerve I guess.

"Why couldn't they figure it out sooner?"

"Why can't you fucking keep your mouth shut if you obviously don't know the first thing about it?"

I kind of spent my entire adult life trying to figure myself out so yeah I am a bit sensitive about dumb shit like that.
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Man

Lack of punctuality (given punctuality is relevant to the context) is probably one of the most annoying things

You gotta respect other people's time
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Shivahn that mega sucks.

(Shaz that also sucks.)
    I couldn't make my character's butt very big. > :l
    desc wrote: »

There is surgery for that!
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

Well, your boss doesn't sound like a totally horrible person

I mean isn't he mostly live and let live, most of the time?

this is a special situation where one kind of has reason to be annoyed at the parent so
    xlh6c3.png

There is a lot of lameness going around today! What is all this.

Glad you rescued it though.
    I mean usually sounds like not a totally horrible person
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Time for Doctor Who!

29541.jpg

It might not be that good. We shall see. At least the Doctor has a cool hat.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    desc wrote: »

There is surgery for that!

Oh well. Small butt aside she has strong legs to carry around heavy armor and a sword all day.

Hmm I should make my rogue too.
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

this is a special situation where one kind of has reason to be annoyed at the parent so

He's not annoyed with the parent, he's annoyed at gay people for always leaving their kids and being shitty parents.

When someone does something wrong it's because people are funny, unless they're Mexican and then what's the deal, why are they so poor sociologically, or gay and then why do gay people always do this?

I got a shoe thrown at my be a five year old the other day and I am not complaining about how boys are always throwing shit and abandoning their families.
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

be mad at the parent for being a shitty parent, not for having kids or getting married
    sig.gif
    I mean usually sounds like not a totally horrible person

He usually isn't but he definitely has troublesome issues and doesn't know how to evaluate people from a minority without dragging that in and ascribing everything to that.

Aaaghhhhhh

fuck

Ugh.

He's not annoyed with the parent, he's annoyed at gay people for always leaving their kids and being shitty parents.

When someone does something wrong it's because people are funny, unless they're Mexican and then what's the deal, why are they so poor sociologically, or gay and then why do gay people always do this?

I got a shoe thrown at my be a five year old the other day and I am not complaining about how boys are always throwing shit and abandoning their families.

well, he is annoyed at the parent. That's why he's spouting the bull.
    xlh6c3.png
    I don't wanna say I know his type because that's a cliche but I totally know his type.
    xlh6c3.png
    It stopped being about the parent when he asked the other workers here if they knew gay people who'd abandoned their families and their kids consequently turned out shitty, too.
    apropos of nothing my hair looks real good today and goes really well with glasses

wish I had some that I could wear in public and that fit well instead of my "too lazy to put lenses on today" glasses

which were super cheap, are ill-fitting, and purple
    xlh6c3.png
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Yellowknife, NTRegistered User regular
    The other thing that doctor isn't thinking about?

Quite often (Certainly in my case), things are worse when the parents stay together.

What kid wants to hear his parents scream at each other every single day? It's horrific. My life got a million times better when my mom left. It was night and day.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    Man

Lack of punctuality (given punctuality is relevant to the context) is probably one of the most annoying things

You gotta respect other people's time

D :
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    jacob how many fists do normal truck drivers have
    Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    apropos of nothing my hair looks real good today and goes really well with glasses

wish I had some that I could wear in public and that fit well instead of my "too lazy to put lenses on today" glasses

which were super cheap, are ill-fitting, and purple

I had a pair of these and they slowly turned into my "all the time" glasses because I'm so damn lazy.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @desc @Elldren @Thomamelas @Powerpuppies

I'm hanging out with some of my bros and Justin is running a new core NWoD game where we're supernatural investigators.

I have rolled up a two-fisted truck driver who's not sure about this whole occult business. He drives a truck called the Turbo T-Bone and his skill specialty for Subterfuge is "Fake Handyman."

*sucks teeth* "I see the problem. You're going to need a new flange knuckle. And the grundle seal is completely shot. Normally I'd be able to sort you right out but I've lent my knuckler to my brother in law"
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    @ronya

I've been catching some blog posts about the econ v. anthro stuff that has surrounded Graeber. A lot of it has gone over my head, to be honest.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
This discussion has been closed.