Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    can I get some cake

something that represents my sexual leanings?

(not super good, full of alcohol, and kind of desperate to be eaten)

Tiramisu is basically designed for you.
    Atomika wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Shivahn, you want a queer cake? I will hook you up.

I don't actually really like cake >.>

I am the worst queer ever.

Mine are queer cupcakes, and pink, and from a cupcake boutique, which makes them triple queer or something.

Exponentially queer.

Should I send you queer donuts or something? Queer sopapillas? Queer petit-fours (queer is probably redundant here)?

Actually cupcakes sound awesome. Certain cakes are ok.

I am enjoying the description of triple-queer cupcakes.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Criminal minds has someone distilling something through a distillation column that isn't even plumbed in.

*snort*

*glasses shove*

Criminal Minds is a show about solving crimes with profiling.

*snort*
    dkmouthsig.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's a piece of cake to bake a pretty cake.

I made one a few days ago, talk about an easy way to get praise. I totally get Shirleys stick in Community now.

Although the recipe I used was pretty expensive due to using a ton of ground almonds which for some reason are really expensive over here. (Apparently they are about 1/4th the price in Germany, but over here only health stores carry it).
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    cupcakes! damnit I knew I forgot to do something today. I was gonna make cupcakes.

also damnit, I was gonna go to IKEA and get a bunch of low bowls for making créme brûlée.

also a burner thing. Does IKEA stock those?
    xlh6c3.png
    I am the master at créme brûlée.

which fits very well with my sister's specialty which is macarones (she was taught by a french pastry chef)

since that leaves a lot of egg yolk

with which I can make créme brûlée

or the other way around.
    xlh6c3.png
    or I won't say master.

Only about one in three turn out perfect. They all taste very good - it's rather easy to do that - but the fun part is caramelizing the sugar just perfect. No dark spots, even base color with an even spread of light brown "bubblemarks", full coverage.
    xlh6c3.png
    can I get some cake

something that represents my sexual leanings?

(not super good, full of alcohol, and kind of desperate to be eaten)

Tiramisu is basically designed for you.

also to sound less predatory: only maybe two of those applied to the girl I'm seeing

also two of them also frequently apply to me
    xlh6c3.png
  • BogartBogart Registered User regular
    Tonights Doctor Who was perfectly acceptable, but next weeks is Neil Gaiman writing a Cyberman story, so if that's not absolutely fucking fantastic I will be extremely disappointed.
  • AtomikaAtomika (citation needed)Registered User regular
    cupcakes! damnit I knew I forgot to do something today. I was gonna make cupcakes.

also damnit, I was gonna go to IKEA and get a bunch of low bowls for making créme brûlée.

also a burner thing. Does IKEA stock those?

IKEA has everything.

Some assembly required.
    speaking of neil gaiman and the BBC, how was Neverwhere?
    xlh6c3.png
    Oh um

Actually I was just kind of assuming you meant for yourself, abdhy >.>

The radio version with Cumberbum? Very, very good. Ludicrously fine cast all giving it some serious welly.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    sup folks
    Oh um

no I was thinking like, you know, my preferred kind
    xlh6c3.png
    but it was in jest.

my actual preferred kind is lost teenage runaway with no cash left.
    xlh6c3.png
    Oh um

no I was thinking like, you know, my preferred kind

Right.

Either way, Tiramisu has those properties :P
    Bogart wrote: »

The radio version with Cumberbum? Very, very good. Ludicrously fine cast all giving it some serious welly.

the TV version, I mean
    xlh6c3.png
    the radio version reminds me that I should get that somehow
    xlh6c3.png

the TV version, I mean

No idea. That's getting on for twenty years old now.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Update on me moving to a new lair: still moving.

Stay tuned for when I set up my internet router and order takeout.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    @Elendil all your character stuff you've shown me has made me want to both go clothes shopping and play through Saint's Row again.
    But this time with a classier, more dressy character.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    @ronya

is there a decent primer out there for a person looking to learn about economics?

There are ebooks of Keynes' General Theory and The Road to Serfdom, and there's always Wealth of Nations but I suspect they may be more along the lines of academically interesting classic works than something for an amateur to plunge into.
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    grown-up desserts are the best

tiramisu, rum cake, rum raisin ice cream, coffee ice cream, crème brûlée, drinking chocolate...
    jBEKRTH.png
    Does SR3rd have a plot, or is it just all sandboxy like GTA where I'm going to be bored from all the poor combat mechanics?

Cause now I wanna play.
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular

the TV version, I mean
    I thought it was watchable, but nothing amazing.

sigvf.jpg
    @ronya

is there a decent primer out there for a person looking to learn about economics?

There are ebooks of Keynes' General Theory and The Road to Serfdom, and there's always Wealth of Nations but I suspect they may be more along the lines of academically interesting classic works than something for an amateur to plunge into.

There are some great videos on YouTube about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRNI04tnN8
    Does SR3rd have a plot, or is it just all sandboxy like GTA where I'm going to be bored from all the poor combat mechanics?

Cause now I wanna play.

It is kinda like GTA in a lot of ways, but it's also silly. It is funny and knows it, and the combat is really not bad (it's sort of a standard third person shooter).

Oh and hey it may or may not let you coop the entire campaign with your sexy queer friends online.

Just sayin'.

(I... I think it lets you, anyway >.>)

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH

It lets me dress up pretty ladies.
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular
    @Desc

I just realized that Marvel Heroes is open beta this weekend.

Downloading while I do other homework.
    falasig.png

Cause now I wanna play.

It is kinda like GTA in a lot of ways, but it's also silly. It is funny and knows it, and the combat is really not bad (it's sort of a standard third person shooter).

Oh and hey it may or may not let you coop the entire campaign with your sexy queer friends online.

Just sayin'.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH

I may look for this sexy dress-up game.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @ronya

@enc0re has book recommendations:
    enc0re wrote: »
    I really kinda wish I knew what you guys were talking about.
    Where does one start to learn some of this stuff?

I teach college economics for a living. To the interested individual, I always recommend the following book. Macroeconomic Essentials. It is clear, short, and doesn't require a big math background. It also helps that it isn't very expensive. At the same time it manages to be rigorous. It's one of those books that you can understand the first time through, yet every time you read it you discover another insight that you didn't appreciate the first time.

Now the specific thing we were just discussing is closer to a topic called 'Econometrics.' This is the intersection of economic models and how you implement them on statistical data. There is an excellent book I can recommend on this subject that has gotten many an economist through their Ph.D. program, yet can be read by non-economists. A Guide to Econometrics.

You will notice that it is written by the same author. That's no accident. Peter Kennedy is the kind of economist who understands his field so well, he can explain even difficult concepts with crystal clarity. I read this Econometrics text in grad school. Because of how good it was I looked around what other textbooks he had written and found his macro book that way. I even taught out of it for a while. But I have found that it's better for studying on your own. For a course, students do better with a more comprehensive book that has problem sets, supporting websites, online homework problems, and all that jazz. I use N. Gregory Mankiw these days, same as just about everyone else. You know, this guy:

http://media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:362047

Unfortunately I don't have any of those texts, and my non-helpful advice is that many of the pop econ books on the market are terrible introductions to thinking like an economist. It's the difference between learning modern physics out of a popsci book vs a textbook...

Only that I've found popsci books that place theories in the same way that a textbook would, at the expense of being completely useless for any purpose besides being a map to the intellectual terrain (which is what one really wants, yes?). You can't study from it - there is too little detail - but it has just enough rigor that the motivation isn't completely handwaved. I haven't found anything like that for economics. Advanced Macroeconomics by Romer serves for a map to modern macroecon here, but it does require high-school calculus, and is a little too far toward the 'detail' side of the detail-vs-map tradeoff.
    ronya on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    TIL that Anton Yelchin (Chekov, Star Trek 2009 / Into Darkness) played Bobby Garfield in Hearts in Atlantis some 12 years ago. ... And apparently he was Kyle Reese in Salvation? Weird!
    Tamin on

Cause now I wanna play.

Just sayin'.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH

I played the game with jeans and a purple hoodie and bandana worn as a headband and never changed, and that was still my favorite part of the game.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Almost nobody writes useful subject maps. The demand is too low and the preparation too difficult. I'm decently sure Penrose's main compensation for that tome he wrote was satisfying a personal itch. It's great in the sense of "oh, so that's why the undergraduate curriculum is laid out in that sequence" before having to actually take the entire undergraduate degree, to be sure.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Heh. I have the road to reality.

Also, not afraid of a bit of maths (OU student. Have done this and currently studying this.)

May just get the classic ebooks (in fact, I already have, since they're available free) and see what I can get out of them.

Cause now I wanna play.

Just sayin'.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THOUGH

I played the game with jeans and a purple hoodie and bandana worn as a headband and never changed, and that was still my favorite part of the game.

I think I spend as much time in character creation as I do playing any given game.

Which Bethesda goes and fucks me over with by not giving my character anything to do or say.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    London in the summer is great. Beer and musical festivals every weekend of you want it.

At a festival now with London's craft scene and bluegrass music. Fantastic

The very idea of bluegrass in London is weird to me. It's such a specific cultural thing to Appalachia.

You are right, but London appropriates and assimilates culture
    @ronya

There are some great videos on YouTube about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCRNI04tnN8

@Ronya halp
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    My boss rocked a lot of elegant dresses and heels stepping in and out of her assorted sports cars.

But then sometimes she would wear tattered cargo shorts, striped tights, combat boots, a bra, tactical gloves, and that plated paintball mask because sometimes one needs to teach lessons.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    My boss rocked a lot of elegant dresses and heels stepping in and out of her assorted sports cars.

But then sometimes she would wear tattered cargo shorts, striped tights, combat boots, a bra, tactical gloves, and that plated paintball mask because sometimes one needs to teach lessons.

my boss had elegant dress floppy bunny shoes and silly glasses
This discussion has been closed.