Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    jacob how many fists do normal truck drivers have

the difference between the gear shift hand and the out-the-window hand eventually become so great that any definition of "fist" can only encompass one at a time.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    back from the doctor's

i got more done at a walk in clinic today than i've done in the last two months abotu figuring out whats up with my health
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Wh
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    So I just had the most profoundly unpleasant experience at work.

My boss was complaining about a patient yesterday. Parents are divorced, dad is gay and rediscovering his sexuality in SF and is a crappy parent (allowing his son to run around and even throw a plastic truck at the doctor). Whatever, shitty parent.

So today my boss takes the opportunity to go off on how kids always get fucked up when the parents leave, why can't they stay together for the children, and why cant they figure that out before they have kids. I just said that plenty of people do not end up fucked up or become bad parents when that happens, but I wanted to scream that he has no idea what it's like to not know who you are and try to figure that out, you can't put your life on hold for that, if you haven't had complete terror and doubt at your identity then shut the fuck up about how people should figure it out and on what time frame.

Aaaghhhhhh

He then made some (slightly) transphobic comments and asked the technician if she knew any gay people who'd had kids and gotten divorced later and just

fuck

Ugh.

So that's the first time something that bad has happened to me at work, though I guess it's not the first time something like that has happened.

Well, your boss doesn't sound like a totally horrible person

I mean isn't he mostly live and let live, most of the time?

this is a special situation where one kind of has reason to be annoyed at the parent so

He's not annoyed with the parent, he's annoyed at gay people for always leaving their kids and being shitty parents.

When someone does something wrong it's because people are funny, unless they're Mexican and then what's the deal, why are they so poor sociologically, or gay and then why do gay people always do this?

I got a shoe thrown at my be a five year old the other day and I am not complaining about how boys are always throwing shit and abandoning their families.

This is cracking me up because Louis CK is on Netflix and he was just talking about how children are dicks.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    I don't think I've met many moral relativists, or at least those who actually followed what they espoused.

Unless we're misusing it to mean appreciates that there exists moral ambiguity.

I believe that morality is a creation of man, and there is no objectively correct moral code, but I think that is of no practical effect, since concensus morality functions identically in practice. I guess true moral relativism would require the extra step if acknowledging that the concenus arrived at by others can be equally valid to your own? I don't make it nearly that far.
    People can arrive at moral systems different from my own which can cause them to behave in ways I would consider immoral/harmful/whatever. Ideally I could discuss our disagreements with them and convince one/both of us to change our system of beliefs accordingly, but that presumes at least one of us was working under some sort of misapprehension or hadn't thought out the implications of our beliefs fully enough. If our subconscious emotions and conscious patterns of thought are simply different enough that no system of morality could satisfy both then there's nothing we could do to convince each other.

When that happens, or when the other person is simply unwilling or unable to consider the possibility of changing their morality, I have to measure the harm done (in my judgement) by the other person's actions against the harm that would be done by my forcibly making them (not?) do whatever we disagree about, whether through physical or legal means.

I don't have the legal authority to make laws, and in my personal experience it's rarely been worth physically forcing someone to not do something that wasn't already illegal. Even when it is illegal I think it's typically best to let the law take care of it so as to avoid taking the law into my own hands, except when someone is in imminent danger or something like that. That said, other people might find themselves in circumstances justifying physical force to uphold their morality more frequently than I do.

TL;DR: Moral Relativism allows for enforcement of one's beliefs upon other people in certain circumstances, and in practice works pretty similarly to Moral Objectivism just with different reasoning.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    So I just had the most profoundly unpleasant experience at work.

My boss was complaining about a patient yesterday. Parents are divorced, dad is gay and rediscovering his sexuality in SF and is a crappy parent (allowing his son to run around and even throw a plastic truck at the doctor). Whatever, shitty parent.

So today my boss takes the opportunity to go off on how kids always get fucked up when the parents leave, why can't they stay together for the children, and why cant they figure that out before they have kids. I just said that plenty of people do not end up fucked up or become bad parents when that happens, but I wanted to scream that he has no idea what it's like to not know who you are and try to figure that out, you can't put your life on hold for that, if you haven't had complete terror and doubt at your identity then shut the fuck up about how people should figure it out and on what time frame.

Aaaghhhhhh

He then made some (slightly) transphobic comments and asked the technician if she knew any gay people who'd had kids and gotten divorced later and just

fuck

Ugh.

So that's the first time something that bad has happened to me at work, though I guess it's not the first time something like that has happened.

Well, your boss doesn't sound like a totally horrible person

I mean isn't he mostly live and let live, most of the time?

this is a special situation where one kind of has reason to be annoyed at the parent so

He's not annoyed with the parent, he's annoyed at gay people for always leaving their kids and being shitty parents.

When someone does something wrong it's because people are funny, unless they're Mexican and then what's the deal, why are they so poor sociologically, or gay and then why do gay people always do this?

I got a shoe thrown at my be a five year old the other day and I am not complaining about how boys are always throwing shit and abandoning their families.

This is cracking me up because Louis CK is on Netflix and he was just talking about how children are dicks.

Man the only reason people think kids are dicks is because they don't spend all their time dealing with the parents.

That is my professional opinion. Kids are occasionally super dicks, but it's surprisingly rare.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    I beat one more game! Only one hundred and eighty five to go...

Fuck me, I'll never finish them all. :(
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    @ronya

I've been catching some blog posts about the econ v. anthro stuff that has surrounded Graeber. A lot of it has gone over my head, to be honest.

I agree with most of this review:

http://jacobinmag.com/2012/08/debt-the-first-500-pages/

But that aside. It's funny to go back and read the late 1990s/early 2000s back-and-forths between Delong et al and the anthro bunch, because the panic then was all about free trade and globalization and Mexico has conspicuously failed to either collapse or emerge into glorious wealth. Nobody really went for the "yes, it'll work and create growth, but Carlos Slim will capture all of it" prediction.
    Also this sports bra is super itchy but I'm not out at work (that's half the point) so I can't really scratch or adjust it.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Registered User regular
    my character in call of cthulu is a 1920s fairy, an art dealer who carries around an antique revolver

I"m gonna miss him
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular

which game?
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    "My cats are very religious. Their Catolicism is very important to them."
    network_sig2.png
    I'm also a moral relativist!

unless there's some weird definition of that in which case I'm not that.
    xlh6c3.png
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Also this sports bra is super itchy but I'm not out at work (that's half the point) so I can't really scratch or adjust it.

Do you need to poop? Can you pretend to need to poop?
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    http://store.theonion.com/p-4820-womens-are-your-cats-t-shirt.aspx
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381

Taking their catmmunion, reading catechism.
    evilbob wrote: »

that's a bit like sneaking off to poop whenever you need to scratch your nose.

it's not really gonna work out.
    xlh6c3.png
    evilbob wrote: »

I just wait until no one's in the room, which is often.

I'd need to pretend to do it every two minutes and I think he would suspect some kind of cancer pretty fast.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

Dogs are very religious, too. They are decidedly catholic in their diet.

(triple pun score?)
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @desc @Elldren @Thomamelas @Powerpuppies

I'm hanging out with some of my bros and Justin is running a new core NWoD game where we're supernatural investigators.

I have rolled up a two-fisted truck driver who's not sure about this whole occult business. He drives a truck called the Turbo T-Bone and his skill specialty for Subterfuge is "Fake Handyman."

*sucks teeth* "I see the problem. You're going to need a new flange knuckle. And the grundle seal is completely shot. Normally I'd be able to sort you right out but I've lent my knuckler to my brother in law"

@japan

yesssssssssssssss
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

which game?

Pid, a pretty good puzzle platformer by some swedish chaps.

It has a 62 metacritic rating because gamers these days can't deal with difficulty.
    Atomika wrote: »
    It's been an emotionally exhausting day. I'm having an all-me party to celebrate.

- favorite pizza delivered with favorite topping
    - garlic knots
    - pink cake my wife brought me for being so queer

this pizza needs to hurry up so I can eat my queer cake

Oh god this sounds amazing in every way
    I've never gotten a cake for being so queer.

I need to call the president and see what the holdup is.
  • AtomikaAtomika (citation needed)Registered User regular
    It's been an emotionally exhausting day. I'm having an all-me party to celebrate.

- garlic knots

I would have tried some anchovies, but I hafta share.

So just sliced italian sausage and onions. Which this place does like a boss' boss.

And garlic knots. Soooo delicious. But they always make me wistful of New York, making me think of being back there.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Why are queer people always getting cakes?

Please respond in the form of an uncharitable generalization.
    dkmouthsig.png

- garlic knots

So just sliced italian sausage and onions. Which this place does like a boss' boss.

And garlic knots. Soooo delicious. But they always make me wistful of New York, making me think of being back there.

Anchovies are something I always hesitate to recommend because unless you reeeeeealy like them, you hate them. And most people are the latter.

But I am jealous of your pizza and garlic and fancy alphabet cake.
    Why are queer people always getting cakes?

Please respond in the form of an uncharitable generalization.

they uh...

all pastry chefs are gay?

I dunno. I'm not on the top of my game today.
    xlh6c3.png
    I've never gotten a cake for being so queer.

I need to call the president and see what the holdup is.

Texas is closer than Cali. The cake dispensary is in in Virginia, probably.

Yours is on the train, on its way.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Shivahn, you want a queer cake? I will hook you up.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
    my dad likes anchovies a lot.

It's actually not all that bad. Not really my cup of tea but it's actually pretty good in the way we do when we make homemade pizza. Just enough that there isn't too much anchovy in the taste.
    xlh6c3.png

- garlic knots

Anchovies are something I always hesitate to recommend because unless you reeeeeealy like them, you hate them. And most people are the latter.

But I am jealous of your pizza and garlic and fancy alphabet cake.

You would be more jealous if you had ever had this pizza.

It's some serious shit. :p

I don't actually really like cake >.>

I am the worst queer ever.
    ronya wrote: »

(triple pun score?)

I've always heard they were particularly dogmatic.
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I need to bake a cake or two, or some muffins or biscuits or something for work in a couple of weeks.

Haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. Did that tomato soup chocolate cake before.
    ronya wrote: »

(triple pun score?)

I've always heard they were particularly dogmatic.

booooo!
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    dk i just saw an excellent blister popping video

is sir interested?
    can I get some cake

something that represents my sexual leanings?

(not super good, full of alcohol, and kind of desperate to be eaten)
    xlh6c3.png

I don't actually really like cake >.>

I am the worst queer ever.

Mine are queer cupcakes, and pink, and from a cupcake boutique, which makes them triple queer or something.

Exponentially queer.

Should I send you queer donuts or something? Queer sopapillas? Queer petit-fours (queer is probably redundant here)?
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Criminal minds has someone distilling something through a distillation column that isn't even plumbed in.

*snort*

*glasses shove*
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    dk i just saw an excellent blister popping video

is sir interested?

Blister popping is never all that great because there's not a ton of internal pressure, the fluid is clear and the pocket is shallow. But by all means, hit me.
    dkmouthsig.png
This discussion has been closed.