Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I still don't get how moral relativism can cause all the bad shit that it supposedly causes.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Also, fuck Colin Powell. Dude was a fucking pain in my ass today.

more like colon powell m i rite?

If he joined the Air Force, he'd be Colace

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    Couscous wrote: »
    I still don't get how moral relativism can cause all the bad shit that it supposedly causes.

Well, I'm a moral relativist, so. . .

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i wish i could have the moral certainly that comes only from basing your world view off a several thousand year old book constructed from disparate anonymous sources and then translated multiple times
    Per3th.jpg
  • AldoAldo Registered User regular

Look, you can only be good when you follow [religion of person making statement], if you do not follow that religion, then you have no moral compass and will do terrible things all the time. If [maker of statement] ever becomes convinced that [their religion] is false, then [maker of statement] will do all the terrible things ever. Anyone who disagrees obviously has no moral compass and, as a result, does not know that the terrible things they are doing are evil.

Any examples of people who did good without being part of [religion of person making statement] are to be debunked as proof that there's always exceptions to proof the rules or that that person must be religious after all.
    GW2 tag: Aldo.6019
    Free MMO Überlist
    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    i wish i could have the moral certainly that comes only from basing your world view off a several thousand year old book constructed from disparate anonymous sources and then translated multiple times

http://www.theonion.com/articles/mistranslated-myths-of-nomadic-desert-shepherd-tri,367/
  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Yellowknife, NTRegistered User regular
    The thing about Super Metroid is it's all very simple concepts, but the presentation is just masterful. The notion of this little Metroid that imprints on Samus is this tiny thing at the beginning that you don't really think about, and isn't mentioned again, but it is the lynchpin of the entire game. That is wonderful storytelling.
    And then near the end when you go through that area where all those creatures are turned to sand and then the Metroid remembers you and is confused and scared and runs off. And then gives its life to save you. There's no fucking dialog. There's no exposition. It's all done with a few cute little chitters and very simple sprite animation. It is fucking amazing.
    Look, if slavery was immoral, it would say so in the Bible.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    oh dear

now LeVar Burton is getting into the spirit
    knock knock
    who's there?
    LaForge
    LaForge who?
    LaForge be with you!

• descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    K trying nevarwintar
    Aldo wrote: »

Look, you can only be good when you follow [religion of person making statement], if you do not follow that religion, then you have no moral compass and will do terrible things all the time. If [maker of statement] ever becomes convinced that [their religion] is false, then [maker of statement] will do all the terrible things ever. Anyone who disagrees obviously has no moral compass and, as a result, does not know that the terrible things they are doing are evil.

Any examples of people who did good without being part of [religion of person making statement] are to be debunked as proof that there's always exceptions to proof the rules or that that person must be religious after all.

Also abstract horror at the idea that there may not be such a thing as unambiguously right and universally wrong.
    desc wrote: »
    K trying nevarwintar

which one finished first?
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    goddamnit i want an occulus rift
    sigvf.jpg
    Tamin wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    K trying nevarwintar

which one finished first?

Torrent. I quickly gave up on the direct download.

Hmm. Make human rogue and a female half elven cleric or else great weapon fighter but I don't know which.
    Wow dicing traditional stats huh
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    why is this heart of the swarm disc install taking so long

why
    NO.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    My room is a pig pen.
    Literally, I have to chase pigs out that have spontaneously appeared as I started cleaning.
    They are monstrosities created from plastic bottles, dirty clothes, and dust bunnies.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Pink haired tyrant On my throne of forum faces.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

why

because you touch yourself at night
  • MazzyxMazzyx Changing the World Order. Registered User regular

why

People buy things with a disc still?

Muahaha!

Actually just finished some work. Taking a small break. Neverwinter time I think.
    falasig.png

why

Giving you lots of chances to think about it and go 'nope' and get a refund?
    So, I leave tomorrow morning. I will arrive in Calgary sometime Monday afternoon. On Thursday I get my eyes lazered.

And then I can't use my iPad or laptop for however long after.

I'm going to go insane.
  • AtomikaAtomika (citation needed)Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Expectedly shitty day is both more shitty and less shitty than expected.

Yay for less shitty!

More shitty?

The work situation. The shitty agency people are even shittier than I feared.

And the less shitty situation could be even less shitty than it is, but it's not, so I will deal.
    Nova_C wrote: »

why

Giving you lots of chances to think about it and go 'nope' and get a refund?

boo

HotS is really fun.
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    I don't think I've met many moral relativists, or at least those who actually followed what they espoused.

Unless we're misusing it to mean appreciates that there exists moral ambiguity.
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco Registered User regular

why

Is it actually a disc install

I think last time I got a Blizzard game the disc only held some info and it downloaded a bunch still, though I'm a bit fuzzy on whether it was Blizzard or some other company
    CDIOl.png
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So, I leave tomorrow morning. I will arrive in Calgary sometime Monday afternoon. On Thursday I get my eyes lazered.

And then I can't use my iPad or laptop for however long after.

I'm going to go insane.

I hope you've loaded up on podcasts.

why

Is it actually a disc install

I think last time I got a Blizzard game the disc only held some info and it downloaded a bunch still, though I'm a bit fuzzy on whether it was Blizzard or some other company

I was just trying to remember if I needed to plug the disc in. I remember typing in the cd-key on the website ... and then maybe just launching the game? Everything had already downloaded the day or so before, I think.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/nras-new-president-wants-to-lead-the-culture-war.php?ref=fpa
    James Porter, an Alabama attorney and first vice president of the NRA, assumes the presidency on Monday after the group’s national convention wraps up in Houston. He didn’t wait until then to ignite a new furor over gun control, telling the NRA grass-roots organizers on Friday they are the front line of a “culture war” that goes beyond gun rights.
    Porter has called President Barack Obama a “fake president,” Attorney General Eric Holder “rabidly un-American” and the U.S. Civil War the “War of Northern Aggression.” On Friday, he repeated his call for training every U.S. citizen in the use of standard military firearms, to allow them to defend themselves against tyranny.
    The NRA is going full stupid.
    Leitner wrote: »
    I don't think I've met many moral relativists, or at least those who actually followed what they espoused.

It's a term with several meanings, of which that is one. Really any and/or all of them are problematic to religious moral absolutists.
    “That was the very reason they started the national rifle association, was to teach and train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm,” Porter said at the New York Rifle & Pistol Association’s Annual Meeting in 2012. “And I am one who still feels very strongly that that is our greatest charges that we could have today is to train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm, so when they have to fight for their country, they’re ready to do it.

“Also when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they’re ready to do it. Also when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they have the wherewithal and the weapons to do it,” Porter added.
    “Y’all might call it the Civil War, but we call it ‘the war of northern aggression’ down South,” Porter said.
    The NRA is getting the President it deserves. A fucking Confederate sympathizer.
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    Raven I want to pet him.

Also themed pets?

I have that going! After planets. Though the final planet-named pet is on his way out.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/nras-new-president-wants-to-lead-the-culture-war.php?ref=fpa
    James Porter, an Alabama attorney and first vice president of the NRA, assumes the presidency on Monday after the group’s national convention wraps up in Houston. He didn’t wait until then to ignite a new furor over gun control, telling the NRA grass-roots organizers on Friday they are the front line of a “culture war” that goes beyond gun rights.
    Porter has called President Barack Obama a “fake president,” Attorney General Eric Holder “rabidly un-American” and the U.S. Civil War the “War of Northern Aggression.” On Friday, he repeated his call for training every U.S. citizen in the use of standard military firearms, to allow them to defend themselves against tyranny.
    The NRA is going full stupid.
    amazing

sigvf.jpg
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    gosh, i have a really hard time dealing with films that feature mental delusions. when they're really pervasive, depressed ones it makes me sick to my stomach, and i feel overwhelming dread.
    My stepsister is adopting this kitty:

182585_10151630903473489_1266659805_n.jpg

I want to touch him.

She is also apparently naming him "Ares" because the majority of her family's pets have been named after Greek gods, see: family golden retriever, Apollo.

My snake is named Cerberus, so I totally get that.

(Yeah, I know Cerberus isn't a god per se, but he's from Greek mythology.)
    Never winter seems alright do far

@elendil you will be proud to note I have already created a redhead in plate with a two handed sword and have not betrayed the faith
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    All of my pets are named after musicians.
    When I was cutting the hedge, I found three kittens apparently living behind my shed.

I think they may belong to next door, though.
    Leitner wrote: »

I believe that morality is a creation of man, and there is no objectively correct moral code, but I think that is of no practical effect, since concensus morality functions identically in practice. I guess true moral relativism would require the extra step if acknowledging that the concenus arrived at by others can be equally valid to your own? I don't make it nearly that far.

“That was the very reason they started the national rifle association, was to teach and train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm,” Porter said at the New York Rifle & Pistol Association’s Annual Meeting in 2012. “And I am one who still feels very strongly that that is our greatest charges that we could have today is to train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm, so when they have to fight for their country, they’re ready to do it.

“Also when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they’re ready to do it. Also when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they have the wherewithal and the weapons to do it,” Porter added.
    “Y’all might call it the Civil War, but we call it ‘the war of northern aggression’ down South,” Porter said.
    The NRA is getting the President it deserves. A fucking Confederate sympathizer.
    my brain

agh

sigvf.jpg
This discussion has been closed.