Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• HonkHonk Registered User regular
    I assume C++ is much better at everything that C, O-C and C# because it has two pluses?
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    @echo

bottom of last page

:>
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    C++ is an incremented C.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    i'm bored, nostalgic and hungry.

And i have no reason to be any of those...

Boo.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Boo.

Prepare and eat a complicated dish that you enjoyed as a kid.

SOLVERS THE PROBLEM
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I've spent the afternoon in the ER with my grandmother.

Not an activity I would recommend.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    SanderJK wrote: »

Boo.

Prepare and eat a complicated dish that you enjoyed as a kid.

SOLVERS THE PROBLEM

hah...

Sadly, i am completely full. i don't understand how i can feel both hungry and full.
    Do you have to share some gigabytes of code before you can use C++?
    So, I've spent the afternoon in the ER with my grandmother.

Not an activity I would recommend.

Why is she in the ER?
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    if you want to use an array that large
    prefill it in matlab and use matlab
    3FMmC.jpg
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Sorry for such a crappy day hedgie
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    my matlab class is so hard I don't think I'll ever be able to not hate matlab again
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    if you want to use an array that large
    prefill it in matlab and use matlab

ha, I was trying to avoid exactly that
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Honk wrote: »
    I assume C++ is much better at everything that C, O-C and C# because it has two pluses?

I don't know about "better".

It's C with a few things bolted on. Mostly object-oriented things, from what I understand. Actual classes instead of structs.

I'm under the (probably misguided) impression that C# and O-C are descended from C++; so, if anything, C# and O-C are "better" than it.

I've always heard that C# is pretty similar to Java, which makes me want to stay far away. It's also a microsoft product.

I don't know anything about Objective C.

Tamin on
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    I'm in the "I want to do things, not sit around learning syntax" stage of Matlab and R
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Sorry for such a crappy day hedgie

Thanks. We're waiting for the hospital to admit her at this point.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh
    3FMmC.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Do you have to share some gigabytes of code before you can use C++?

Not really, if I understand the question.

just install something like MinGW that contains g++ and you'll be good to go for the basics.

Tamin on
    Tamin wrote: »

It's C with a few things bolted on. Mostly object-oriented things, from what I understand. Actual classes instead of structs.

I'm under the (probably misguided) impression that C# and O-C are descended from C++; so, if anything, C# and O-C are "better" than it.

I've always heard that C# is pretty similar to Java, which makes me want to stay far away. It's also a microsoft product.

I know iOS uses O-C so I thought I was gonna look at it a little for fun. But it looks really completely different from C++ so I got scared.
    Looking it up on wiki, I think a better description would have been
    "we looked at C and C++, and redesigned the language from the ground up. We ended up with O-C"

I do most of my for-fun coding in c and c++

this seems to be the compiler I use. I use the mingw package, but that's a windows thing specifically, so it may not be of use for you
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I have no strong opinion on Matlab.

I vaguely remember hacking together something to do psuedo finite element analysis with it because I couldn't figure out how to make ANSYS cope with materials that had differing properties in different planes.
    how did I not know that Alan Moore and some members of Bauhaus did a song about ducks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJO2Tjp3hQ0
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Why do I feel such a sting of personal failure whenever I make a typo on twitter?
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh
    y
    | Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
    matlab iz gud
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Matlock is p good yeah
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

I know iOS uses O-C so I thought I was gonna look at it a little for fun. But it looks really completely different from C++ so I got scared.

It's super different from most languages. Instead of calling methods on objects, you send messages, which is like this whole different concept that leads to all different patterns. The closest language to it is Smalltalk. It's p cool though. There are a bunch of different things you can do with it that are practical and straightforward where they are normally a minefield in other object-oriented languages. The syntax is really weird though, I admit that. I prefer C-style stuff. I think the newest version of Objective-C does allow c-style passing of messages.
    dkmouthsig.png
    Quid wrote: »
    Matlock is p good yeah

That's what being old feels like...
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh
    y
    I used it to model harmonic oscillation in springs. Like, from beginning to end. Then I did transforms to suss out the real answers. I also did math shit that only exists in like two books somewhere. Never again. It gave me a new and wonderful way of understanding the world but I will never go back to doing pure computational work.
    3FMmC.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh

I taught a class on MATLAB and tutored college students in MATLAB for two years, so if you have a question I can probably answer it. MATLAB is really... weird. It can be p counterintuitive if you've used any other scientific computing environments or programming languages before. It can be really powerful and even fast if you know what you're doing.
    dkmouthsig.png
    Augh, fucking finally.

It's doctor Who time.

Maybe this week it'll be enjoyable.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    playing Game Dev Tycoon, made a School Sim

:(:(

2vt4700.jpg
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh
    y
    I used it to model harmonic oscillation in springs. Like, from beginning to end. Then I did transforms to suss out the real answers. I also did math shit that only exists in like two books somewhere. Never again. It gave me a new and wonderful way of understanding the world but I will never go back to doing pure computational work.

yeah but that's not matlab's fault, matlab is great for doing that kind of stuff
    its just that that kind of stuff can rully suckkkk
    matlab sucks I hate it
    ughhhhh

I taught a class on MATLAB and tutored college students in MATLAB for two years, so if you have a question I can probably answer it. MATLAB is really... weird. It can be p counterintuitive if you've used any other scientific computing environments or programming languages before. It can be really powerful and even fast if you know what you're doing.
    yeah we had AMAZING homebrew shit for MATLAB
    I want to start doing some modeling in my new lab with it
    I really appreciate the offer!
    3FMmC.jpg
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    So I was diagnosed with a bad bladder infection

That probably comes from a thyroid issue

:C
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    “Losing faith is a complicated business and takes time. There are no epiphanies, no "moments of truth." It takes much thought and concentration in the later phases, which thenselves come about through an accumulation of small accidents: examples of general injustice, misfortune falling upon the godly, prayers of one's own unanswered.
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    So I was diagnosed with a bad bladder infection

That probably comes from a thyroid issue

:C

D:
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Bible Black?

Really?
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    Matlab was my favorite in grad school

Sorry to hear that DPA
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

You like pie? I could hook you up with a queer pie.

hehehehehehehe

queer pie
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
This discussion has been closed.