Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

world record [chat]

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    somebody who doesn't make a lot out of themselves, to over-norwegianize my english.
    xlh6c3.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    hah jake that's funny, i like the opposite kind of strap- cloth or leather, not metal
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    704(b) can suck a dick

also did you see what they're doing with de-minimus partners and special allocations?

I did not. Link? Are they actually going to tackle guarantees payments?

this is a thing from awhile ago

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/News/20127070.htm

Oh, I heard a little about that, but didn't read too much because I'm an exec comp balla 4 lyfe. Wasn't it basically the IRS giving up because the rule was too hard to make work?

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Why is insurance so goddamn terrible?
    you seem like a leather strapped watch kind of guy chu
    xlh6c3.png
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    this last week went to a 3 day course on windows 8 "metro" app programming (aka "windows store apps", and the course was by Charles Petzold no less!). Also went to a course the week before on kernel mode debugging and the low level guts of windows.

what I was impressed with is what a huge improvement is these windows store apps are for the end user. I know most people just complain (sometimes rightly, usually based on hearsay) about the new UI and the start screen. But under the hood in order for an app to be store certified it has to comply with a whole bunch of stuff which means

1) the app can install and uninstall cleanly with no odds and ends (registry keys, dlls etc...) leftover. You are guaranteed that removing the app will not harm your machine or impact any other installed app in any way.

2) It is guaranteed that no running app can corrupt the state (heap memory etc...) or any other running app. One of the biggest causes of crashes on windows (and why it sometimes seems that a computer gets less reliable / crappier over time until you reformat) is a poorly written piece of code (especially a service or kernel mode driver) that accidentally corrupts the memory of other running programs. So the thing that crashed may not be the thing which caused the crash.

3) apps cannot make use of any system resources (eg: access the internet, use the camera, access your documents or pictures, access the registry etc...) without you being informed that they need to and having the chance to opt out. Also you can, at any time, check to see what permissions the app requested when you installed in case you forget.

4) apps can only use a miniscule about of CPU and network bandwidth when running in the background without asking for your permission (and even then they can't use much). And an app can't pester you about it! After it's asked and been refused once windows will refuse to show the dialog to ask again. This means you can't install an app that will do stuff like constantly poll the internet in the background and eat up battery / bandwidth.

These are the real reasons why programmers have been bitching about windows 8 (especially Valve). Basically, over the last few years Microsoft has gotten sick of being blamed for all the shitty code other people write for windows and cracked down like woah with the win8 runtime API. Instead of giving programmers a lot of power and control in hopes that they use it responsibly they have cut out all the stuff people were using that gave a bad user experience. IE: rather than offering a half dozen different APIs for opening files there is 1 and it's the 1 that is the right way to do it (asynchronously, so it doesn't block the UI thread).

Programmers hate being told "no, you can't do that". Especially if that thing is something they were never really supposed to be doing but it saved them a lot of work or having to learn the right way to do something.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    this last week went to a 3 day course on windows 8 "metro" app programming (aka "windows store apps", and the course was by Charles Petzold no less!). Also went to a course the week before on kernel mode debugging and the low level guts of windows.

what I was impressed with is what a huge improvement is these windows store apps are for the end user. I know most people just complain (sometimes rightly, usually based on hearsay) about the new UI and the start screen. But under the hood in order for an app to be store certified it has to comply with a whole bunch of stuff which means

1) the app can install and uninstall cleanly with no odds and ends (registry keys, dlls etc...) leftover. You are guaranteed that removing the app will not harm your machine or impact any other installed app in any way.

2) It is guaranteed that no running app can corrupt the state (heap memory etc...) or any other running app. One of the biggest causes of crashes on windows (and why it sometimes seems that a computer gets less reliable / crappier over time until you reformat) is a poorly written piece of code (especially a service or kernel mode driver) that accidentally corrupts the memory of other running programs. So the thing that crashed may not be the thing which caused the crash.

3) apps cannot make use of any system resources (eg: access the internet, use the camera, access your documents or pictures, access the registry etc...) without you being informed that they need to and having the chance to opt out. Also you can, at any time, check to see what permissions the app requested when you installed in case you forget.

4) apps can only use a miniscule about of CPU and network bandwidth when running in the background without asking for your permission (and even then they can't use much). And an app can't pester you about it! After it's asked and been refused once windows will refuse to show the dialog to ask again. This means you can't install an app that will do stuff like constantly poll the internet in the background and eat up battery / bandwidth.

These are the real reasons why programmers have been bitching about windows 8 (especially Valve). Basically, over the last few years Microsoft has gotten sick of being blamed for all the shitty code other people write for windows and cracked down like woah with the win8 runtime API. Instead of giving programmers a lot of power and control in hopes that they use it responsibly they have cut out all the stuff people were using that gave a bad user experience. IE: rather than offering a half dozen different APIs for opening files there is 1 and it's the 1 that is the right way to do it (asynchronously, so it doesn't block the UI thread).

Programmers hate being told "no, you can't do that". Especially if that thing is something they were never really supposed to be doing but it saved them a lot of work or having to learn the right way to do something.

is there a Windows service that programs can ask to check for updates on their behalf now
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    The hum of the AC and the freezer in the next room is like music to my weary ears.
    Cinders wrote: »

Because life is unfair in more ways then one and we can suck you dry on the fear of the inevitable, whether or not it actually shows up in your lifetime or not.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    I'm too tired to sleep.
    xlh6c3.png
    how do they check whether the app misbehaves and fills your /user with junk or not anyway
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    That is really interesting to hear, Riemann, and kind of awesome.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    THINGS ARE GOING POORLY FOR ICARUS II.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The hum of the AC and the freezer in the next room is like music to my weary ears.

Because life is unfair in more ways then one and we can suck you dry on the fear of the inevitable, whether or not it actually shows up in your lifetime or not.

Getting health insurance providers to actually pay for anything is a massive pain in the ass.

SPACE

MADNESS
    xlh6c3.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular

Oh man

just you wait
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come

Oh man

just you wait

henry higgins

just you wait
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    And Neverwinter decides to do 4 hour server maintenance literally minutes before I attempt to log in.

Fantastic.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    ronya wrote: »

is there a Windows service that programs can ask to check for updates on their behalf now

there is a whole system for upgrades / versioning of windows store apps. It's very slick. And yeah, that thing you see in the start menu called the "Store" app will check for updates periodically (I think it's once a day? something like that). You can also call APIs to do so. Though you cannot force a user to upgrade. They can choose to keep the old version.

You can even have multiple versions installed on one machine if user A decides to upgrade but user B does not.

* just as a side note, people can still write win32 desktop apps same as always. Win8 is as committed to backwards compatibility as ever. These new APIs and restrictions are what you have to do in order to make a "metro" / windows store certified app.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    boo Neverwinter server maintenance >:c
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    my two favorite non insanely priced watches are:

-casually, a seiko pilotish

DSCF0938.jpg

-less casually, a classic tissot

41epoM3CqwL._SX385_.jpg

and my ultimate dream watch i'll never own but love dearly

nato.jpg

submariner with complimentary nato band

oh man, the forest green is ultra snazzy too
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    And Neverwinter decides to do 4 hour server maintenance literally minutes before I attempt to log in.

Fantastic.

yeah, I just jumped on a few minutes before the announcement. sadness.
    I'm sure I can find something else to play for now, but still, was jonesing for some more CW leveling and a dungeon run finally.

Maybe tomorrow night.
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    guys

no meat is stupid

but if someone doesn't like something, whatev, that means more for the rest of us

here is Jack Stack

img]http://www.delish.com/cm/delish/images/vg/jack-stack-bbq-super-sampler-del0511-lg.jpg[/img]

end of discussion

I love how when I googled that I already had multiple hits on the site, because you've brought it up before. :-P

It looks incredible. When I was in Kansas City for a job interview a few years back, they were assholes and wouldn't let me choose any place to eat. I got off the plane, got on a hired car to the office, ate lunch in their cafeteria, and was sent back to the airport as soon as the day was done. What the hell's the point of visiting Kansas City if you can't get some of that barbecue?

Oh man, that is some bullshit.

Going to KC and not getting any barbecue is like going to New York and spending the whole day on Staten Island.
    how do they check whether the app misbehaves and fills your /user with junk or not anyway

You cannot run any code on installation. You fill out a manifest file telling the OS what you need and it handles any registration / setup. That also means the OS knows exactly what to undo when uninstall happens.

Once your app is running, you cannot do stuff like write to the registry. You can save settings or files to a special sandboxed storage area set aside just for your app.

One neat thing it Microsoft offers, for free, cloud integration for settings and files. So you can save settings or files (up to a limit) for your app and it will automatically be uploaded to a cloud service which will sync that data between all devices where that user logs in and installs your app.
    my bed feels kind of empty tonight.
    xlh6c3.png
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular

Getting health insurance providers to actually pay for anything is a massive pain in the ass.

I haven't had this problem. But I make sure to pre-approve anything, which is easy because my doctor's office has an entire department dedicated to handling insurance stuff. If they don't approve it the first time my doctor just writes them an email saying "no, you are approving this" and it happens

I'll admit that this is not the standard arrangement at most practices, but it's great to see it in action. I've gone in on a treatment day before, had the insurance lady come out within 30 seconds of me showing up saying that we didn't have approval blah blah blah but sign this and we'll get it done, and by the time I have my blood drawn it's all taken care of

I have almost assuredly cost my insurer more than they will ever make off of me in premiums. Which is much better than my previous situation, where I had to go into tens of thousands of dollars of debt to not die.

I'm a living argument against for-profit healthcare systems.
    Abdhyius wrote: »

My bed feels kind of slanted tonight.

get ye some magazines and fix that.
    xlh6c3.png

there is a whole system for upgrades / versioning of windows store apps. It's very slick. And yeah, that thing you see in the start menu called the "Store" app will check for updates periodically (I think it's once a day? something like that). You can also call APIs to do so. Though you cannot force a user to upgrade. They can choose to keep the old version.

You can even have multiple versions installed on one machine if user A decides to upgrade but user B does not.

* just as a side note, people can still write win32 desktop apps same as always. Win8 is as committed to backwards compatibility as ever. These new APIs and restrictions are what you have to do in order to make a "metro" / windows store certified app.

that just tells me that only Minesweeperesque apps will be on the app store

most of the apps I have on my desktop require somewhat more detailed access

this is what's going to happen: it's going to be populated with a few major apps - gmail, skype, angry birds - then an unending flow of terrible $1.99 "apps" that allow you to play Minesweeper but with the mines replaced with pictures of cat or ladies, and then in few years Microsoft will lose interest because most of the big software companies pushing software that isn't free are still not on it

I'm actually using some boxes of books now and blankets to do that.
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Was super tired after supper so I decided fuck it, I've been meaning to get to bed earlier anyways, gonna pull a fast one on my body and crash like 8 hours early

Wake up 2 hours later

fffffffffffff
    sigtk.jpg
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    my two favorite non insanely priced watches are:

-casually, a seiko pilotish

DSCF0938.jpg

-less casually, a classic tissot

41epoM3CqwL._SX385_.jpg

and my ultimate dream watch i'll never own but love dearly

nato.jpg

submariner with complimentary nato band

oh man, the forest green is ultra snazzy too

H32505751-big.jpg

Only with a white face.
    tea-1.jpg

are you saying I should jerk off

is that what you are saying

do you want me to jerk off on your command

is that what you wish
    xlh6c3.png

this is what's going to happen: it's going to be populated with a few major apps - gmail, skype, angry birds - then an unending flow of terrible $1.99 "apps" that allow you to play Minesweeper but with the mines replaced with pictures of cat or ladies, and then in few years Microsoft will lose interest because most of the big software companies pushing software that isn't free are still not on it

could be. Like I said, programmers hate being told to stop doing stupid shit they are used to getting away with. And these restrictions are purely based around the good of the end user rather than making things easier for coders.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    I might go to sleep soon too. Wake up early, gym, shower, do my terrible section of our final report.

But I have to be somewhere to start drinking at 3pm. That might be a challenge.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)

could be. Like I said, programmers hate being told to stop doing stupid shit they are used to getting away with. And these restrictions are purely based around the good of the end user rather than making things easier for coders.

it's not good if I can't get apps that do what I want them to do on the Store!

Like, it's a problem for Google that so many of their most popular apps require Root
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular

are you saying I should jerk off

is that what you are saying

do you want me to jerk off on your command

is that what you wish

yes

I haven't had this problem. But I make sure to pre-approve anything, which is easy because my doctor's office has an entire department dedicated to handling insurance stuff. If they don't approve it the first time my doctor just writes them an email saying "no, you are approving this" and it happens

I'll admit that this is not the standard arrangement at most practices, but it's great to see it in action. I've gone in on a treatment day before, had the insurance lady come out within 30 seconds of me showing up saying that we didn't have approval blah blah blah but sign this and we'll get it done, and by the time I have my blood drawn it's all taken care of

I have almost assuredly cost my insurer more than they will ever make off of me in premiums. Which is much better than my previous situation, where I had to go into tens of thousands of dollars of debt to not die.

I'm a living argument against for-profit healthcare systems.

It is pre-approved.

My school's insurance will cover it, but they are demanding that I submit it to my old insurance to see if it will cover it so my school doesn't have to.

Which will require me to fill out a bunch of paperwork, and then more paperwork in two weeks when I lose my old insurance. Whee.
This discussion has been closed.