Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Also hey there is a Stan Lee documentary on Netflix

Watching that right now
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    It is the fabled promise lands of movies, then?

Flowing with one-liners, big budget action scenes, and puns?
    SirEtchwarts on
    acblackflag.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Definite yes on the first two

Not recalling a ton of puns
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    It could have used some exposed boobies.

But it is a pretty good movie besides the lack of nips and puns.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh my God this movie.
    Was hilarious.

I loved the movie to bits except for the final action sequence. So the inverse theory of Ninjas applies to Iron-Man armor. Got it.

Loved all the dialogue with the kid. Holy shit that was on point.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    This time, odd enough, I think trailers and teasers enhanced my enjoyment. Not the standard.
    Misdirects everywhere. From the main villain to the post credits scene, I went in with enough wrong assumptions to get totally blindsided by every twist in the film.
    2MyOx.png
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    This time, odd enough, I think trailers and teasers enhanced my enjoyment. Not the standard.
    Misdirects everywhere. From the main villain to the post credits scene, I went in with enough wrong assumptions to get totally blindsided by every twist in the film.

My only complaint about the trailers is
    The one that shows Pots in the Iron Man armor.

I really wish they had left that one to the movie, because most everything else was a total surprise.

And big movie spoilers:
    And my friend was disappointed that we didn't get to see the Mandarin in comic book form. It's odd, because I figured, for a moment, that was the direction they were going once I heard "No eye contact unless you want to be shot in the face." Sounded like a prima donna thing and LO AND BEHOLD!

I loved it because holy shit, the plot made so much sense. Everything had little links together that fit nice and neatly. And they had just enough ambiguity about Guy Pearce's motivations. Yes, he wants to create an infinite loop of supply and demand for his products. But it's never 100% if it's for power, money, SCIENCE!, or what. And we don't really need to know that, and he doesn't pontificate like a B-movie villain about it.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
  • MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    I wasnt too big of a fan. The movie was ok, but the stuff with
    the Kid just felt really forced. And I feel like they could've cut back on the Joss Whedon-esque quips that weren't so prevalent in the first two films. Another thing that irks me is the fact that they just reduced the Mandarin to, basically, a non entity. For someone who is such a major player in the comic universe to a drugged up actor just boggles my mind.
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    There's still at least maybe five ways to fit "real" Mandarin into the MCU if they wanted.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
    Oh yeah
    The nightmare scene with the new york flashbacks, since I used to have violent nightmare episodes like that back in the mid-late 2000s than scene made me cringe pretty hard.

Also
    Destroying his Malibu house works to cement Tony as the New York based hero we've loved for years. woot woot Avengers Tower hell yisssss
  • TonkkaTonkka Impossible! They were doomed!Registered User regular
    dspimoni wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    When people in the theater started getting up and leaving as the credits started, I thought to myself, "Really? Haven't you all learned this by now?"
    Yes, we've learned that sitting through ten minutes of credits for a clip that can be summarized in a single sentence on Wikipedia is a monumental waste of time.

Well, the thing at the end of the credits is a funny joke, not anything plot relevant. Plus, memorizing the names of everybody involved in the production is your duty as a moviegoer.

You said duty.

That really doesn't work in text.
    tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio!HEY SATAN!
  • TonkkaTonkka Impossible! They were doomed!Registered User regular
    I will go see Iron Man 3 on Thursday.

NHL playoffs and trivia come first.
    tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio!HEY SATAN!
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    the Kid just felt really forced. And I feel like they could've cut back on the Joss Whedon-esque quips that weren't so prevalent in the first two films. Another thing that irks me is the fact that they just reduced the Mandarin to, basically, a non entity. For someone who is such a major player in the comic universe to a drugged up actor just boggles my mind.
    Not only was this a great misdirect, the Mandarin is a character designed in the 60s. He's a giant, walking East Asian Stereotype. One that hasn't been active in the comics for a while. This was a spectacular way to deal with character.

I was stressed out about how they were going to deal with the Mandarin and his rings and everything since I found out he was going to be the big bad a year ago. They nailed it to the fucking wall.
    the hell

Comics Mandarin has been super-active over the last few years.
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Not only was this a great misdirect, the Mandarin is a character designed in the 60s. He's a giant, walking East Asian Stereotype. One that hasn't been active in the comics for a while. This was a spectacular way to deal with character.

I was stressed out about how they were going to deal with the Mandarin and his rings and everything since I found out he was going to be the big bad a year ago. They nailed it to the fucking wall.

Mandarin and comics:
    Actually, Mandarin was a huge part of the storyline for Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man last year (and the film definitely took some inspiration from that run, like the human bomb stuff and ass-kicking Pepper).

Basically, everyone should check out Invincible Iron Man.
    steam_sig-400.png
  • dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    Question regarding Iron Man 3:
    Has Tony retired from being Iron Man? If he has would that mean no role or a diminished role in Avengers 2?
    Did you miss "Tony Stark Will Return" after the stinger? Big ol' white block letters.

Followed by "Walt Disney, Inc."

I did miss that, apparently. Thanks for the info.
    All the way back from Haunted up till the end of the recent run, lots of Mandarin.
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

Mandarin and comics:
    Actually, Mandarin was a huge part of the storyline for Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man last year (and the film definitely took some inspiration from that run, like the human bomb stuff and ass-kicking Pepper).

Basically, everyone should check out Invincible Iron Man.

This sounds pretty sweet.
    Has Tony retired from being Iron Man? If he has would that mean no role or a diminished role in Avengers 2?
    Did you miss "Tony Stark Will Return" after the stinger? Big ol' white block letters.

I did miss that, apparently. Thanks for the info.

(b'.')b
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    i like how this leaves room for the real mandarin to be an actual chinese guy
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    Okay, having some time to digest the movie and discuss it with my brother more.
    I want to hate the shit out of what they did with the Mandarin, but it was SO WELL DONE I just can't stay mad at it. Part of me will be sad we'll probably never get a true Mandarin, but the wave of confusion that washed over me when the Mandarin popped out of a bathroom and started talking about how bad it smelled will go down as one of the biggest WTF moments I've ever experienced in a theater. It was just a giant 'I.. what? What are they doing?!?!"

IM3
    I was in the cinema thinking "Alright, the Mandarin reveals he's truly a badass... now!...now!..."

Good twist though.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Reminded me of classic James Bond.

Honestly those whole movie felt very James Bondish, which, I can totally dig
    NeoToma on
    PartyPat.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Goatmon wrote: »
    The movie was full of so many big cool holy shit moments

It's hard to keep track of them, you see

My favorites being (spoilers duh)
    Pirouetting uzi Tony Stark and Extremis Pepper Potts

Yeah, that part where
    Pepper falls into that fire, at first I'm like "NOOOO"

But then I thought "wait, she got pumped full of drugs that let people melt fucking steel beams and she's going to die in a fire?"

And then yeeeeep in come Pepper for the rescue. WOO.
    Fire cannot kill a Dragon.

I like to believe that those dragon tattoos the main bad guy had at the end were a side effect of the extremis
    And the people that exploded were just not rad enough to be a dragonborn

Oh shit!
    reading that I just realizedwhere the fin fang foom cameo was
    King Riptor on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

Except that
    the real Mandarin was Guy Pearce
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Except that

Yeah
    he even had cool chinese dragon tats! I thought that they should have showed that more, played up that aesthetic underneath his very western businessman attire, to show that he was the real Mandarin
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular

Except that
    yeah but he is dead (or maybe not?) leaving room for someone else to take over AIM/Ten Rings
    personaqn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Except that

How so many people either miss this or refuse to admit it confounds me.
    And he died in an explosion so he can even return.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

Except that

Yeah
    he even had cool chinese dragon tats! I thought that they should have showed that more, played up that aesthetic underneath his very western businessman attire, to show that he was the real Mandarin
    wasn't he just the guy who made up the mandarin

like if it turned out 9/11 was fake and dick cheney had fabricated osama bin laden that wouldn't make dick cheney the real osama bin laden
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular

Except that

Yeah

like if it turned out 9/11 was fake and dick cheney had fabricated osama bin laden that wouldn't make dick cheney the real osama bin laden
    he is the leader of AIM which controls the Ten Rings so he is the Mandarin for all intents and purposes
    personaqn.png

Except that

Yeah

He literally says the words
    I am the Mandarin.
    detail-1.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    The movie was full of so many big cool holy shit moments

It's hard to keep track of them, you see

My favorites being (spoilers duh)
    Pirouetting uzi Tony Stark and Extremis Pepper Potts
    Can the next movie just be about Extremis Pepper and Iron Patriot?

I would also accept just regular Pepper and Rhodey.
    2cf4m6f.gif xn9f68.png
    I'm looking for PAX Badges! Please PM me if you have a Four Day, or any Single Day Badges to spare!
  • CenoCeno Chumble spuzz. Registered User regular
    I felt IM3 was 20 minutes too long otherwise quite enjoyable.
    Actually kind of unsure how I feel about the "clean slate" protocol. It felt like a really quick resolution to Tony's character (which I guess makes sense given the contract thing). And I suppose it sets the stage for a big Return to the Suit moment in Avengers 2.
    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: Genesius Prime / PSN: Genesius_Prime / Origin: genesiusprime / 3DS: 4871-3718-5715
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I felt IM3 was 20 minutes too long otherwise quite enjoyable.
    Actually kind of unsure how I feel about the "clean slate" protocol. It felt like a really quick resolution to Tony's character (which I guess makes sense given the contract thing). And I suppose it sets the stage for a big Return to the Suit moment in Avengers 2.
    Um
    Clean slate means he's starting over and not focusing on his past mistakes( ie making 42 armors in the span of a year because he's paranoid). Not that he's done being Iron man.
    Last line of the film was
    I am Ironman right?

Cause I'm starting to think this movie gives you "I am..." amnesia.
    detail-1.jpg