Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Aww Blackisms.

One of the best -isms we have as a people.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I was too distracted by Gwyneth Paltrow's abs to notice anything near the end of the film.

I mean God Damn.

Whatever crazy fitness and nutrition routine she is on apparently works on some kind of level.

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Does somebody go out into the park and pull up the dinosaurs' skirts?Registered User regular
    Interesting (spoilery) article on how Iron Man 3 shows JJ Abrams how to do the mystery box.
    dfd58e54-76e3-4cca-a87e-8fabd8a8c8eb_zpscb3d0a8b.jpg
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    If you haven't already, everyone should take this opportunity to bust out your copy of Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and listen to the commentary with Black, Downey and Kilmer.
    Averylistensig_zpsbaf5e2c6.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    Marvel Heroes, just unlocked me a Rocket Raccoon.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 Registered User regular
    I speak as someone who has read no comics of Iron Man, but did read the appropriate Wikipedia entries.
    What they did with The Mandarin being a fake was god damn brilliant. What else was it going to be? We were going to have an elderly Ben Kingsley fight Iron Man with the assistance of alien spaceships and power rings? I loved it.
    I am in the business of saving lives.

camo_sig2.png
    I have to admit after I typed that out my first thought was, "Huh, that would have been bad ass."

camo_sig2.png
    Did anyone figure out,
    What was up with the Mandarin's Avenger Neck Tattoo?

camo_sig2.png
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    The only legitimate complaint I have seen is
    that Killian is a white guy instead of The Mandarin's traditional Chinese descent, which is kinda fair.

But even then a lot of Mandarin's appearances have been...pretty racially insensitive and even Fraction's take is basically a Kim Jong Il stereotype, even if it is an entertaining one.

The Mandarin we got is so unique from the traditional one that i dont consider it whitewashing, although I can see why and dont consider it unreasonable some would.
  • AtomicTofuAtomicTofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did anyone figure out,
    Trevor's obviously a fan!
    AtomicTofu on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did anyone figure out,
    Trevor's obviously a fan!
    Which makes sense!

I loved that everyone in the Marvel universe was tripping balls over what had happened in Avengers. Makes it really feel like things happen in-universe even when we aren't watching.
    Pokemon Black FC: 0518-7386-3511
    Pokemon Black 2: 0519-5108-3139
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    The vast, vast, majority of people who enjoyed this movie do not give a shit about the comics, and I think it's better that way.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh yeah, what I find hilarious is that
    People, including me, were smugly going
    "Heh, Kingsley is playing a middle eastern terrorist? And he's not even doing a good eastern accent for it? Heh. Sounds like just a generic menacing voice to me."

And them boom, bombshell. He's an actor.

And there were no actual terrorist attacks, just mishaps that Guy Pearce wanted to coverup and use as an excuse to get more business.

Like that is some subtle genius there. He didn't actually attack anyone, he was just turning a disadvantage into an advantage, a loss into a profit.

Up until the attack on Tony's house, it was a pretty passive plan.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    As awesome as all of the action scenes were, my favorite was
    Stark with one gauntlet and one boot and a machine gun just cleaning house.

It managed to be more awesome than a full suit.

Oh totally the best scene.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    I think the tattoo is the shield with an anarchy A in in the middle.
    daft1sig.gif
    that Killian is a white guy instead of The Mandarin's traditional Chinese descent, which is kinda fair.

But even then a lot of Mandarin's appearances have been...pretty racially insensitive and even Fraction's take is basically a Kim Jong Il stereotype, even if it is an entertaining one.

The Mandarin we got is so unique from the traditional one that i dont consider it whitewashing, although I can see why and dont consider it unreasonable some would.

Uh,
    Lack of AIM mooks in beekeeper suits is totally a valid complaint.
    Those people are already weird enough.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular

Uh,
    Well I meant complaints about
    The Mandarin specifically

And eh I think the henchmen we got worked perfectly
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Interesting (spoilery) article on how Iron Man 3 shows JJ Abrams how to do the mystery box.

I agree with this guy, but tracking seems like it's wildly inaccurate

Avatar had incredibly low tracking numbers, and, well

Yeah
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights fuck tough be coolRegistered User regular
    Fucking movie theaters man
    qZBj2IN.png
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular

Uh,
    Those people are already weird enough.
    Could have had dudes in the beekeeper outfits as heat protection while trying to prevent Extremis dudes from blowing up
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • WheatBun01WheatBun01 Registered User regular
    Action Scene Question:
    Did Tony actually mow down anyone with that Uzi? Or did he just knock people unconscious in different ways using his glove and boot? Also, the Iron Man armors seemed weirdly ineffective compared to the first two movies.
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    Action Scene Question:
    Did Tony actually mow down anyone with that Uzi? Or did he just knock people unconscious in different ways using his glove and boot? Also, the Iron Man armors seemed weirdly ineffective compared to the first two movies.
    No he totally killed dudes. The repulsor aint a non lethal weapon. Tony has no qualms about killing guys.

And I think they were less effective largely due to Extremis being super dangerous and Tony mass producing them.
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    Action Scene Question:

Re: the second one, they were.

Law of conservation of ninjutsu
    Because they were all rushed prototypes, and because he'd been off his game and fighting with insomnia, they're quality level was somewhere between the Mk I and II armors.
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Action Scene Question:
    I think Tony got a gun kill or two there, he didn't seem shy about murdering the Extremis chaps, either.

The suits were weaker because they were prototypes that weren't fully armed. Most of them just had the repulsors, and the Unibeams only got fired once. Tony was so busy making a ton of suits that they just didn't have the same craftsmanship as the ones we saw in IM2 and Avengers.

Also bear in mind that the Extremis guys were craaaaazy powerful. God damn they are scary.
    So Iron Man 3 is set to have a total gross of 620 million so far and the second largest opening weekend ever.

The first is The Avengers.

Marvel Studios is killing it.

I want this to be something that never ends

Thor 2 is gonna be the one to watch. Iron Man was a blockbuster franchise even before Avengers but if Marvel is able to turn all of the Avengers buzz to Thor and it is a smash hit(moreso than the original which was successful but not wildly so) then the sky is the limit.
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    So Iron Man 3 is set to have a total gross of 620 million so far and the second largest opening weekend ever.

The first is The Avengers.

Marvel Studios is killing it.

I want this to be something that never ends

Thor 2 is gonna be the one to watch. Iron Man was a blockbuster franchise even before Avengers but if Marvel is able to turn all of the Avengers buzz to Thor and it is a smash hit(moreso than the original which was successful but not wildly so) then the sky is the limit.

More so than the character of Thor, I think making Loki the villain in The Avengers was a smart move for drumming up interest in that particular brand
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
    edited May 2013
    Putting it out in November is also a smart move. This Summer is pretty dang crowded as is and throwing out a huge fantasy superhero blockbuster should provide a nice alternative to the usual awards season films that populate that time of the year.
    Blankzilla on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    Oh man I had noooo clue Thor 2 was coming out in November until now. I've seen the trailer probably 4 times now and I just glazed over the dates everytime hahahaha.
  • TurambarTurambar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    From what I can tell people freakin love the Thor character from the movies

With the strong connections to Avengers and with having its trailer already in front of IM3 I'm sure it'll have an amazing opening weekend at least
    Then it's up to the quality of the movie itself how well it continues to gross
    Turambar on
    avengers_sig.png
    Origin: Turamb | Steam: Turambar | last.fm
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    I am gobsmacked at how successfully Thor was translated to screen, and how well they communicated that "nothing will ever be the same again" after Avengers in Iron Man without having it be the central focus of IM3. I'm just really bowled over with how well they are doing pretty much everything in the arena of film.