Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Quoth wrote: »
    But guys

Was Splinter a rat or a human originally

In the comics rat.
    In The first show human
    The comics after that sorta go back and forth
    In The movies and spin off show he was a rat
    In The second cartoon he was a rat
    In The newest show hes a human
    In the current comics hes a reincarnation of hamato yoshi
    King Riptor on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I was joking because like four people corrected me in a row

But I appreciate the full rundown because that is a lot of back and forth, yeesh
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    The best turtles movie is Turtles Forever
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
    I was joking because like four people corrected me in a row

But I appreciate the full rundown because that is a lot of back and forth, yeesh

Its a question that gets asked a lot.
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    My first introduction was obviously the show, so that is my canon

And I just like it better

So there
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
    Well ots an established multiverse so all shows are canon
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    My first introduction was obviously the show, so that is my canon

And I just like it better

So there

I also just really like the simplicity of: "the ooze turns you into a hybrid of whatever you just touched."

It's just a neat, clean narrative mechanic.
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    I would really like people to stop casting Megan Fox in movies.

There are plenty of pretty girls out there who are also actually good at acting.

EDIT: Though, to be fair to Megan, the root of the problem is that we are still being subjected to female "main characters" who are only put in the script to attract the male gaze.

I'd really like people to stop letting Michael Bay direct movies.

Well he's not directing this one

True. But he's still directing movies. He needs to stop that.

I'm not ashamed to admit I LOVED Pain and Gain.
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    the 1990 TMNT movie is still super great

i've probably watched it a good ten times as a twenty-something

it's just a good ass movie, through and through
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    TMNT 2003 was my introduction to the franchise, that cartoon was great. If I keep saying that I will eventually forget the live-action show.
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Speaking of childhood shows, I just finished up watching season 3 of Reboot.

This shot got fucking dark

Yes.... Yeeeeeeeeesssssssss!
    Re: "Season 4"
    Flat, 2 dimensional garbage, though My Two Bob's does have a few good moments.

Also, The first TMNT film was, and still is, a good movie. Hits all the right notes.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    I still love Secret of the Ooze, I watched it not too long ago

it is so dang goofy and has so many great, dumb lines

chief among them, obviously, being shredder's "babies" line, which is just unfiltered cool
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    also donatello's "perestroika/frere jacques" non sequitur
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Three was bad sure. But secret of the ooze was simply bad-ass

Nah, the sequels were both pretty bad.

All of the elements that make the 1990 still hold up as a fun, well-executed movie are basically gone in both of the sequels.

I don't mean to say that the first film isn't dumb in the sense that it's about four mutant turtles and a mutant rat who are being hunted by a gang led by a walking can opener. But it was at least serious enough to draw me in even after all these years and the execution of camera angles and atmosphere and characterization is still pretty solid all things considered.

Essentially, it was a really good execution of a really dumb idea. The sequels were just dumb all around.
    Goatmon on
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    I miss Fringe.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Marvel, being the geniuses they are, have made their 99 cent weekend comics sale Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange: The Oath and The Irredeemable Ant-Man.

At the very least pick up The Oath because it is one of the best Strange stories ever and will cost you 5 bucks.
    Blankzilla on
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Speaking of childhood shows, I just finished up watching season 3 of Reboot.

This shot got fucking dark

I Wish it had gotten to wrap up. What ever happened to that revival project from a few years back? Wernt
    they going to make a new show?
    Anyway, season three had the best ending with that opera.
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Marvel, being the geniuses they are, have made their 99 cent weekend comics sale Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange: The Oath and The Irredeemable Ant-Man.

At the very least pick up The Oath because it is one of the best Strange stories ever and will cost you 5 bucks.

seriously, people

Brian K. Vaughn writing, Marcos Martin drawing

this is a no-brainer
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

seriously, people

Brian K. Vaughn writing, Marcos Martin drawing

this is a no-brainer

Literally five minutes you posted this, I bought all of GotG and Dr. Strange: The Oath.

Thanks for the heads-up.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    BKV doing Strange?

Sign me up
    daft2.gif
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    also BKV + MM: The Private Eye

in case anybody wasn't already reading that too
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I would really like people to stop casting Megan Fox in movies.

There are plenty of pretty girls out there who are also actually good at acting.

EDIT: Though, to be fair to Megan, the root of the problem is that we are still being subjected to female "main characters" who are only put in the script to attract the male gaze.

I'd really like people to stop letting Michael Bay direct movies.

Well he's not directing this one

Oh? Is it possible there's a glimmer of hope?

It's being directed by someone named Jonathan Liebesman, let's just take a look at what he's done-oh

Oh
    2003 - Darkness Falls
    2006 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning
    2011 - Battle: Los Angeles
    2012 - Wrath of the Titans

I think I would rather actually have Bay direct
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Also as much as I love the 1990 film, I really hate the rat kung fu thing

I don't care if it was that way in the original comics, it's dumb

The way Splinter and the Turtles are handled in the new comic series is pretty aces
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    really dont like the new cartoon, and im kinda eh on the comic
    the new action figures look dope

grew up on the 80s cartoon thanks to video rentals but nostalgia hasnt blinded me to the fact that it isnt great

the 2003 series is basically flawless until Fast Forward

also havent seen any of the movies
    15Tpj.jpeg
    The first TMNT film does still hold up really well

Casey Jones is so great

I think I might actually like the 2007 CG film better though
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    i will forgive any and every thing for a live action tmnt movie to feature one or both of these things:

the rat king
    kraang
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    actually my caveat for kraang is to also have his ridiculous human body from the eighties cartoon
    I want the Chief of Police to yell at Megan Fox, "Are you trying to tell me HOW TO DO MY JOB?!"

All other slights will be forgiven

I don't know why that sticks with me so much
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    I watched The Avengers again today, and as much I loved IM3, I still think the helicarrier reveal is still my favorite MCU moment.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    More IM3 musings
    People were bringing up Killian's holo-brain not showing signs of Extremis as a continuity issue. Considering how smart Killian is, I can see the hologram being modified to not show Extremis in his system because "I have super soldier serum in me" would likely freak Pepper out and she might alert security.
    IM3 comes close but both of my favourite moments were in Avengers

Action
    Repulsor off of shield

Character
    Black Widow tricking Loki
    edited May 2013
    Mine is the big action scene where it transitioned between each member of the team.

It was the most pure "holy shit they made a comic book come to life" moment ever.

Yes, this, but not just for the action it's showing, but what it represents

In a relatively short time, since 2000 with the first X-Men, we've gotten this far

It wasn't so much look at all this shit happening on-screen, it was more "I can't believe what I'm seeing on screen"

For me, the mere idea of all this happening and working is almost more entertaining than the films themselves
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    it is god damn insane that avengers not only worked but worked well enough to make one and a half billion dollars
    personaqn.png
    Mine is the big action scene where it transitioned between each member of the team.

It was the most pure "holy shit they made a comic book come to life" moment ever.

That's also amazing. But that whole sequence is amazing in a pressing me into my seat back with imaginary g-forces with a shit-eating grin on my face kind of way, where as the helicarrier is me jumping up and hollering because holy fuck it's the goddamned helicarrier
    I did notice though in the opening sequence, when Loki & crew are walking out of the tesseract chamber, Loki sort of stumbles and leans over and the random SHIELD guy that he brainwashed puts his hand on Loki's back. Did Tom have back problems and they just went with that cut or was he supposed to be tired from the opening fight?
    edited May 2013
    -Tal wrote: »
    it is god damn insane that avengers not only worked but worked well enough to make one and a half billion dollars

And the best part is they keep being good!

I mean, there were missteps along the way - Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, etc. (fuck you I like Daredevil) - but when was the last time we had a bad superhero film? Fantastic Four 2, maybe? A full six years ago?

EDIT: Four years ago, I kinda forgot Origins: Wolverine existed
    UnbreakableVow on
    wRbeRNg.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Just watched Iron Man 3 for the second time (this time with my parents), and I had the Half-In-The-Bag review mind as I was watching.

Even though HitB ended up enjoying it, I did have a major disagreement with one of their criticisms.
    They rag on the final action scene as being symptomatic of Hollywood's perceived need to one-up itself. Is that actually why it was in there? Maybe. But I don't agree that it hurt the movie at all. In fact, I'd say that was probably a better way of doing the ending rather than their desire to have a small-scale action scene. Small-scale was pretty much the rest of the film. Just Tony and one suit (or sometimes none) against a handful of enemies. The first hour-and-a-half is Tony getting kicked into a pit and having to desperately crawl back out again. The ending is big and crazy and flashy not just because it's cool. It also serves as catharsis. Tony overcame those obstacles and finally has the advantage. While I can certainly understand their cynicism in regard to huge action scenes, I really don't think this particular movie deserves that criticism.

They also claimed that Operation House Party is a "plot hole," because if Tony had all those suits ready to go then why didn't he just call them immediately? This time through, I specifically looked for an explanation for that and--sure enough--when Tony's on the speedboat with Rhodey he asks Jarvis about the progress on his house, and Jarvis tells him the cranes have just arrived. He didn't call the suits immediately, because they were buried and couldn't get out. So yeah. No plot hole there.

I'm pretty amazed by how many people missed that and others.

I think its weird that we seem to be both a culture that obsesses over looking for plot holes but also doesn't seem to pay much attention. If a movie only tells you something once or spells something out without actually telling you half the people seem to completely miss it.

Whats worse is that a lot of the people missing this stuff are reviewers.

God damn it guys watching movies is your job.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"