Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    it is god damn insane that avengers not only worked but worked well enough to make one and a half billion dollars

And the best part is they keep being good!

I mean, there were missteps along the way - Daredevil, Elektra, Fantastic Four, etc. (fuck you I like Daredevil) - but when was the last time we had a bad superhero film? Fantastic Four 2, maybe? A full six years ago?

EDIT: Four years ago, I kinda forgot Origins: Wolverine existed

Green Lantern.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Never did see that one

Is it just disappointing or truly bad?
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Weaver wrote: »
    I did notice though in the opening sequence, when Loki & crew are walking out of the tesseract chamber, Loki sort of stumbles and leans over and the random SHIELD guy that he brainwashed puts his hand on Loki's back. Did Tom have back problems and they just went with that cut or was he supposed to be tired from the opening fight?

looks a little too deliberate to be Tom's problem, I guess the use of the glow stick of destiny is supposed to tire him out?
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    It is terrible

Remarkably so.
    detail-1.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Like the only good thing I can say about Green Lantern is it acknowledged that domino masks don't really work as identity protection in live action.

The only thing.
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just felt that
    The last action sequence lacked focus and was too long.

If it had just been "House Party!" then the fight with the Mandarin while things exploded in the background and was ten minutes shorter, that might have worked.

But it kept cutting to the Robots getting blown up and fighting Extremis soldiers. After the fifth or six shot I was thinking "Yeah, I get it."

It just felt like they were re-hashing/one-upping the drone fight in Iron-Man 2, which suffered similar problems. At least we got a proper fight from the villain this time, though he did suddenly go to chopping through every armor like it was cheese.

That and the action in the big finale was kinda hard to follow at times, basically just when the drones were zipping around.

Basically any and all of my complaints stem from that last 20 minutes.
    "Advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice."
    "Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process."
    Imagine all of my posts being spoken by Alec Baldwin
    GamerTag: MunkusBeaver ||||| Steam: munkus
    Things worth noting about the Green Lantern movie.

The effects are awful. The costume doesn't work in the least, the hard light looks silly, and anything at Oa may as well be a cartoon.

The movie introduces and then abandons characters with no logic whatsoever.

The Villains are terrible. One is a petty science professor and the other is a yellow cloud.

I think the Green Lantern might accidentally kill a guy and then run off to Oa to avoid dealing with is.

Everybody sucks at acting. Even the guys who are normally alright are terrible in this.

Amanda Waller is in this and she is skinny.
    detail-1.jpg
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Green lanturn sucks because he didn't do SHIT for like1/2 the movie.

Oh hey I got the alien artifact it's cool i guess.
    PartyPat.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Jesus, I know RDJ got a lot more, but the rest of the cast only got $200K? That's insane
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    Jesus, I know RDJ got a lot more, but the rest of the cast only got $200K? That's insane

Each was paid differently with the lowest being 200k. I think that was either Scarjo or Hemsworth.
    detail-1.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Uh.. aside from RDJ, aren't the rest of the actors already signed to whatever movies Marvel wants them in? Hemsworth and Evans signed six picture deals, Ruffalo signed a five picture deal, Nick Fury is still half-way through his big 9 picture deal. I imagine they can terminate the contract, but not without severe consequences.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    That's what the articles were saying earlier, I don't know why people were assuming RDJ was being a dick.
    edited May 2013
    Uh.. aside from RDJ, aren't the rest of the actors already signed to whatever movies Marvel wants them in? Hemsworth and Evans signed six picture deals, Ruffalo signed a five picture deal, Nick Fury is still half-way through his big 9 picture deal. I imagine they can terminate the contract, but not without severe consequences.

that's why RDJ is apparently using himself as leverage to re-negotiate the others
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png
    But yeah, Hemsworth got like 200-500k, and in Thor 2 he got a 500k raise with another 500k if the movie breaks 500 Million.

Which is, of course, a lot of money, sure. But considering he got paid 5 Million to be in the much less high profile than Avengers 2 or Thor 2 Snow White and the Huntsman Marvel is being super stingy.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Oh wait, I misread that part. I thought it said "the actors won't sign.."

Good on him in that case.
    I didn't even know RDJ's Avengers 1 was at that figure

I assumed the biggest take-home was still Jack Nicholson's Joker

'Cause he was smart as hell and took a large slice of merchandising profits
    wRbeRNg.jpg

Downey played it similarly and got a slice of the box office instead of just a flat wage.

When RDJ signed his initial contract he got a share of the gross.
    detail-1.jpg
    'course, getting more money for his fellow actors is one thing, but what about the all the other people who work on these films? Is he pushing for more money for camera men and grips and makeup artists and VFX artists and the like?
    But yeah, Hemsworth got like 200-500k, and in Thor 2 he got a 500k raise with another 500k if the movie breaks 500 Million.

Which is, of course, a lot of money, sure. But considering he got paid 5 Million to be in the much less high profile than Avengers 2 or Thor 2 Snow White and the Huntsman Marvel is being super stingy.

Didn't Snow White come out after Thor?

Part of the reason why you pen multi-year deals is A: to give the actor some idea of what they make so they don't starve and B: get the rate of the actor at 'fresh young face' for years to come instead of dealing with your overnight A-lister.
    'course, getting more money for his fellow actors is one thing, but what about the all the other people who work on these films? Is he pushing for more money for camera men and grips and makeup artists and VFX artists and the like?
    I'm assuming they got paid either standard or more for their position in the industry.

The dude isn't going on a social crusade for wage reform, he is helping out his friends who are being paid far less than any other studio would be paying them for how huge the franchises are.

Didn't Snow White come out after Thor?

Part of the reason why you pen multi-year deals is A: to give the actor some idea of what they make so they don't starve and B: get the rate of the actor at 'fresh young face' for years to come instead of dealing with your overnight A-lister.
    Yeah, it came out last year.

And I understand that Marvel is making smart business decisions, wage wise, but they should not be surprised that the cast is upset with the contracts they signed years before Avengers became pretty much the largest film franchise around.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    aside from johanssen the cast wasn't all that well known, so it isn't all that surprising that they might have taken the roles for what in hindsight doesn't seem like much money. The MCU/Avengers stuff has been great, but there've also been enough bad superhero movies that I imagine the individual franchises weren't looked at as locks.

scarjo surprises me though; she'll really play a pretty involved role in a major, major movie for 200k?
    hope? change? busproject.org
    my unofficial autobio will be accompanied with tips on how to smile
    cause I've found that when they don't see you frown, they never know that you're a threat
    and they don't sweat you when you came around
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Seriously, Turtles Forever is the best Turtles movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixMJJzOCoA
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    Well she's never been a headliner. She's always been support.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm sure their unions can do that well enough
    King Riptor on
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    hahaha oh man William Fichtner might be playing Shredder

The Accountant?!
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
    TMNT 2003 was my introduction to the franchise, that cartoon was great. If I keep saying that I will eventually forget the live-action show.

Look, as bad as that show was

One of the bad guys was a mobster gorilla, complete with pinstripe suit.

For that, I'll tolerate its existence.
    edited May 2013
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Seriously, Turtles Forever is the best Turtles movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YixMJJzOCoA

Turtles Forever is seriously the best thing.

Like, it has no RIGHT being as funny as it is.

I should mention that I never really got that into the 2003 series. Loads of people shower it with praise, but it mostly bored the hell out of me. Mainly because I put a lot of value in the voice acting, and the cast on that show was really small and so many of the character voices just sounded very stale and boring, which kinda killed it for me. It also wasn't particularly funny, and kinda played things really straight for the most part, which never really felt right to me.

But Turtles Forever balanced it out pretty perfectly by throwing in the classic turtles. The way everything they did clashed with modern storytelling was perfect.

Also this scene

It will be in my heart forever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_EmG7NOXgc
    Goatmon on
    And keep in mind that it isn't really "Marvel" who is fighting anyone over salary.

That'd be Disney.

Who has a reputation for dicking over actors.
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Registered User regular

Each was paid differently with the lowest being 200k. I think that was either Scarjo or Hemsworth.

i actually think i read somewhere back when IM2 came out Scarjo was getting paid more than most all the other cast, maybe even RDJ. Of course that's before royalties or whatever and just for IM2.
    rotate.jpg
    And keep in mind that it isn't really "Marvel" who is fighting anyone over salary.

That'd be Disney.

Who has a reputation for dicking over actors.

That and Marvel is still headed up by Ike, who is INSANE on his penny pinching.
    rotate.jpg

A lot of those guys are protected by unions for wages

you know...im not entirely sure about actor unions or what their rules are on this. Hmm...
    rotate.jpg
    edited May 2013
    I bet the vfx artists would gladly take Hemsworth's measly 200k salary
    -Tal on
    personaqn.png