Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Iron Man 3] is out now! Man of Steel coming soon.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Antimatter, let me tell you of the young people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgODVbPq78
    daft1sig.gif
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    The movie is decent. First one is better. Just...some dumb stuff in this one.
    Like, Tony's solution to every situation is to jerk his arms around until his armor flies at him. Seriously, that happens at least three or four times in the movie. He's being shot at? Get the armor, he's chained up? Get the armor. C'mon. And then the whole Pepper judo-punching a robot out of the sky and...yeah. Just too silly and over the top for me. My suspension of disbelief could not handle some things.
    Sorry, but Pepper doing kung-fu was fantastic.

Also, are you seriously complaining that one of Tony's common solutions to surviving a dangerous situation is to...become Iron Man? Really?
    Pepper doing kung-fu is completely ridiculous. Have her punch the dude out of the sky and into a wall or something. Something basic, that anybody could do if they were superstrong and quick. Don't have her do an uppercut smackdown pro-wrestling move.

And my problem is the whole movie seemed to be about Tony having his shit destroyed, going back to the beginning and having to start over and his home-made tech scene was great. If his shit is destroyed and he has to live without it, that's great, don't let him use his suit trick to solve every problem. Heck, I wanted to see a home-made suit made from car doors and shit, not prototype 42 over and over again. It's like, they wanted to make him start over but couldn't go all the way.

Avengers is great. We aren't talking about Avengers.

Hey, I didn't say I didn't like the movie, I just like the first Iron Man better.
    cheeseliker.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Like, Tony's solution to every situation is to jerk his arms around until his armor flies at him. Seriously, that happens at least three or four times in the movie. He's being shot at? Get the armor, he's chained up? Get the armor. C'mon. And then the whole Pepper judo-punching a robot out of the sky and...yeah. Just too silly and over the top for me. My suspension of disbelief could not handle some things.

Also, are you seriously complaining that one of Tony's common solutions to surviving a dangerous situation is to...become Iron Man? Really?
    Pepper doing kung-fu is completely ridiculous. Have her punch the dude out of the sky and into a wall or something. Something basic, that anybody could do if they were superstrong and quick. Don't have her do an uppercut smackdown pro-wrestling move.

And my problem is the whole movie seemed to be about Tony having his shit destroyed, going back to the beginning and having to start over and his home-made tech scene was great. If his shit is destroyed and he has to live without it, that's great, don't let him use his suit trick to solve every problem. Heck, I wanted to see a home-made suit made from car doors and shit, not prototype 42 over and over again. It's like, they wanted to make him start over but couldn't go all the way.

Hey, I didn't say I didn't like the movie, I just like the first Iron Man better.

Right but did you also notice the parts where
    every time he summoned the suit it fell apart like 5 minutes later
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Right but did you also notice the parts where
    every time he summoned the suit it fell apart like 5 minutes later

After
    it got him out of the current jam he was in? Yeah.

You guys seem like I hate the movie. I don't. RDJ was fantastic. The humor was great, action scenes great. The whole Mandarin twist was great. Just...I don't know. Maybe it's not the movie, maybe it's me.

Maybe I will like it more the second time I watch it. I enjoyed it. I just don't think it was better than Iron Man 1 or The Avengers. Felt sloppier. Don't feel like arguing about it more though, especially since I've only seen it once. One-time viewing isn't really enough to make me want to argue about it.
    Cheeseliker on
    cheeseliker.png
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    Also, Community has 3 pretty rad young people.

So
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular

We're not claiming that you hate it.

We are arguing that your criticisms might be off-base.
    Okay, so let's go down the list of times he uses 42.

1. At the very start, when his home is attacked.
    2. Getting free after being captured by Killian.
    3. His attempt to rescue the president
    4. The final battle

Again, the first instance takes place right at the start of the movie. There is a significant chunk of time between #1 and #2, which is entirely taken up by "his shit getting destroyed and having to live without it." And even when he finally gets to #2, he only uses the bare minimum amount of armor until after the action scene is done.

#3 is the first time since #1 that the suit is actually fully functional.

And in #4, he uses the suit in a completely different fashion from any of the previous uses.

So...I guess I'm not really seeing how letting Tony use 42 the way he does in the film is a copout.
    yoshis_story_sig_zps69d2a63e.gif
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Also, Community has 3 pretty rad young people.

So

Danny Pudi is thirty four.

Allison Brie and Donald Glover are "only" 30 and 29 respectively, but that's still not capital Y young people.

(On the other hand, Brie Larson was only nineteen when she appeared in Scott Pilgrim versus the World, forever justifying the existence of young people, and even teenagers.)

2MyOx.png
  • ZonugalZonugal One girl... I drove through three states wearing her head as a hat.Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones is showing the world a whole slew of great, young actors.
    garland_greene_sig.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Maybe she even works out with Tony.

:winky:
    daft1sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    b-but she's a woman!! why can she do things besides things that anyone could do!!
    personaqn.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    The two leads from Moonrise Kingdom

Chloe Grace Moretz

Hell, the kid from Iron Man 3!

Plenty of pretty good young actors out there
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla We were the best, Richard No matter what they sayRegistered User regular
    No Vow, all young characters and actors are terrible just because they are young
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    No Vow, all young characters and actors are terrible just because they are young

correct
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Curses!

I thought I had something going there
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Antimatter, let me tell you of the young people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAgODVbPq78

I went into a Stargate: Universe thread and basically said, "Hey I've never seen this show," then posted that video and added, "...that about sum it up?" and everybody agreed and I was very sad.
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
    The two leads from Moonrise Kingdom

Chloe Grace Moretz

Hell, the kid from Iron Man 3!

Plenty of pretty good young actors out there

Kiernan Shipka, man.

She's like someone shrunk down Daniel Day Lewis.
    2MyOx.png
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Registered User regular
    Man Stargate Universe wasnt that bad, i greatly enjoyed it.
  • TonkkaTonkka Impossible! They were doomed!Registered User regular
    Saw IM3 last night.

Awesome.
    tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio!HEY SATAN!
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    did you know that Ming Na was Chun-Li in the 1994 Street Fighter movie starring Jean Claude Van Damme

in my mind she plays exactly the same character on SHIELD
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    BM3N38U.png

At least Ming Na Wen breaks up the whiteness. And maybe the girl on the left side.

Here's hoping Ming Na gets a lot to do. She was wasted in SGU, but so was Carlyle and he ended up on another ABC show: Once Upon a Time.

The girl on the left is Chloe Bennet, and she's half-Chinese.

My wife used to work with her mom, a doctor in Chicago who has been organizing charity clinics in the Dominican Republic and Haiti for years. The last time my wife was able to make one of those trips Chloe was there as well helping out. I'm told she was very nice, and my wife's been thrilled by her acting success in recent years.
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Not every show can have a racially/ethnically diverse ensemble cast.
    community2.jpg

No latinos or homosexuals. FAIL!

And Senor Chang doesn't as a latino, nice try!
    <3<3<3 Community
    Undead Scottsman on
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • Crimson KingCrimson King the freedom of birds is an insult to me i'd have them all in zoosRegistered User regular
    Not every show can have a racially/ethnically diverse ensemble cast.
    community2.jpg

No latinos or homosexuals. FAIL!

And Senor Chang doesn't as a latino, nice try!
    <3<3<3 Community

i was going to cite the dean but he's only gay in the same way abed is autistic

accurate as far as it goes but doesn't really even begin to cover it
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I would say that Iron Man 3 is more comic booky than the last two films. You can apply even less real world logic to this movie than the last two.

Although, it was weird how
    Killian forgot that he could breathe fire when he fought Tony.
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Its okay Gatsby, they have specifically said that it is not a prequel and does not take place pre Avengers

Wait, then how is he alive?
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Its okay Gatsby, they have specifically said that it is not a prequel and does not take place pre Avengers

That would be telling. We want information.
    2MyOx.png
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

i feel like john drake would become a man of fragments quicker than coulson
    15Tpj.jpeg
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular

I asked this same question in D&D and got the "Wizard did it" response.

So, Dr. Strange.
    newSig.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Last night I had a dream about you In this dream I'm dancing right beside youRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

i feel like john drake would become a man of fragments quicker than coulson

Coulson would just have that same serene smile on his face as he sips on ice tea by the shore of the Village, not cracking a single bit.
    daft2.gif
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    I don't care how tall Coulson is, I just care if he can dunk

if the basket is a criminal's face and the ball is a pack of donuts then yes

So he's feeding donuts to criminals?

I thought I could trust him.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • WeaverWeaver Cap'n NEW CRUNCH CITYRegistered User regular
    Sometime when I'm more awake I might try to catalog all of the story arcs I noticed referenced in IM3.
    ProfessionalandCommander.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    You know, even though it's a really shitty story, I'm surprised my copy of the Essential Ms. Marvel doesn't include Avengers #200. It includes Avengers Annual #10, which discusses the events of 200 (and basically rips the story a new asshole) but I was kinda confused until I read a wiki article.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • KroenenKroenen Registered User regular

Fury wanted him to fake dead so the Avengers would have their rallying point. So...
    He was holding his breath. Seriously.

http://www.slashfilm.com/want-to-know-how-agent-coulson-comes-back-in-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/
    In the pilot, it’s revealed Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), the ultimate super spy, faked Agent Coulson’s death on purpose to motivate The Avengers. Some S.H.I.E.L.D. members were in on it (including, possibly, Maria Hill played by Cobie Smulders) but The Avengers were not. Their security clearance wasn’t high enough. Coulson was forced to hold his breath as part of the ruse and that’s a point of contention among his colleagues After the fact, Fury moved him to a remote location until things died down, and then he was reinserted into duty at the time of the show.

Then again, could change when then show starts, but its the word so far.

Hopefully they make a slightly better reason, but I guess it works?
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I would probably say that any information at this point can't really be trusted
    Kroenen wrote: »

Fury wanted him to fake dead so the Avengers would have their rallying point. So...
    He was holding his breath. Seriously.

http://www.slashfilm.com/want-to-know-how-agent-coulson-comes-back-in-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d/
    In the pilot, it’s revealed Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson), the ultimate super spy, faked Agent Coulson’s death on purpose to motivate The Avengers. Some S.H.I.E.L.D. members were in on it (including, possibly, Maria Hill played by Cobie Smulders) but The Avengers were not. Their security clearance wasn’t high enough. Coulson was forced to hold his breath as part of the ruse and that’s a point of contention among his colleagues After the fact, Fury moved him to a remote location until things died down, and then he was reinserted into duty at the time of the show.

Then again, could change when then show starts, but its the word so far.

Hopefully they make a slightly better reason, but I guess it works?
    Interview with Clark Gregg suggested it was something more interesting.

He said the reason why was part of why he came back, despite a great death scene. Somehow, thinking "held his breath" might be something in the way of a cover story.
    2MyOx.png
    Sea turtles, mate.
    daft1sig.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Truth is elusive It's nowhere to be foundRegistered User regular
    coulson in the avengers
    note that you don't actually see him die

he passes out but then medics get there 5 seconds later, leaving room to revive him

the confirmation of death comes from Nick Fury saying he's dead over the radio
    personaqn.png