Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• ThomamelasThomamelas Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think google glass looks horrid.

also, gimme my goddamn illusive man lenses already what's the goddamn holdup.

laser eye surgery

Hmm...Shadowrun.
    There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    once nerve interfaces become non-terrible, I can guess quite a lot of people are going to want to dispense with large parts of their fleshy selves
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    is there a service to have classy ladies wash your car

like, they're wearing classy black dresses and are smoking cigarettes with a holder
    xlh6c3.png
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I think that tumblr is dumb.

Most people look dumb when someone takes a picture of them, and especially when they take pictures of themselves. The google glasses (or wait, it's singular? google glass? whatever) have almost nothing to do with the people looking stupid in those photographs, they're bad pictures regardless.

Frankly I don't think the device itself looks that bad.

It looks like an accessory out of a mad for TV scifi movie. You could play it up for retro fashion like fingerless gloves or something but at the end of the day, it looks stupid. And it implies that you need a screen in front of your face 24/7. It's like walking around with a feedbag on. No matter how enjoyable or convenient, it implies a certain lack of self control.

Really? I dunno, I guess I don't get the last part. Does anybody doubt that this is the future? Or rather, doesn't everybody want the equivalent of google glass but without the stupid looking accessory? Why does wearing it now imply a lack of self control, when presumably everybody is going to want it if/when it becomes contact lenses, i.e. less noticeable?
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

the day i fail to eyeroll at jezebel content

is the day my eye muscles are paralyzed

jezebel handwringing is fucking hilarious will

The comments are fantastits
    "Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"

you really can't believe that crossfit dudes acted like macho dicks?

I can quite easily believe a gym class essentially called "Tough Tits" told her "tough tits."

Jezebel Writer: I am offended by the name of your class. Pls Chang
    Class Instructor: No thx
    JW: BUT UR MISOGINISM! I ws thinking bout joining your gym
    Gym Owner: Go away

I'm outraged!

Nobody cares.

I'm outraged nobody cares!
    h1DI1.jpg
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Man I would wear a Google glass monocle

That would be DOPE
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

"Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"

I can quite easily believe a gym class essentially called "Tough Tits" told her "tough tits."

Jezebel Writer: I am offended by the name of your class. Pls Chang
    Class Instructor: No thx
    JW: BUT UR MISOGINISM! I ws thinking bout joining your gym
    Gym Owner: Go away

I mean, everyone comes off looking bad, but the article itself is 100% par for the course in terms of the alarmist, low-brow chauvinism trolling that gets Jezebel its pageviews.
    network_sig2.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    Google Glass is ok, but I am really looking forward to when Google starts building little spiders with cameras that constantly climb all over my body, filming everything at different angles for some reason, then whispering into my ear anything important that they've observed
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    $80 is a ripoff to clean a car.

I mean really, legitimately hand wash and clean a car.

And in a bikini too.

I wouldn't do it for less than $250.

Why would I pay you $250 when I could pay a team of high school girls twenty bucks for the same service at basically any random parking lot in the summer?

You're not paying them to wash your car.

Presumably if he wants you to wear a bikini, he's not really paying you to wash his car either.
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
    edited May 2013
    if you have a class named tough tits

if someone complains, it doesn't matter if you think the name was a mistake and agree that it should be changed

you can't not say "tough tits, we're not changing it"
    Abdhyius on
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular

I think SiG is getting a bit old for this kind of gig

283097-sergeant_roger_murtaugh_large.gif
    919UOwT.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

Now for grownup talk...

ohhh god my failure to type "wasn't" ruined my joke!!
    NO.
    The online application for this chain of donut stores has fully twelve pages of 'do you agree with this statement' questions wtfffffff
    network_sig2.png
    wait what happened on 4/19/13

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

And in a bikini too.

Why would I pay you $250 when I could pay a team of high school girls twenty bucks for the same service at basically any random parking lot in the summer?

Presumably if he wants you to wear a bikini, he's not really paying you to wash his car either.

Which is why only getting $80 is a ripoff either way.
    h1DI1.jpg
    I literally cannot believe that the gym's response wasn't "tough tits."

I am sad now. You could have led me live in blissful ignorance, sig, but you didn't. Cruel of you.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote: »
    as far as I'm concerned Google Glass is a prototype for a contact lens that does the same thing. It might not exist for a while, but that's the best outcome for it.

you could probably work it into a browline glasses style that don't look completely retarded

maybe looking retarded is the point

like bluetooth headsets
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular

like, they're wearing classy black dresses and are smoking cigarettes with a holder

Disinterested, one lady holds a running hose limply in one hand, the spray half hitting your front driver's side tire, half hitting the ground while she stares into the distance. The others smoke and talk. After five minutes, one of the ladies realizes you're still there and waves you off.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    i don't know if @RonaldoTheGypsy shared this with chat yet but it's good
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-G8w02ZX1c
    so good
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Man I would wear a Google glass monocle

That would be DOPE
    you can wear it with your fedora and "steampunk" watch
    Elendil on
    Per3th.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    The online application for this chain of donut stores has fully twelve pages of 'do you agree with this statement' questions wtfffffff

Question 132: Does the sight of a sprinkled Boston Creme make you wet? y/n
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    wait what happened on 4/19/13

U 5GOT!
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Google glass is fucking creepy and I hope everyone who wears one in a place where filming would be inappropriate gets the shit kicked out of them.

They won't.

Google glasses is going be great at cutting volume crime.

And in a bikini too.

Which is why only getting $80 is a ripoff either way.

I had a rebuttal to this but I think I am overthinking your joke.

I'm sorry for being "that guy".

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    applecare wont give me the info either

satisfaction with company dropping rapidly
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I think that tumblr is dumb.

Most people look dumb when someone takes a picture of them, and especially when they take pictures of themselves. The google glasses (or wait, it's singular? google glass? whatever) have almost nothing to do with the people looking stupid in those photographs, they're bad pictures regardless.

Frankly I don't think the device itself looks that bad.

It looks like an accessory out of a mad for TV scifi movie. You could play it up for retro fashion like fingerless gloves or something but at the end of the day, it looks stupid. And it implies that you need a screen in front of your face 24/7. It's like walking around with a feedbag on. No matter how enjoyable or convenient, it implies a certain lack of self control.

Really? I dunno, I guess I don't get the last part. Does anybody doubt that this is the future? Or rather, doesn't everybody want the equivalent of google glass but without the stupid looking accessory? Why does wearing it now imply a lack of self control, when presumably everybody is going to want it if/when it becomes contact lenses, i.e. less noticeable?

The whole reason that bluetooth headsets are bad is because the social action of putting down your device or taking out your headset denotes that you're paying attention to what's happening around you.

With Google Glass or a BT headset, there's no way for somebody interacting with you to know if you actually give a shit about what you're saying or if you're actually reading your email or listening to your boss.

If you legitimately have a job that requires you to be standing up and walking around while connected to the Internet, then that's understandable. Maybe you're Agent Coulson.

But most people don't have jobs like that; the BT/Glass wearer is actively choosing to be connected while buying groceries or ordering coffee. There's a dismissiveness to this; it's ostentatiously saying, "my job is way more important than my interactions with the people immediately around me."
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death

Disinterested, one lady holds a running hose limply in one hand, the spray half hitting your front driver's side tire, half hitting the ground while she stares into the distance. The others smoke and talk. After five minutes, one of the ladies realizes you're still there and waves you off.
    hrrrrghn
    Per3th.jpg
    I want more ennui in my car wash.
    xlh6c3.png
    I like to understand other people's feelings.*
    SD D N A SA
    Most people are hard workers.*
    SD D N A SA
    Organizations should be logical.*
    SD D N A SA
    Safe routines bore me.*
    SD D N A SA
    I am always happy.*
    SD D N A SA
    I am able to adapt quickly to a variety of work situations.*
    SD D N A SA
    Coworkers would describe me as someone who likes to work alone.*
    SD D N A SA
    Over the course of the day, I can experience many mood changes.*
    SD D N A SA
    I will spend personal time if necessary to make up for mistakes I have made.*
    SD D N A SA
    If I am given the responsibility for a task, then I should be held accountable for the outcomes.*
    SD D N A SA
    It is important that ideas at work include practical ways to implement them.*
    SD D N A SA
    To motivate people to improve their performance, it is more important to tell them what they did wrong than what they did right.*
    SD D N A SA
    When making a major purchase, I often spend months to learn all the issues.*
    SD D N A SA
    Before I try something new I have to be assured that it is safe.*
    SD D N A SA
    Whether I succeed or fail is ultimately left up to me.*
    SD D N A SA
    Coworkers will always select me to be the leader of the group.*
    SD D N A SA
    I always come up with the best solution to a problem.*
    SD D N A SA
    It is okay to bend the rules in order to do a better job.*
    SD D N A SA
    It is important to follow directions from supervisors even when you disagree with them.*
    SD D N A SA
    One of the reasons I will work hard is because I want to get promoted into higher-level jobs.*
    SD D N A SA
    network_sig2.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    #freesc
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    as far as I'm concerned Google Glass is a prototype for a contact lens that does the same thing. It might not exist for a while, but that's the best outcome for it.

you could probably work it into a browline glasses style that don't look completely retarded

maybe looking retarded is the point

like bluetooth headsets

If they have control over the frames, they'll be able to integrate it a lot more naturally.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    like I meant to make a joke that they should have just said "TOUGH TITS" but it all went horribly wrong
    NO.
    like I meant to make a joke that they should have just said "TOUGH TITS" but it all went horribly wrong
    you could say it went tits up
    Per3th.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod

Now for grownup talk...

ohhh god my failure to type "wasn't" ruined my joke!!

aha!

i thought maybe you had short-circuited or something!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    store wouldnt give me a quote without brining it in

They're going to try to sell you a new imac.
    edited May 2013
    applecare wont give me the info either

satisfaction with company dropping rapidly

From 2011 but

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3035552?start=0&tstart=0
    To follow this up I went into the Apple store and they quoted me £200 to replace it.
    I've seen rates from $150 to $600 USD.

For a 2011 Macbook pro my boss' son got quoted "around $400" just recently to replace a 500 gig drive, but that was from an authorized repair place, not an actual Apple store.
    matt has a problem on
    h1DI1.jpg
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    But I like the idea of wearing it with a top hat and monocle.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular

Donuts are delicious

Strongly agree
    Agree
    Slightly agree
    No opinion
    Slightly disagree
    Disagree
    Strongly disagree

I am not a terrorist

Strongly agree
    Agree..
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    once nerve interfaces become non-terrible, I can guess quite a lot of people are going to want to dispense with large parts of their fleshy selves

I misread this as "nerve stapling", Chairman Yang
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
This discussion has been closed.