Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Apple considers the memory in these models to be a "customer installable part" but the hard drive is not intended to be upgraded by end users. Upgrading the memory is extremely easy -- there is a small removable "door" on the bottom of each system for this purpose -- but upgrading the hard drive requires one to remove the display and effectively disassemble the entire computer.

Take it apart and ebay the parts.

It's less hassle in the long run.

this also sounds horrid
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    I was so unproductive today.

this is shameful.
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Irond Will wrote: »
    so uh

it froze while trying to restore

and now when I go to disk utility it doesnt see the internal hdd at all

do you have applecare?

i hope you have applecare

no this computer is 5 years old

call apple and see what they would need to fix it.

sometimes it is pretty cheap even without applecare

might just be time to get a new computer tho
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »

the day i fail to eyeroll at jezebel content

is the day my eye muscles are paralyzed

jezebel handwringing is fucking hilarious will

The comments are fantastits
    "Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"
    NO.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    oh snap this math class is 6 credits

so by itself it makes me half time, enough for fin aid, and I can take fridays off since I'll hit my hourly cap at work within the available days

Blessed art thou atheismo
    override367 on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

good point
    NO.
    so uh

do you have applecare?

this sucks my wife is supposed to do a skype interview on weds
    so uh

do you have applecare?

this sucks my wife is supposed to do a skype interview on weds

what about doing that on the ipad?
    NO.
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    oh i didnt think of that at all!

skype on ipad
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I assisted a friend with the remove/reset glass part because it's pretty tricky as a one man job.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    repairing a mac

8->
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    so uh

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/ ?
    dkmouthsig.png
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    that's a rather specific kind of fantasy
    I had to take apart an old plastic iMac in work and it was the fucking worst thing

those clips hidden behind the monitor bezel that you need a credit card to open?

fuck that noise
    oh my god, there's going to be a sims 4.

i'm going to die.
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    I did my grad school skype interview on my tablet, skippy, it's p easy.

Only weird thing was getting the right angle. You don't want it looking up at you because it makes you look fat. Your neck flesh is really prominent. Stack up a bunch of books or something and prop it up on that so that the camera is at or above eye level.
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
    so uh

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/ ?

2008 imac :c
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Huh, my facebook chrome tab was somehow maxing out an entire core. The fuck?
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

i'm going to die.

ooh I know!

What is inevitable, Alex?
  • override367override367 Registered User regular

i'm going to die.

only $417 in microtransactions to unlock all the features present with the base sims 3 game
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

lindy west is awesome

she's the only writer they have who isn't terrible
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    I had to take apart an old plastic iMac in work and it was the fucking worst thing

those clips hidden behind the monitor bezel that you need a credit card to open?

fuck that noise

The new ones with the glass front you need to use suction cups to open. Oddly enough, as long as you have suction cups, it's a really easy disassembly. Everything is held on by rare earth magnets instead of screws or clips.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »

jezebel handwringing is fucking hilarious will

The comments are fantastits
    "Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"

you really can't believe that crossfit dudes acted like macho dicks?
    I am seriously going to need a job

then i'm going to have to quit said job to play said game
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    what was the name of the class?
    calling the apple store to see if theyll give me a quote to replace hdd
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

i'm going to die.

don't worry, EA server outages will carefully ration your use

On the plus side they'll accept bitcoin?
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Huh, my facebook chrome tab was somehow maxing out an entire core. The fuck?

It's been doing that to me too lately, but on Opera.

No idea what the fuck they've put into that page now.
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

it still looks obnoxiously large

they should move the camera off to the edge
  • MadpandaMadpanda Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    what was the name of the class?

Timecop Tuesday
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    So there's no way to wear Google Glass and not look like a douchelord.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    calling the apple store to see if theyll give me a quote to replace hdd

$15000
    Lh96QHG.png
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

i'm going to die.

don't worry, EA server outages will carefully ration your use

On the plus side they'll accept bitcoin?

They should have all transactions between the Sims in the game be conducted via bitcoins. That way they don't have to make up a fake currency!
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

google glass is this decade's bluetooth headset
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So there's no way to wear Google Glass and not look like a douchelord.

I'd wear one.
This discussion has been closed.