Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    So I need Math 111 and Math 112 to sign up for computer courses and since math 112 requires math 111 that means 2 semesters of taking nothing but a single math class

I have math 114 but math 114 isn't the prerequisite, even if it is a higher course. The prereqs for 114 are 111, 112, and 113, none of which I have because the equivalents at my old school to those didn't transfer over

this money grubbing bullshit is all higher education is, make people take extra classes for no purpose than to wring dollars out of them

You can almost certainly get an override, that's what those are meant for. Usually it's a pretty simple form, you fill it out, tell them that you already have credit for math 114, some guidance coucilor goes, oh, yup, you definitely do, I'll override you, and you're set.

I had to do that all the time because of my AP credits. Oh hey, it's not letting me take calc 2 because I haven't taken calc 1, fill out an override form and show the person in the math department how it says AP Calc on my degree audit, get put into class.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    how does this promotion thing work in lol

i won the game but nothing happened. is it best of 3 or what

It is best of three
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    bahhhh..... and redx now has boring ass gender normative hair. Decidedly not 2.5 inches or so on top, fit for slight messy curly spikes or a side part which I asked for. Sides way shorter than we talked about.
    DSC01456.jpg

hey look, it's same stupid ass fade I had for half my life. Sane stupid ass hair cut I spent years trying not to have. Yay!

you have by far the saddest eyes i have ever seen on a human being

I just- I can't maintain eye contact. Just glancing at them causes my Existential Ennui to act up.

:P
    network_sig2.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    a placement test is supposed to ivan drago break you

that is the point
    919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    :cry:
    why isnt it 5PM yet??
    I want to go home.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    i totally get it, though

if i didn't think i could get it as an engineer or dev i'd be so aimless

i have so little confidence in the job market in general that i have no fucking idea what hope i'd have, if any

If it's any consolation, the recruiter I talked to today says that the dev market is on fire again here in Austin.

I don't need consolation, I'm fine. I'm saying I'd be hopeless if I thought I couldn't cut it in this field. Like, if one day I decided I couldn't handle CS/software engineering or any of the engineering fields... I'd despair so hard.

i am positive that you'll be fine
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    So I need Math 111 and Math 112 to sign up for computer courses and since math 112 requires math 111 that means 2 semesters of taking nothing but a single math class

I have math 114 but math 114 isn't the prerequisite, even if it is a higher course. The prereqs for 114 are 111, 112, and 113, none of which I have because the equivalents at my old school to those didn't transfer over

this money grubbing bullshit is all higher education is, make people take extra classes for no purpose than to wring dollars out of them

test out of it

just ask the professor to waive requirements

learn to work the system, override, or you are in for a rough four years
    Lh96QHG.png
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    e-mailed my academic advisor

asked him if I take physics and calculus over the summer if that will be sufficient proof I can move up to "introduction to computer science", which is a class I've already taken (basic java, VB, python, various other bullshit) but that, again, didn't transfer over

Edit: AMFE i'd kill myself if I had to deal with four years of this, I need 70 credits to graduate and if I'm going in the summers too that shouldn't take long
    override367 on
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    i totally get it, though

i have so little confidence in the job market in general that i have no fucking idea what hope i'd have, if any

If it's any consolation, the recruiter I talked to today says that the dev market is on fire again here in Austin.

I don't need consolation, I'm fine. I'm saying I'd be hopeless if I thought I couldn't cut it in this field. Like, if one day I decided I couldn't handle CS/software engineering or any of the engineering fields... I'd despair so hard.

This is irresponsible.

He could get hit by a bus tomorrow.
    network_sig2.png
    Deebaser wrote: »
    why isnt it 5PM yet??
    I want to go home.

hey broseph and his technicolor dreambroat

i will be in nyc in june
    919UOwT.png
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I just read a description of a Project Manager job...

here is the first line:
    Responsibilities:

Drafts forms, reports, contracts and general correspondence for the director of sales operations and senior leadership, as needed.

This is not a project manager, this is an executive assistant.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Star Wars 1313. Not DICE obviously but perhaps they saw that and were like, we could do that with our engine and make many monies. EA concurred, rang up LucasArts and Disney, and now we can probably expect Battlefieldfront 3: Gungan Always On DLC Edition.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Gooey wrote: »
    why isnt it 5PM yet??
    I want to go home.

i will be in nyc in june

When?
    I am going to Texas in June.
    STATE SWAP
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    Actually I already have a waiver form for Introduction to Computer Science, but virtually every degree specific class I have to take has that math requirement in addition to the ItCS requirement, although at least I can get going this semester

The waiver form was given to me on the assumption I take math 112 over the summer, but not enough signed up for it and its no longer available

Gonna use this waiver regardless, if I can take that class without the math prereq and get an A in it it kind of shows the requirement is total bullshit anyway
    override367 on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

here is the first line:
    Responsibilities:

Drafts forms, reports, contracts and general correspondence for the director of sales operations and senior leadership, as needed.

Glorified secretary.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    Corehealer wrote: »

here is the first line:
    Responsibilities:

Glorified secretary.

Sure as fuck not Project Management.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    why isnt it 5PM yet??
    I want to go home.

i will be in nyc in june

When?
    STATE SWAP

wtf is this shit

(i am not sure yet)
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i totally get it, though

Oh yeah I have zero concerns in that regard. I've easily handled both of my programming courses, I've passed my math courses despite skipping way too many days. I feel ok about the hard CS classes to come, too.

It's a big relief to me that there's this field I have at least a little bit of an aptitude for and it's lucrative and secure. I just marvel sometimes at how before this it seemed like there was no hope.

Like, if I had to declare a major today that wasn't engineering esque I'd be lost. It sounds fucking terrifying to do anything else, occupationally.
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular
    boop
    NO.
    edited May 2013
    I want CS :(

But running the numbers it's an additional four classes to get that degree, all my economics credits make MIS actually the fastest degree path so whatchagonnado
    override367 on
    why isnt it 5PM yet??
    I want to go home.

i will be in nyc in june

When?
    STATE SWAP

wtf is this shit

(i am not sure yet)

Wife is doing a conference in Austin June 22/23.
    Im planning on going as her travelling kept man.
    Spa it up
    Golf
    and hopefully meet up with the Austin nerds.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    mp2irnJ.jpg
    Lh96QHG.png
    I want to throw up everywhere.
    Why tequila... wwwhhhyyy?
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    "it's pretty happening" will said, his dentures rattling against his wether's originals candies

i remember a day when young ladies were clean and respectful and not obsessed with poop

No, they were still obsessed with poop, they just only discussed it among themselves.

I am now picturing a circle of Southern belles around a table drinking tea one fine summer morning and energetically exclaiming at how Aunt Augusta had just spent half the previous night dropping the mother of all deuces in her chamber-pot, and that it's aroma had been enough to knock out the negro boy in charge of emptying it.

People only think that women were clean and genteel because they weren't party to female conversation.

It is only recently that ladies generally have decided that men have the necessary constitution to handle such topics.
    Does anyone know the penalty for dropping courses with financial aid? I've been told Fedloan gets pissy if you drop classes

But I really want to sign up for this math 221 class while its available, just on the assumption I can convince my university they should waive 111 and 112 if I can get a 3.00 or better in calculus
    "it's pretty happening" will said, his dentures rattling against his wether's originals candies

i remember a day when young ladies were clean and respectful and not obsessed with poop

No, they were still obsessed with poop, they just only discussed it among themselves.

I am now picturing a circle of Southern belles around a table drinking tea one fine summer morning and energetically exclaiming at how Aunt Augusta had just spent half the previous night dropping the mother of all deuces in her chamber-pot, and that it's aroma had been enough to knock out the negro boy in charge of emptying it.

People only think that women were clean and genteel because they weren't party to female conversation.

It is only recently that ladies generally have decided that men have the necessary constitution to handle such topics.

I feel this is a net loss for both sexes.
    Does anyone know the penalty for dropping courses with financial aid? I've been told Fedloan gets pissy if you drop classes

But I really want to sign up for this math 221 class while its available, just on the assumption I can convince my university they should waive 111 and 112 if I can get a 3.00 or better in calculus

To qualify for financial aid you have to maintain full time status.

You can drop courses and the government doesn't care, you just can't drop below full time.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Which is usually 15 credits a semester.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Registered User regular
    Hello folks
  • So It GoesSo It Goes Sip. Sip sip sippy. Dumb whores. Best friends.Registered User regular

looks like I showed up at the right time!
    NO.
    edited May 2013

you only need half time for financial aid and full time is 12 credits, any more than that gets you no additional money (at least for undergrads)

they told me that dropping classes has some vague penalty though

sounds like bs to me though
    override367 on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular

let me tell you about perineal massage

oh wait you have kids you have probably already had this conversation
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    مرحبًا بكم في Gmail! يمكنك تسجيل الدخول إلى حسابك على http://mail.google.com/.

إليك بعض النصائح لمساعدتك على البدء:

يمكن استخدام أدوات استيرادGmail لنقل البريد الإلكتروني وجهات الاتصالمن حسابات البريد الإلكتروني الأخرى إلى عنوان بريدك الإلكتروني الجديد على Gmail.
    يمكن تنزيل تطبيق الجوال لـ Android أو iPhone و iPad للبقاء على اتصال أثناء التنقل.

إذا واجهت مشكلات في حسابك في أي وقت أو نسيت كلمة المرور، فسنتصل بك على هذا العنوان.

استمتع بالأمر!

فريق عمل Gmail

إذا لم تكن قد أنشأت هذا العنوان على Gmail، ولم تتعرف على هذا البريد الإلكتروني، يرجى الانتقال إلى: https://accounts.google.com/AccountDisavow?adt=AOX8kirjfQT2UuXl8W1Axvn2jgKPU6SIgQRim8JkNzGeIVqHpyY لإلغاء ربط هذا الحساب.

Don't suppose any of you can read Arabic?

Welcome to Gmail! You can log on to the account on http://mail.google.com/.

Here are some tips to help you get started:

Import tools can be used to move the Gmail e-mail, Alatsalmn other e-mail accounts to your new email address on Gmail.
    You can download the mobile application for Android, iPhone and iPad to stay connected while on the move.

If you have problems in your account at any time or forget your password, your فسنتصل at this address.

Enjoy your thing!

The Gmail Team

If you have not created this address on Gmail, and did not recognize this email, please go to: https://accounts.google.com/AccountDisavow?adt=AOX8kirjfQT2UuXl8W1Axvn2jgKPU6SIgQRim8JkNzGeIVqHpyY to unlink this account.

anonymoustips@cia.gov

ctrl+c

ctrl+v
    The CIA wrote:
    gooby

for the last time, stop emailing us

gooby pls
    eokNV.jpg
    I want CS :(

But running the numbers it's an additional four classes to get that degree, all my economics credits make MIS actually the fastest degree path so whatchagonnado

MIS/ IT is also a pretty decent market

everywhere i've worked, though, the IT staff is treated a lot worse than the engineering staff

it sucks.
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

when I was in school at a quarter-based school (rather than semester) it was 12 per quarter (edit: I'm dumb).

And at that school all math classes above basic calculus were 3 credits. So math + math + some 5 credit liberal arts filler like history = "Part Time Student"
    RiemannLives on
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

you only need half time for financial aid and full time is 12 credits, any more than that gets you no additional money (at least for undergrads)

they told me that dropping classes has some vague penalty though

sounds like bs to me though

Full time is 12 credits?

I guess that's four courses. Idk, I did 18 a semester usually, because fewer courses didn't lower tuition so I could take more interesting things.
    Lh96QHG.png

let me tell you about perineal massage

oh wait you have kids you have probably already had this conversation

Naturally, all three times.

That is a thing about which I am well versed!
    Hamurabi wrote: »

the day i fail to eyeroll at jezebel content

is the day my eye muscles are paralyzed
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    I want to eat all of the ice cream I have in my fridge right now.

This discussion has been closed.