Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    @_J_ you're really not supposed to be posting that.

Alright, then. Removed.
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    The best part of that article I linked a few pages ago is that, in the spirit of protecting businesses from overbearing government regulation, Florida Republicans have absolutely fucked businesses.

So.

Good show, chaps.

Someone post a fucking kitten or a puppy or something.

BCle1bo.jpg

FUCK THE POLICE
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    dams are one thing where the environmental impact seems to be kind of overstated at times

I mean of course it depends but people are like of course they're bad for the environment too but like no! not when this conversation was about coal power!

the negative environmental impact of dams is making a bigger lake that is not really on the same level

of course unless you're china and like to go a bit crazy with shit like that.

The environmental impact of dams is stopping the replenishing of soil at the mouth of the river and screwing up the biodiversity in the river. Also they magnify problems like fertilizer runoff or acidity issues.

And the floods don't replenish the soil nutrients because they don't happen any more. That's sort of a problem too.

yeah the nile delta dried up after the aswan dam

on the other hand, a whole lot of farms along the nile don't get washed out every year
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    Just add Tube to the PM and don't talk about it.

Ah. Done and done.

Did not see a "report" within the message so didn't know how to go about reporting it. I'm sure Tube enjoys his being included.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Although I did not receive a message, I would suggest ignoring + reporting them (by adding a mod to the conversation), given that many of you have received it!

That is the way to go in what seems like very Lorc-like behaviour.

Also, hi [chat]! Day 1 of me being da boss is complete. For me.

And on the topic of funding the arts, as a culinary artist ... :o

Are you still in Toronto?
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    at least natick has the jordan's furniture imax tho m i rite

I've never been but I hear it's the greatest. I should go see Pacific Rim there.

yes it's the best

honestly

it's so good

nyc doesn't have real proper IMAX and nothing like that... sometimes i wait to see a movie till i go home to massachusetts to visit my family so that i can see some blockbusters at that theater

cuz

it's goooood

| Steam & XBL: Shazkar |
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
    Shit its noonthirty

I need to go talk to the grad school and see if I translated my business card into japanese correctly

TTYL guyz

(read my post about milk flies)
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Gooby walks the fine line between self parody and actually getting us to listen to his opinions

imo

I think it is more that gooby is not very interested in discussing his politics in depth with twenty liberals of varying extremity, each of whom would quote and attack his posts in rapid succession (possibly berating him or personally attacking him) and entirely dominate his chat experience in which he would prefer to, say, post his name, talk about temporal constabularies, or discuss vidya

A position to which I am sympathetic
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Although I did not receive a message, I would suggest ignoring + reporting them (by adding a mod to the conversation), given that many of you have received it!

Nuh-uh. Rural / small-town Ontario now. :D
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    The best part of that article I linked a few pages ago is that, in the spirit of protecting businesses from overbearing government regulation, Florida Republicans have absolutely fucked businesses.

So.

Good show, chaps.

BCle1bo.jpg

FUCK THE ǝɔılod

h1DI1.jpg
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    dams are one thing where the environmental impact seems to be kind of overstated at times

I mean of course it depends but people are like of course they're bad for the environment too but like no! not when this conversation was about coal power!

the negative environmental impact of dams is making a bigger lake that is not really on the same level

China tends to go overboard and not check if things are a good idea ahead of time. It's ok, it happens to a lot of countries.

You can't see but I am gesturing to the land around myself.

yeah i agree. natick has gotten a little out of hand

did they never consider the environmental impacts of nine cheesecake factories in the same square mile!?

THERE IS ONLY ONE YOU JERK. It's right next to a PF Changs and the Macaroni Grill.

(I am moving for real this summer, eyeing Somerville)

somerville is tits. i'll keep an ear out

are you looking to rent or buy? any neighborhoods you have in mind?

I'm looking to rent, way too non-committal right now for buying. Basically I'd like somewhere close to transit but also with parking for my car, since that would be my ride to work still. Obviously I'd like a nice neighborhood close to the city but I don't know enough to really pick out a specific area.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    the police should have a volunteer riot squad

I'd be down for busting commie and fascist heads in an instant
    xlh6c3.png

One time when my cat was a kitten, I was relaxing in the bath and he was wandering around the bathroom. He hopped up on the side, curious about what this contraption was. Some kind of giant water dish! He decided to explore it, naturally.

And the fucker immediately went apeshit, claws everywhere, and scratched the shit out of my in his mad scramble out of the death trap.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    "support the arts" doesn't just mean "pay artists so they don't have to get real jobs"

we are all clear on that point, yes?

No.

Well it should be. Because it simply doesn't mean that, or at least ONLY that outside of Bill O'Reilly's fever dreams.

It also includes things like copyright and fostering programs in schools and museums and festivals and blah blah blah

It isn't just sending a check to a starving artist. In fact it rarely, if ever, is.

Which is why I clarified.

This conversation started when somebody (don't remember who, now) brought up the NEA.

Grants and stuff to artists are no more problematic than grants to <insert group here> and have been a part of what people expect their governments to do forever.

IDK, I get what you're saying I guess.

I just don't agree wif it.

*internet fight*
    Lh96QHG.png

Sorry, can't help you then.
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

So.

Good show, chaps.

ZhKsinql.jpg
    TehSloth on
    temporal peace officers aren't still verboten as a phrase I see but what's the status on it anyway
    xlh6c3.png
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/vendor-pulls-obama-target-from-booth-at-nra?ref=fpb
    At its convention in Houston, over the weekend, the National Rifle Association asked a vendor to take down a mannequin target that looked like President Barack Obama, Buzzfeed reported on Sunday.

The vendor, Zombie Industries, produces "life-sized tactical mannequin" targets that "bleed" when shot. Photographs of the company's booth at the convention taken by Buzzfeed show that the company had several sample mannequins displayed for sale, including a clown, a "terrorist," and a Nazi.

"Someone from the NRA came by and asked us to remove it" a Zombie Industries booth worker told BuzzFeed, referring to the company's "Bleeding Rocky Zombie" target. "They thought it looked too much like President Obama."

Buzzfeed asked the worker if the resemblance was intentional.

"Let's just say I gave my Republican father one for Christmas," the worker replied.

The Rocky mannequins are being sold at Zombie Industries' website for $89.95 each. The product description states that "Rocky is HIGHLY dangerous due to his quick wit and strength… he was last seen screaming something like, 'Zombie Industries believes in America!' And that we do."

"What makes our Zombie’s so special?" the product description page asks. "They’re filled with biodegradable matter, which makes clean up a wee-bit easier…(are you happy, mom?) …and oh yah, let’s not forget, they bleed and burst into little pieces of blood soaked, Zombie matter when you shoot them!"
    There is something deeply disturbing about practicing shooting using an effigy of the president.

Separating out the President Obama part of this -- which is pretty dumb and I feel like that company is relying exactly as heavily on batshit insane right-wingers as it is on the troll reaction from outraged Everyone Else...

How is this actually different from what we do with video-games? Realistic combat -- sometimes even blood spatters -- are an actual selling point for FPS titles and other violent games. What makes us sane and them crazy?

Use of live ammo.

Enders Game twist: far cry 3 was real all along. Thousands of islanders chosen as Vass killed by gamer hands.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    kW5UiC1.png
    Lh96QHG.png
    I've played at war with live ammo

the only difference between that and video games is that video games aren't as fun!
    xlh6c3.png
    Well played, sloth.

Well played.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Gooby walks the fine line between self parody and actually getting us to listen to his opinions

imo

I think it is more that gooby is not very interested in discussing his politics in depth with twenty liberals of varying extremity, each of whom would quote and attack his posts in rapid succession (possibly berating him or personally attacking him) and entirely dominate his chat experience in which he would prefer to, say, post his name, talk about temporal constabularies, or discuss vidya

A position to which I am sympathetic

iisoltmtc
    919UOwT.png
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular

Oh, I don't want your money directly.

I want government grants to support my culinary arts. :o
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular

One time when my cat was a kitten, I was relaxing in the bath and he was wandering around the bathroom. He hopped up on the side, curious about what this contraption was. Some kind of giant water dish! He decided to explore it, naturally.

And the fucker immediately went apeshit, claws everywhere, and scratched the shit out of my in his mad scramble out of the death trap.

I love the room for interpretation on that GIF.

"Oh shit, they're onto me. Hurry up you Waters!"
    network_sig2.png
    if they make a zombie mannequin that bleeds when shot and somebody goes "that kinda looks like the president" and they go shit, let's remove that one then

then I really don't see the problem!
    xlh6c3.png
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular

Relevant.

This is actually why the specials were invented originally.
    They don't let specials do public order level 2 training anymore tho
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    eat the computer puppy

gain its powers
    919UOwT.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

Oh, I don't want your money directly.

I want government grants to support my culinary arts. :o

Bake Harper a pie. Bonus points if you throw it to him and hit his face.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    A Better way to feed the homeless would be by feeding them stray dogs and cats instead. Puppy mills would have a whole new demographic to sell to!
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    I hope the next x0xTopicx0x-punk that comes along is Romanpunk.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • CindersCinders Registered User regular
    Why did I get an arabic email telling me congratulations on opening a new gmail account?
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I hope the next x0xTopicx0x-punk that comes along is Romanpunk.

I thought that already existed...

Except it's called Sandalpunk.

Yep, it does exist, the term was coined.
    21stCentury on
    I don't want to actually be a cop

that involves being the guy who has to deal with all the most unpleasant people at their worst

I just want to brutally subdue a riot is that too much to ask
    xlh6c3.png

China tends to go overboard and not check if things are a good idea ahead of time. It's ok, it happens to a lot of countries.

You can't see but I am gesturing to the land around myself.

yeah i agree. natick has gotten a little out of hand

did they never consider the environmental impacts of nine cheesecake factories in the same square mile!?

THERE IS ONLY ONE YOU JERK. It's right next to a PF Changs and the Macaroni Grill.

(I am moving for real this summer, eyeing Somerville)

somerville is tits. i'll keep an ear out

are you looking to rent or buy? any neighborhoods you have in mind?

I'm looking to rent, way too non-committal right now for buying. Basically I'd like somewhere close to transit but also with parking for my car, since that would be my ride to work still. Obviously I'd like a nice neighborhood close to the city but I don't know enough to really pick out a specific area.

i'd look at union square. it's pretty happening and growing. it's surprisingly affordable right now. it's walking distance to pretty much everywhere you'd want to go to in cambridge or somerville (harvard, porter, inman, davis). good buses. it's very close to 93 (you can take 93 down to the pike).

on the down-side, it's not on the T. closest is probably lechmere or sullivan sq.

inman square is also pretty cool. it's not especially close to a highway though.

central square/ cambridgeport ARE close to the pike. so is the kendall area. you could look there.

davis is all right. i don't love it and feel like it's kind of a poor value, but a lot of people do love it. robos was going to move there but it fell through.

anyhow if you're in town and want to kick around town and look at areas, let me know. i'll kick around with you.
    I would get into romanpunk. Wear senatorial toga all day erryday. Shit looks balling.

(I would get frostbite)
    xlh6c3.png
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot Registered User regular
    "it's pretty happening" will said, his dentures rattling against his wether's originals candies
    Gooey wrote: »
    eat the computer puppy

gain its powers

if a puppy gains the powers of the internet does reality implode?
    Lh96QHG.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular

Some forces do. I know the NZ Police force used to have a Volunteer Reserve for moments like that. I don't think they do now as the force is a lot bigger than it was when he was a young man.

Back during the Depression and during periods of massive labour unrest they did recruit Special Policemen, who seem to have been farmers, farm workers, white collar types from the provinces and various big city types, to smash the strikes. They largely all had their own weapons and horses, so were given a badge, sworn in and sent off to Wellington to intimidate the strikers.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    kW5UiC1.png

finley used to look like that

now he looks like a short-necked giraffe with mogwai ears
This discussion has been closed.