Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "support the arts" doesn't just mean "pay artists so they don't have to get real jobs"

we are all clear on that point, yes?

eh, I think it's a pretty succinct summary of it, actually.
    xlh6c3.png
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    that one was for you gooby

archway you are my favorite bug-based supervillain
    919UOwT.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    spool32 wrote: »
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Also 'prestige' shit like landing on the moon does things for humanity other than concrete practicals it spurs creativity and wonder and shit pragmatism never does.

really?

like what?

what did a moon landing do for humanity that, say, 300 hoover dams wouldn't?

300 Hoovber dams would ruin the world's landscape what kind of environmentalist are you.

i am not particularly an environmentalist
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    wait what is west wing

Opposite of east wing.

Insects have wings you should know this.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    Feral wrote: »
    I think Feral's idea is social safety net as a baseline for living, right? It's not welfare it's something everyone gets no matter what? I don't know.

I support the arts leave me alone NPR.

I support a basic guaranteed income, yeah.

Or, if we don't want to give the poors cash money because somebody is afraid they'll spend it on bubble gum and crack, then guaranteed housing, food, and medical care.

I know what party you'd vote for were you norwegian.
    xlh6c3.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    wait what is west wing

@AManFromEarth We have a runner in sector W, please engage with extreme prejudice.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    wait what is west wing

Aaron Sorkin's presidential fantasyland.
    h1DI1.jpg
    If a fly is hatched without wings is it called a walk?
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    wtf is going on

Feral being wrong?

my god

it's here
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Dams also wouldn't stop monsoons

therefore not a great way to control flooding in Cambodia

just saying

i thought that dams are exactly how to mitigate seasonal flooding from things like monsoons.

didn't the nile do this?

and the ganges?

and the yangtse?

and the upper mississippi?

Yes, dams with reservoirs are supposed to even out seasonal water levels and prevent flooding. That is one of their purposes.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    This show.

This heifer.
    dams are one thing where the environmental impact seems to be kind of overstated at times

I mean of course it depends but people are like of course they're bad for the environment too but like no! not when this conversation was about coal power!

the negative environmental impact of dams is making a bigger lake that is not really on the same level

of course unless you're china and like to go a bit crazy with shit like that.
    xlh6c3.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    I kind of agree with what feral is getting at, in that the social safety net would ideally be as comprehensive as possible.

That kind of thing, however, tends to make people very uncomfortable the closer it gets to a system where you can exist without doing anything at all. This is actually one of our Conservative's campaigning platform at the moment - the idea of "making work pay" based on the scare tactic of suggesting that people on benefits are actually better off than the employed (which is bollocks, and primarily based on wilful misinterpretation of the figures).

The suggestion that it should be possible to "live" without working or contributing in some sense is a politically difficult one. It's usually made most palatable by the provision of services rather than the payment of money.
  • ArchArch Trust me, I'm a scientist Registered User regular
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Also 'prestige' shit like landing on the moon does things for humanity other than concrete practicals it spurs creativity and wonder and shit pragmatism never does.

really?

like what?

300 Hoovber dams would ruin the world's landscape what kind of environmentalist are you.

300 Hoover Dams is dumb, we only need maybe 50, for energy generation and water management.

The Moon landing is just a big fuck yeah moment that cost a lot of money, like the Olympics, but with only 3 people.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    how about this

if you are some dumb artist who just paints lines on canvas you get nothing because i could do that

if you are an artist who paints like landscapes or fruit or people riding horses or whatever you get a pass because that seems way harder
    919UOwT.png
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You go up in space. You float around some. You lose bone density and muscle mass and never really recover from it. Woo space.

and extra radiation! and you get all weird and swollen and miserable.
    worrisomeSig.jpg

flys hatch without wings and they are called "crawls"

housefly-life-cycle.jpg
    i made that second part up
  • TL DRTL DR Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the argument against expanding the social safety net is that the expenditure is not justified unless it results in better outcomes in terms of worker productivity, which it won't because a safety net makes people complacent and/or dependent on the state.

My position would be that the expense is worth it in terms of human justice and the fact that we are not facing a worker productivity shortage by any reasonable metric, but that even in the conservative model of requiring a net positive return I think it's reasonable that there are efficiency gains to be made when people in your labor force are able to focus on things other than crushing poverty.
    eokNV.jpg
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    dams are one thing where the environmental impact seems to be kind of overstated at times

I mean of course it depends but people are like of course they're bad for the environment too but like no! not when this conversation was about coal power!

the negative environmental impact of dams is making a bigger lake that is not really on the same level

of course unless you're china and like to go a bit crazy with shit like that.

China tends to go overboard and not check if things are a good idea ahead of time. It's ok, it happens to a lot of countries.

You can't see but I am gesturing to the land around myself.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • a5ehrena5ehren Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    You go up in space. You float around some. You lose bone density and muscle mass and never really recover from it. Woo space.

and extra radiation! and you get all weird and swollen and miserable.

Yeah, but HYPERBONERS
  • syndalissyndalis Aballah Can Tah Advancing the Human ConditionRegistered User regular
    varnish.jpg

cash.jpg
    meat.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/vendor-pulls-obama-target-from-booth-at-nra?ref=fpb
    At its convention in Houston, over the weekend, the National Rifle Association asked a vendor to take down a mannequin target that looked like President Barack Obama, Buzzfeed reported on Sunday.

The vendor, Zombie Industries, produces "life-sized tactical mannequin" targets that "bleed" when shot. Photographs of the company's booth at the convention taken by Buzzfeed show that the company had several sample mannequins displayed for sale, including a clown, a "terrorist," and a Nazi.

"Someone from the NRA came by and asked us to remove it" a Zombie Industries booth worker told BuzzFeed, referring to the company's "Bleeding Rocky Zombie" target. "They thought it looked too much like President Obama."

Buzzfeed asked the worker if the resemblance was intentional.

"Let's just say I gave my Republican father one for Christmas," the worker replied.

The Rocky mannequins are being sold at Zombie Industries' website for $89.95 each. The product description states that "Rocky is HIGHLY dangerous due to his quick wit and strength… he was last seen screaming something like, 'Zombie Industries believes in America!' And that we do."

"What makes our Zombie’s so special?" the product description page asks. "They’re filled with biodegradable matter, which makes clean up a wee-bit easier…(are you happy, mom?) …and oh yah, let’s not forget, they bleed and burst into little pieces of blood soaked, Zombie matter when you shoot them!"
    There is something deeply disturbing about practicing shooting using an effigy of the president.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Gooey, what do you think should happen to people who cannot make ends meet and have little education, grew up poor, don't know how to climb the ladder or improve their lot in life, etc.

Or what about people who are, legitimately, just really dumb? Not mental disorder or brain damage or medical condition, but just not good at planning, abstract thought, creativity, etc.

I find this a fascinating issue because, like it or not, some people are stupid or bad at important life skills. And a society has to deal with those people.
    Corehealer wrote: »

really?

like what?

300 Hoover Dams is dumb, we only need maybe 50, for energy generation and water management.

The Moon landing is just a big fuck yeah moment that cost a lot of money, like the Olympics, but with only 3 people.

Lol only two people landed on the moon that time.

Poor third guy
    _J_ wrote:

housefly-life-cycle.jpg

the picture?
    919UOwT.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    how about this

if you are some dumb artist who just paints lines on canvas you get nothing because i could do that

if you are an artist who paints like landscapes or fruit or people riding horses or whatever you get a pass because that seems way harder

I'm reminded of that Dilbert cartoon where the boss plans a project by starting from the assumption that any task he doesn't understand is easy to do.

how pointy is your hair right now
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    The kittens did their business behind the TV. Had to get in there and clean up what was basically diarrhea plus urine.

Gag reflex was in full effect. Had a couple of throwup scares. Febreze is not helping.
    network_sig2.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I kind of agree with what feral is getting at, in that the social safety net would ideally be as comprehensive as possible.

That kind of thing, however, tends to make people very uncomfortable the closer it gets to a system where you can exist without doing anything at all. This is actually one of our Conservative's campaigning platform at the moment - the idea of "making work pay" based on the scare tactic of suggesting that people on benefits are actually better off than the employed (which is bollocks, and primarily based on wilful misinterpretation of the figures).

The suggestion that it should be possible to "live" without working or contributing in some sense is a politically difficult one. It's usually made most palatable by the provision of services rather than the payment of money.

Did you see the BBC Business "eat for a pound a day" article?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22263706

Some criticism

http://aethelreadtheunread.wordpress.com/2013/04/27/from-the-bbc-how-not-to-eat-healthily-for-1-a-day/
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    how about this

This whole time gooey was my drunk uncle. I never knew!
    dkmouthsig.png
    how about this

As someone who has painted those things, I can say that yes, they are harder and should be something you should be paid for once your good enough.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

really?

like what?

He's not saying he'd use 300 Hoover dams to place in rivers for hydroelectric power.

He's saying build 300 Hoover dams in the middle of the desert as a massive public works project. Unemployment ended!

Ohhhhhhhh

Well that sounds a lot more like your standard liberal thinking!
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.

housefly-life-cycle.jpg

Well what if they get to the housefly stage and still don't have wings? Or a malicious child pulls them off?
    _J_ wrote:
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    wtf is going on

Feral being wrong?

my god

it's here

Grabbing my bug out bag

really?

like what?

i guess i didn't mean literally building 300 hoover dams

i meant 300 public engineering projects on the order of hoover dam or the golden gate bridge or the tva

really?

like what?

Lol only two people landed on the moon that time.

Poor third guy

I counted Michael Collins because he got shafted on having to pilot the spacecraft while those two were having fun bouncing around.
    BUT SERIOUS ENTOMOLOGY KNOWLEDGE BOMB TIME

There are flies that do not have wings. What they call them I don't know. (I guess they call them 'keds'?)

Even weirder is that these flies have "live birth"- that is they have one larvae at a time, that larvae gestates inside the mother and feeds on secretions from the mother's milk glands, and then the mother fly lays the larvae as a pupa

So there is a fly that doesn't have wings that also feeds its offspring with milk that the mother produces

I have made nothing in this post up
    how about this

it's all scrub tier until you're doing lighthouses and cottages
    how about this

This whole time gooey was my drunk uncle. I never knew!

Come 'ere Dongy. Let me tell you about this thing called 'Nam.
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.