Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Neutral [chat] Hotel

• FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    So there's no way to wear Google Glass and not look like a douchelord.

I'd wear one.

so would spool

so you're not alone
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong and a cast of thousands Registered User regular
    so uh

it froze while trying to restore

and now when I go to disk utility it doesnt see the internal hdd at all

http://www.apple.com/support/imac-harddrive/ ?

2008 imac :c

The hard drive replacement looks like moderate difficulty. You'd need suction cups and there are lots of screws and cables but nothing too crazy like specialty security bits or heat guns. About $150 and an an hour of work if you're confident.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    80 bux
    80 bux
    yes it sux
    but 80 bux
    Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Gooey wrote: »

I think SiG is getting a bit old for this kind of gig
    Feral wrote: »

google glass is this decade's bluetooth headset

I swear I called this forever ago.
    dkmouthsig.png
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

google glass is this decade's bluetooth headset

I swear I called this forever ago.

you probably did
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • visiblehowlvisiblehowl Registered User regular
    I'll be honest, I think that tumblr is dumb.

Most people look dumb when someone takes a picture of them, and especially when they take pictures of themselves. The google glasses (or wait, it's singular? google glass? whatever) have almost nothing to do with the people looking stupid in those photographs, they're bad pictures regardless.

Frankly I don't think the device itself looks that bad.
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
    See, Geth knows what's up.
    "I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it."

"Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Went for a long walk. Went up to Ravneberget (raven rock).

Amazing view. Weather was perfect. Heavy clouds hanging over bergen, obscuring Ulriken but not the other of the seven mountains around it. Dripping a bit. Twilight. Perfect.
    xlh6c3.png
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    oh i bet that car is filthy all right
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    calling the apple store to see if theyll give me a quote to replace hdd

$15000
    lady calling into the computer help hour of public radio about her four year old computer
    "well i had a problem so I paid them $300 to do support on it"

lady just buy a new fucking computer its like $300 for a tower with an i5 and 8gb of ram
  • LudiousLudious Registered User regular
    as far as I'm concerned Google Glass is a prototype for a contact lens that does the same thing. It might not exist for a while, but that's the best outcome for it.
    Google Talk: ludious83 My Blog: The Caustic Geek
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »

the day i fail to eyeroll at jezebel content

is the day my eye muscles are paralyzed

jezebel handwringing is fucking hilarious will

The comments are fantastits
    "Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"

you really can't believe that crossfit dudes acted like macho dicks?

I can quite easily believe a gym class essentially called "Tough Tits" told her "tough tits."
    network_sig2.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular
    $80 is a ripoff to clean a car.

I mean really, legitimately hand wash and clean a car.

And in a bikini too.

I wouldn't do it for less than $250.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular

why are the seats so sticky
    It looks like someone is holding some kind of un-head-related implement over their face

The thing should just be the eye piece, not the bar across the forehead
    I think google glass looks horrid.

also, gimme my goddamn illusive man lenses already what's the goddamn holdup.
    xlh6c3.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    so a few hours ago I linked the lparchive for cass

and then I checked it out myself, because I haven't been there in years

found an LP of Advent Rising. Turns out, if you push certain switches in a specific order (a handful of which I've toggled, and always wondered what they did) a fucking rainbow bridge appears in one map, and there are warp pipes to later stages.

Utterly awesome.
  • PodlyPodly RUDEASS TITTIESRegistered User regular

because no one would want her she is an old hag right right
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    biden%20sig.png
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    store wouldnt give me a quote without brining it in
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    That said, given that CrossFit is a franchise, the quality varies wildly from place to place.

But the core of CrossFit's approach is still quite bad for strictly medical reasons, complaints about the "hardcore" culture aside. The guys in the [Bigman] thread in SE++ can attest to that, and provide specifics.
    network_sig2.png
  • TehSlothTehSloth On that ass like Charmin Registered User regular

I kinda wish they'd spent more time on punch-up for that ad.

Large orbital buffers preferred, etc.
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular

"Dear god, your obscure puckish humor has made all my fears about social injustice and institutionalized oppression go away," said nobody ever.

Now for grownup talk...

1. Doesn't matter where the term came from. It's essentializing by coding woman-ness (something women should identify as being for them and about them) to tits. It's wrong because it is ableist and reductionist.

2. The letter writing customer does have a huge sense of entitlement...she feels she is entitled to not have reductionist labels invade a place she pays to sweat in. She feels entitled to safety from people who administer the fitness space she has purchased a membership in. She feels entitled to raise an objection to institutionalized misogyny. She is entitled (as a paying customer of a business operating in the US) to all of these things.

3. Just one is pretty meaningless when it comes to justice. She is a person. Her personhood doesn't need a "Mob" stacked modifier in order to count.

4. It's nice you have the privilege of not finding someone reducing you to a sophomoric body part label offensive. For most people, that means they're being dehumanized. Glad you have a greater experience of safety. Most people don't. Your experience does not determine the correctness of hers. That disconnect and dehumanization is part of why this kind of labeling behavior is offensive.

5. A customer acquires a product for a variety of reasons...in most cases, those reasons do not include seeking a corollary series of abusive behaviors and encounters. I do suspect she's wondering why she's there too, now.

6. More offense does not excuse offense. It may camouflage it, but it sure doesn't excuse it.

7. Toughness doesn't mean you abandon ethics. Toughness means you stand by the right thing, you do the right thing, you call out the people who are doing the wrong thing and you stand tall against bullies and thoughtless people. This customer gave the gym a wake-up call. They hit snooze and rolled over. That's not a recipe for success in any business. Hopefully she can just take her business elsewhere.

I can't believe the gym's response to her request to change a class name was just "tough tits, we ain't changing it"

Jezebel is horrible. This is the same site that will slobber all over the self destruction of Amanda Bynes but call itself feminist.

That said tough titsday and the response to criticism are hella dumb.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera

And in a bikini too.

Why would I pay you $250 when I could pay a team of high school girls twenty bucks for the same service at basically any random parking lot in the summer?

I would totally borrow a bikini and show up in it with a bucket and sponge all 'sup, this the car?
    xlh6c3.png
    Go whole hog with it, alternatively

Huge eye plate with red glowing screen

Like Kano

Or make it part of a giant glossy plastic robotic top hat with a Google glass monocle
    edited May 2013

Most people look dumb when someone takes a picture of them, and especially when they take pictures of themselves. The google glasses (or wait, it's singular? google glass? whatever) have almost nothing to do with the people looking stupid in those photographs, they're bad pictures regardless.

It looks like an accessory out of a made for TV scifi movie. You could play it up for retro fashion like fingerless gloves or something but at the end of the day, it looks stupid. And it implies that you need a screen in front of your face 24/7. It's like walking around with a feedbag on. No matter how enjoyable or convenient, it implies a certain lack of self control.
    Donkey Kong on
    dkmouthsig.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular

And in a bikini too.

Why would I pay you $250 when I could pay a team of high school girls twenty bucks for the same service at basically any random parking lot in the summer?
    it's less creepy if you pay him
  • ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

laser eye surgery

It's pretty awful.
    Um, what I mean is, why would someone pay you $250 when they could pay a team of high school girls twenty bucks for the same service at basically any random parking lot in the summer?

• evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Google glass is fucking creepy and I hope everyone who wears one in a place where filming would be inappropriate gets the shit kicked out of them.
    ronya wrote: »

laser eye surgery

laser eye surgery as is is the direct opposite of what the name suggests it should be
    xlh6c3.png
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I would totally borrow a bikini and show up in it with a bucket and sponge all 'sup, this the car?

See if he'll throw in extra if you do it topless.
    laser eye surgery? fuck yes.

wait, it's just eye surgery with lasers? You suck.
    xlh6c3.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Six pack on a dick Registered User regular

And in a bikini too.

You're not paying them to wash your car.
    h1DI1.jpg
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Now for grownup talk...

you really can't believe that crossfit dudes acted like macho dicks?

I can quite easily believe a gym class essentially called "Tough Tits" told her "tough tits."

Jezebel Writer: I am offended by the name of your class. Pls Chang
    Class Instructor: No thx
    JW: BUT UR MISOGINISM! I ws thinking bout joining your gym
    Gym Owner: Go away
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    Podly wrote: »

because no one would want her she is an old hag right right

nah but sophisticated urban ladies would need to charge a lot more, right

Cheap carwashes are for sorority girls who don't have fine soaps
  • skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    maybe applecare will give me an answer
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »
    Google glass is fucking creepy and I hope everyone who wears one in a place where filming would be inappropriate gets the shit kicked out of them.

obama should force everyone to wear google glass all the time and the video streams should be publicly available

the most polite of societies
This discussion has been closed.