Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• ElldrenElldren Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I used to post on Usenet for a few years in the 90s - specifically rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated and rec.arts.comics.misc. The former group was about what you'd expect (lots of older people, lots of right-wing people, lots of weirdos) the latter was surprisingly hip. It, and reading Transmetropolitan, led me to the Warren Ellis Forum (the WEF) around 2000.

That was a fantastic board for a while and still kind of my gold standard for forums. Everyone posted with real names and the readership was heavily skewed away from the usual tech crowd toward people with backgrounds in the arts, music, theater, TV and film, and marketing, including a lot of professionals in those fields (published writers, editors, TV producers, filmmakers etc etc). It was a few thousand really smart people talking about current music and books and movies and really helped me feel connected and hip during a time when I kind of needed that. I met a ton of people there both in real life and online who I remain in touch with today, thirteen years later/

Unfortunately, Ellis himself got bored with the project and ended it in 2002, leading to a big diaspora to several splinter forums. A couple of them are still trucking and I read them regularly but it gradually tails off on a year-to-year basis as people get older and have kids and, in a few cases, die.

Internet friends can't die.

Internet friends can't die.

sorry bro

I used to talk about Patrick O'Brian books with this cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Root

and this guy helped me with math homework once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_McDuffie
    man i recognize that second name

:(

he was a really rad dude

I had been a fan since before joining the forum because I'd read a lot of Milestone Comics in the 90s but while some other pros tended to just kind of dip in and out to promote their new stuff he just hung out as a regular poster in the movie thread or the science news thread or whatever. he was really generous with advice and was just nice and personable to everyone.

I am both jealous and sad
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    Isn't a pity date that you know isn't going well and then you never hear from the girl again worse than no date at all?

I would say that depends on both parties obviously
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Isn't a pity date that you know isn't going well and then you never hear from the girl again worse than no date at all?

i guess it depends on whether you got laid
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Good luck Chim
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote: »

i guess it depends on whether you got laid

Nope. You never gon get laid on a pity date. That's another animal entirely, called the pity fuck.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

I'd take a terrible date at the moment just for the change of pace.
    god yes

i can't even get a girl to pretend to like me
    Per3th.jpg
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular

god yes

I could pretend to be a girl, though.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

I wish more judges would stand up and do this. You know, smack down abuse of the word of law vs. the intent of law.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    sup nerds

oh hello there

tyrannus
    shouldn't you be somewhere continuing to be an ugly person
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

footnote 5 dude

IRS CID are the folks that put the fear of God into the Joker. Footnote 5,while the most epic of burns ever, does not compare.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Man, you know what I hate that just came to mind? Guys who never seem to get female attention so then I date them and then girls flock to them like their dick is going out of style.

'bout to start some Monica/Brandy realness up in here.

Is that actually a thing?
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

god yes

I could pretend to be a girl, though.

I have some supplies to help.

We're gonna make you pretty.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    Dis girl needs to hurry up and tell me she doesn't want to date me coz I hate not knowing and it feels like I've been waiting weeks and it hasn't really been very long and ugh. I am bad at people stuff.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular
    Off to finish cleaning my old house and say goodbye to it. It's been a faithful place to hang my hat for 8 years and so it deserves a proper farewell.

Back in a bit.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    sup nerds

oh hello there

tyrannus

**sniff**
    Mortious wrote: »
    Man, you know what I hate that just came to mind? Guys who never seem to get female attention so then I date them and then girls flock to them like their dick is going out of style.

Is that actually a thing?

You know to be perfectly fair, if it's a monogamous relationship, then his dick basically is going out of style.
    Henroid wrote: »

I wish more judges would stand up and do this. You know, smack down abuse of the word of law vs. the intent of law.

Yes. There is no winning for Prenda - just various degrees of getting fucked.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular
    sup nerds

oh hello there

tyrannus

This is such a succinct and beautiful diss.
    (V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    Dis girl needs to hurry up and tell me she doesn't want to date me coz I hate not knowing and it feels like I've been waiting weeks and it hasn't really been very long and ugh. I am bad at people stuff.

People are hard.

But like not for me apparently.
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    Oh no, i forgot to put pam on the dish I put in the oven.

I am a monster! D:
  • GooeyGooey Registered User regular
    tyrannus

more like

tyr-anus
    919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    sup nerds

oh hello there

tyrannus

Thinking these up is all Tyrannus does all day.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular

Well, they could 'win' if their state bar(s?) don't disbar them. But that'd be pretty unlikely from the way this all reads.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

People are hard.

don't say that, i'm sure you're sort of attractive to some people
    Organichu wrote: »

People are hard.

i feel like we should be putting "people" in quotes here
    919UOwT.png
  • tyrannustyrannus Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    sup nerds

oh hello there

tyrannus

Thinking these up is all Tyrannus does all day.

and then i bill for it
    edited May 2013

People are hard.

I just have massive self esteem issues where my entire sense of self worth is based on what I think other people think about me so when I don't know how they feel I don't know what to think about myself and I get kinda panicy and all over the place.

Yes I am seeing someone about this.

edit: alt post

are you sure about that? :winky:
    evilbob on
    huh

the original saints row character i uploaded got a like

how did they even find it

it's buried behind weeks of submissions
    Per3th.jpg
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

That's awesome.
    Note he concluded that Prenda's model was to demand settlement "a sum calculated to be just below the cost of a bare-bones defense." In footnote 5, explaining the amount of sanctions he imposed, he says "This punitive portion is calculated to be just below the cost of an effective appeal."
  • MimMim Registered User regular

Hey, so I was thinking Mim, if you ever wanted to go out sometime...

I'm taken >____________>
    Organichu wrote: »

People are hard.

Nah I know I am.

Like not physically as far as I know at the moment, but plenty of people like me.

I can't resist the chance to complain about being bad with people though because I really am.
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Gatekeeper of D&D [chat] Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    DLqQmGQ.jpg

Good evenin' [chat]folk!

Today was another excellent day of cooking, and tomorrow is a day off full of plans!

How y'all?
    BeNarwhal on

Well, they could 'win' if their state bar(s?) don't disbar them. But that'd be pretty unlikely from the way this all reads.

They are going to learn first hand the meaning of the old adage "The millstone of justice grinds exceedingly slow, but exceedingly fine."
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular

god yes

Aint nobody gonna like you if you dont like yourself girlfriend

mmhmm
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »

I'm sure guys love them pity dates

I don't pity date!

I assure you that after we date, I shall share some of the girls with you if your interested. I'm all about sharing.

I don't think you and I are attracted to the same kinds of girls

god yes

Aint nobody gonna like you if you dont like yourself girlfriend

mmhmm
    i ain't gonna like me if no one else does

so
    Per3th.jpg
    What was your pizza special?
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    wow, Microsoft stock has actually been going up lately. It's been at 30 for pretty much since Ballmer took over in 2000. Sometimes drops a bit or goes up a tiny bit but then snaps right back to 30. Right now it's at 33. That's higher than it's been in a decade outside of a period of about a week in mid 2007.
    What you think "makes sense" has nothing to do with reality. It just has to do with your life experience. And your life experience may only be a small smidgen of reality. Possibly even a distorted account of reality at that. So what this means is that, beginning in the 20th century as our means of decoding nature became more and more powerful, we started realizing our common sense is no longer a tool to pass judgment on whether or not a scientific theory is correct. - Neil Degrasse Tyson

People are hard.

I just have massive self esteem issues where my entire sense of self worth is based on what I think other people think about me so when I don't know how they feel I don't know what to think about myself and I get kinda panicy and all over the place.

Yes I am seeing someone about this.

edit: alt post

are you sure about that? :winky:

:winky:

I am pretty sure someone, somewhere is hard for me on occasion. It is the nature of the internet.

Also I actually really get what you're saying here. So much of my self worth ties into how people perceive me and gender, and the two issues interact horrifically. It's only recently that I've even begun to be able to start shutting out what other people think in favor of what I know to be the case.

It's a hell of a thing and I'm sorry you've got it too.
    mim you have mentioned that you are dating somebody like 20 times in the last couple of days

who exactly are you trying to convince?

us, or yourself?
    919UOwT.png
This discussion has been closed.