Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

North Country [chat]land

• Irond WillIrond Will Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    i love fashion

i need to stop being a fat pig so i can express my fashion love in more exciting ways :3

me too

i have lots of clothes i can't even fit into anymore

including my coveted nantucket red trousers
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    This forum honestly is the only place on the Internet I could ever cope with.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    I am too old. There can be only one Corky and he was the start of Life Goes On.
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Tav isn't that the horrible site that was linked yesterday

I feel its credibility is ranked somewhere lower than the Daily Mail

the first quote is from a Business Insider writer, the second from the man himself

the rest of the article is a bit trashy, yes, but the quotes seem very self explanatory

Never heard of Business Insider, but I'm not an MBA. Are there other sources for the CEO's quote.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I haven't seen Oblivion yet, but man, the soundtrack is great.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    The only other forum I have posted on was the Bungie forum because of some screenshot contest when Halo 3 came out.

Then a couple years later I somehow found the Penny Arcade comic and powered through the entire archive on a weekend (working weekend tech support in a basement library is hella boring, let me tell you) and started lurking in here for about a year.

Then Community annoyed me over something and I made an account with which to discuss it two years ago. Then for a long time nothing happened. Then I got hit with a massive bout of depression after my grandmother died and I was stuck halfway around the world from everyone I knew and I started posting more regularly.

I've interacted with some cool and some not so cool people on here, and I'm sure some of you could put me in either of those categories at any given time, but for the most part I think it's a pretty neat community that is full of regularly normal and nice people.

It's been an honor to be part of this community.

Now hopefully I get a fulltime job soon and can stop spending so much daylight in here.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • MimMim Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    I have always been too good for 4chan.

Always.

That said, I expected better out of SA. I had always figured it was just PA but bigger.

But they're also much angrier, spergier, and more Marxist.

they have pretty great stuff for lifestyle- you might not like their WAYWT type threads (super hipster, if that's not your thing) but they have very information-dense, good megathreads on watches, suits, weightlifting, running, etc

I actually started getting into the men's fashion subreddits and started trying to do more of that while I was away. I would like to believe my wardrobe is at least 70% more hipster than previously.

For instance, I have started wearing skinny jeans. My legs look fucking fantastic.

one thing to note- and this may or may not be important to you- is that r/malefashionadvice is extremely, extremely safe. that can be totally ok and maybe you have a subdued style and it's the exact thing you need to make you not make easy mistakes.

but their 'recommended outfit' is extremely predictable and they can be a little hostile to fashion forward ideas.

so like, they're gonna want you to get a pair of beeswax desert boots by clarks, and then brown AE strands. then it'll be a pair of levi's 511s and uniqlo or jcrew shirts- with a jcrew or brooks brothers or something sweater. they're going to tell you to take it easy with colors, get a good bottom-top contrast but nothing too loud or adventurous.

ain't nothing wrong with going crazier than that, lots of interesting outfits that fall outside those specs.

r/femalefashionadvice has actually gotten a lot more friendly to alternative fashion ideas (i.e. punk/goth styled clothes)

*dons hot pink sweatpants*

would wear.

i would rock the shit out of it.

i feel like you can wear anything really as long as you have the confidence to pull it off or else it looks terrible on you.

girl, no

gurl, yes
    I don't actually care if the CEO really said that, but I want you punished for linking Elite Daily Tav you God damn Hitler
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    I think it never occurred to me how much fashion would appeal to me until I just recently started looking into it.

At the fundamental level it's an artistic endeavor, and putting together outfits is like putting together a composition, and I've realized that's a lot more fun than I thought it would be at first.
    vspgsp.jpg
    potatoes take a long fucking time to boil. I forgot to check them before draining them and they were still hard so now I have to reboil them!!!
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »

the first quote is from a Business Insider writer, the second from the man himself

the rest of the article is a bit trashy, yes, but the quotes seem very self explanatory

Never heard of Business Insider, but I'm not an MBA. Are there other sources for the CEO's quote.

pretend I posted a lmgtfy link here
    Echo wrote: »
    I haven't seen Oblivion yet, but man, the soundtrack is great.

it's by M83!
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular

Always.

That said, I expected better out of SA. I had always figured it was just PA but bigger.

they have pretty great stuff for lifestyle- you might not like their WAYWT type threads (super hipster, if that's not your thing) but they have very information-dense, good megathreads on watches, suits, weightlifting, running, etc

I actually started getting into the men's fashion subreddits and started trying to do more of that while I was away. I would like to believe my wardrobe is at least 70% more hipster than previously.

For instance, I have started wearing skinny jeans. My legs look fucking fantastic.

one thing to note- and this may or may not be important to you- is that r/malefashionadvice is extremely, extremely safe. that can be totally ok and maybe you have a subdued style and it's the exact thing you need to make you not make easy mistakes.

but their 'recommended outfit' is extremely predictable and they can be a little hostile to fashion forward ideas.

so like, they're gonna want you to get a pair of beeswax desert boots by clarks, and then brown AE strands. then it'll be a pair of levi's 511s and uniqlo or jcrew shirts- with a jcrew or brooks brothers or something sweater. they're going to tell you to take it easy with colors, get a good bottom-top contrast but nothing too loud or adventurous.

ain't nothing wrong with going crazier than that, lots of interesting outfits that fall outside those specs.

r/femalefashionadvice has actually gotten a lot more friendly to alternative fashion ideas (i.e. punk/goth styled clothes)

would wear.

i feel like you can wear anything really as long as you have the confidence to pull it off or else it looks terrible on you.

girl, no

gurl, yes

man i have seen more than one fedora wearing, binary-tshirt-joke-donning goateed nerd

they thought they were owning that shit

just no gurl
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular

Always.

would wear.

girl, no

gurl, yes

as someone who likes wearing disgustingly awkward clothing gurl yes indeed
    G2Dcf.jpg
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited May 2013
    I used to post on Usenet for a few years in the 90s - specifically rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated and rec.arts.comics.misc. The former group was about what you'd expect (lots of older people, lots of right-wing people, lots of weirdos) the latter was surprisingly hip. It, and reading Transmetropolitan, led me to the Warren Ellis Forum (the WEF) around 2000.

That was a fantastic board for a while and still kind of my gold standard for forums. Everyone posted with real names and the readership was heavily skewed away from the usual tech crowd toward people with backgrounds in the arts, music, theater, TV and film, and marketing, including a lot of professionals in those fields (published writers, editors, TV producers, filmmakers etc etc). It was a few thousand really smart people talking about current music and books and movies and really helped me feel connected and hip during a time when I kind of needed that. I met a ton of people there both in real life and online who I remain in touch with today, thirteen years later.

Unfortunately, Ellis himself got bored with the project and ended it in 2002, leading to a big diaspora to several splinter forums. A couple of them are still trucking and I read them regularly but it gradually tails off on a year-to-year basis as people get older and have kids and, in a few cases, die.
    Jacobkosh on
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

Casual wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Fashion is mysterious to me.

yup

jeans + t-shirt + hoodie + vans = legal to leave the house

Replace hoodie with light jacket and vans with kickass plaid pink/rainbow lo-tops and that is me.
    Whatever the CEO says can't possibly be worse than the working conditions of whoever makes the clothes
    desc wrote: »

Scheduling a shopping trip

Let's get frabjous

If you were closer I would make you take me out for this tomorrow.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That CEO seems a bit melted. Too much time being cool guy on beach for him. Time for him to be put back in fridge and then re sculpted by talented butter artiste
    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!

Always.

would wear.

girl, no

gurl, yes

man i have seen more than one fedora wearing, binary-tshirt-joke-donning goateed nerd

just no gurl

everyone who wears a fedora thinks they are owning it

Always.

would wear.

girl, no

gurl, yes

just no gurl

Sarksus almost murdered me when I was wearing my Japanese Batman shirt with a white blazer.

He was like "That looks stupid"

and I was like "Bitch please, I'm rocking this shit"

(this was not the actual word-for-word conversation, just the gist)
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    Oh man. Halfway through S2, and West Wing is more high-minded shoegazing than actual content.
    network_sig2.png
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I used to post on Usenet for a few years in the 90s - specifically rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated and rec.arts.comics.misc. The former group was about what you'd expect (lots of older people, lots of right-wing people, lots of weirdos) the latter was surprisingly hip. It, and reading Transmetropolitan, led me to the Warren Ellis Forum (the WEF) around 2000.

That was a fantastic board for a while and still kind of my gold standard for forums. Everyone posted with real names and the readership was heavily skewed away from the usual tech crowd toward people with backgrounds in the arts, music, theater, TV and film, and marketing, including a lot of professionals in those fields (published writers, editors, TV producers, filmmakers etc etc). It was a few thousand really smart people talking about current music and books and movies and really helped me feel connected and hip during a time when I kind of needed that. I met a ton of people there both in real life and online who I remain in touch with today, thirteen years later/

Unfortunately, Ellis himself got bored with the project and ended it in 2002, leading to a big diaspora to several splinter forums. A couple of them are still trucking and I read them regularly but it gradually tails off on a year-to-year basis as people get older and have kids and, in a few cases, die.

Internet friends can't die.

vspgsp.jpg
    I probably said something cleverly insulting about the t-shirt blazer combo.
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    phone just went off! :D

paypal ballance summary email :(

I'mma give up waiting now for the sake of my sanity.
    and then my dog got dirt all over my white blazer, the little heifer.
    I think it never occurred to me how much fashion would appeal to me until I just recently started looking into it.

At the fundamental level it's an artistic endeavor, and putting together outfits is like putting together a composition, and I've realized that's a lot more fun than I thought it would be at first.

I want to but am so bad at picking stuff up. So far I have learned that black jacket and bright magenta or pink t shirt underneath looks good and that's pretty much it.
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i used to think i wasn't interested in fashion but then i played saints row and realized i kind of was, it's just that i look terrible irl
    Per3th.jpg
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular

yup

Replace hoodie with light jacket and vans with kickass plaid pink/rainbow lo-tops and that is me.

hi-top chucks fo lyf

fuck yo low-top shoe bullshit
    Elendil wrote: »
    i used to think i wasn't interested in fashion but then i played saints row and realized i kind of was, it's just that i look terrible irl

Good plan I will use Saint's Row as a dressup simulator, then go and buy things.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
  • Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Why are you guys posting pictures of the elephant man?
    Elendil wrote: »

But the highest goal of fashion is to hide how ugly you are!

You're the perfect person to fashion.
    vspgsp.jpg
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular

I mean when the CEO is quoted as saying something it doesn't really matter how credible your site is unless you outright made it up.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
    Also the female model would be necessary because I need the breast slider and that is super awesome.
    Before The Dawn Heals Us and Saturdays = Youth are so, so much better than Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xYCNu1TJvY
    someone actually linked to a website that sold clothes that looked like something out of RPGs/fantasy setting video games.

I need to find it again.
    evilbob wrote: »

yup

hi-top chucks fo lyf

fuck yo low-top shoe bullshit

I prefer hi tops but these shoes didn't come in that. Also I think they have been discontinued which makes me so amazingly sad. Time to go find more shoes.
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark Registered User regular
    You guys are all right
    Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp! I can show you how to be a real man!Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

That was a fantastic board for a while and still kind of my gold standard for forums. Everyone posted with real names and the readership was heavily skewed away from the usual tech crowd toward people with backgrounds in the arts, music, theater, TV and film, and marketing, including a lot of professionals in those fields (published writers, editors, TV producers, filmmakers etc etc). It was a few thousand really smart people talking about current music and books and movies and really helped me feel connected and hip during a time when I kind of needed that. I met a ton of people there both in real life and online who I remain in touch with today, thirteen years later/

sorry bro

I used to talk about Patrick O'Brian books with this cat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Root

and this guy helped me with math homework once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_McDuffie
This discussion has been closed.