Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Diablo 3] Reports of the Economy's death were greatly exaggerated

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    hmm...I haven't played this game since like...uh...last year; like a month after launch. I never even got a 60 (my highest is 55) because the scaling was shit, though I understand things are balanced 'better' now?

All this flipping shit you guys are talking about is over my head.

So, I have $5 in blizzbucks that have been sitting there the last year.

I think that's like ~200 million gold worth?

But from what you guys are saying if I wanted gold, I'd be better off buying gems with that cash and then selling them for gold? Is that right?

Someone guide me.

Do I even need gold? I never had much, 200 million is like 100x what I ever made on my own. I dont intend on needing to be a min/maxer either, I just want enough money to have fun; and that was always outside my reach before.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    basically you just buy the most of the highest tier gem with the best ratio at the moment and sell those for gold

200m is a ton of gold to have fun with
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Holy crap 63Million for Radiant Star Emeralds and they are insta selling.
    Incindium on
    basically you just buy the most of the highest tier gem with the best ratio at the moment and sell those for gold

Apparently the patch that changed something about this was today? That's what ya'll are talking about?

Should I wait for things to settle down, or try to take advantage of it now? And if so, whats the best gem?
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    i have made quite a bit of gold in the last 20 minutes
    edited May 2013

Apparently the patch that changed something about this was today? That's what ya'll are talking about?

Should I wait for things to settle down, or try to take advantage of it now? And if so, whats the best gem?
    well it's always been the best way to get gold for blizzbucks, but right now you can score some craaaazy deals if you're refreshing

at this very second amethyst and emerald are good choices
    edit: nevermind not amethyst anymore, emerald

if you do it right now you can get 500m before tax
    Big Red Tie on

well it's always been the best way to get gold for blizzbucks, but right now you can score some craaaazy deals if you're refreshing

at this very second amethyst and emerald are good choices
    edit: nevermind not amethyst anymore, emerald

ROFL I just turned $5 blizzbucks into $411 million gold via emeralds. D:

Welp

:lol:
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    I'm tempted to toss another $5 into my blizzard account and see if I can round it off to a billion :lol:

EDIT: Actually do people buy the gold? According to the maths I could turn that 411 million into $10 blizzbucks.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    what i'm wondering about is the RM gold price display. it shows .32 but i am doubting it's accurate
  • MatzMatz Registered User regular
    what i'm wondering about is the RM gold price display. it shows .32 but i am doubting it's accurate

Do you think the reality is that it has hit the floor already?
    1367739794ae.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I don't understand why gem prices are going up on the gold auction house. What ever, it will go back down to around 20m per gem in a few days.
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Flawless Squares are selling at a minimum of 6k.
    steam_sig.png
    Matz wrote: »

yeah, that's what i think is happening

i mean i have a stack up for .25, so if that's not selling, well...
    I just paid 10k a piece for a whole shitload of flawless squares... Please please let the Radiant Stars emeralds still be netting 50mill+ plus by the time I'm done...
  • SavantSavant Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »

Some bots must be going nuts after the patch because they changed around the price floor for gold without probably taking that into account. Diablo 3 flash crash!
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Flawless Squares are selling at a minimum of 6k.

And instant-selling too. Crazy.
  • mccartmccart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    They are at 100m right now, seems to be going up still. I put up some gold at .25 to see if it would go quickly but so far it hasn't.
    mccart on
    Steam | minecraft: salty_cat | Planetside2: SpareBattery
    gw2: Tom.2439 (Short Giraffe, Saltycat, Saltydog)
    edited May 2013
    mccart wrote: »
    They are at 100m right now, seems to be going up still. I put up some gold at .25 to see if it would go quickly but so far it hasn't.
    jeeesus christ

yeah those are inflated
    Big Red Tie on
    Yeah they're going nuts, the gem prices. If I had waited a bit I'd have made nearly twice what I did.

So weird. Too bad cash takes like 3 days to load to your account. I'd be buying a lot more right now.
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    Yeah they're going nuts, the gem prices. If I had waited a bit I'd have made nearly twice what I did.

So weird. Too bad cash takes like 3 days to load to your account. I'd be buying a lot more right now.
    i wouldn't trust emeralds to sell at that price

you can buy instantly with paypal, provided you don't get caught in processing
    Big Red Tie on
    Man I'm unsocketing my own emeralds off my gear and selling them if they are going to 100mil.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    This must be what it felt like to miss out on PAX badges.
    edited May 2013
    I am testing the waters on the emeralds

they're up to 1.8$ each now
    Big Red Tie on
    I hit a window where the emeralds were $.50 again and tried to buy some but got hit with processing, guess I could unsocket mine and see if they sell
  • MatzMatz Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    This must be what it felt like to miss out on PAX badges.

I feel like there is an awesome party with booze, drugs and naked supermodels going on and I'm not invited...
    1367739794ae.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • SpaffySpaffy Sweet Sassy Molassy! Registered User regular
    what the fuck is a blizzbuck?

fuck

help
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    I mean, it might not be as good as it looks-

oh shit rses sold fuuuuuuuuuuu
    102million insta sold radiant star emeralds... geez.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    mccart wrote: »
    I hit a window where the emeralds were $.50 again and tried to buy some but got hit with processing, guess I could unsocket mine and see if they sell

You absolutely should, yes.
    Yeah I don't have what some of ya'll have I'm sure, but I'm about to go through and unsocket everything.

I'm not sure if the lower level gems sell well at all, but we'll see!
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    Gaaaah, stuck in processing on buying a few emeralds. The recipe market for perfect star emeralds completely dried up for a little bit, so the only one selling was for hundreds of millions. I just got one for hundreds of thousands so I could quickly mash together the emeralds I had laying around and sell it off FAST. The price went down by millions while I was doing this.

Some folks must have left a bot on that went nuts and puked up all their money on gems. That's the only way I can make sense of the gem prices going totally parabolic like this.
    Savant on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    I just sold 4 RSEs for 112M each. What?
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    RSEs selling at 127m each now
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    I really thought that once the dollar value of the emeralds started to climb the gold price would stop going up, but that doesn't seem to be the case so far

I'm curious how much gold is leaving the economy with all these shenanigans in the form of AH fees
    mccart on
    everything is going to hell in a handbasket

got a 1240 1.78 chants for 2b
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I always assumed the 2 billion sell price cap on the AH was a result of that field being stored as a 32-bit integer, and them just rounding down because 2,147,483,647 is an awkward looking number. That's just an assumption on my part, but it would mean there is some (or a lot of?) technical work to be done to increase the maximum sale price and not just changing a 2 billion constant to 2 trillion in a couple places. Since they still haven't touched the cap, I get the feeling there's a good chance that this is the case.
    Patch 4.3 wrote:
    In patch 4.3 we’re changing the daily battleground (BG) to reward 100 conquest for a win (up from 25). In addition, every non-rated BG that you win will also give you 50 conquest.
    YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!
    RSE Peaked at 155mill and dropped to 80mill and have now climbed back up to ~100mill. Damn my greed for trying to get 175mill for mine.
    Regular star emeralds had a nutty price spike over course of the last few minutes too, and now they've dropped millions of dollars. The highest I saw was like 8 million per, and I rushed to make another one and sell the leftover I had on hand for around 6 million only a couple minutes later.

It really looks like someone just bought up tons and tons of these things more or less ignoring the price, drying up all the liquidity in the gem markets. Now that people have noticed and can respond it'll probably slowly recover to a more reasonable level. The RMAH gem prices have already spiked to being closer to on the level.
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular
    Watching the gem prices flux up and down is...

wow
    The lower level gem prices have spiked a bunch in response too, fortunately I bought a stack of flawless emeralds before they went up a bunch. I'm basically just liquidating my entire gem supply right now, and buy back later once things have calmed down.