Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Diablo 3] Reports of the Economy's death were greatly exaggerated

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    Well they're not doing a roll back that's interesting. Sounds like only a few people abused the system. You needed 1.7b gold and needed to abuse it. Not all of them were banned. There was this streamer who abused it a few times and made 14b gold illegitimately but he didn't abuse it and go buy items. He stopped playing the game and reported the bug and apologized. I don't think the apology should matter but hey he didn't actually take advantage of the bug by buying stuff. So I assume the only people who got banned were those who used the gold to buy stuff instead of reporting the bug and or waiting for their account to be temporarily locked, have the gold removed by Blizzard, and keep playing.

This whole situation is madness. _J_ does make an interesting point, all this does is speed up inflation. According to my calculations there has already been 50% inflation per month since the RMAH was introduced and that 50% does apply to the past several months. In december 30th 2012 gold was worth 25 cents per million. That's when it finally hit the price floor, it was above it for many months. Now we're at the new price floor or very close, that actually might be more than 50% inflation. Lol even without this whole cheating scandal the economy is still messed up.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    they were already a concentrated cesspool of dumb haha

anyway i'm surprised they're not doing a rollback. either they really have a way to track all the duped gold, or they just don't care

i'm probably going to be done with the auction house since all the decent items will be gone and prices will be fucked.

at least my wizard is swagged out though!

They just don't care.

They were faced with two options. One, they could simply rollback, eat the downtime, players eat the half-day of progress, and they could "perfectly" fix the problem. Like it never happened. Or two, they could ban a few people, take some gold from a few people, and pretend none of the follow-on effects matter. The former would probably lead to bigger headlines on tech/gaming sites, so they went with the latter. They really don't care that brt made a couple billion in a day (or however much), along with plenty of other players. And they're not going to try that hard to "fix" it.

As for the inflation, two days ago gems were going for about 20M/$, or about $0.05 per million. That should have represented some approximation of the actual price of gold. If, as of today, we've already hit the gold floor (which is $0.025 per million) then gold last half its value in a day. Over a span where, since it was a weekday, many/most players had no chance to respond.

At this point, honestly, I'll never hold any more gold than I need to immediately operate ever again. I'll sell on RMAH whenever possible, and convert my stash whenever it gets large enough to do so. Any amount I lose to fees will almost certainly be less than normal inflation, let alone any future rounds of "blizzard doesn't give a fuck" inflation.
    mcdermott on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    Sweet! Had an IK armor and Inna helm drop. Too bad they're worthless. :P

I like the changes. Now improve the itemization and we're good to go.

For at least half a year that is.
    fe6roy500x80_zps3a6a94b6.jpg
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Only played my archon for a bit of act 1 last night, but I am very pleased with the new density and xp. Farming is a whole lot more fun, especially with more mighty blows and massacre bonuses!

Regardless of the AH insanity, my gold is worth just as much to NPC's (crafting) and I seem to be looting quite a bit more of it, so overall 1.0.8 is a huge win for making the game fun again.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Hmm. With no rollback and the gold dupers getting banned I think that maybe the real winners here are going to be the people who sold gems and stuff to the gold dupers. I think I made maybe around 800m yesterday and it looks like I'll get to keep it. Not sure exactly how much gold made its way out into the economy but I'm probably going to be better off than the average person. We'll have to see where prices settle after things come back online. At the very least I'm probably not going to worry about crafting costs for a while.
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    see, what i'm worried about is that they might just ban the dupers but not trace the gold they offloaded
    I'd like it to come back and I somehow have BRT's new Chant's.
    from my cold, dead hands
    Big Red Tie on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Hmm. With no rollback and the gold dupers getting banned I think that maybe the real winners here are going to be the people who sold gems and stuff to the gold dupers. I think I made maybe around 800m yesterday and it looks like I'll get to keep it. Not sure exactly how much gold made its way out into the economy but I'm probably going to be better off than the average person. We'll have to see where prices settle after things come back online. At the very least I'm probably not going to worry about crafting costs for a while.

Pretty much how I feel about it. I think I made off like a bandit depending on what gold is actually worth after the dust settles. Another problem I can think of is repopulating the AH with actually decent items. Since the dupers bought all the good ones with their fake money, there's probably going to be a lot of trash items left on the AH and nothing else for like a week.
    KoopahTroopah on
  • Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan Registered User regular
    Ok, now that the main game is down, let's talk about the secondary game, fashion, and what it means for the tertiary game, killing.

Assuming that it is actually a part of the next patch, the upcoming itemization patch 2.0 is going to make a big splash in Legend pieces. Ones that I'm interested in seeing after it hits?

Beckon Sail- Good all-around cloak
    Steady Strikers- Alternative to Lacuni's if you don't need the Movement speed
    Magefist- Volcano Barb and Fire WD's wet dream
    Thunder God's Vigor- Make Barb's AoE ability even more ridiculous
    Boj Anglers- IAS on boots
    Moonlight Ward- Wizard's "Arcane Orbit" in an item
    Bul Kathos' Wedding Band- Health siphon already isn't bad, bring up everything else and it's a looker
    Odyn Son- Same as TG's, but everyone can use it
    Sledge Fist- Look at that chance to stun

With Sledge Fist, I can see Monks being almost as good at CC as a CM Wiz if they get a near 50% stun roll.

Odyn Son, assuming the damage on the chain lightning isn't laughable, is going to see a lot of use by all four of the melee option classes. It'd go great with a Sleet Storm wiz, Fire Bats doc, and pretty much any Barb or Monk build, due to the fact that it's "when you hit them" based instead of "while attacking".

Moonlight Ward kinda fits the same bill, except a Strafe DH would get some use out of it too.

I can totally see a Volcano Barb wearing Sankis, Odyn Son, TG's Vigor, Moonlight Ward, and Magefist being a powerful thing in the future.
    "Never Hit"
    Ok, now that the main game is down, let's talk about the secondary game, fashion, and what it means for the tertiary game, killing.

Assuming that it is actually a part of the next patch, the upcoming itemization patch 2.0 is going to make a big splash in Legend pieces. Ones that I'm interested in seeing after it hits?

Bul Kathos' Wedding Band- Health siphon already isn't bad, bring up everything else and it's a looker

With Sledge Fist, I can see Monks being almost as good at CC as a CM Wiz if they get a near 50% stun roll.

Odyn Son, assuming the damage on the chain lightning isn't laughable, is going to see a lot of use by all four of the melee option classes. It'd go great with a Sleet Storm wiz, Fire Bats doc, and pretty much any Barb or Monk build, due to the fact that it's "when you hit them" based instead of "while attacking".

Moonlight Ward kinda fits the same bill, except a Strafe DH would get some use out of it too.

I can totally see a Volcano Barb wearing Sankis, Odyn Son, TG's Vigor, Moonlight Ward, and Magefist being a powerful thing in the future.

Are there any real details for the itemization patch yet besides blues posting about how awesome it's going to be?
    So I have been doing act 1 weeping hollows and fields of misery & halls of agony 1&2. I like weeping hollows and fields of misery but halls of agony 1&2 kinda suck so I'm gonna stop. Anyone know any good act 2 zones? I'm thinking of doing storm halls and the ones with a billion shadow demons over and over. Western channels is suppose to be good but it takes too long to get there.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    It will certainly change gearing and will allow neat items to be expensive. Going to be very interesting.
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
    edited May 2013

Are there any real details for the itemization patch yet besides blues posting about how awesome it's going to be?

It is in their pontificating that they give out minute details. Any Legendary will be able to drop from their minimum (Current) item level, up to ilvl 63. Special effects are being looked at for balancing. Most stats on an item will be scaleable but there will be some that will not, like 1.0% to Crit items.

So, not really, but a tinsy tiny bit.

EDIT: Oh, and there is a thought about putting in more legendaries. Talk of a Wiz Helm that would allow you to have two Hydras keeps getting passed about, so stuff like that. (Give me one that makes Frozen Storm on Ice Armor last for the entire duration and I'd be happy.)
    Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"

It is in their pontificating that they give out minute details. Any Legendary will be able to drop from their minimum (Current) item level, up to ilvl 63. Special effects are being looked at for balancing. Most stats on an item will be scaleable but there will be some that will not, like 1.0% to Crit items.

So wait...what? They're going to make scaled versions of items with comparable stats depending on iLvl? ...for every legendary/set? I guess it makes sense that it's taking them a long time to do this.
    Azurewrath and Wizardspike need random rolls. Pronto!

So wait...what? They're going to make scaled versions of items with comparable stats depending on iLvl? ...for every legendary/set? I guess it makes sense that it's taking them a long time to do this.

Yup. There's confusion on what that means for crafted set items on the side of players, but that's the general talk from devs.
    "Never Hit"
    see, what i'm worried about is that they might just ban the dupers but not trace the gold they offloaded

Apparently along with turning off the AH they also locked people's gold to their accounts so they couldn't offload everything. That should make tracing a bit easier.
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular

Apparently along with turning off the AH they also locked people's gold to their accounts so they couldn't offload everything. That should make tracing a bit easier.
    i think that some people were able to offload gold before this happened, though

unless their IP ban works and hits all the accounts they transferred to
    So I'm just curious if someone who was banned makes a new account and logs on to the same computer with the same IP will they get banned again? I've heard rumors Blizzard banning computers & IP's and I don't know how much merit is there to that.
    They may be able to get their secondary accounts by tracking large, one-way transfers. Oh you gave 5b to this person for nothing in return... how about we ban that account as well. That and the MAC/IP addresses. I don't doubt that they have the tools to nuke the majority of the duped gold.
    sumwar wrote: »
    So I'm just curious if someone who was banned makes a new account and logs on to the same computer with the same IP will they get banned again? I've heard rumors Blizzard banning computers & IP's and I don't know how much merit is there to that.
    it's not a rumor, this literally happened to inigo

he had a ton of accounts and they all got banned because they were played from his IP

no doubt if he made a new account and played it without changing his ip it would get banned
    They may be able to get their secondary accounts by tracking large, one-way transfers. Oh you gave 5b to this person for nothing in return... how about we ban that account as well. That and the MAC/IP addresses. I don't doubt that they have the tools to nuke the majority of the duped gold.

Yeah, but they'll never get rid of the billions and billions that went to guys like brt.

Really they need to ban brt, too.

And give me his wand.
    boys

there's enough wand for everyone
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular
    Well, a full Act 1 clear(from cath lvl1 to standing in act 2)on mp4 got me about 1.5 paragon levels(36-38), 6 legendaries(4 brimstonned, 2 decent wizardspikes), and about even on gold after crafting.

On to act 2!
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think they took the most sensible route with what they decided.

I understand the frustration with inflation; but as already said...it just sped up the problem by a bit. The problem was already there. Feel free to get mad at blizzard about that, because it was an easily predictable result of the system they put in place for the AH and the RMAH. Rolling back would have pissed off a lot of players not involved in any of this (keep in mind you had to be online, in the middle of the day, on a work day, at a specific time and be aware what was even happening with the gems; only in one region) and only delayed the inevitable by maybe a few weeks or months.

If anything, hopefully this fiasco will light a fire over there and get them working on a better solution to the problem of an AH built around an unlimited resource, without any meaningful way to remove that resource from the economy and then having a RMAH that interacts with that ever inflating economy giving real hard incentive to people to abuse it for real gain instead of your usual virtual gain.

EDIT: Also, there's no doubt that a good chunk of change entered the market via the dupe but I suspect more than folks think was still sitting in the dupers accounts when the AH went down with no real way to disperse it, which potentially mitigated the effect by some degree. A bunch of random duders like me that suddenly has a billion gold isn't going to really amount to anything in the long run, given prices already from what I've seen from some casual browsing in the AH.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    Oh, and my question got lost in the duping nonsense yesterday, so before I go back and start buying gems again to replace what I sold...

Whats the story on stats right now? What do you want to aim for? When I played last, I don't think 1.0.3 had even come out; folks were stacking like Intelligence? for resists? and then something something crit?

I really don't know, but I'd like to. Is there a guide somewhere that makes it easy to understand? Is it a question that is easily answered?

The main classes I'm curious about, currently, are Witch Doctor and Wizard. Is a pet based Witch Doctor actually viable now? I know that was supposed to be patched and improved awhile back; because that's all I ever wanted with the WD. I don't care if it's not the most efficient, I just want to know if it is playable because way back when, it wasn't.

And I don't even know what I was doing with my wizard. I seem to recall a lot of ice nova and then some big arcane bomb thing? I don't know. :rotate:
    The Dude With Herpes on
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »
    HexDex wrote: »
    I was getting 1101% bonus exp at 5 valor stacks in a full game at MP9. Good times!

Does the helm ruby/hellfire ring also get "multiplied"? Because there isn't a huge amount of difference between say 1100% bonus exp and 1070% bonus exp if you take out a helm ruby (or whatever).

It gets multiplied by the NV stacks.

I just got 5 stacks at MP8 solo. I am at 797.5% bonus exp. If I take my helm off (31%) I go down to 743% bonus exp. So My net loss is actually 54~%.

If I take off my hellfire ring only (35%) I go down to 736.3% so a net loss of 61% bonus exp.

Taking them both off drops me to 682%. So 66% bonus is worth 110~% actual bonus exp.

This scales even better as you add MP / Players.

tl:dr Keep your exp boosts kiddies, they are still awesome all the way to 100.
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: Caretta#1196
    i feel like we won't really know the direct impact of the gold duping itself until the AH is back up, since it basically comes down to blizzard's ability to track the duped gold/dupers and get rid of them

but there's also some other ways the economy is affected beyond the gold itself, one of which is that many of the dupers used their gold to buyout and max bid any decent item they could find. now that they're banned, these items have been taken out of the economy

not only will there be increased supply of gold to compete with, but there is a significantly decreased supply of good items now
    Archon is so much fun right now in multiplayer. I kill faster than those useless DHs and even Monks die more frequently than me. It helps that my wand has life per kill. Your wand doesn't have that, does it?
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh, and my question got lost in the duping nonsense yesterday, so before I go back and start buying gems again to replace what I sold...

Whats the story on stats right now? What do you want to aim for? When I played last, I don't think 1.0.3 had even come out; folks were stacking like Intelligence? for resists? and then something something crit?

I really don't know, but I'd like to. Is there a guide somewhere that makes it easy to understand? Is it a question that is easily answered?

The main classes I'm curious about, currently, are Witch Doctor and Wizard. Is a pet based Witch Doctor actually viable now? I know that was supposed to be patched and improved awhile back; because that's all I ever wanted with the WD. I don't care if it's not the most efficient, I just want to know if it is playable because way back when, it wasn't.

And I don't even know what I was doing with my wizard. I seem to recall a lot of ice nova and then some big arcane bomb thing? I don't know. :rotate:

Here's my WD : http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tokbirn-1803/hero/12691

The grasp of the dead rune that I'm using has a 10% chance to summon zombie dogs(up to 3) when something dies in it, so not 100% uptime on the dogs, but I like it since I don't need to use a skill slot just for the dogs. As far as stats, int, crit chance(and damage), and increased attack speed are the big damage modifiers. I use a bit of posion resist too for reflect damage mobs, but they're not as big of an issue anymore. Pretty much all I do is come up on a group, drop grasp of the dead in the middle, spirit walk to the middle, pop soul harvest(for the damage boost), and unleash baers until everything is dead.

With my current gear I'm farming MP4 with little issue, I do die on occasion due to stuff you can't really control(last one I walked into a room, and got vortexed by an elite right onto one of the big fire traps in halls of agony--ouch). Sadly the AH is still down, I'm curious how that's going to look when it comes back up.
    Stinge on
    for witch doctors, you want to focus on crit and crit damage as your damage stats. due to the way their resource works, attack speed tends to not scaled well as you'll go oom

however for wizards, it depends a lot on your build what stats you want
    boys

Oh myyyyyyyyy [/takei]
    mcdermott wrote: »
    boys

Oh myyyyyyyyy [/takei]
    i got it at 1d12h on buyout, too
    right before the news hit
    edited May 2013

Info on WD Pet changes.

Build guide for pets focusing on Fetish Sycophants.

Link to proposed update for 1.08 to above build.

EDIT: Note- I personally don't like all of the proposed change for the pet build. Rain of Toads and Acid Rain with Bad Medicine give you a large area of reduced damage output against your pets, great for keeping your pets alive. If you were able to somehow gear for Bears at the same time you're built for pets, it is probably a better bet than Toads.

But then, I don't have much hands on time with a Doc, so what do I know.
    Garret Dorigan on
    "Never Hit"
    That 'proposed' update to that sycophant build looks pretty much identical to what I mainly played on my WD before giving up entirely due to pet scaling at launch.

So that's awesome. I'll have to give it a go. Once I can get gems. :lol:
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    rain of toads is the only choice after the itemization patch, cause it attacks at a rate of 1.5

you're probably gonna use a gidbinn and the sycophants passive so it helps a lot
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    Archon is so much fun right now in multiplayer. I kill faster than those useless DHs and even Monks die more frequently than me. It helps that my wand has life per kill. Your wand doesn't have that, does it?

The current classes are Barbarian, Witch Doctor, Monk, Demon Hunter, and Archon.
    Beadvised.jpg
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    not only will there be increased supply of gold to compete with, but there is a significantly decreased supply of good items now

Well, people wanted an item sink...
    So I am finding alkaizer runs are not that horrible. For act 1 I do fields of misery & weeping hollows. For act 2 I do storm halls & I think it's called shadow depths. I even do the one on the left. The 3 waygates at Zoltun Kulle's entrance.
    _J_ wrote: »

Well, people wanted an item sink...
    blizzard provides
    Why is there a significantly decreased supply of good items now? Did this patch do something to drop rates?
    - FFXI.png Kingshand