Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Diablo 3] Reports of the Economy's death were greatly exaggerated

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    Why is there a significantly decreased supply of good items now? Did this patch do something to drop rates?

I think that was said in respect to the GAH, or well the AH in general.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    But what changed there? People were talking that way before the dupe stuff; I just don't understand since I haven't been around.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    But what changed there? People were talking that way before the dupe stuff; I just don't understand since I haven't been around.

Were they? I don't think so, I think if anything drop rates of good(read:all) items have increased dramatically since release.

The supply of items on AH is going to take a hit because the gents who made duped gold also bought every item that was on GAH that was on sale for more than 100mil. Meaning that all that's left is sub par versions of the items. Since there isn't going to be a rollback and those people are just getting banned, those items will get banned along with them. Thus reducing the amount of "top-tier gear" on the AH.
    KoopahTroopah on
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Which is amazing and insane all wrapped up into one. It totally makes sense but wow. If it does turn out to be the way of the AH, then you can make it big if you have any slightly worse versions of those items on hand.

edit: AH still offline if anyone is curious.
    shadowane on
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This is all quite absurd.

Previously, the overall sentiment was that the AH ruined the game. It made D3 about gold farming to buy gear, rather than obtaining one's own gear. The new crafting patterns were praised as a step in the right direction, since they moved focus to self-generated gear rather than shopping.

Then the duping exploit happens, the economy goes to hell, and nigh-everyone is bitching because this will make it more difficult to buy gear off the AH. This either because of gold inflation, or because the top-tier items were purchased and removed via account banning.

Can someone explain to me, using sock puppets and small words, how those ideas go together? It seems like this duping exploit, and the fallout, would be praised by the "BOO AH!" folks, who seemed to be the vocal majority. I can understand the 1% complaining about the AH mess...but most players ought to either be unaffected, or happy that the AH shat itself and became an ineffective means of obtaining top-tier items.

Edit: Right now, it seems like the real issue is "people like to bitch about things." So when the Ah is working, people bitch about the AH. When the AH breaks, people bitch.
    _J_ on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of when I should buy some upgrades. My barbarian is worth around 200m maybe a little less. I have 4.1b gold and 51 blizzbucks which is an additional 2b gold if I can buy gold at .25 cents per 10m. I want to keep some gold for flipping so I'm thinking of spending 2b-3b on gear. Moldran (a twitch.tv/youtube barbarian) says 500m gold is enough to do mp10 at only 10% slower farming speed than his 20b-30b barbarian. The only problem I have with the build is building fury in the beginning is a bit of a pain. I also am thinking of waiting until 1.09 when the new legendaries are buffed and they make rares 4X rarer but much better stats which will make it easier to find good items.

A lot of people do not pick up certain rares because the odds of them being good is so low, I'm glad they're eventually going to address this.
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

Previously, the overall sentiment was that the AH ruined the game. It made D3 about gold farming to buy gear, rather than obtaining one's own gear. The new crafting patterns were praised as a step in the right direction, since they moved focus to self-generated gear rather than shopping.

Then the duping exploit happens, the economy goes to hell, and nigh-everyone is bitching because this will make it more difficult to buy gear off the AH. This either because of gold inflation, or because the top-tier items were purchased and removed via account banning.

Can someone explain to me, using sock puppets and small words, how those ideas go together? It seems like this duping exploit, and the fallout, would be praised by the "BOO AH!" folks, who seemed to be the vocal majority. I can understand the 1% complaining about the AH mess...but most players ought to either be unaffected, or happy that the AH shat itself and became an ineffective means of obtaining top-tier items.

Edit: Right now, it seems like the real issue is "people like to bitch about things." So when the Ah is working, people bitch about the AH. When the AH breaks, people bitch.

There's also the thought that it's different groups of people. Regardless of what people think, Diablo 3 seems massively successful with lots of people playing. Therefore, there is one group of people that hates the AH and is vocal about it. However, there was another group of people that love it. Now, with this massive fuckup, the latter group is complaining while the former is happy. Plus, people bitching on the internet is always louder than people being happy on it.
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

Well, is it the same people?

I think at least part of this is factions within the community with different or even opposing priorities.
    sumwar wrote: »
    I'm thinking of when I should buy some upgrades. My barbarian is worth around 200m maybe a little less. I have 4.1b gold and 51 blizzbucks which is an additional 2b gold if I can buy gold at .25 cents per 10m. I want to keep some gold for flipping so I'm thinking of spending 2b-3b on gear. Moldran (a twitch.tv/youtube barbarian) says 500m gold is enough to do mp10 at only 10% slower farming speed than his 20b-30b barbarian. The only problem I have with the build is building fury in the beginning is a bit of a pain. I also am thinking of waiting until 1.09 when the new legendaries are buffed and they make rares 4X rarer but much better stats which will make it easier to find good items.

A lot of people do not pick up certain rares because the odds of them being good is so low, I'm glad they're eventually going to address this.

I would wait for the itemization patch to spend $$$. You do not want to blow all your gold now, and then have nothing to spend if the next patch significantly changes the ideal gear configurations for your Barb.

Shop during off hours and try to snipe underpriced items, of course. But it's likely wise to hold onto your assets until later. That is the general rule for items in video games anyway.
    mcdermott wrote: »

I think at least part of this is factions within the community with different or even opposing priorities.

The volume of posts suggested, to me, that there was some overlap. It could be that this is just the pro-AH crowd bitching.
    edited May 2013

The volume of posts suggested, to me, that there was some overlap. It could be that this is just the pro-AH crowd bitching.

I don't really feel like I'm bitching, I'm more just explaining what I think is gonna happen. Considering that all I do now with D3 is play the RMAH game with the gems arbitrage. Now that game is somewhat tarnished, and all that's left is the real farm game that everyone else is playing and I very rarely want to play. Not really mad about it, just pointing out that items on the AH are or will-be affected by the servers not getting rolled back.

However, I do believe that this is generally in the favorable opinion. Most players didn't like the AH in the first place. I view it more as a way to unlock other games(SC2, Hearthstone, etc...) by playing this game as opposed to a way of making money.
    KoopahTroopah on
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    In the most simple sock puppet fashion... there is no other option with which to play the game. The AH is everything whether you like it or not. So those people complaining are logical in their complaints within the realm of Diablo 3, but not when taking into account the actual logical step from a real life perspective, which is to stop playing a broken game.

If Diablo 3 were a basic commodity like food and/or fuel, these folks would have an argument. Since it isn't, they should just quit and do something better with their time. I could give them suggestions, but they've never contacted me. Probably because I don't play Diablo 3.

I do find all of this hilarious though - so in that sense it does provide me with some value for my gaming dollar.

I don't really feel like I'm bitching, I'm more just explaining what I think is gonna happen. Considering that all I do now with D3 is play the RMAH game with the gems arbitrage. Now that game is somewhat tarnished, and all that's left is the real farm game that everyone else is playing and I very rarely want to play. Not really mad about it, just pointing out that items on the AH are or will-be affected by the servers not getting rolled back.

However, I do believe that this is generally in the favorable opinion. Most players didn't like the AH in the first place. I view it more as a way to unlock other games(SC2, Hearthstone, etc...) by playing this game as opposed to a way of making money.

I did not take anyone in this thread to be bitching. I was talking about the official forums, and a bit of the reddit community.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    A lot of people aren't great fans of the way the AH has changed the game, but they recognize rightly that they have no truly sensible alternative, so they feel forced to use a tool they don't like. Personally, I think the AH has made getting what you want a little bit too simple, but at the same time I would never-ever want to go back to the days of trade chat, so I'm a bit torn and I'm not sure what I would want instead.

It seems pretty obvious that people who already are in a reluctant truce with the AH are not thrilled when it becomes even more obnoxious to use the system they didn't want to use in the first place.
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    I'm bitching because I missed out of massive profits due to being stuck at work. I could have easily doubled or tripled my gold by selling off a few radient stars at 150mil per star. So much lost opportunity though I am very glad that I kept most of my d3 wealth in blizzard bucks which are protected against inflation. I'm going to try to move as much gold as I can even at 2.5c per mil into blizzard buck as I expect the inflation will only continue until 1.09.

I'm still not sure where all the gold was coming from before the dupe exploit. You only make 200k/hr max in gold while playing while a single 2b sale removes 300,000,000 from the game. That's 1,500 hours worth of farming just gone. Unless there's major botting going on, I would expect gold to become increasingly more valuable and not less. Since there is no item sink except for people leaving the game without selling their stuff, I understand why good items constantly get cheaper but I would think that the gold/dollar exchange rate would stabilize at some point.

Were they? I don't think so, I think if anything drop rates of good(read:all) items have increased dramatically since release.

The supply of items on AH is going to take a hit because the gents who made duped gold also bought every item that was on GAH that was on sale for more than 100mil. Meaning that all that's left is sub par versions of the items. Since there isn't going to be a rollback and those people are just getting banned, those items will get banned along with them. Thus reducing the amount of "top-tier gear" on the AH.

Oh, that makes sense. I worded what I said poorly, I didn't mean people were bitching way before the dupe stuff happened, just that I thought people were bitching about it related to 1.0.8 prior to that stuff happening. I could have just been misreading the situation.

But eh. Probably due to just coming back to the game I don't really feel a lot of loss that all of those 'top tier' items are potentially gone due to bannings and such. It's not like there's some cap on item drops, stock will be replenished in short order and life will go on.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    Scosglen wrote: »
    A lot of people aren't great fans of the way the AH has changed the game, but they recognize rightly that they have no truly sensible alternative, so they feel forced to use a tool they don't like. Personally, I think the AH has made getting what you want a little bit too simple, but at the same time I would never-ever want to go back to the days of trade chat, so I'm a bit torn and I'm not sure what I would want instead.

It seems pretty obvious that people who already are in a reluctant truce with the AH are not thrilled when it becomes even more obnoxious to use the system they didn't want to use in the first place.

I agree with your assessment of trade chat.

I like the AH. I wonder what people who dislike the AH would prefer.

As someone with no real dice in the game...I think what they're doing with Account Bound stuff should have been done out of the gate. Make the AH great for materials, gems, what have you; but make the best stuff (maybe not in all slots) Account Bound; but make the free for all stuff competitive on its own if you can't access the BoA stuff.

There'd still be a market for your general equipment, people who don't need to have 'the best', but are happy with pretty damn good (i.e. LFR gear in WoW is more than good enough for most content, but some people want the 'best' stuff and work for it)

Then to keep prices from getting so inflated (at least so fast) have some significant gold sinks where people can see them. I've got two pairs of wings now that are pretty rad from the D3 CE and the SCII HotS CE; make stuff like that buyable, for a fortune. Make some single purchase ones like that, make it a billion gold. But then make more consumable gold sinks, crafting materials and such. That way you could get them from a vendor or get them from the AH, but the vendor access would control prices somewhat on the AH and mitigate inflation to a degree. Hell, make any piece of gear upgradable to BoA, for a steep price. Make that ilvl 63 item an ilvl 64 by paying a billion gold, it just gets bound to your account. People will still want to seek out well itemized rares and such from other players in order to 'bind' them to themselves.

The AH has a place and removes a lot of problems that existed in D2 with trading and currencies, and black markets. It just was a piss-poor decision to make it a free for all out of the gate. There should have been more systems to control it that could be tweaked and improved upon, already in place. But at launch there was nothing.
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Not directed at any one person in particular, but for people who are angry about "missing out" on the gem bubble, or got fat and rich off of it-- people duping billions of gold were the only ones buying gems at those ridiculous inflated prices. You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I'm not even mad at the dupers. Sure they deserved to be banned unless they actually accidentally did it once and didn't spend the duped gold (which is theoretically possible since it was so easy to dupe). Blizzard messed up, it's their fault. It's not like someone wrote a computer program that allowed them to dupe, it was so easy it was in the game.
    Not directed at any one person in particular, but for people who are angry about "missing out" on the gem bubble, or got fat and rich off of it-- people duping billions of gold were the only ones buying gems at those ridiculous inflated prices. You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.

How incredibly judgmental of you!

The gem boom started happening well before there was any hint or reports of duping. Initially most people (including here) thought it was just bots gone haywire and not knowing how to handle some of the 1.0.8 changes; and who doesn't want to screw over bots? I doubt many, or any, folks were thinking "who cares if this is all completely illegitimate, with the possibility of me getting banned, I want mine!"

Once reports of duping started popping up folks did stop.

But acting like it's unreasonable to want to have taken part in something like that is pretty condescending.
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I actually was wondering if Blizzard themselves were doing it to try and remove the high level gems from the game in some half baked attempt to fix the economy... The gold dup exploit did make more sense once I heard about it when the AH was taken down.
    Incindium on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    If Blizzard finds that the economy has been massively inflated and they can't remove the gold from the economy all they have to do is inflate the amount of gold that is dropped by monsters and the economy will stabilize again. Sure people will have 'more' gold than before, but the purchasing power of the average player will be back to normal.

I would also like to be smug about predicting the floor moving on gold to combat the gem currency.
    Ethea on
    Korror wrote: »
    I'm bitching because I missed out of massive profits due to being stuck at work. I could have easily doubled or tripled my gold by selling off a few radient stars at 150mil per star. So much lost opportunity though I am very glad that I kept most of my d3 wealth in blizzard bucks which are protected against inflation. I'm going to try to move as much gold as I can even at 2.5c per mil into blizzard buck as I expect the inflation will only continue until 1.09.

I'm still not sure where all the gold was coming from before the dupe exploit. You only make 200k/hr max in gold while playing while a single 2b sale removes 300,000,000 from the game. That's 1,500 hours worth of farming just gone. Unless there's major botting going on, I would expect gold to become increasingly more valuable and not less. Since there is no item sink except for people leaving the game without selling their stuff, I understand why good items constantly get cheaper but I would think that the gold/dollar exchange rate would stabilize at some point.

There is major botting going on.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So regarding the gold dup bug... I'm assuming someone found out about it on the PTR and didn't report it and then proceeded to abuse the crap out of it as soon as the patch went live on the main servers?
    Incindium on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So regarding the gold dup bug... I'm assuming someone found out about it on the PTR and didn't report it and then proceeded to abuse the crap out of it as soon as the patch went live on the main servers?

It's an overflow error with the new gold cap on the RMAH so no, no testing on the PTR. Someone most likely found it by accident.
    steam_sig.png
  • MatzMatz Registered User regular
    So I didn't get to play last night but I jumped on this morning before work to have a little blast in a random Act 1 public game. Joined an MP8 with a CM/WW wizard, a firebats WD and a WW barb. We ripped it up and the exp gain was ridiculous... I was only in for about 10 minutes but still.
    1367739794ae.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular

I know you didn't mean me but I made all my gold yesterday before the duping was known

by the time I found out I'd already spent most of my gold
  • darklite_xdarklite_x I can't find Turner and HoochRegistered User regular
    Nice. Haven't been keeping up on this thread, but I guess you guys are all dupers now huh? You duping dupers. What a bunch of dupers.
    0b3ZR.jpg
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37
  • RoloRolo Registered User regular
    Holy fuck Festering Woods is so much fun now.

Just people to explode absolutely everywhere.

• MatzMatz Registered User regular
    Duping all the time... :)
    1367739794ae.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • RoloRolo Registered User regular
    Also did the itemization changes happen in this patch? Are there any notes on exactly what values were changes?
    Matz wrote: »
    Duping all the time... :)

Still one of my favorites ever.

And I never even played wow.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    No, the itemization stuff isn't in yet.

Believe me, that's going to be the headline feature of whatever patch it graces.
    Beadvised.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    no itemization yet

can't wait for that shit
  • StingeStinge Registered User regular

How incredibly judgmental of you!

The gem boom started happening well before there was any hint or reports of duping. Initially most people (including here) thought it was just bots gone haywire and not knowing how to handle some of the 1.0.8 changes; and who doesn't want to screw over bots? I doubt many, or any, folks were thinking "who cares if this is all completely illegitimate, with the possibility of me getting banned, I want mine!"

Once reports of duping started popping up folks did stop.

But acting like it's unreasonable to want to have taken part in something like that is pretty condescending.

The first I heard about the dupe was at least an hour after I sold my(only) radiant star. I will admit to sitting on the AH page, drinking, and watching the prices flux up and down for at least an hour last night. IIRC Radiant Star Rubies were over 200m when the AH was taken down.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Unfortunately that's probably another 3 months away, given the rate of their patches.
    Beadvised.jpg
  • SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    They should just burn the whole AH to the ground, I think that would bring me back to the game.

As someone with no real dice in the game...I think what they're doing with Account Bound stuff should have been done out of the gate. Make the AH great for materials, gems, what have you; but make the best stuff (maybe not in all slots) Account Bound; but make the free for all stuff competitive on its own if you can't access the BoA stuff.

There'd still be a market for your general equipment, people who don't need to have 'the best', but are happy with pretty damn good (i.e. LFR gear in WoW is more than good enough for most content, but some people want the 'best' stuff and work for it)

Then to keep prices from getting so inflated (at least so fast) have some significant gold sinks where people can see them. I've got two pairs of wings now that are pretty rad from the D3 CE and the SCII HotS CE; make stuff like that buyable, for a fortune. Make some single purchase ones like that, make it a billion gold. But then make more consumable gold sinks, crafting materials and such. That way you could get them from a vendor or get them from the AH, but the vendor access would control prices somewhat on the AH and mitigate inflation to a degree. Hell, make any piece of gear upgradable to BoA, for a steep price. Make that ilvl 63 item an ilvl 64 by paying a billion gold, it just gets bound to your account. People will still want to seek out well itemized rares and such from other players in order to 'bind' them to themselves.

The AH has a place and removes a lot of problems that existed in D2 with trading and currencies, and black markets. It just was a piss-poor decision to make it a free for all out of the gate. There should have been more systems to control it that could be tweaked and improved upon, already in place. But at launch there was nothing.

Still not sure what the problem is with the AH.

- It solved the problem of item trading in D2 being a pain in the ass.
    - It makes gold a valuable form of currency, instead of having a market based upon SOJs.
    - It provides efficient access to the specific gear an individual wants.

I think Account Bound items are problematic, since they remove some utility from the item and, in a sense, devalue it as a result. When I buy something off the AH I can use it, but also consider it an investment, once I hit a particular loot threshold. With account bound items they lose any utility as trading items. So I dump gold into crafting them, and that gold is effectively lost if I ever upgrade the item.
  • Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Registered User regular
    Sirson wrote: »
    They should just burn the whole AH to the ground, I think that would bring me back to the game.

You and a whole shabooty of others as well.
    steam_sig.png