Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Diablo 3] Reports of the Economy's death were greatly exaggerated

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Not directed at any one person in particular, but for people who are angry about "missing out" on the gem bubble, or got fat and rich off of it-- people duping billions of gold were the only ones buying gems at those ridiculous inflated prices. You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.

Casting moral judgment upon persons who exploit bugs in video games seems absurd, to me.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    Sirson wrote: »
    They should just burn the whole AH to the ground, I think that would bring me back to the game.
    Why?
    They should just burn the whole AH to the ground, I think that would bring me back to the game.
    Why?

Because other people gaining gear efficiently somehow impacts his single player experience.
  • RozRoz Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    If Blizzard finds that the economy has been massively inflated and they can't remove the gold from the economy all they have to do is inflate the amount of gold that is dropped by monsters and the economy will stabilize again. Sure people will have 'more' gold than before, but the purchasing power of the average player will be back to normal.

I would also like to be smug about predicting the floor moving on gold to combat the gem currency.

Unless Blizzard also changes the values of the maximum bids on the AH and changes the % cut that Blizzard takes, your solution just moves the AH closer to irrelevancy.
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    This is all quite absurd.

Previously, the overall sentiment was that the AH ruined the game. It made D3 about gold farming to buy gear, rather than obtaining one's own gear. The new crafting patterns were praised as a step in the right direction, since they moved focus to self-generated gear rather than shopping.

Then the duping exploit happens, the economy goes to hell, and nigh-everyone is bitching because this will make it more difficult to buy gear off the AH. This either because of gold inflation, or because the top-tier items were purchased and removed via account banning.

Can someone explain to me, using sock puppets and small words, how those ideas go together? It seems like this duping exploit, and the fallout, would be praised by the "BOO AH!" folks, who seemed to be the vocal majority. I can understand the 1% complaining about the AH mess...but most players ought to either be unaffected, or happy that the AH shat itself and became an ineffective means of obtaining top-tier items.

Edit: Right now, it seems like the real issue is "people like to bitch about things." So when the Ah is working, people bitch about the AH. When the AH breaks, people bitch.

Not everyone who praised the crafting patterns thinks that the AH ruined the game and that there should be ONLY self-generated gear. There's a place for crafting and a place for a stable, common currency to use to trade with other players.
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    How incredibly judgmental of you!
    You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.

You have completely misjudged my sentiment. I didn't include those words for funsies. Obviously if you didn't know at the time what was going on you couldn't have known it was dirty gold. I'm mostly talking about people who feel like they "missed out" or are now smug about their profits. I'm not saying people should throw their new wealth away and repent, but simply realize that they were the direct beneficiary of cheaters.

Scosglen on
    edited May 2013
    Casting moral judgment upon persons who exploit bugs in video games seems absurd, to me.

In an online environment where your actions impact the gameplay of other people, damaging an economy through exploitation for the sake of personal profit is not cool. How is it absurd to judge people who place their personal benefit above everyone else, at everyone else's expense? I'm not balling my fists in rage here and in the scheme of things it's a pretty irrelevant thing, but duping is not exactly noble. The only reason I said anything at all is that some people seem to have a slightly myopic perspective on the "opportunity" that was presented yesterday.

Scosglen on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    D2 also had crafting, but the items were tradable

i'm not a fan of account bound items in diablo, but i feel like they were appropriate considering the circumstances
    How incredibly judgmental of you!
    You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.

You have completely misjudged my sentiment. I didn't include those words for funsies. Obviously if you didn't know at the time what was going on you couldn't have known it was dirty gold. I'm mostly talking about people who feel like they "missed out" or are now smug about their profits. I'm not saying people should throw their new wealth away, but simply realize that they were the direct beneficiary of cheaters.
    hey i'm not any more smug about these profits than i was about my other profits
    Big Red Tie on
    Allow me to be crystal clear that if you were engaging in gem flipping yesterday and still didn't know what was going on with duping, I am not judging you. I'm just saying to be aware of where the gold came from.

this aint conflict gold is they dont lie to me mang

In an online environment where you actions impact the gameplay of other people, damaging an economy through exploitation for the sake of personal profit is not cool. How is it absurd to judge people who place their personal benefit above everyone else, at everyone else's expense? Obviously I'm not balling my fists in rage here and in the scheme of things it's a pretty irrelevant thing, but duping is not exactly noble. The only reason I said anything at all is that some people seem to have a slightly myopic perspective on the "opportunity" that was presented yesterday.

It doesn't seem to me that D3 offers a context for moral judgments.

Saying that a person is playing the game virtuously is...maybe a strange understanding of what virtue is. Presumably a virtuous person wouldn't be playing a game, and would rather volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Dupers do gain profits as a result of exploiting other people, yes. But all of the people in question are selfish assholes who are playing video games instead of making the world a better place. So, morally, it seems like everyone involved is kind of a prick.
    All of that lost Nazi gold bullion finally found its way into the market.
    is it morally outrageous to screw new players out of their $ for months by selling them gold on the rmah for a falsely inflated price

these are the questions we have to ask
  • MatzMatz Registered User regular

In an online environment where you actions impact the gameplay of other people, damaging an economy through exploitation for the sake of personal profit is not cool. How is it absurd to judge people who place their personal benefit above everyone else, at everyone else's expense? Obviously I'm not balling my fists in rage here and in the scheme of things it's a pretty irrelevant thing, but duping is not exactly noble. The only reason I said anything at all is that some people seem to have a slightly myopic perspective on the "opportunity" that was presented yesterday.

It doesn't seem to me that D3 offers a context for moral judgments.

Yes it does. It's why you don't play a WD. Zombies? Evil magic? You don't want to be messing with that...
    1367739794ae.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Eh, unless you entirely abstain from the auction house entirely, you're been involved with a whole bunch of people who broke the game economy for personal profit from the very start of d3. If you bought gear in 1.00, it was probably supporting someone who exploited design flaws to get to act 3-4 before everyone was ready. If you've sold an item recently, part of that gold probably came from people exploiting the gold to gems loop. This isn't the first duping incident and it probably won't be the last either. If gold is tainted by it's source, we've already been tainted by now.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    Why?

Because other people gaining gear efficiently somehow impacts his single player experience.

Drops for individual players are complete garbage, specifically because of the AH.

Going to wait to see what they do with drops in the itemization patch, myself - "less junk, more win" seems to have been their philosophy with it - but acting like the AH has had no adverse effects whatsoever is silly, especially when Blizzard themselves have outright admitted there are issues.
    Beadvised.jpg
    Dac wrote: »
    Why?

Drops for individual players are complete garbage, specifically because of the AH.

Going to wait to see what they do with drops in the itemization patch, myself - "less junk, more win" seems to have been their philosophy with it - but acting like the AH has had no adverse effects whatsoever is silly, especially when Blizzard themselves have outright admitted there are issues.

We may disagree about what effects are adverse. Amish players do not seem to have been harmed by the AH.
    is it morally outrageous to screw new players out of their $ for months by selling them gold on the rmah for a falsely inflated price

Well, I offered it at a price. They accepted it. Arms length, free will transaction. And Blizzard wouldn't allow me to offer it at a lower price...

1367739794ae.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
    Dac wrote: »
    Why?

not really

even if there was no AH, you could still trade with people. there would be more friction, but drops would still have to generally be shit in order to slow the saturation of the system until the expansion/patch

the ability to exchange items/currency between players is why drops are what they are. the AH just makes that exchange faster and easier.
    Matz wrote: »

Well, I offered it at a price. They accepted it. Arms length, free will transaction. And Blizzard wouldn't allow me to offer it at a lower price...
    but didn't you have prior knowledge that the gold wasn't worth what you were charging?

the truly moral choice would be not to sell any gold at all

how could you do something so terrible, matz?
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Korror wrote: »
    Eh, unless you entirely abstain from the auction house entirely, you're been involved with a whole bunch of people who broke the game economy for personal profit from the very start of d3. If you bought gear in 1.00, it was probably supporting someone who exploited design flaws to get to act 3-4 before everyone was ready. If you've sold an item recently, part of that gold probably came from people exploiting the gold to gems loop. This isn't the first duping incident and it probably won't be the last either. If gold is tainted by it's source, we've already been tainted by now.

Okay, we need to be crystal clear, the gold/gem loop was perfectly legit. The gold you got from them came out of a chest like any other.

There's no "taint" there.

I'm buying gems from people who crafted or bought then.

I'm selling those gems to people with gold that want them.

I'm selling that gold to people who don't realize a lower price can be had.

But all participants in this were willing, all the game mechanics involved were legit.

The game is the game, man.

Yeah, I don't think it's fair to even remotely compare a little light RMAH hustling to duping and exploits.

but didn't you have prior knowledge that the gold wasn't worth what you were charging?

the truly moral choice would be not to sell any gold at all

how could you do something so terrible, matz?

Ah but you see it is for the greater moral good. It enabled my barb to utterly crush the forces of evil with extreme efficiency. Everyone benefits! Nothing more moral than a good honest axe to the face.
    No - its really that I am a terrible person
    1367739794ae.png

• KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Taking advantage of ignorant people is a lot worse comparatively speaking than taking gold from dupers because people are more important than game mechanics. People have moral value. Game systems don't.

Not implying that there was anything wrong with the gold/gems loop.
    Korror on
    i am using my new chants wand to hunt down and murder goblins with ruthless abandon

and who wouldn't want that?
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    You are a sick man Rolo.

I can respect that.
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: Caretta#1196
  • SpaffySpaffy Sweet Sassy Molassy! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Not directed at any one person in particular, but for people who are angry about "missing out" on the gem bubble, or got fat and rich off of it-- people duping billions of gold were the only ones buying gems at those ridiculous inflated prices. You got, or would have gotten duped gold. Knowing that and wanting "in" on a slice of that pie is morally not very far removed from actually duping the gold yourself. Just sayin'.

The system is closely tied to real life money transactions. Knowingly causing artificial inflation* is actually somewhere akin to fraud.

I know there's not a lot of money involved, but still.

*using a method you know to be 'against da rules', that is. ie duping.
    Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Taking advantage of ignorant people is a lot worse comparatively speaking than taking gold from dupers because people are more important than game mechanics. People have moral value. Game systems don't.

Not implying that there was anything wrong with the gold/gems loop.

Yep. Taking advantage of ignorant people is capitalism 101. It's why advertising even exists as a concept. There are obviously limits... It's wrong to cause someone to become ignorant by misleading them, or to lie when asked straight up. But the gem flipping pre-goldpocalypse was pretty standard arbitrage.
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
    Rolo wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

Okay, we need to be crystal clear, the gold/gem loop was perfectly legit. The gold you got from them came out of a chest like any other.

There's no "taint" there.

I'm buying gems from people who crafted or bought then.

I'm selling those gems to people with gold that want them.

I'm selling that gold to people who don't realize a lower price can be had.

But all participants in this were willing, all the game mechanics involved were legit.

YOU STILL HAVE THE BLOOD OF INNOCENT TREASURE GOBLINS ON YOUR HANDS

JOIN

GOBLIN'S
    OBLITERATION
    ARE
    THE
    SEVEREST
    EVIL

TODAY

You guys got like a website or something I can check out?
    also i am using sarcasm or irony or whatever

the point is it's a video game, the consequences are basically nonexistent, there is no moral taint in any direction here

dupers aren't getting banned for being immoral, they're getting banned for breaking the ToS

dirty hipster, get that irony shit out of here

I got it, though, I was more replying to Korror by way of your quote tree. It did feel like there was some attempt to compare "exploiting" the gem/gold trade and taking duped gold.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    OMG you guys are killing me here. That's some of the best shit that's been posted in this thread in the last year.
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    All of that lost Nazi gold bullion finally found its way into the market.

Oh my god.

Diablo 3's gold is Nazi gold.

That's why the demons have it.

That's thread title material right there... Rolo's post was as well but I dunno if it can be condensed to a thread title.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    They're keeping the AH down till at least tomorrow morning:
    In order to allow auctions posted yesterday to expire naturally, we've decided to keep the gold and real-money Auction House in maintenance mode until tomorrow morning. We're currently targeting 10:00 a.m. PDT, but will provide an update for everyone at 9:00 a.m. PDT. At that point, we'll be able to give a much more solid ETA as to when the service will be up and running.

Gold trades are still disabled for the time being. Once we have an ETA for those being re-activated, we'll provide another update in this thread, as well.

I. Just. Want. Gems.

Oh the irony.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    In order to allow auctions posted yesterday to expire naturally

They seriously can't do this with something like
    UPDATE d3.goldauctions SET expiration TO now() WHERE expiration > now();
    UPDATE d3.cashauctions SET expiration TO now() WHERE expiration > now();

and bring them up in an hour or two after it completes?

I'm kind worried about exactly what state this whole code base is even in. It is as though they are seriously scared to do anything at all off the beaten path out of fear that they'll expose some exploit or bring the whole system crashing down around them.
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
    In order to allow auctions posted yesterday to expire naturally

They seriously can't do this with something like
    UPDATE d3.goldauctions SET expiration TO now() WHERE expiration > now();
    UPDATE d3.cashauctions SET expiration TO now() WHERE expiration > now();

and bring them up in an hour or two after it completes?

I'm kind worried about exactly what state this whole code base is even in. It is as though they are seriously scared to do anything at all off the beaten path out of fear that they'll expose some exploit or bring the whole system crashing down around them.

I know, and it's not like they have the ability to roll back the servers or anything if that happens...........

.....yeah.

They're fucktards.