Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Diablo 3] Reports of the Economy's death were greatly exaggerated

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    What if they changed the AH to gems/crafting items only, and gear still had to be personally crafted/obtained?

But you could just tear down everything and sell materials you didn't need.

You couldn't scum the AH for 'the best' gear, but still had access to getting good gear if you put in the effort.

Then no one would use the AH, but would use third party sites to trade gear.

Forcing people to only use gear they self generate us terribad.

So people only ever bought or traded for gear in D2, never farmed their own gear?

Because...wrong.

360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    Origin.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    i've seen one HR drop in my entire time playing d2

people pretty much bought/traded for their gear, unless they were using all common uniques and rares
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Registered User regular
    The drop system is very different though, in that the game generates drops in much larger quantities due to everyone having their own drops rather than killing something and a few items drop which must be divided amongst the group.
  • HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Has there been any word on just what their audit process actually is? Are there any reports of people saying things like "yeah, I sold this mempo for 1b, now the 1b is gone and I have the mempo back" ?

Anything at all?
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: Caretta#1196
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Has there been any word on just what their audit process actually is? Are there any reports of people saying things like "yeah, I sold this mempo for 1b, now the 1b is gone and I have the mempo back" ?

Anything at all?
    no, because those people have their accounts locked atm

we'll find out whenever they get unlocked i suppose, but blizzard specifically mentions in the email that they might change inventories/gold count
    Are they still actively locking accounts? IE: If your account hasn't been locked at this point, don't worry about it?

people pretty much bought/traded for their gear, unless they were using all common uniques and rares

No, not really. Yeah, some people would trade for the perfect items; that were probably duped anyway...but inordinate amounts of time was spent on <whatever> runs looking for those drops themselves.

The interesting thing, that many people forget; you didn't need the best gear to farm the best gear; i.e. you never even needed that stuff to do everything you could do in the game.

I can't buy the idea that somehow acquiring your own gear, even if you have access to the materials to make the best gear, would somehow drive people to 3rd party sites, in any meaningful numbers anyway.

When bots already are all over the game, all over the AH, and much of that best gear is debatably duped or acquired from otherwise bad means...

But I'm not sure I even care.

Either way I'm not doing the dance with J; I've seen others do it; try to suggest improvements only to have him shoot them down and never ever suggest anything himself; as if the AH was the paragon of perfection or couldn't be improved. I've said my piece.
    360.png Galedrid - Steam.gif Galedrid - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367 - WoW.gif Benediction
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    edited May 2013
    Are they still actively locking accounts? IE: If your account hasn't been locked at this point, don't worry about it?

If they're still going through transactions, it's likely that they still haven't finished banning/suspending; though I'm sure they went through the highest volume people first; so it's increasingly unlikely that you'll get in trouble at this point, unless you actively did something bad.
    The Dude With Herpes on
    - FFXI.png Kingshand
    they are still locking accounts i believe, so that's something to look forward to
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Also, until the AH comes back up, it's unclear what they will be doing as far as auction rollback / cancellations / refunds. We just don't know yet.
    Rich on Beer - I talk about drinking beer. You read about it.
    edited May 2013

No, not really. Yeah, some people would trade for the perfect items; that were probably duped anyway...but inordinate amounts of time was spent on <whatever> runs looking for those drops themselves.

The interesting thing, that many people forget; you didn't need the best gear to farm the best gear; i.e. you never even needed that stuff to do everything you could do in the game.

I can't buy the idea that somehow acquiring your own gear, even if you have access to the materials to make the best gear, would somehow drive people to 3rd party sites, in any meaningful numbers anyway.

When bots already are all over the game, all over the AH, and much of that best gear is debatably duped or acquired from otherwise bad means...

But I'm not sure I even care.

Either way I'm not doing the dance with J; I've seen others do it; try to suggest improvements only to have him shoot them down and never ever suggest anything himself; as if the AH was the paragon of perfection or couldn't be improved. I've said my piece.
    i don't even know what you're arguing with J about

but it was literally impossible to make most of the good runewords just using self found runes

not even perfect runewords, just the runewords themselves were too rare to be self found at any quality of roll

edit: also it's important that some runewords weren't just good items, but were build enabling. so even though you might not need a particular runeword to beat hell mode, you needed it for your character's spec to play and have fun the way you wanted to
    Big Red Tie on
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    I would like to see more sets that focus on one build such as a zombie dog build. The only problem with that is if you put all your gold into one set of gear and then you're stuck with it unless you sell all of it. I can switch builds at the moment with little item changing but there are so few viable builds for every class without sets that make one or more spells improved by equipping an item set.
    The problem is that if that build is "the best" or close to "the best" it will be insanely expensive for a proper version of it. Then other people would be complaining about that. Right now, at least you can mix and match and you're okay. But look at how expensive a decent crit mempo is and extrapolate that to a whole set.
    i am a little excited for the prospects of hydra hat
    if I can't use my account this evening when I get off I am going to be annoyed to no end.
    did you get suspended? you probably won't unless you duped/had an item bought by a duper
  • sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    So I have 4.1b gold and 51 blizzbucks which is 2b gold if 10m gold is 25 cents. My gear isn't very good and I really want to try this rend build that everyone is doing in mp10 and I'm thinking of spending 2b gold. I've seen 100m gold guides so 2b should be more than enough to cover it. I'll keep 4b gold for flipping items. I am certainly annoyed that when the AH goes up I will have to wait. I don't know exactly what items will be priced at when the AH goes back up.
    You definitely should wait to do anything. They've possibly lowered the floor back to 1 million per .25, all the items are going to be fucked up pricing wise, and who knows what the market will be like.
    Nah, I didn't get suspended. but I flipped gems during the madness before it got out what was going on, so I'm sure some of my gold is from a duped source. so I'm curious if someone in my shoes is still at risk

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    So no rollback, huh? Now I feel even farther behind the D3 power curve since I wasn't able to get in on any of that sweet inflated income. :/
    Patch 4.3 wrote:
    In patch 4.3 we’re changing the daily battleground (BG) to reward 100 conquest for a win (up from 25). In addition, every non-rated BG that you win will also give you 50 conquest.
    YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!
    I don't think gem profits will get you suspended, at least I haven't heard of anyone getting suspended for it
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User regular

And so goes another dance partner.

I am not sure what you are trying to "improve" with your proposed change. So far as I can tell, the AH solves many of the trading problems from D2. The only "problem" it creates is some people feel compelled to use it, despite their lack of desire to use it.

That is not a problem with the AH. That is a problem of people being weak willed and failing to actualize their own desires.

A person can play the game without using the AH. Nothing actively forces anyone to engage with it. Players who choose to use it do have an advantage, in terms of acquiring specific gear in a more efficient manner, but that is not a universal advantage. Advantage and disadvantage are assessed in terms of the context of desires, ideals, objectives, etc. If a person's goal is to achieve the best gear for MP10, in the most efficient way, then the AH is the best means to that end. If a person's goal is to just kill shit, the AH is not required.

The issue that I see on the official forums quite often is that people do not want to use the AH, but want the best gear. So their proposed solution is for the RNG to love them, and magically drop exactly the gear they need exactly when they want it. That is a problematic set of desires.

As to my own reluctance to propose improvements on the AH...the system seems to work. I can farm gear, sell gear, and buy the gear I want. I have not identified a problem that requires change or improvement.

Except that it would be nice for the search criteria to not be limited to what affixes can appear on only rares for a particular slot. Searching by legendary affix would be handy. Or just enable all affixes for all gear slot searches, and if X cannot appear on a piece of gear then the search results indicate this.
    edited May 2013
    The only people I've heard about are those on the official forums and those people are probably (read, definitely) lying.

edit: This is in regards to getting suspended for gem profits.
    shadowane on
    I'd actually like if I could put a max value on a slot along with the min. There are times I'm looking for something to buy and it would be nice to not have to wade through a ton of shit. Since thea null buyout is considered infinity (I think and if I'm wrong well whatever) then I can't use the max buyout field to limit them.

Oh and the ability to search on weapons for weapon speed.
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular

I am not sure what you are trying to "improve" with your proposed change. So far as I can tell, the AH solves many of the trading problems from D2. The only "problem" it creates is some people feel compelled to use it, despite their lack of desire to use it.

That is not a problem with the AH. That is a problem of people being weak willed and failing to actualize their own desires.

A person can play the game without using the AH. Nothing actively forces anyone to engage with it. Players who choose to use it do have an advantage, in terms of acquiring specific gear in a more efficient manner, but that is not a universal advantage. Advantage and disadvantage are assessed in terms of the context of desires, ideals, objectives, etc. If a person's goal is to achieve the best gear for MP10, in the most efficient way, then the AH is the best means to that end. If a person's goal is to just kill shit, the AH is not required.

The issue that I see on the official forums quite often is that people do not want to use the AH, but want the best gear. So their proposed solution is for the RNG to love them, and magically drop exactly the gear they need exactly when they want it. That is a problematic set of desires.

As to my own reluctance to propose improvements on the AH...the system seems to work. I can farm gear, sell gear, and buy the gear I want. I have not identified a problem that requires change or improvement.

Except that it would be nice for the search criteria to not be limited to what affixes can appear on only rares for a particular slot. Searching by legendary affix would be handy. Or just enable all affixes for all gear slot searches, and if X cannot appear on a piece of gear then the search results indicate this.

I am beginning to understand some people's reluctant use of the AH. I've been an Inferno-bound Witch Doctor for many months now and I can not handle anything past MP1 with the gear that I have. It does take an exorbitant amount of patience to wait for something decent to drop, once that patience has run out, it hurts, but I can see how some people feel like they're being forced to play the Diablo 3 Wall Street Simulator. I haven't broken yet, though, I'm still going strong in the few little piddly crap pieces I've picked up off the Auction House (none of my gear cost me more than, say 500,000 gold), and I have a lot of runs that people would consider "fail" because I didn't get any upgrades from them. Still, the DoT Witchdoctor lives strong in my PC :D
    Monster Hunter Tri code/username: 1MF42Z (Morda)
    WiiU Username: MordaRazgrom
    Steam Username: MordaRazgrom
    WoW/Diablo 3 Battlenet Battletag: MordaRazgrom#1755
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage

I am beginning to understand some people's reluctant use of the AH. I've been an Inferno-bound Witch Doctor for many months now and I can not handle anything past MP1 with the gear that I have. It does take an exorbitant amount of patience to wait for something decent to drop, once that patience has run out, it hurts, but I can see how some people feel like they're being forced to play the Diablo 3 Wall Street Simulator. I haven't broken yet, though, I'm still going strong in the few little piddly crap pieces I've picked up off the Auction House (none of my gear cost me more than, say 500,000 gold), and I have a lot of runs that people would consider "fail" because I didn't get any upgrades from them. Still, the DoT Witchdoctor lives strong in my PC :D

Getting a RNG system to reliably create gear upgrades in a linear progression would be difficult.

There would be ways to solve this without removing the AH. It would mean significant modifications to the itemization system. Have gear for every MP level, increase the ilvl above 63, base gear drops upon classes and current item configurations, etc.

Those seem like very elaborate steps to take just to make the AH less desirable.
  • MordaRazgromMordaRazgrom Морда Разгром Ruling the Taffer KingdomRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Yeah, but there's an issue here. The people who are stuck in MP1 because they won't use the AH would be stuck there even without the AH existing. There is an automatic assumption that drop rates and various other things would change if the AH didn't exist and I don't believe it for a second.

What helps me is my general game philosophy. I don't care about the rewards that I get out of a game (achievements, loots, multiple endings, etc.) the act of playing the game is its own reward. If I come upon a challenging champion pack the act of beating them gives me a rush, completely divorced from the stuff that they dropped. If they dropped something cool, then cool, if not, I'm still happy.
    Me and my wife have a gamer YouTube page if interested www.youtube.com/TeamMarriage
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah Registered User regular
    I made gem profits from the duping, and have not been banned (yet). I don't think they're going to ban gem resellers.

Yeah, but there's an issue here. The people who are stuck in MP1 because they won't use the AH would be stuck there even without the AH existing. There is an automatic assumption that drop rates and various other things would change if the AH didn't exist and I don't believe it for a second.

Recall that back at release they said they designed item drops independent of the AH system.

What helps me is my general game philosophy. I don't care about the rewards that I get out of a game (achievements, loots, multiple endings, etc.) the act of playing the game is its own reward. If I come upon a challenging champion pack the act of beating them gives me a rush, completely divorced from the stuff that they dropped. If they dropped something cool, then cool, if not, I'm still happy.
    Right and this is the healthiest way to play a game in my opinion. People who are absurdly bitter about the AH are generally bitter because they aren't playing because the game is fun, they are playing because they want that new gear. I'm betting half those people or even more, if they get a crit mempo drop, would rush to the AH to sell it for $250 or 2 billion gold. But since they never will, they'll just complain instead.

Recall that back at release they said they designed item drops independent of the AH system.

This is you agreeing with me, right? I'm reading that correctly?
    yeah you two are agreeing

Right and this is the healthiest way to play a game in my opinion. People who are absurdly bitter about the AH are generally bitter because they aren't playing because the game is fun, they are playing because they want that new gear. I'm betting half those people or even more, if they get a crit mempo drop, would rush to the AH to sell it for $250 or 2 billion gold. But since they never will, they'll just complain instead.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "healthy" lol.
    I've...uh...I must admit that I've raged quite a bit, especially when I first hit Inferno. Lots of explitives in multiple languages, lots of rage-quitting, lots of going to another game out of sheer disgust. Diablo 3 is always there, though, no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into other games like I have Diablo 3. I've tried PoE and T2, and I've gotten decently along in them, but there's something missing there that I can't quite understand. Probably the fact that I can't spit enflamed locusts on people while raining frogs from the sky :P
  • No Great NameNo Great Name Registered User regular
    It's pretty fun to play now!! Feilds of misery was hilarious. Just wave after wave off goons to die in a bear avalanche.

Also what's the best mod to have on a chant's? LoH?
    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
    yeah you two are agreeing
    I clicked agree on this post.
    Patch 4.3 wrote:
    In patch 4.3 we’re changing the daily battleground (BG) to reward 100 conquest for a win (up from 25). In addition, every non-rated BG that you win will also give you 50 conquest.
    YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!
    IASA or socket and to a lesser extent LS CD and to an even lesser extent loh
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Seriously, with the ability to pick your own difficulty pretty accurately through MP, auction house is basically optional. There's no difference between demon killing on MP1 and MP9.

The drop rate, sure, but that only matters on the AH really...because the only reason you need better drops is for higher MP.

At least that's how I feel.

I do feel like MAYBE you are heavily encouraged to buy/sell commodities for crafting. But that's about it.
    If you want to do Ubers, you pretty much need to be on a higher MP level. You will go insane trying to farm keys/HFR recipe on, say, MP1.
    Patch 4.3 wrote:
    YES! I AM INVINCIBLE!