Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Programming] Thread: Restricting masking of red pandas since 2013.

• KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    SystemSounds.Hands.Play();
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    I have some nosey users, popping up relevant exceptions is bad, so I just record them to file now. But yeah at first I just did "Something bad happened, tell Bowen."
    We log everything to an encrypted text file because our users are special and think they can solve things by getting their IT guy to fiddle with our program.
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yup. We know that our company needs them. We know that they look good on resumes and to clients since we specialize in .NET (duh) technologies. However, nobody ever actually wants to do them. Though they offer a bit of a raise for completing each test. I say each test because you have to pass 3 to 4 tests in order to get certified which makes it more dumb still. Gives you a confidence boost though when you do pass them.

Man if they came with a raise why the fuck wouldn't you? Grab a book, comp it as job spending or something (even file it on your taxes if you have to), take test, get money, buy awesome shit.
    I have a friend who works for a place that gives raises for passing those tests. They also pay for the books and at least 1 or 2 tries at taking each test. Not a bad deal if .net is your thing.
    import com.seriouscompany.business.java.fizzbuzz.packagenamingpackage.interfaces.stringreturners.StringStringReturner;
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Yup. We know that our company needs them. We know that they look good on resumes and to clients since we specialize in .NET (duh) technologies. However, nobody ever actually wants to do them. Though they offer a bit of a raise for completing each test. I say each test because you have to pass 3 to 4 tests in order to get certified which makes it more dumb still. Gives you a confidence boost though when you do pass them.

Man if they came with a raise why the fuck wouldn't you? Grab a book, comp it as job spending or something (even file it on your taxes if you have to), take test, get money, buy awesome shit.

My experience is that they never let you study for it at work.

So unless the raise is really big, I value my free time far more.
    Your belief is not required
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, fuck dropping $100-300 a pop on it by myself though. That is redic. Besides, who needs certifications when I can just bust open google and stack overflow that shit.

I did the bing challenge last night, it was hilarious because I just typed random questions about programming and pretty much always had one side with stack overflow and the other side with MSDN.

HMM WONDER WHICH ONE IS BING, NO WONDER WHY NO ONE USES THAT SHIT
    bowen on
    gjaustin wrote: »

My experience is that they never let you study for it at work.

So unless the raise is really big, I value my free time far more.

I could sacrifice a few hours to get a 10k+ raise.

Anything less, probably not worth my effort unless it ramps up quickly each year.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    At my last job it was $1k bonus, and they paid for the test IF you passed it.
    I would do it for $5k-$10k but not for less than that.
    C#/WPF/WCF
    Also it was a requirement to keep your job.
    I would do it to keep my job.
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Kolosus wrote: »
    I would do it to keep my job.
    That's why I have mine! The fancy piece of paper sits ... somewhere? Maybe it's with my Uni degree? Wherever they are all I can hope is that they have each other.
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    urahonky wrote: »

lol

lolwut

They didn't require it ahead of time?
    Nope, part of the job contract or whatever I signed was to have a Java certification by the 6th month of employment.
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular

lol

lolwut

They didn't require it ahead of time?

You give a grace period and use it either as an excuse to temporarily pay less and / or still take advantage of delicious fresh grads.
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I bought a PHP book. :rotate:

Shitty language aside, I've seen this book highly recommended for general OOP practices, and since I'm doing PHP projects right now I might as well read up on it.
    Yeah I asked for $40 at my last job. They said they couldn't go that high and so they said $35K, but starting at $34K until I get java certified.
    Time to take the shoes off, gentlemen.
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    There is a C# cert?

On an unrelated note, I went to an interview the other day and got asked this question: "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" So I explained the differences and then the follow up was: "What would you do with an abstract class that contained only abstract members?" I replied "Make it an interface instead." :rotate: They were not amused.

Wait, why not just make it an interface? Admittedly, I don't know the circumstances that would lead to having an abstract class that had only abstract members.
    Torak - Elcor Vanguard
    Delmain wrote: »
    There is a C# cert?

On an unrelated note, I went to an interview the other day and got asked this question: "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" So I explained the differences and then the follow up was: "What would you do with an abstract class that contained only abstract members?" I replied "Make it an interface instead." :rotate: They were not amused.

Wait, why not just make it an interface? Admittedly, I don't know the circumstances that would lead to having an abstract class that had only abstract members.

I still have no idea what answer they were looking for, so I told them what I would do with it. They didn't look happy, and I doubt I will hear from them again. Good news is that I get to learn some Javascript/Backbone for my newest project which will make me more marketable.
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    Abstract class: Classes inherit this class and all code is the same between the classes that inherit it allowing for the code to be written once.

Interface: Classes can implement this and each class that implements it can have the methods do different things as the methods aren't defined in the interface but in the class that implements it.

I feel I explained it poorly but I believe this is main difference. Not sure on the abstract members part though and therefore can't give you an answer.
    steam_sig.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I assume an abstract member is what would be called a pure virtual function in C++? As in, a function whose signature is declared, but that explicitly lacks an implementation?

I can't imagine a reason why one would prefer to use a pure abstract class (a class that has only pure virtual functions) over an interface, if both are available. In C++, you use pure abstract classes to define interfaces because there is no such thing as an interface, per say. In C#, though, which has both classes and interfaces? Interface all the way.
    weapon_rex.jpg
    Polymorphism is a big thing.

Here's a quick example:

AbstractPerson
    package test;

public abstract class AbstractPerson {	
    	public abstract String getName();
    	public abstract String getAddress();
    }

PersonImpl (extends AbstractPerson)
    package test;

public class PersonImpl extends AbstractPerson{

@Override
    	public String getName() {
    		// TODO Auto-generated method stub
    		return null;
    	}

@Override
    	public String getAddress() {
    		return null;
    	}

}

InterfacePerson
    package test;

public interface InterfacePerson {
    	public String getName();
    	public String getAddress();
    }

PersonImpl2 (implements InterfacePerson)
    package test;

public class PersonImpl2 implements InterfacePerson {

@Override
    	public String getName() {
    		return null;
    	}

@Override
    	public String getAddress() {
    		return null;
    	}

}

main:
    package test;

public class main {

public static void main(String [] args){
    		PersonImpl p = new PersonImpl();
    		[b]AbstractPerson p2 = new PersonImpl();[/b]
    		PersonImpl2 p3 = new PersonImpl2();
    		InterfacePerson p4 = new PersonImpl2();
    	}
    }

Bottom two work, but the 2nd one down does not.
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I assume an abstract member is what would be called a pure virtual function in C++? As in, a function whose signature is declared, but that explicitly lacks an implementation?

I can't imagine a reason why one would prefer to use a pure abstract class (a class that has only pure virtual functions) over an interface, if both are available. In C++, you use pure abstract classes to define interfaces because there is no such thing as an interface, per say. In C#, though, which has both classes and interfaces? Interface all the way.

Yeah I'm trying to come up with a reason to do it and I'm blanking.
  • Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    And that is why I was blanking on Abstract members because in C#, no one uses that.

Well, thanks for that. That means that depending on language, Kolosus' answer is correct because why would you use that when you can use an interface?
    steam_sig.png
    Exactly, what would be the point?
    C#/WPF/WCF
    I remember having a question like that on the Java certification exam... But I do not remember what it was. So there is some very, very specific instance...
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

Yeah I'm trying to come up with a reason to do it and I'm blanking.

There's not really a good reason. The abstract class would "lock" the inheriting class into a particular base class. The abstract class has the benefit that if you wanted to added concrete methods with default implementations in the future, you have the capability to do so, but this sort of reasoning runs afoul of the "don't over-engineer your software" principle.

Technically, interfaces are compiled down differently than abstract classes, but I'm not aware of any potential perceivable performance or semantic implications other than what abstract classes and interfaces give you at a high level.
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    You are using abstract classes even if you think you aren't.
    You are just not calling them "abstract" while still never instantiating them.
  • centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You would use a full abstract class vs an interface in Java when you don’t want it to be mixed with other parent classes. Java doesn’t allow multiple inheritance.

I don’t think C# has multiple inheritance either, so same for it.
    centraldogma on
    signaturecreation.gif
  • InfidelInfidel It's not Infidel, it's INNNNNFIDELRegistered User regular
    "Full" abstract can have protected access and non-final-static fields.

But it is almost always a non-distinction cause it isn't a very practical usage we're talking here.
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    That josephus problem doesn't work for me because my ruby is old (1.8.7) and doesn't have array.Rotate!

:rotate: CentOS :rotate:
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
    That josephus problem doesn't work for me because my ruby is old (1.8.7) and doesn't have array.Rotate!

:rotate: CentOS :rotate:

I almost re-implemented it in 1.8, but then I remembered backports.
    require 'backports/1.9.2/array/rotate'

And done.
    This is one of the things I really love about ruby: I can override very specific things without having to mess with the whole class and have other things explode. Like in that Josephus example where I override the array accessor for one specific variable.
    def josephus(size, steps)
      list = *1..size

def list.[](i)
        fetch(i % length)
      end

end

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    I never liked Ruby's syntax, but I have to admit that is really slick.
  • jaziekjaziek Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Fuck matlab.

Thats all.
    jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    So, I don't really know whether this is the right place. I have a bunch of SQL data, which is polling data. Data resolution is currently at about every 9 minutes.

Project requirements have suddenly expanded to add in a consolidated reporting requirement.

This is not currently a development project, per se, but I am running into the following issue. The only way to pull all the data currently available is excel and word (no crystal reports or anything like that).

The data it pulls does not graph correctly in excel, it seems to ignore the time portion and only pay attention to the date portion of the horizontal series marks.

Which leads to three questions:
    1. How easy would it be to consolidate the data into hourly blocks by modifying my SQL query?
    2. Is this easier to do via excel?
    3. Is there a way to just fix the damn graph so it just works?
    What I see sees me.
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    edited May 2013
    jaziek wrote: »
    Fuck matlab.

That's all.

I kind of hoped Julia would have taken off for this sort of thing, but it has not yet. My pain was R, but I'm sure MatLab is equivalently painful, if not moreso.

edit: Even though julia, like Ruby, also uses "end" keywords instead of curly braces for blocks *angry fist*
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • jaziekjaziek Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Fuck matlab.

That's all.

I kind of hoped Julia would have taken off for this sort of thing, but it has not yet. My pain was R, but I'm sure MatLab is equivalently painful, if not moreso.

edit: Even though julia, like Ruby, also uses "end" keywords instead of curly braces for blocks *angry fist*

the worst thing about matlab for me, a function call is

foo(arg1, arg2)

and indexing a matrix is

foo(index1,index2)

and you're allowed to call a function the same thing as you've called a variable.

WAT.
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    fuck MATLAB indeed

none of us taking the MATLAB class his year has any idea what's going on, there's no tutorials and the lecturer prefaces everything with "it's easy to do..."

also figuring out that ending a statement with ; hid the output took a while and a lot of frustration