Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Programming] Thread: Restricting masking of red pandas since 2013.

• PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    Hmm, it's back for me to. Looked like DNS resolution hiccuped for a bit
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Everything is fine.
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    geth...
    Time rots everything. Even hope.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    Geth roll some dice for christ's sake.
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Well looks like we WON'T be doing some selenium testing, because my boss' boss doesn't like it, and doesn't think we should be doing automated ui testing anyway, apparently that's QA's job. We're to focus on unit testing and refactoring, which is good and all, but...we could really use all the testing we can get. And unit testing can only do so much for a web application.
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Well looks like we WON'T be doing some selenium testing, because my boss' boss doesn't like it, and doesn't think we should be doing automated ui testing anyway, apparently that's QA's job. We're to focus on unit testing and refactoring, which is good and all, but...we could really use all the testing we can get. And unit testing can only do so much for a web application.

Not entirely sure what you're testing but if you want to continue the good fight there's a ton of info on javascript testing here ...
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/300855/looking-for-a-better-javascript-unit-test-tool

One day I'll have to fight for some time to look into how to properly integrate QUnit(?) into my current Backbone/Requirejs project.
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    I may be the only person here who cares, but golang 1.1 is out.
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    I am mildly interested in go... but I'm not entirely sure what I'd use it for
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm intrigued by it, but I'm intrigued by several languages right now, which I don't have time to learn.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeh, in the real world I still have to do all my work in perl and C++98. I've never written anything useful in Go, though I started working on a disk benchmark this week, maybe eventually it will be a port of some existing C/C++ benchmark program? Though I'm too easily distracted to ever actually finish these kinds of side projects :( *glares at half-written point of sale system*
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Writing what basically amounts to a doubly-linked list in Ruby makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I was doing the Josephus Problem though, and I don't see an obvious Ruby-like way to do that.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    That sounds like an interesting problem, I'll give it a stab when I get home.

I'd start with overriding Array to make it wrap around.
    edited May 2013
    Woo an excuse to do cute stuff with Ruby.
    def josephus(size, steps, survivors = 1)
      list = *1..size

def list.[](i)
        fetch(i % length)
      end

puts "Population #{list.length}, #{steps} steps, #{survivors} survivors"

while list.length > survivors
        list.delete(list[steps-1])
        list.rotate!(steps-1)
      end

puts "Position of survivors: #{list.join(', ')}"
    end

josephus(40, 3) gives position 28.

edit: canonically it was 41 men; josephus(41,3) gives position 31.
    Echo on
    Feels a bit ugly to use Array#delete since that deletes matching objects, instead of deleting at a given index, but I think I'd have to override Array#delete_at too if I want to delete by index. Eh, good enough.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    OK. You can change my peer review response to “Pass with Comments” when you

I’d to look it over after you change templates.

Email I got from my tech lead. I think they missed a few words. :P
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Despair. Registered User regular
    It's pretty ridiculous to expect anyone to
    steam_sig.png

To what... TO WHAT!?
    urahonky wrote: »

To what... TO WHAT!?

The whole code.
    Oh dear, did someone accidentally the whole code? Again?
    *sigh* time to stab then?
    My brother wanted me to get certifications so he could get me work through his contacts in the military. It was hard to really get across that they don't do certification for software, I mean, there's MSDN stuff but that's pretty much what my degree is supposed to stand for "I can do XYZ because I am trained to do XYZ through a degree program."

I mean I could go drop $200 for a microsoft certification for each skillset but man that is absolutely bonkers.

He said I should get those A+ certs for hardware but then I reminded him that fuck doing that kind of work, might as well stay where I am because the pay and benefits wouldn't outweigh the fear of HOLY SHIT DO I GET TO KEEP MY JOB THIS YEAR?!
    Yes, microsoft, I know how to work with loops and arrays I don't need to spend $200 to prove that. People who put so much weight into certifications are fucking insane.
  • JasconiusJasconius bird internet Saint Petersburg RussiaRegistered User regular
    I'd love for a good certification program

i think the profession needs one

unfortunately anyone who gives a shit to make one is out with agenda
    $300 to get Java certified.
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    The CCIE cert is definitely worth something.

All the coding certs are useless. Especially those stupid BrainBench certs. Let's see how much useless language trivia we can make you remember in a timed test.
  • KolosusKolosus Registered User regular
    I volunteered to take on the project that no one wants to take on, because I figured out how to do it as a web based application rather than fiddling with the 10 year old code written by crappy Chinese developers. Now, how on earth do I learn me some Javascript?
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • Lt Muffin360Lt Muffin360 Registered User regular
    My job pays for us if we want to get Microsoft Certified. However, this is because we are a gold partner with Microsoft and need so many certifications in order to keep that partnership. Looks good to the clients though.
    steam_sig.png
    I knew the robot loved Microsoft.
    C#/WPF/WCF
    My thoughts exactly @Kolosus
    steam_sig.png
    What kind of Certs does Microsoft even offer anymore besides OS specific and SQL Server?
    C#/WPF/WCF
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    My job pays for us if we want to get Microsoft Certified. However, this is because we are a gold partner with Microsoft and need so many certifications in order to keep that partnership. Looks good to the clients though.

I used to work for a company with the same deal except certification was required. I assumed they wanted to advertise to clients that ALL of their devs were forced to waste time in an attempt to trick silly hiring managers into thinking we knew what we were talking about when we say BizTalk is the answer to every design question and that some random function clearly has 4 parameters and you must feel shame if you needed the MSDN to realize that!
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I think the CEO from 2 employers ago just tried to get me involved in a nigerian money laundering scheme. He moved and there are no branches for the bank the company uses in his state and he has no other US employees left. Rather than changing banks he wanted to pay me to let him mail checks to me and then I'd go deposit them.

Yeah... I don't think so.
    import com.seriouscompany.business.java.fizzbuzz.packagenamingpackage.interfaces.stringreturners.StringStringReturner;
    Kolosus wrote: »
    What kind of Certs does Microsoft even offer anymore besides OS specific and SQL Server?

The main ones that we are told to look at are the Microsoft Certified Professional Developer ones (which are being phased out and replaced with MCSD).

The three categories we are pointed to from there are the Web based (MVC, etc.), Desktop based (WPF, etc.), and Azure (we don't do much with this so while they say it is an option, it wouldn't really help).
    steam_sig.png
    Yeah MVC, WPF, general c#, SQL Server, looks like a service based one too.

Why anyone would even bother with those is mind boggling. Seems like you'd get more out of an associates degree at a community college.
    There is a C# cert?

On an unrelated note, I went to an interview the other day and got asked this question: "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" So I explained the differences and then the follow up was: "What would you do with an abstract class that contained only abstract members?" I replied "Make it an interface instead." :rotate: They were not amused.
    C#/WPF/WCF
    Yup. We know that our company needs them. We know that they look good on resumes and to clients since we specialize in .NET (duh) technologies. However, nobody ever actually wants to do them. Though they offer a bit of a raise for completing each test. I say each test because you have to pass 3 to 4 tests in order to get certified which makes it more dumb still. Gives you a confidence boost though when you do pass them.
    steam_sig.png
    There is a C# cert?

On an unrelated note, I went to an interview the other day and got asked this question: "What is the difference between an abstract class and an interface?" So I explained the differences and then the follow up was: "What would you do with an abstract class that contained only abstract members?" I replied "Make it an interface instead." :rotate: They were not amused.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-483
    Yup. We know that our company needs them. We know that they look good on resumes and to clients since we specialize in .NET (duh) technologies. However, nobody ever actually wants to do them. Though they offer a bit of a raise for completing each test. I say each test because you have to pass 3 to 4 tests in order to get certified which makes it more dumb still. Gives you a confidence boost though when you do pass them.

Man if they came with a raise why the fuck wouldn't you? Grab a book, comp it as job spending or something (even file it on your taxes if you have to), take test, get money, buy awesome shit.
    bowen wrote: »
    There is a C# cert?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-483

Huh, the course looks like it covers interesting stuff. I should show some of the people that work here one point in particular: "Implement exception handling." BTW, that doesn't mean empty catches!
    C#/WPF/WCF
    Pft "Something happened" is my go to!