Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Programming] Thread: Restricting masking of red pandas since 2013.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    [hopefully this is the right spot for this post...if not move it mods]
    anyways, my manager "created" a goal for me this year (achievement of goals is 90% of annual review) of learning automated testing tools from a QA perspective (specifically selenium). the web app that i'll be responsible for is mostly php based, but the trouble is I have limited programming background ( i can read code fairly well, in order to trouble shoot things, but writing my own stuff is not great). any ideas where to begin beside d/l the selenium ide? i assume i'll need to pick up a scripting language to make the selenium IDE more productive, but any thoughts on which to go with?

err worst totp ever?
    Maguano on
    GW2: Maguano
  • SaerisSaeris Chronogestaltist Trinity, New MexicoRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i have a career-ish question.

i'm beginning my second year in community college this fall, so i'll be transferring in the fall of '14.

my question is: i won't be headed to a great school, CS ranking well outside of the top 100. i'm trying not to be too bummed over that- gonna make the most that i can out of the opportunity. but unlike a lot of people who broke into programming on raw ability and a portfolio, sans degree, i just don't have that. i'm doing recreational coding outside of class but i am definitely not at the point where i'm making interesting, novel creations to show off.

so my question is, as someone who plans to follow the pretty traditional 'four years of school with an internship between junior and senior year' path, how do i maximize that when i'm at a not-great school

they have a career fair and all but it's not going to attract a wide breadth of employers and i'm wondering if that just constrains me to the local employers with whom my school has connections? like, are top international tech firms (msoft, amazon, apple) just right out or can i even bother applying from an unranked school without a portfolio to speak of?

thanks for any input!

So very, very much of the CS knowledge I use every day was not covered at all in classes, and I attended a university with a rather beefy CS program. Don't worry about what the curriculum is going to cover, or how good the professors are. Just spend a significant chunk of your free time writing code. StackOverflow is your new best friend.

And it doesn't matter if you lack a predisposition toward programming. As long as you spend time outside of class just experimenting with code (and reading that written by others!) in a variety of languages, you'll be dramatically ahead of your classmates. You'll also hopefully create a few items that you could add to a portfolio, even if it's relatively simple. The aptitude to pursue personal projects constitutes significant merit by employers, perhaps more than a prestigious degree (especially if they include a fellow programmer in the interview process).

In this field more than most, more than perhaps any other, the degree is just a piece of paper. A necessary one, but still. Companies generally recognize that this is a young science, and will value your capacity to learn more highly than your capacity to recite what you already know.
    Nlgya.png
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Things like your degree are valued more by certain companies, particularly corporate environments, or ones where the people hiring you don't have a good grasp of the tech. Companies where you are interviewed by actual programmers who will be working with you will tend to care more about your ability to answer technical questions, write code on demand, and your portfolio (if any). At least, in my experience. You can pretty handily make a portfolio to outweigh your degree if you put in the effort (it's a pretty good amount of effort)
  • SaerisSaeris Chronogestaltist Trinity, New MexicoRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Degree gets you an interview, but not a job

This.
    Nlgya.png
    Maguano wrote: »
    [hopefully this is the right spot for this post...if not move it mods]
    anyways, my manager "created" a goal for me this year (achievement of goals is 90% of annual review) of learning automated testing tools from a QA perspective (specifically selenium). the web app that i'll be responsible for is mostly php based, but the trouble is I have limited programming background ( i can read code fairly well, in order to trouble shoot things, but writing my own stuff is not great). any ideas where to begin beside d/l the selenium ide? i assume i'll need to pick up a scripting language to make the selenium IDE more productive, but any thoughts on which to go with?

err worst totp ever?

Hey, high 5, this is basically what I'm doing, learning selenium to do testing. I personally am using java, but we're working on a java project, and I want to be able to fit the testing into our project as seamlessly as possible. If you have free reign to pick a language, it probably won't make a huge difference what you pick, but I guess I'd suggest ruby? It's a pretty clean simple language. But, for the most part, writing tests doesn't involve a ton of complicated logic, so once you learn enough of a language to actually get the test suite to run at all, that's probably about all you need. It's just going to be a list of commands to the browser telling it what to do with the page, then a bunch of assert statements where you tell it what should be on the page. And if you're using the ide, it might not even be that complex, since you can just use the recorder to do it without coding. But yeah, just get the plugin with the recorder, read the guide about it, and play with it and see how much code you even need.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    Saeris wrote: »

This.

Open source is another way in. For example, I work on a team that does stuff based off of Gentoo - and several maintainers are on the team, hired directly for their experience
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    thanks doggs. i do code recreationally, i just have a long way to go before i'm making substantive contributions to public git repositories or making novel, meaningful creations programmatically. i guess i do have a couple years to get down to it.
    Don't let worrying about it being novel or meaningful prevent you from making something, that's the mistake I made. Those things are nice, but as long as you have something that works and is good code, I don't think most companies care all that much. It's a portfolio, not a kickstarter.
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    The Daily WTF would seem to prove this wrong...
    edited May 2013
    On linux, I've installed a SIGHUP handler. When I get it, I re-exec myself and no longer get HUPs after restarting. Any reason this would happen?
    Phyphor on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    On linux, I've installed a SIGHUP handler. When I get it, I re-exec myself and no longer get HUPs after restarting. Any reason this would happen?

Original source of SIGHUP is sending to the wrong pid (do you get a new pid when you re-exec)?
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
    Nope. Doesn't matter if I send it directly to that PID either
    Nope. Doesn't matter if I send it directly to that PID either

Signal hasn't been masked out by accident?
    Shouldn't be, I'm not doing anything fancy, just calling signal() in main
    Fixed it by doing a better restart
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Get weird HTML form bug. Chase bug for ten minutes. Look at functionally identical code for another form elsewhere. Yep, identical. Stare at screen for another five minutes.

Log out of site, log in again. Code now works. And the error I got was trying to get a property of a non-object, which is not something that should be fixed by that.

Yep, a Heisenbug.
  • bowenbowen Registered User regular
    @organichu where the degree is from hardly matters, in most cases.

For instance, I graduated from ITT Tech. So long as I'm not getting hired by a CEO from Harvard looking for other Harvardites this isn't so much of an issue. Know your shit, know how to explain your shit, know what the company you're interviewing does, know how to apply your knowledge to what they do, ask for paycheck.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Note to self: bring an air freshener to your base cube. Holy crap.
    Echo wrote: »
    Get weird HTML form bug. Chase bug for ten minutes. Look at functionally identical code for another form elsewhere. Yep, identical. Stare at screen for another five minutes.

Log out of site, log in again. Code now works. And the error I got was trying to get a property of a non-object, which is not something that should be fixed by that.

Yep, a Heisenbug.

Cached HTML issue mayhaps?
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Ugh.

So last week, I walked some code. I thought the code was excellent, probably some of my best work. Everyone understood it within 15 minutes. It was slightly outside of the way DJango's class based views (CBVs) work -- but Django's CBVs don't fit our need very well at all.

But I was told to use a completely different approach, which involves redesigning the whole thing. I wasn't able to persuade them that Django's CBVs don't at all work well in this case, and now I need to write it in a way that makes use of Django's CBVs.

The problem is that every time I sit down (in the last 2 workdays) to work on rewriting it again, I just get angry. I think part of my frustration is just how freaking easy this current solution is to understand, and how when I start to imagine a different solution, I keep comparing it to the current solution and thinking, "This is not better." And I can't seem to get past it. I don't know if I'm just burnt out or what.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    That's a kick in the balls. I think its the fact that you did great work that isn't going to see the light of day because some D-bag decided it has to be this one way even if it doesn't make the most sense. Sadly, this happens all the fucking time. I still haven't found it to get any easier.
  • EchoEcho Per Aspera Ad Inferi Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    Managers gonna manage.
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    That's a kick in the balls. I think its the fact that you did great work that isn't going to see the light of day because some D-bag decided it has to be this one way even if it doesn't make the most sense. Sadly, this happens all the fucking time. I still haven't found it to get any easier.

I've found it significantly easier when I can write code the way I want at home.

That makes the code that makes-no-god-damned-since-oh-my-god-what-the-fuck-am-I-doing much better to handle.

Whatever bro, they're writing my checks! Then at 5:00 I check the fuck out and go home and code my way or play video games.
  • InfidelInfidel It's not Infidel, it's INNNNNFIDELRegistered User regular
    I guess this is where I should be thankful that I architect most of our stuff.
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »

I went from a big company where we had to do it their way or the highway to a smaller R&D firm where I do it however the fuck I want as long as it works. I make less money then I would if I went to work for a big tech company, but I am so much happier.

It's a godsend, ain't it?
    The best was probably needing an emergency tool, reviewing the needs, and going "yeah I think I'll just bang this out in MSAccess."

And then we went with that.
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    Man that must've been a hell of a non emergency emergency.
    bowen wrote: »
    Man that must've been a hell of a non emergency emergency.

Make a data translation tool that a BA can enter in the requirements and it takes the input and spits out the appropriate output, in short order.

Not having the tools or development time of typical GUI apps was the main decision point.

We have an HL7/Cloverleaf spec for importing in-flight visits from a transitioning site, but the data is not a logical one-to-one mapping. All the requirements and differences had to be defined and mapped and we didn't have Cloverleaf resource time to work on that.

So I'm like sup, I can make a CSV-CSV translate tool that even a BA can program.

Super success btw.
    Seems like it'd have been easier to bust out VB or something. I wish I was in the room when you came to that decision so I could just stare a hole through you.
    Like my avatar.
    Seems like it'd have been easier to bust out VB or something. I wish I was in the room when you came to that decision so I could just stare a hole through you.

We did! We busted out the VBA! :rotate:

We did! We busted out the VBA! :rotate:

GQlUjEW.png

My god... it's... full of knives.
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote: »

I found that my level of caring was inversely proportional to the size of my paycheque. Of course my Mortgage variable curving sharply upwards definitely plays a part in this theory.
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    Those pixels are the size of knives for sure.
    Did padev just stop responding for anyone else?
    Did padev just stop responding for anyone else?

It's up for me.