Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mechwarrior:Online] Weapon Rebalancing on the 21st. Oosik Sigs on P19

• heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    Are lrms still 2.5 damage per missile?
    heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    heckels wrote: »
    Are lrms still 2.5 damage per missile?
    LRMs were never 2.5 damage per missile. SRMs were 2.5, LRMs were 1.5. SRMs are now 1.5, LRMs are now 0.7.

I carry 900 rounds in my C1 and really can't fit any more without putting it into vulnerable spots or downgrading my close range protection even more. So, perfect world, all missiles hit = 630 damage. But, well, perfect world...

Also LRMs aren't breaking components much any more, so you won't get the gaudy damage numbers from that.
    Spectrum on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know how I keep convincing myself that the pubbies aren't going to be completely terrible.

Because they always are.
    RaritySig1Small_zpsbbb789d8.jpg
    Steam: stabbitystyle | XBL: S For Stabbity | MWO: stabbitystyle
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I tried this a while ago but I'm not sure about it. I'll wait until it is official out to judge it though, I can't tell how much of the game is just not there yet and how much is that way by design. It looks like it has huge potential, though.
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    I tried this a while ago but I'm not sure about it. I'll wait until it is official out to judge it though, I can't tell how much of the game is just not there yet and how much is that way by design. It looks like it has huge potential, though.

What specifically do you mean by not there, or by design? There's still a huge amount of content coming this summer. All of the Community Warfare stuff is yet to be added, which will include branded items/mechs with slightly varying stats, bonuses and costs. Factions and Planetary control will be coming, which will grant your faction or merc corp bonuses based on what planets are held. And that's not even getting into Clan stuff. We've got two more confirmed mechs coming, the Blackjack this month, and the Flea most likely in June, as well as up to 7 unannounced mechs that are complete (and the popular speculation is either Clan mechs or Reseen redesigns by Alex).

We've got the new Canyon map this month on the 21st, and a Volcano map next on the docket. Then I believe it's an Asteroid/Moon map, and an Urban map following that. It's a free game that's only going to get better and better. And as we've gone back and forth with way too much over the last few days, there's not really anything worth getting gameplay wise you can't get just from playing. Pay to win is basically a complete nonfactor here. So there is, and will never be a better time to start playing than right now.
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
  • BillGatesBillGates Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

When was the last time (roughly), you tried this game? The game has changed significantly since Closed Beta, and even a complete 180 since Alpha.

I won't lie to you, its still a little rough, and it's definitely still a beta. That being said, it is expanding rapidly and if you want to consider playing this game once its released now is the prime time to get in and play.

All sorts of stuff is just churning out the pipe right now. Community Warfare is right around the corner, the game will be moving to 12 V 12 in about a month. Mechlab 2.0 UI is on the horizon, balance is usually addressed every 2 patches which is on average a month. Though if something is game breaking or crippling the entire game they do hot-fix on the go.

ELO was recently introduced which makes the game much more fun because you play with people in your skill level.

If you have the time and you are interested I suggest you give it another go in its current form, it's not bad. And it has a fuckton of potential. Yes, a fuckton.

Edit- Figured i should tell you know, if you do play before the next patch, direct high alpha weapons are the rage right now (PPC's, AC 20's, etc), PGI already admitted the lethality in this game is to high and will be addressed, so the meta is a little...stale, at the moment. But don't let that discourage you.

The next patch is scheduled for late May, the 21st I believe. The Black Jack and the new map Canyon come with it.
    BillGates on
    3ws6wAR.png

Steam and Origin - BillGates91
    LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
    BillGates wrote: »

When was the last time (roughly), you tried this game? The game has changed significantly since Closed Beta, and even a complete 180 since Alpha.

I won't lie to you, its still a little rough, and it's definitely still a beta. That being said, it is expanding rapidly and if you want to consider playing this game once its released now is the prime time to get in and play.

All sorts of stuff is just churning out the pipe right now. Community Warfare is right around the corner, the game will be moving to 12 V 12 in about a month. Mechlab 2.0 UI is on the horizon, balance is usually addressed every 2 patches which is on average a month. Though if something is game breaking or crippling the entire game they do hot-fix on the go.

ELO was recently introduced which makes the game much more fun because you play with people in your skill level.

If you have the time and you are interested I suggest you give it another go in its current form, it's not bad. And it has a fuckton of potential. Yes, a fuckton.

More like ELO ruined the matchmaking with an absurdly loose weight-matching system.
    I do get into odd weight matching I agree yeah, but I do see less, keyword less, pubs who are pants on head stupid.

They should introduce a weight-matching component with the ELO system but apparently they are happy with it for now, and when they did add such a system it caused 8 man que's to go on forever.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
    Well, you seem to be luckier than I. I get pretty much the same amount of bad pubbies, only now I don't get the benefit of proper weight matching. It's a lose-lose situation.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    Re: Thread title.

Emperor.jpg

???
    steam_sig.png
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    UI 2.0 isn't here yet, there were just mockups of it and some info on it. And in the mockup screen, the Atlas was 128 tons.
    8aXhxwS.png
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    UI 2.0 isn't here yet, there were just mockups of it and some info on it. And in the mockup screen, the Atlas was 128 tons.

I know, I read through the posts. That was just the first thing I thought of when I read the new title.
    steam_sig.png
  • f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    f3rret wrote: »

I know, I read through the posts. That was just the first thing I thought of when I read the new title.

Ah, your picture was broken when I replied. I understand your post now.
    8aXhxwS.png
    Well, you seem to be luckier than I. I get pretty much the same amount of bad pubbies, only now I don't get the benefit of proper weight matching. It's a lose-lose situation.

Was there ever weight matching in the game to begin with? Beside the test they tried, that is. It only lasted like 2 days anyway I believe.
    3ws6wAR.png

LoL - BillBotNik
    MWO - BillGates
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    BillGates wrote: »

Was there ever weight matching in the game to begin with? Beside the test they tried, that is. It only lasted like 2 days anyway I believe.

Outside of that I don't think so. I would like them to revisit the idea of weight matching though, even in a reduced capacity I think it would go a long way towards minimizing the imbalances we are seeing.
    Delphinidaes on
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard GO DIGITIGRADE OR GO HOME Registered User regular
    Currently there IS weight matching in the game. The issue is that it's 35 tons. It's so loose there might as well not be any. A Catapult can bring a Raven or an Atlas.
    FWUfbMk.png
  • DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Dear lord. I need to update my pc so I can play again... This is getting pretty darn impressive.
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular
    Currently there IS weight matching in the game. The issue is that it's 35 tons. It's so loose there might as well not be any. A Catapult can bring a Raven or an Atlas.

I...don't think that's correct. If I'm remembering correctly (and assuming they didn't change anything after this announcement), when they fixed the over-inflated ELO score issue they decided that weight matching was no longer necessary because "fixing" the ELO did enough towards what they wanted to accomplish that they didn't want to do anything else to the match making.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Disregard
    DaMoonRulz on
    damoonrulz_zpse43446fb.png
    "Democracy is based on the assumption that a million men are smarter than one man. How's that again? I missed something" Lazarus Long
    TheCanMan wrote: »

I...don't think that's correct. If I'm remembering correctly (and assuming they didn't change anything after this announcement), when they fixed the over-inflated ELO score issue they decided that weight matching was no longer necessary because "fixing" the ELO did enough towards what they wanted to accomplish that they didn't want to do anything else to the match making.

It's possible that with the last set of matchmaking changes they took it away, but that limit has been in for a very long time AFAIK.
    FWUfbMk.png
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular

It's possible that with the last set of matchmaking changes they took it away, but that limit has been in for a very long time AFAIK.

Yeah Avalon, they took it away completely with the last ELO change. Which is just dumb as hell. Even 35 tons was better than what we have now.
    mvrck.png
    Outreach News Your constantly expanding resource for all Mechwarrior news and updates.
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I totally put, a haiku in my profile, Limericks won't fit.Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    hatersmech.gif
    Oh how I wish I was on my home PC so I could speed thay gif up and make that mech do a really spastic dance.
    MARKIISIGFORUMSIZE_zps17defe18.png
    PAX 2013 STATUS - Badges: PURCHASED Hotel: RESERVED Vacation: Awaiting approval Plane Tickets: Waiting on vacation approval.
  • KayKay Registered User regular
    So. HBK-4P - the usual engine of choice is a STD-260?
    Atherton Kess in The Vale of Buried Shadows - AC:22, F:19, R:19, W:20 - Resist Force 10
    Alénthian, the Grace of Corellon in Dragon Slayers - AC:35, F:29, R:30, W:31
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

That's what I've got, but I've got a half ton left over, at 336/338 armor :\ . I'm tempted to take out a DHS and add AMS or a BAP.

In fact, BAP might be the way to go, because I need to know what to hit ASAP in a 4P.
    Apyss-sig.png
    FYI: Image above links to my webcomic, and is (mostly) SFW. Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

250 is also a popular choice. 240 may be pusing it.
    n90uZGq.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    how soon till the website has some sort of build database? im itching to scroll through lists of builds to see what people have fun with.
    n90uZGq.png
  • MordraMordra Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The UI changes........

1310650820313.jpg
    Mordra on
    mordra.png
  • SpectrumSpectrum Raising Heart Excelion, Drive Ignition! MidchildaRegistered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Yeah Avalon, they took it away completely with the last ELO change. Which is just dumb as hell. Even 35 tons was better than what we have now.
    At this point, the only thing I can tell all of us is the most sage piece of advice I ever received from the League of Legends thread on these very forums:

"Just play better"
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular

What specifically do you mean by not there, or by design? There's still a huge amount of content coming this summer. All of the Community Warfare stuff is yet to be added, which will include branded items/mechs with slightly varying stats, bonuses and costs. Factions and Planetary control will be coming, which will grant your faction or merc corp bonuses based on what planets are held. And that's not even getting into Clan stuff. We've got two more confirmed mechs coming, the Blackjack this month, and the Flea most likely in June, as well as up to 7 unannounced mechs that are complete (and the popular speculation is either Clan mechs or Reseen redesigns by Alex).

We've got the new Canyon map this month on the 21st, and a Volcano map next on the docket. Then I believe it's an Asteroid/Moon map, and an Urban map following that. It's a free game that's only going to get better and better. And as we've gone back and forth with way too much over the last few days, there's not really anything worth getting gameplay wise you can't get just from playing. Pay to win is basically a complete nonfactor here. So there is, and will never be a better time to start playing than right now.

That is mostly gibberish to me. I'm certainly not talking about a lack of maps... and I don't mean to complain about a free game, much less a free game that's still in beta. I'm completely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I would really like this to be something I could pick up later when it is out for real.

But.... what I mean by not there is the fact that the game launcher just drops you unceremoniously into an actual match with no context or really any "game" at all. I have played a MechWarrior game before, way back in like 2000 or so, so I really ought to be ahead of the curve here, but I was completely lost. Everything seems to be missing except the actual combat, i.e. menus for things like setting resolutions, choosing game mode, starting servers and choosing options like friendly fire and number of players and whatever, and finding people to play with, basic tutorials, etc. I assume you can configure these robots in some way, you could in the version I played way back when, but hell if I know how. And especially for a game this complex, there needs to be a lot of structure there to ease people into it.

That is mostly gibberish to me. I'm certainly not talking about a lack of maps... and I don't mean to complain about a free game, much less a free game that's still in beta. I'm completely willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, as I would really like this to be something I could pick up later when it is out for real.

But.... what I mean by not there is the fact that the game launcher just drops you unceremoniously into an actual match with no context or really any "game" at all. I have played a MechWarrior game before, way back in like 2000 or so, so I really ought to be ahead of the curve here, but I was completely lost. Everything seems to be missing except the actual combat, i.e. menus for things like setting resolutions, choosing game mode, starting servers and choosing options like friendly fire and number of players and whatever, and finding people to play with, basic tutorials, etc. I assume you can configure these robots in some way, you could in the version I played way back when, but hell if I know how. And especially for a game this complex, there needs to be a lot of structure there to ease people into it.
    1) Setting resolutions is in options in the lobby
    2) Choosing game modes is in the upper right in the lobby, though it's hard to see. It usually says "Mode Select: All". Click the Catapult icon next to launch to change that.
    3) Friendly fire off isn't an option.
    4) Numbers of players isn't an option.
    5) I don't understand your request for people to play with.
    6) Tutorials aren't really in yet...and frankly most online multiplayer games don't have great ones. There's testing grounds.
    7) Configuring mechs is only for ones you own and is accomplished in the Mech Lab at the top of the lobby.

Presumably you are also unaware of the Pilot Lab, where you spend XP to purchase skills on mechs you have played (better heat efficiency and so on).
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes ~Shake Shake~ MWO:Endgame Registered User regular

You don't get to choose servers, it's not that type of game. The servers are automatic and hosted on their side. When you click launch you get teamed up with other players trying to launch and put into a match.

The new UI will make it easier to know how to change your resolution and such, but you can do that already.

Friendly fire is always on. You don't get to adjust that, this is by design so you need to learn not to shoot your teammates.

You can already choose the game mode but there are only 2 available at the moment. Again this will be addressed in the new UI.

The social menu is crap, but again that will be addressed in the new UI. However right now you can add friends, make a group, add friends to your group, and launch together. You can also see which of your friends are online/offline and in or out of games.

I agree that they need to add tutorials, I don't know whether they will be or not though.

All the options to configure your mech are in the game already, but again this will be easier and more streamlined in the new UI they just showcased.

Basically you can do all the things you listed, but I agree it's not intuitive. But they are very aware of that and have made a new UI to address this issue, however as un-intuitive as the UI is if you spend a few minutes just exploring the various menus and such it's actually pretty easy to pick up. It could be worlds better, and that's why a lot of us are excited about the new UI.
    t7pXRdE.png
    Delphin Twitch Stream: check.php?c=delphinidaes NNID: delphinidaes Oosiks Live! check.php?c=theoosiks

In the current iteration of the game, new players start in non-customizable trial mechs, but get 25 matches of cbill bonuses. You'll get enough for your first realmech in no time.

There are several resources available for new players; the Training Ground forums at mwomercs.con, YouTube most likely has a ton of stuff at this point, and (my personal recommendation) jumping into the Penny Arcade Ventrilo server and finding battle bros who will answer everything in a way more concise and digestible manner.

As the other content you mentioned, we are currently missing the meat of the gameplay in community warfare, but don't let that turn you off. PGI have created an incredibly compelling experience with what they have and I've been playing since when they had three maps and seven or eight BattleMech chassis available.

In summary, join Vent.

FWUfbMk.png
  • ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, that's my first in-game freeze-up first in several months. There's no re-connect option yet, is there?

EDIT: Well, that's twice in three games I've gotten an unrecoverable freeze up. Guess I'll...update drivers if they're not already? shut down anything else that's running? It'll alt-tab out of the game just fine though, so I'm not sure the problem.
    ResIpsaLoquitur on
    steam_sig.png
    League of Legends: resipsa
  • m!ttensm!ttens Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, that's my first in-game freeze-up first in several months. There's no re-connect option yet, is there?

No. I get a crash to mechlab pretty frequently, so hopefully it's next on the list of bugs to be quashed.

Try running the repair tool (I don't have a link handy... maybe it's in the OP? Or try googling). Also a reboot of your system isn't necessarily a bad idea either.
    m!ttens on
    vuHb1cM.png
    edited May 2013
    So I guess that's basically it, they're going to add a UI eventually. That will help tremendously. As it is, it sounds like you guys are saying that many of these options exist, but in the "lobby"... is that the launcher? Or is it something you can get to through an unknown keyboard shortcut?

I can't say I agree with the idea of friendly fire not being configurable, but depending on the dynamics and chaos of actual games this may be something that can be adjusted to. Regardless I'd probably end up playing the deathmatch or other non-team modes whenever they are added, if they aren't already, so it isn't terribly relevant anyway.

As far as tutorial stuff, yeh, I didn't exactly spend a huge amount of time in Google or youtube trying to reverse-engineer the game... it was more that after a few abortive attempts to play it I chalked it up to beta-ness and decided to wait. I imagine I will try to pick this up again when the new UI comes out and at that point I will do some research and try to learn all the buttons properly.

Is there going to be a single-player campaign of any kind?
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    So I guess that's basically it, they're going to add a UI eventually. That will help tremendously. As it is, it sounds like you guys are saying that many of these options exist, but in the "lobby"... is that the launcher? Or is it something you can get to through an unknown keyboard shortcut?

I can't say I agree with the idea of friendly fire not being configurable, but depending on the dynamics and chaos of actual games this may be something that can be adjusted to. Regardless I'd probably end up playing the deathmatch or other non-team modes whenever they are added, if they aren't already, so it isn't terribly relevant anyway.

As far as tutorial stuff, yeh, I didn't exactly spend a huge amount of time in Google or youtube trying to reverse-engineer the game... it was more that after a few abortive attempts to play it I chalked it up to beta-ness and decided to wait. I imagine I will try to pick this up again when the new UI comes out and at that point I will do some research and try to learn all the buttons properly.
    Yes, sorry, when I say lobby, it's the client you have before you're actually in a game controlling a mech. Some things are still changeable when you're in-game by pressing esc->options, however.

I would advise just getting on vent and asking someone to take you through things, the game is quite playable as it is.