Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

triftrif EdinburghRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Social Entropy++
modernlibrary.com's hundred best novels

I am referring to the readers' list, but I was still thoroughly depressed that this it has so obviously been subverted by Scientologists and Objectivists. For context:

Ayn Rand

L.Ron Hubbard

Now, I've read Battlefield Earth... and I enjoyed it, for the pulp sci-fi it is.... but it's NOT the 3rd best novel of all time.

Scientologists and Objectivists seem to be amoung the worst rabble rousers on the internet, and their vociferous minorities can often drown out the more meek and less extreme majorities. It saddens me to see an obvious perversion of a seemingly genuine website. Am I wrong? should I be more accepting of this?

I suppose it's not too different from the Dub the Dew competition and that doesn't annoy me... am I a hypocrite? Thoughts?
Honk iff you love formal logic! - - There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't
trif on

• godmodegodmode Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I don't understand why so many people get a hard-on for Faulkner. I tried to read The Sound and the Fury a few years back and I could barely understand the language...and it was in English.

I heard similar ravings about Ulysses and it may have had potential, but I remember that one being difficult to stick to as well.
    godmode on
    sig.jpg
  • Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular
    There are certainly some....opinions going on in that list.
    steam_sig.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Ulysses is amazing
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
  • scrivenerjonesscrivenerjones Registered User regular
    trif wrote: »
    Scientologists and Objectivists seem to be amoung the worst rabble rousers on the internet, and their vociferous minorities can often drown out the more meek and less extreme majorities. It saddens me to see an obvious perversion of a seemingly genuine website. Am I wrong? should I be more accepting of this?

yes

or no, I guess

I'm not the boss of you
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    The fact that Illuminatus Trilogy nor Schroedinger's Cat makes either list is a travesty.
  • ArangArang Registered User regular
    reading ulysses is like going for a swim in the ocean: on the one hand, you have all the skills you'll need, on the other hand there's almost no way to express how out of your depth you are

thenews.jpg
  • DubhDubh Hoodmistress Registered User regular
    I can't stand Shakespeare, but I know there's something in it that commands such respect.
    Langly wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many people get a hard-on for Faulkner. I tried to read The Sound and the Fury a few years back and I could barely understand the language...and it was in English.

I heard similar ravings about Ulysses and it may have had potential, but I remember that one being difficult to stick to as well.

being personally unable to understand the book isn't really a strike against the book itself.

People jump on Faulkner's dick because his phonetic dialect is perfect, his ability to voice characters is perfect, and his complex stories are infinitely re-readable. They have true depth in their ability to show new things every time to go back to them.

The craft of Ulysses is undeniable, Joyce's intense genius makes it basically inaccessible. He's making allusion after allusion to all different sorts of things, sometimes in different languages, all in stream of consciousness, that pretty much no one is going to keep up with him. The only way to actually appreciate that book is to study it and have someone walk you through the narrative, slowly.

@Langly

I really wish you could have taken that class on Joyce that we had the second semester of our first year.

You would have loved it.
  • godmodegodmode Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

being personally unable to understand the book isn't really a strike against the book itself.

People jump on Faulkner's dick because his phonetic dialect is perfect, his ability to voice characters is perfect, and his complex stories are infinitely re-readable. They have true depth in their ability to show new things every time to go back to them.

The craft of Ulysses is undeniable, Joyce's intense genius makes it basically inaccessible. He's making allusion after allusion to all different sorts of things, sometimes in different languages, all in stream of consciousness, that pretty much no one is going to keep up with him. The only way to actually appreciate that book is to study it and have someone walk you through the narrative, slowly.

Maybe The Sound and the Fury is great, all I was saying is I didn't get it. Realistically the only reason I had picked it up was because in 11th grade we had to read a book of choice and write a report about it. That year, I really liked the movie Orange County and Colin Hanks drops Faulkner's name when he's defending his choice to be a writer to his dad.
    sig.jpg
  • triftrif EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

That scratches the itch perfectly, thankyou!

RE: All the Ulysses comments. It's amazing that something can be so universally acclaimed when only a small fraction of the people who attempt to read it can actually understand it properly. I'm not saying it's not good... just that I probably can't be trusted to judge it
    Honk iff you love formal logic! - - There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't
    Start with Finnegan's Wake.

If you enjoy that, move on to Ulysses.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular

I love The Sound and the Fury pretty friggin' hard.

Southern gothic lit 4 lyfe
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    trif wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

That scratches the itch perfectly, thankyou!

RE: All the Ulysses comments. It's amazing that something can be so universally acclaimed when only a small fraction of the people who attempt to read it can actually understand it properly. I'm not saying it's not good... just that I probably can't be trusted to judge it

and I think it's perfectly fine to judge Joyce on how inaccessible he is, in terms of how enjoyable Ulysses is. On that count, the book really is pretty forgettable to most audiences. It's not really a book you could even read through slowly solo, because at this point lots of the stuff he's referencing are so contemporary to him or so remote that you would absolutely need a teacher in order to get through it. When you're reading it for just yourself, by yourself, it's just not very good.

It is objectively a work of genius, but that doesn't mean it's altogether useful for any sort of reader other than a scholar. Its most important aspect to everyone is its impact on 20th century literature, and you don't need to read it to know that.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    Yeah, Joyce is hardcore.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky Tails, You're my realest friend.Registered User regular
    The nastiest book in terms of literary depth that I've ever actually enjoyed was probably In the Name of the Rose

Or House of Leaves, depending on how you want to categorize depth
    yeah infinite jest is basically a book in that style that is actually really enjoyable to read and accessible to anyone who will just pay attention and think about what they're reading. It's not holding your hand but it isn't also actively trying to kick you out.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • ArangArang Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »

I'd say the exact opposite of this, because finnegan's wake is out-and-out madness from page 1, whereas Ulysses has a vaguely followable narrative going the whole time (disregarding the 100-page tangents about mice bladders or whatever).
    thenews.jpg
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    The nastiest book in terms of literary depth that I've ever actually enjoyed was probably In the Name of the Rose

Or House of Leaves, depending on how you want to categorize depth

House of Leaves is a pretty standard horror story with some pretty daring formatting

Which ain't a knock against it at all, it's a really fun book

But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable calling it particularly deep
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    And for the record I don't think the presence or absence of "depth" is inherently positive or negative, or indicative of a work's overall merit or quality
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Ulysses is dangerous in that it almost makes some sense and you kinda think you're getting somewhere. You then feel like a failure if you have to put it down.

If it was just madness from the start you could just drop it there and then. "nope, not for me"
    trif on
  • YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    Not that I disagree that Joyce added something significant, but...

Something can be technically inaccessible and still read-able. I'm mostly thinking here of Infinite Jest, where DFW didn't subvert the form as much as Joyce did, but it still was dense as hell and something that you could study thoroughly to get more out of it. I feel like "being able to read it or not" is a decent way to judge a book. Being FORCED to study a book intellectually in order to be able to comprehend it at all kind of sucks IMO. That being said I haven't tried to read Joyce since college, when I was significantly less patient, so maybe I should go back and re-evaluate.
    tumblr_m8qk6bmq5b1qigwg9o1_500.jpg
    the author of House of Leaves thinks he is way more clever than he actually is.

I really like House of Leaves but that guy is an insufferable jerk.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    Arang wrote: »
    LTM wrote: »

I'd say the exact opposite of this, because finnegan's wake is out-and-out madness from page 1, whereas Ulysses has a vaguely followable narrative going the whole time (disregarding the 100-page tangents about mice bladders or whatever).

See that's why I'd put it that way. If one can handle and enjoy the out and out madness by itself, then their mind is probably ready for out and out madness with deep profundity.
    Ahh pooro beat me to the ol' inappropriate infinite jest comparison
    I think my favorite part of Ulysses was Molly's stream of consciousness chapter.
    I also think the Great Gatsby sucked hard so I might just be a huge rube now that I think of it
    That being said, I should probably point out that I didn't understand a single page of Finnegan or Ulysses.

I'm sometimes tempted to go re-reread them again and see if I can take the time to fully understand what's going on.
    I hate writing in books. It always made me feel like I was hurting it.

I wrote and highlighted and underlined all over Ulysses.
    I have a really cool old hardcopy of Ulysses. Its not old-old, but its nicely-aged for being mid-1970s.
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky Tails, You're my realest friend.Registered User regular
    House of Leaves is also one of the only books to constantly play with its own formatting that's actually any good

When I was in middle school there was this series of fad books that all had janky formatting to try and look cool, and like most "young adult" lit they were also utter trash
    edited May 2013
    I also think the Great Gatsby sucked hard so I might just be a huge rube now that I think of it

That's interesting; I got the first website from a discussion over on metafilter about The Great Gatsby. A lot of people there were quick to deride it for being vacuous and dull. It had plenty of supporters, too, but it certainly wasn't unanimous praise for being the Great American Novel

trif on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This afternoon I have the "final" for a class on Ulysses that I took this semester, and the final is just reading some of Finnegans Wake together. The class was extremely enlightening. I found it hard to associate with the book at first, but eventually we were teasing out lines of thought that I was really into. It's definitely difficult to read, but it's also fun in its difficulty. There's so much in Ulysses for every reader, if they can get to it.

If you're going to tackle Ulysses on your own, I suggest you get this to read along with. It's a pretty solid reference, especially for all of the Irish political references. Sometimes there will be a question mark at the end of an annotation, but really with Joyce that's to be expected.
    jgeis on
    3DS Friend Code: 2320-6460-9072