Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    I think that even the eagles could be corrupted by the ring, and do you want a flying invisible terror in the sky? I don't.

And the fear was Tom Bombidil would just forget about it and lose it
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky Tails, You're my realest friend.Registered User regular
    Yeah complaining about eagles in the War of the Ring is the exact same as saying "why don't they shoot Voldemort?"
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Yeah I mean the whole entire point of sending a small group is so that they won't get detected.

flying things

are easy to see
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    John dies at the end is actually streaming on Netflix at the moment; it isn't great, but it is still reasonably entertaining.
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    oh man i wasn't around to post about how much i hated the hobbit (the movie) when it came out

but nolw how can i say something like that to dichotomy with an av/sig setup like that :o
  • DubhDubh Hoodmistress Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    House of Leaves is also one of the only books to constantly play with its own formatting that's actually any good

When I was in middle school there was this series of fad books that all had janky formatting to try and look cool, and like most "young adult" lit they were also utter trash

Can this be the House of Leaves thread instead

I fucking devoured that book

Man, every book thread turns into a dang old House of Leaves discussion at some point.

It's a good enough book, but I really don't get why it's THE go-to choice for so many people when a topic turns to dense lit.

Because it's a book everyone had read and its not just another sci fi or fantasy novel, or a young adult thing like Harry potter.

Though Tolkien is straight dense lit and I will fight anyone who disagrees

Tolkien is dense lit with several authorial conceits, particularly with regard to the poetry (he says songs, but since we can't hear them...)

The thing that Tolkien did really well before anybody else was to flesh out a really interesting world that wasn't ours, and he made a bunch of unique creatures and lands and peoples all with their own distinct identities and character

Don't get me wrong, I love Tolkien, and his story arc is very solid, but he makes a lot of excuses to have a long journey when it could have been a very short one due to the nature of magic and eagles in Middle Earth, I suspect for the purposes of having his hobbits explore as much of his world for the reader as possible

actually there's a reason the eagles didn't just take everyone there

and it makes total sense given everything else in the books

i just do not remember what it is

I thought it had something to do with the Nazguls

You know, flying around, being menacing
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    didn't gandalf have the ability to ward off nazguls by shining his flashlight at them?
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    didn't gandalf have the ability to ward off nazguls by shining his flashlight at them?

He only does that after becoming Gandalf the White, I suspect Gandalf the Grey would have a bit more trouble with them.
    Thorn413 wrote: »

He only does that after becoming Gandalf the White, I suspect Gandalf the Grey would have a bit more trouble with them.
    what exactly were the prerequisites for him becoming whiter
  • JoeUserJoeUser Registered User regular
    Birds are weird
    PSN: JoeUser80 Steam
  • ArangArang Registered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »

what exactly were the prerequisites for him becoming whiter

basically, gandalf is returned to middle-earth after dying (although he doesn't actually die as such) to complete his mission, which was to be a balance to sauron's power

and because saruman had renounced that mission (the book makes a much bigger deal of this, having him become "saruman of many colors"), he gets brought back as gandalf the white, who is now the head of the wizards

this is also why gandalf leaves at the end of the novel: there's no more sauron for him to balance out
    thenews.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Battling a big goddamn fire demon to the death.
    Also he was weary after 2000 years of being on earth, so he got recharged as well as the promotion
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    yeah I love that bit.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    "not to be summoned on a whim"

How about to keep evil from swallowing Middle Earth whole

Is that a whim

And so what if Sauron can see them flying

It isn't like the eye shoots lasers or anything

Increase altitude, nobody can shoot you

Yes, the story needed to be about the journey, and I agree that it would have been incredibly dumb to have a book where they fly an eagle to drop a ring into a volcano

It's just that the excuses given are flimsy and contrived so that the journey could occur

Gandalf has been influencing the affairs of mortals pretty much constantly so I don't get why "eagles are like Gandalf and are under the same rules not to influence things" is a reason for anything

Pretty much every action Gandalf takes is interfering in the affairs of mortals!

And he calls the eagles to escape from some goblins, and because he's trapped in Saruman's tower, but the salvation of every good creature doesn't merit their assistance apparently

Sorry, even though Tolkien has word of god on this thing it's still stupid and flimsy as shit! He could have had the eagles subdued somehow in a believable way instead of this whole, "They'll help you do lofty things like run the fuck away from bad guys, but destroying the biggest threat the world has ever known is far beneath them"
    m0G7m.gifFo9bp.gif51ZJT.giflQAzd.gifeqWuu.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    You saw the big flying evil Nazgul dragons, right? That was kind of a thing. The eagles helped out in times that didn't require dealing with those.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    I say this as someone who loves the LotR trilogy and Tolkien's world-building

But the plot contrivances don't get a pass just because I love it
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    sauron is far from the biggest threat the world has ever known

he is the ghost of a thug employed by the biggest threat the world has ever known
    xutFvZ4.gif
    i feel like the eagles should've never been used as a deus ex machina kind of biz

it seemed like he wrote himself into a corner and the needed magic eagles, without considering how they fit into the story at large
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    fuck

wizard

books
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    I just wandered into this discussion unprepared, but I think I disagree with Josh in every way possible.

The role of the Eagles, I thought, was pretty well communicated. That being to not give a fuck, because they are goddamned giant eagles.

Except when Gandalf, to whom they are indebted, is in mortal danger.
    The Nazgul didn't get their big flying evil dragons until Frodo got all the way to Shelob's lair in the books

They were on horses prior to that

So there was plenty of time to take a ride on a flying bird before that happened
    LTM wrote: »
    I just wandered into this discussion unprepared, but I think I disagree with Josh in every way possible.

The role of the Eagles, I thought, was pretty well communicated. That being to not give a fuck, because they are goddamned giant eagles.

isn't gandalf endangered by sauron raising an army and killing literally everything

or is he just an angel that can't actually die anyway and the eagles know this

but then why did they save him in the first place

wizard books!
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    fuck

wizard

books

I have nothing against wizards conceptually

but yeah, I can't really think of any good wizard books.
    Mr Fuzzbutt on
    1AgQz.png
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    sauron is far from the biggest threat the world has ever known

he is the ghost of a thug employed by the biggest threat the world has ever known

I admit to only reading the Hobbit and LotR trilogy so if Golbez isn't the bad guy and it's actually Zeromus, well, fuck if I know, I'm just going with the self-contained tale in the books that I have read

Even if it isn't actually a contrivance because JRRT wrote something else later on about how it totally isn't a contrivance, it isn't that way in the story I read, so yeah, to a lot of people it is a deus ex machina that is waved away with very little explanation
    also i enjoy the lotr series

but the entire plot point you are fixated on has been answered, and answered by the books. You don't even have to account for their pride or anything.

Sauron has winged bat demons that are ridden by invincible hell ghosts.

The entire magic system of LoTR turns on Will, and when Sauron turns his will upon the ring, he can affect the bearer and those around it. It's just not a good plan. You're banking on not being seen, or it not mattering if you are seen, and that's just not the case. They'd be killed.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    The Nazgul didn't get their big flying evil dragons until Frodo got all the way to Shelob's lair in the books

They were on horses prior to that

So there was plenty of time to take a ride on a flying bird before that happened

I think they had those from the beginning, they just weren't using them initially - so while we the reader/viewer didn't know about them, the eagles certainly would have.
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    LTM wrote: »

isn't gandalf endangered by sauron raising an army and killing literally everything

or is he just an angel that can't actually die anyway and the eagles know this

but then why did they save him in the first place

wizard books!

Fuck if I know, man. Wizards do wizard shit, and 99% of the time it works. Then 1% of the time they invoke the giant eagles.
    edited May 2013
    didn't eowyn stab a ringwraith in the face and it died
    and not any ringwraith either, wasn't it the witch king?
    Big Red Tie on
    I think they're definitely right though that it seems like a Deus Ex Machina to a lot of people (as evidenced by the million fucking times this argument comes up), and that's certainly a problem that could have been dealt with a lot better by Tolkien / Jackson.
    Langly wrote: »

but the entire plot point you are fixated on has been answered, and answered by the books. You don't even have to account for their pride or anything.

Sauron has winged bat demons that are ridden by invincible hell ghosts.

The entire magic system of LoTR turns on Will, and when Sauron turns his will upon the ring, he can affect the bearer and those around it. It's just not a good plan. You're banking on not being seen, or it not mattering if you are seen, and that's just not the case. They'd be killed.

Again, those things didn't appear until way later in the story.
    When the Nine Nazgûl (the Ringwraiths) were thwarted at the Ford of Bruinen near Rivendell, they were riding coal-black horses. In the aftermath of the interception made by Elrond to drive the Nazgûl away from the Ringbearer, the bodies of the steeds of the Black Riders were found lying in the Ford, but no trace of the Riders themselves was found. When next the Nazgûl took form their steeds were these winged creatures, ancient, natural creatures whose origin and appearance were told by Tolkien in the novel The Lord of the Rings, most clearly in this description of the one ridden by the Lord of the Nazgûl (the Witch-King) at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields

They could have gone KKkooooooooo oooooaahhhhhhh IIIIIII SEEEEEEEE YOOOOOOUUU all they wanted to from the solid ground their horses stood upon while Frodo laughed his ass off on the wings of an eagle

They didn't get their Fellbeasts until after they had been driven away
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I haven't read the books in a while, but the movies could have used a scene where a character asks "Why don't we take the eagles?" and someone says "Here's why not..." Just for the audience's sake, to prevent confusion.

They didn't have such a scene, did they? I can't recall one.

And if the Eye seeing them is the problem, then stop flying just before you get to where it can see you.

You cut out 9/10 of your journey right there, and the rest of the way walking into Mordor you can actually eat food and shit