Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    LTM wrote: »
    I just wandered into this discussion unprepared, but I think I disagree with Josh in every way possible.

The role of the Eagles, I thought, was pretty well communicated. That being to not give a fuck, because they are goddamned giant eagles.

Except when Gandalf, to whom they are indebted, is in mortal danger.
    isn't gandalf endangered by sauron raising an army and killing literally everything

or is he just an angel that can't actually die anyway and the eagles know this

but then why did they save him in the first place

wizard books!

you are creating holes where there are none.

Istari have mortal bodies that can be killed. Their actual essence returns to what you would describe as paradise. Whether they come back or not is dependent on what the gods want to happen. Gandalf gets sent back because he still has a mission to finish and because Saruman has relinquished his title.

Dying isn't great for them, it sucks.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai HHHEHEHE That one tasted purpleRegistered User regular
    Eagles are assholes
    2m4q7lt.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I don't consider it a plothole, but it is something that causes a lot of confusion which could have been avoided with a single line of dialogue.

e: the eagles thing, that is.
    Muddy Water on
    edited May 2013
    didn't eowyn stab a ringwraith in the face and it died
    and not any ringwraith either, wasn't it the witch king?

the one that only she, the only person in the entire world at that moment, could have killed, yes.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I just wandered into this discussion unprepared, but I think I disagree with Josh in every way possible.

The role of the Eagles, I thought, was pretty well communicated. That being to not give a fuck, because they are goddamned giant eagles.

isn't gandalf endangered by sauron raising an army and killing literally everything

wizard books!

Istari have mortal bodies that can be killed. Their actual essence returns to what you would describe as paradise. Whether they come back or not is dependent on what the gods want to happen. Gandalf gets sent back because he still has a mission to finish and because Saruman has relinquished his title.

so the ishtari can die, and sauron's army can kill them

and the eagles didn't consider this a threat to gandalf?
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    didn't eowyn stab a ringwraith in the face and it died
    and not any ringwraith either, wasn't it the witch king?

Meriadoc stabbed it with a special blade (they seem to be pretty common in Middle Earth) and there was a prophecy about how the Witch King would fall but not by the hands of mortal men

Hence the "I am no man"

So I guess a combination of a blade being made in a place and a prophecy did him in
    m0G7m.gifFo9bp.gif51ZJT.giflQAzd.gifeqWuu.gif
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie gem flipping just to get by stack your billions till they get sky highRegistered User regular
    prophecies? we've circled all the way back to harry potter
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Thorn413 wrote: »
    didn't gandalf have the ability to ward off nazguls by shining his flashlight at them?

He only does that after becoming Gandalf the White, I suspect Gandalf the Grey would have a bit more trouble with them.
    what exactly were the prerequisites for him becoming whiter

Good people skills
    +4 in the ride skill
    inability to dance

Really his resume speaks for itself
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
    And if the Eye seeing them is the problem, then stop flying just before you get to where it can see you.

You cut out 9/10 of your journey right there, and the rest of the way walking into Mordor you can actually eat food and shit

the eye is a metaphor, it doesn't have a viewing distance. He can turn his will upon anything, anywhere, at any time.

It is searching, constantly searching, for the ring. It misses the Hobbits. It would not miss reports of giant eagles traversing the land headed straight for mordor.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    I don't consider it a plothole, but it is something that causes a lot of confusion which could have been avoided with a single line of dialogue.

This is basically what I'm saying. It's not something that breaks the books or makes me hate them. It's just something that should have been clarified very adroitly within the LotR trilogy so that people like me can get back to pretending JRRT never made any mistakes.

wizard books!

i don't know what you are even on about at this point, but if you're just going to be obtuse to try and get people to argue with you then there's no point in even acknowledging you.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    JayKaos wrote: »
    The Nazgul didn't get their big flying evil dragons until Frodo got all the way to Shelob's lair in the books

They were on horses prior to that

So there was plenty of time to take a ride on a flying bird before that happened

I think they had those from the beginning, they just weren't using them initially - so while we the reader/viewer didn't know about them, the eagles certainly would have.
    Returning to Mordor in complete failure, the Nazgûl were forced to abandon their hunt for the Ring. At this point the Nine received new mounts to replace their horses: Fell beasts.
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    I say this as someone who loves the LotR trilogy and Tolkien's world-building

But the plot contrivances don't get a pass just because I love it

Nazgurl dragons, other flying things, catapults, ogres, magic, magic ogres shot from catapults/

And like I said, scary invisible ring possessd ring monster.
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Nazgurl dragons

Nazgurl, you look good.

wizard books!

i don't know what you are even on about at this point, but if you're just going to be obtuse to try and get people to argue with you then there's no point in even acknowledging you.
    you are taking this very seriously, i was just talkin about lotr dude

i was under the impression the eagles saved gandalf that one (two?) time because they owed him a debt and had to protect his life

it seems like sauron's dominion over all things is a much greater threat to him than being stuck on a tower, or some goblins
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    And if the Eye seeing them is the problem, then stop flying just before you get to where it can see you.

so don't ever get on the eagles is what you're saying
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    The Nazgul didn't get their big flying evil dragons until Frodo got all the way to Shelob's lair in the books

So there was plenty of time to take a ride on a flying bird before that happened

I think they had those from the beginning, they just weren't using them initially - so while we the reader/viewer didn't know about them, the eagles certainly would have.
    Returning to Mordor in complete failure, the Nazgûl were forced to abandon their hunt for the Ring. At this point the Nine received new mounts to replace their horses: Fell beasts.

well i mean perhaps that's because they weren't exactly the best mount for going door to door in the shire searching for some hobbits

but much more useful searching over large swaths of land, and in battle, and in eagle-killing
    bugss2.jpg
    simo wrote: »

well i mean perhaps that's because they weren't exactly the best mount for going door to door in the shire searching for some hobbits

but much more useful searching over large swaths of land, and in battle, and in eagle-killing

"Oh shit, they might take the eagles, we'd better get them on flying mounts before they think of that"

wizard books!

you are taking this very seriously, i was just talkin about lotr dude

i was under the impression the eagles saved gandalf that one (two?) time because they owed him a debt and had to protect his life

it seems like sauron's dominion over all things is a much greater threat to him than being stuck on a tower, or some goblins

yeah hang on let me just explain why eagles don't swoop in in response to a looming omnipresent threat that threatens everyone pretty much equally i wrote about this for my thesis it's entitled hot chocolate high velocity
  • simosimo Registered User regular

You cut out 9/10 of your journey right there, and the rest of the way walking into Mordor you can actually eat food and shit

the eye is a metaphor, it doesn't have a viewing distance. He can turn his will upon anything, anywhere, at any time.

It is searching, constantly searching, for the ring. It misses the Hobbits. It would not miss reports of giant eagles traversing the land headed straight for mordor.

right, and if he's got his entire will focused on exactly where he knows the ring is, well then suddenly frodo is wandering off an eagle's back into the sky
    bugss2.jpg
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Nazgurl dragons

Nazgurl, you look good.

she_nazgul_by_samael1103-d2zudhf.jpg

hey nazgurllll

lemme holla at you
    simo wrote: »

right, and if he's got his entire will focused on exactly where he knows the ring is, well then suddenly frodo is wandering off an eagle's back into the sky

and then he's like

well shit

there's eagles flying right for mordor

i wonder why
    You guys are doing some pretty incredible mental acrobatics to avoid saying, "He could have clarified why they couldn't take the Eagles into Mordor better."

Some people have already said it!

Here, let me show you:
    "Gandalf, where were you?"

"I'm sorry Frodo. I was delayed. My journey here was only possible with help from the Eagles, who risked themselves to deliver me from a great evil."

Frodo thought about this a moment, and spoke, "Could the Eagles not be useful in breaching the defenses of Mordor?"

Gandalf shook his head. "I'm afraid that is not a possibility open to us, Frodo. The Eye is now ever-vigilant against those who would attempt to engage the forces of Mordor from the skies, and the poison that fills the air would spell death for a creature as noble and magical as the Eagles.

There, now no nerd ever complains again.

That's all I'm saying! It could have been done, better than I wrote it too. It wasn't, though, so it feels contrived to people. Opinions. I'm not trying to take a dump on JRRT's work. I'm just pointing out that this is one spot that could have been improved upon.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I know if I was going to throw a magical ring into an active volcano, I wouldn't even consider asking Don Henley for help.
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    Sometimes shit just is the way it is, man.

Gandalf: "Because, Frodo, eagles don't got to move for nobody."
    Wait, are you saying no critique is valid if it wasn't made around the same time as the work?
  • ArangArang Registered User regular
    I think he's saying more that plot holes aren't the great destroyer of good fiction that the internet has made it out to be
    thenews.jpg
    One man's plot hole is another man's room for imagination.
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    One man's plot hole is another man's room for imagination.

that's the punchline to that joke about the traveler and the farmer
    Very true. Suspension of disbelief is a population variable that has seemingly decreased over time.
    One man's "plot hole" is room for another man's "imagination."

Sassori wrote: »
    Bunch of nerds up in here.

You're just jealous that Nazgurl is with me now

What's that? Oh yeah baby, tell me how you see me, I can see you too

You're so rad Nazgurl, let's make out in front of Sassori
    Nazgurl is unsettling every time I reload this page.
  • B_RB_R 1991 Worthington Dart ChampionRegistered User regular
    I was afraid this thread would turn into a discussion about goblins and wizards like any other thread about books.
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    B_R wrote: »
    I was afraid this thread would turn into a discussion about goblins and wizards like any other thread about books.

At least we're discussing something with a vague footing in reality, as opposed to say, Ayn Rand.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/jaykaos This is my steam profile.
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular

uh dude they see a fell beast with a Nazgul rider when they're camped on the banks of the Anduin, before Boromir's betrayal and the splitting of the Fellowship

Legolas shoots it
    "Elbereth Gilthoniel!" sighed Legolas as he looked up. Even as he did so, a dark shape, like a
    cloud and yet not a cloud, for it moved far more swiftly, came out of the blackness in the South,
    and sped towards the Company, blotting out all light as it approached. Soon it appeared as a great
    winged creature, blacker than the pits in the night. Fierce voices rose up to greet it from across the
    water. Frodo felt a sudden chill running through him and clutching at his heart; there was a deadly
    cold, like the memory of an old wound, in his shoulder. He crouched down, as if to hide.

Suddenly the great bow of Lórien sang. Shrill went the arrow from the elven-string. Frodo
    looked up. Almost above him the winged shape swerved. There was a harsh croaking scream, as it
    fell out of the air, vanishing down into the gloom of the eastern shore. The sky was clean again.
    There was a tumult of many voices far away, cursing and wailing in the darkness, and then silence.
    Neither shaft nor cry came again from the east that night.

pretty sure even if they had gotten on some eagles right at Rivendell they wouldn't have been able to get past the Nazgul
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Also, the question itself is stupid.

Why didn't the eagles help Frodo blah blah blah?

What you should really be asking is:
    Why didn't Manwë tell the eagles to do it?

Ya dummies.