Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Polar Warbear ˁ ͡° ᴥ ͡°ˀRegistered User regular
    I only read the first Harry Potter book and wasn't too impressed.
    1AgQz.png
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Edward Kenway's yer man. Arg, Swashbuckle, Avast, etc.Registered User regular
    The first two are definitely geared towards the audience of 11 year olds. It really picks up around 3 and 4.

I read them all for the first time ever just a couple of summers ago and loved them.
    acblackflag.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    On a side note, I broke up with Nazgurl

She was crazy in bed, but she was a total butterface
    m0G7m.gifFo9bp.gif51ZJT.giflQAzd.gifeqWuu.gif
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    so I ordered The Brothers Karamazov and Infinite Jest today

if they don't blow my mind I'm going to sic the violent bear on you bunch of smartypantses
    XBL: Toasticus
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 Registered User regular
    That's some Anglocentric lists there. Did I miss the part where the lists were titled "Best English Novels"?
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Toasticus wrote: »
    so I ordered The Brothers Karamazov and Infinite Jest today

if they don't blow my mind I'm going to sic the violent bear on you bunch of smartypantses

Which translation of Karamazov? It can pretty heavily impact how accessible/palatable it is.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Pevear and Volokhonsky

god why do Russians have the best last names
    Toasticus on
    XBL: Toasticus
    No Geoff Dyer on a list of best English language novels is also a gigantic fail.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    All internet polls are dumb and stupid.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    nuka wrote: »
    All internet polls are dumb and stupid.
    I might be misunderstanding, but I figured the first list ("The Board" selections) wasn't just an internet poll.
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    Man, I picked up Infinite Jest in my first year of college, and didn't make it 50 pages. Mostly because those 50 pages were about a tennis academy, not the
    video that people watch until they die

I tried it again like 8 years later and read the whole thing in like 2 days. Then had to check to make sure my copy didn't have the ending torn out or something.

Love that book.
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I have a list of books recommended to by people on here, but I think I need to read more Vonnegut, he's got a good style that I enjoy.

Also maybe tonight I'll post some poetry and short stories in the writers block

Everyone needs to read more Vonnegut. It is known.
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    man, you fucking nerds spend 5 pages talking about fantasy plotholes and nobody brings up the fucking Goblet of Fire

for shame, internet

I thought I knew you

What's the plot hole in goblet of fire?

how did voldemort know harry would get to the goblet first

answer

because it's a harry potter book

wizard did it
  • DubhDubh Hoodmistress Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I met a person who didn't like Vonnegut stories once

I didn't know what to say, so I tried to be noncommittal

"Yeah, he's not for everyone I guess!"

But inside I was like, "dumb dumb DUUUUUMB"

:(
    I think I'll just crawl into bed... Nothing better to do with myself...
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    You need to read more Vonnegut

Or not, it's all good

I understand it can be frustrating when you're like "I don't enjoy this author" and people are like "but no you just need to read THIS book, oh you didn't like that one, well how about THIS one?!" ad nauseum
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
    @dubh don't sigh I am sorry I will never have opinions again
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    Honestly, I've only read Slaughterhouse Five. And that was in 11th grade when I was sorta pigheaded about trying new things. Since then, it sorta crusted over into blind obstinance.

At some point, I'll give him another shot.
    @dubh don't sigh I am sorry I will never have opinions again

GOOD
    <3
    Buttlord wrote: »
    man, you fucking nerds spend 5 pages talking about fantasy plotholes and nobody brings up the fucking Goblet of Fire

for shame, internet

I thought I knew you

answer

wizard did it

Yes indeed, how did Voldemort know that Harry would be the first to pass the obstacle course designed, administered, and controlled primarily by his top lackey (who everyone else happened to trust implicitly). And how could he have know that Harry would have passed the previous challenges, all of which he was assisted with by said lackey. Like, seriously, Rowling pretty much spells this out when...
    Fake Moody fucking literally describes in detail the solution to this supposed plot hole at the end.

Eagles did it.
    I think you might like Bluebeard, maybe

It is about modern art and relationships and war and stuff

My favorite is probably Cat's Cradle

for shame, internet

I thought I knew you

answer

wizard did it

that's not a plot hole? like, that's fully explained in the book

Also the movie.

Oh, wait, my ex liked Vonnegut a whole bunch. That might explain it!
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

for shame, internet

I thought I knew you

answer

wizard did it

that's not a plot hole? like, that's fully explained in the book

it was literally the only thing i could possibly think of that osmeone might bitch about

please do not take it as me calling it out as these knot that, when picked at, unravels the entire plot
    Dubh wrote: »

DISLIKE

You must overcome this petty obstacle

(If you want)

(You totally should though)
    edited May 2013
    @Dubh

Give Breakfast of Champions or Player Piano a shot. Slaughterhouse Five is great, but it's pretty much a sci-fi-magical-realist, autobiography of Vonnegut's WWII experience, quite different from his other novels.

Edit: On second thought, links to full text that is (maybe?) still not public domain while I'm jailed are probably not the best idea.
    Skylark on
    I think Player Piano is maybe too much of a weird dystopia thing

I like it but I can see your average person not being too into it
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I like Vonnegut's ideas a lot more than his writing
    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I think you might like Bluebeard, maybe

It is about modern art and relationships and war and stuff

My favorite is probably Cat's Cradle

do not read siren's of titan first

it is a very good book, and maybe one of his best, but oh man the ending will fucking crush you

also breakfast of champions is my favorite, but it is not so much that it's a very good book(it's mediocre), it's that it is deeply personal when he talks about his depression and his life and it really hit home
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    Dubh wrote: »

DISLIKE

You must overcome this petty obstacle

(If you want)

(You totally should though)

Oh, I know. That was, like, seven years ago or something? I can probably safely enjoy The Albatross and Oingo Boingo as well.
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yeah, Breakfast of Champions is my favourite Vonnegut. I highly recommend it.
    I guess I should probably read The Sirens of Titan sometime.

Also, is that what people complain about with Goblet of Fire? I thought it was that the whole Triwizard tournament was really unnecessary and Moody could've just gone "hey Harry, could you fetch me that book?" Bam, done.

Man, Goblet of Fire was the shit. I loved Harry Potter when I was a kid, but then Order of Phoenix came out when I was 13 and I hated it. Hated hated hated it. I still picked up the sixth book, but somehow I'd lost all interest in Harry Potter by then. I haven't even read the last one.
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    People should read The Savage Detectives. I felt that it nearly had too much postmodernism bullshit going on, but on reflection, it was actually one of the most amazing things.
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Man, you people.

The eagles didn't deliver the ring because the entire point of the journey is the beauty and strength of simplicity.

Everybody fails.

See me after class.
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't really see how this is going to be a separate entity from the regular book thread, but while we're here, I'd like to take this time to tell you the Good News

the Good News is that The Raw Shark Texts is a book that you can go and buy and read right away
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Sirens of Titan is da bes

da very bes
    02YsrWP.jpg
    I don't read books with silly puns in the title.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Oh and Karen Russel's short story collection Vampires in the Lemon Grove is fuckin killer, pick it up

some real nice contemporary lit-style shorts with fantastic conceits
    02YsrWP.jpg