Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Actually my favourite part of The Stand was the phalla that used it for its theme.

I remember lasting for a while in it and just being terrified and confused the whole time.
    you might have this confused with your sex life
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Actually my favourite part of The Stand was the phalla that used it for its theme.

I remember lasting for a while in it and just being terrified and confused the whole time.
    you might have this confused with your sex life

5ec1e32506e6a48cc7d8a347455e6fa3-d3gvfkh.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    my favorite part of a stephen king book that isn't The Long Walk is the part where i stopped reading it

8->
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • vsovevsove Registered User regular
    My favourite King book is the one that is basically two separate books that use the same antagonist and same general themes in two books, including character names.

Uhh.. the Regulators and Desperation. I like that kind of horror - the unknowable Lovecraftian sort of thing.

Preferred Desperation, though, as I found it overall to be a stronger narrative.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, but he has some great ideas for his stories. He's just not all that good at telling those stories in my opinion. I've enjoyed reading some of his books, but much of the time I was bothered by his diction and sentence structure and it made the experience less enjoyable for me.
    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    On a note semi-related to King I picked up NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and it is actually pretty damn good so far, I've burned through almost half the book in about a day.
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, but he has some ideas for his stories. He's just not all that good at telling those stories in my opinion.

His short stories are his best work because it gets rid of his biggest flaw, which is his inability to be succinct.

If he's operating under specific constraints he tells some tightly-written narratives, but as soon as he's allowed to make his books as long as he wants... he goes on for far, far too long.

It was great, for about 55% of the book. The other 45% was completely unnecessary and superfluous.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I remember reading the Stand at the school library, on my spare. I remember getting to page one thousandish, looking at the book, and thinking, "God, this book is long, but only a few dozen more pages to go, I hope he wraps it up fast".

And then realizing that some idiot had ripped out the last chunk of the book. I assume it had a bittersweet ending, as all King books seem to do.

Although, for a week afterwards, I jumped whenever someone near me coughed. I especially liked the progression of the illness, and how it affected society, as opposed to the aftermath.
    vsove wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, but he has some ideas for his stories. He's just not all that good at telling those stories in my opinion.

His short stories are his best work because it gets rid of his biggest flaw, which is his inability to be succinct.

If he's operating under specific constraints he tells some tightly-written narratives, but as soon as he's allowed to make his books as long as he wants... he goes on for far, far too long.

It was great, for about 55% of the book. The other 45% was completely unnecessary and superfluous.

sewer gangbang
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
    PiptheFair wrote: »

sewer gangbang

Yeah that was a head-scratcher.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    also I'm still fucking pissed at king for dreamcatcher
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Its a flaw in King's writing technique. He never outlines anything, so he's basically making it up as he goes along. Its amazing he's produced so many good novels with that.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    I have not really read any King outside of On Writing, which is its own thing (own enjoyable thing, mind you)

oh I did read one of the shorts from Night Watch about a dude who finds a bunch of mutated rats in his office building that then eat him? I kind of admired its very straightforward trajectory.
    "Okay, so a bunch of dudes are poking around in a building. What's that noise? fucking RATS, everybody dies"

Oh also I read the first Dark Tower book; somewhat interesting, not engaging enough to get me to actively seek out the next one

maybe some day
    02YsrWP.jpg
    I read the first Dark Tower book and thought it was really bizarre and intriguing and maybe it could be a neat setup for some weird fantasy western fun. Then Roland got some buddies and I did not like those buddies at all.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    I can't really recall too many specifics about it

I remember it feeling surprisingly disjointed and episodic, but not in an altogether bad way

and I didn't really care for the flashbacks and all that went on at gunslinger U as much as I did for the rest of the book
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I like Stephen King a lot. Dreamcatcher was fucking terrible, though. Probably the only book I've ever put down out of disgust over how bad it was.
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    The worst thing to happen as a result of Stephen King's existence is Alan Wake

"Hey guys I'm a video game oh look Stephen King's cock just happens to be right here let me just mfmmmfff mmfffff"
    m0G7m.gifFo9bp.gif51ZJT.giflQAzd.gifeqWuu.gif
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    Opinions

Hey Geebs do you still like me

Check one

Opinion.jpg
    can we agree that the best thing is Joe Hill?
    02YsrWP.jpg
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I'm not a big fan of Stephen King, but he has some great ideas for his stories. He's just not all that good at telling those stories in my opinion. I've enjoyed reading some of his books, but much of the time I was bothered by his diction and sentence structure and it made the experience less enjoyable for me.

there's also that middle third that just loses me every fucking time

joe hill owns though

joe hill is basically stephen king without the things that king does that make me nuts
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular

yes. yes this. this is it.
    Hey I love Stephen King just fyi
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes was actually one of the best screen adaptations of King's work imo

His short stories are really good

I particularly liked the autopsy one
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    Ehhh yeah I didn't care for Joe Hill or Stephen King

I think maybe they are not for me

(No I'm kidding but really that is apparently just a genre I don't enjoy)
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I don't think that's entirely true, though, given that two of his best books (in my opinion) are the Stand and It, and they're basically his longest.
    I read the first Dark Tower book and thought it was really bizarre and intriguing and maybe it could be a neat setup for some weird fantasy western fun. Then Roland got some buddies and I did not like those buddies at all.

Now replace some nouns and you could be talking about Sonic the Hedgehog
    Replace enough nouns and well will all be talking about Sonic the Hedgehog always all the time forever
    Let's not
    I don't think that's entirely true, though, given that two of his best books (in my opinion) are the Stand and It, and they're basically his longest.

I agree with this. Something changed at some point though, because some of his later stuff is straight-up forgettable

From a Buick 8 just doesn't stick in my mind.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius Registered User regular
    I like From a Buick 8. It's a small town portrait tinted with the supernatural. I love how King draws you into little microcosms of daily life then sneaks in something wrong.

Then later he bludgeons you about the face with it. Which I also enjoy, so it works out.
    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk
    11/22/63 was really good. Though less for the Kennedy stuff.
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    Let's not

no no

I like where this is going
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius Registered User regular
    11/22/63 was really good. Though less for the Kennedy stuff.

I enjoyed the Kennedy stuff, but it did slow the book down in places. Loved it as a whole, though.
    TuckSig.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk
    You'd think I might say The Running Hedgehog, but you would be mistaken.
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    I really liked Misery. The book and the movie.

The Tommyknockers was really weird and rambly, but wasn't King writing that as some sort of therapy and it's a big analogue to addiction?

I think I read Cujo but all I remember is that the dog is evil and it may have died at the end.
    KanjiSig.png
    edited May 2013
    Sonic Sematary
    joshofalltrades on