Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I think Player Piano is maybe too much of a weird dystopia thing

I like it but I can see your average person not being too into it

player piano was his first novel and even he admitted it was far from his best work
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I love Vonnegut but I am not a big fan of Slaughterhouse-Five, I dunno why

it certainly has its place though

I think my favorite is either Breakfast of Champions or Mother Night

but man Mother Night is so fucking depressing

also God Bless You Mr Rosewater, if just for the babies speech, and I love the ending

Also the beginning and the middle

Moriveth on
    KanjiSig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I met a person who didn't like Vonnegut stories once

I didn't know what to say, so I tried to be noncommittal

"Yeah, he's not for everyone I guess!"

But inside I was like, "dumb dumb DUUUUUMB"

I read slaughterhouse five for the first time last year and it was excellent

haven't read anything else by him though
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Skylark wrote: »
    That's some Anglocentric lists there. Did I miss the part where the lists were titled "Best English Novels"?

The target audience is largely primarily English-speaking, so it makes sense.

If we want to talk outside the English language, Snow made me fall in love with Orhan Pamuk. Skilled novelist very rooted in the experience of modern Turkey. A bit wordy, but not unnecessarily so. Snow uses an isolated, snow-bound village as a microcosm of the Turkish political situation around the millenium. Interesting stuff.

I really like the Russians, but I think I like them better for their short stories than their novels. The book thread suggested a couple of more contemporary authors that I tacked on to my list, and I'm interested to see whether the distinctives of the big-name 19-century guys survived, or if the scene is more of an extension of contemporary Europen literature.
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    All internet polls are dumb and stupid.

but... both of those words mean the same thing
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    doesn't change the fact that she's right
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    as for actual books did anyone else feel like the second volumes of the amber series went kind of downhill
    Jars wrote: »
    as for actual books did anyone else feel like the second volumes of the amber series went kind of downhill

Pretty much everybody feels that way, but it's not often said since Zelazny was kinda busy dying of cancer when he wrote them. I learned the hard way that the fan community considers it sort of poor form to be too harsh on them.

I guess the combination of pain, exhaustion, and drugs left him kind of not himself, and most people blame that.
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 Registered User regular
    That's some Anglocentric lists there. Did I miss the part where the lists were titled "Best English Novels"?

If we want to talk outside the English language, Snow made me fall in love with Orhan Pamuk. Skilled novelist very rooted in the experience of modern Turkey. A bit wordy, but not unnecessarily so. Snow uses an isolated, snow-bound village as a microcosm of the Turkish political situation around the millenium. Interesting stuff.

I really like the Russians, but I think I like them better for their short stories than their novels. The book thread suggested a couple of more contemporary authors that I tacked on to my list, and I'm interested to see whether the distinctives of the big-name 19-century guys survived, or if the scene is more of an extension of contemporary Europen literature.

Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita would be my suggestion if you some more recent Russians.
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    it is

Good thing I didn't mention it was probably a stream of consciousness writing project.
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    it is

Good thing I didn't mention it was probably a stream of consciousness writing project.

Go easy with the puns, or you'll really piss him off
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    edited May 2013

Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita would be my suggestion if you some more recent Russians.

That particular bug is for more contemporary examples. Like, roughly post-millenium? I grabbed a couple examples on kindle when it came up in the book thread, so I've got my start.

I've also been meaning to crack into Soviet literature, though, and it sounds like Bulgakov would make an interesting companion to Solzhenitsyn.

With the upcoming move I really shouldn't be buying more hard-copy books, but the used book store got my copy of Hero of a Thousand Faces in so maybe I'll check...
    laughingfuzzball on
    edited May 2013
    I guess the thing is I always though of "Russian literature" and "Soviet literature" as two separate things, though the former certainly begat the latter, with "contemporary Russian literature" being yet a third. While I'm at least broadly aware of the earlier two, my exposure to anything post-Soviet has been through Shteyngart, which left me unimpressed. I'm not sure if he really even 'counts' anyway.
    laughingfuzzball on
  • triftrif EdinburghRegistered User regular
    When the subject of Russian work came up I immediately thought of my limited experience and Yevgeny Zamyatin popped up. I loved We.

I looked him up on wiki and was interested to see that he influenced Rand and Vonnegut, amoung others (Huxley's brave new world is an obvious one). How relevant am I to this conversation??!

...now to find a link to Hobbits and boy Wizards.
    Honk iff you love formal logic! - - There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't
    edited May 2013
    Very relevent. I'd always thought he was. Fairly contemporary, but apparently that's just because he couldn't publish under the Soviets.

Kindle has a few translations of We. I think I'm going to snag one. Apparently both of the cheap ones are crap translations, though :-(
    laughingfuzzball on
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    A took a day and finished Moby Dick.

gaaaaaaaayyyyy

Also, fucking great.
    Fuck off and die.
    So my coworker came in to relieve me and saw I had Masks of God sitting out (a bit of a slog and not Campbell's best). He had also been reading some Campbell (which is surprising because he'e not really the sharpest tack) because Joe Rogan recomended it on his radio show (there we go), and so figured I would like other books Joe Rogan recomends.

Fingerprints of the Gods. Apparently all of mankind traces their ancestry back to a civilization that died out millions of years ago that had technology even more advanced than today's which they used to build the pyramids and there's a sunken city of the coast of Egypt and I'm not calling it "Atlantis" but...
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    And then yadda yadda yadda, lizard people
    WIMBLIN.jpg
    Wouldn't surprise me.

This guy is such a pompous ass that it would have started something if I would have called him out on it, so I just took the first opportunity to duck out on his little rant
  • MorivethMoriveth Registered User regular
    Well yeah, Joe Rogan likes him. Dude kinda seems like a dick.
    KanjiSig.png
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    my favorite soviet novel is venedikt erofeev's moscow to the end of the line

it's basically just a look inside the mind of an alcoholic as he rides on a train; it has the perfect mix of pathos, poetic language and humor

similar in a lot of ways to 1982, janine by alasdair gray, which i also love
    bugss2.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Apparently all of mankind traces their ancestry back to a civilization that died out millions of years ago that had technology even more advanced than today's which they used to build the pyramids-

ahem allow me to explain to you how exactly the pyramids were built with the available technological level at the time,
    xutFvZ4.gif
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    people were talking about books they never finished/put down in disgust

one christmas when I was I guess a sophomore in high school my aunt and uncle got me a trilogy of fantasy books to read because i loved reading fantasy books, they probably just asked the borders guy for a popular series and it was the cheapest set

they were The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the story of a man with leprosy who is basically a failure who suddenly finds himself transported to a mystical land and is apparently the hero of prophecy because of his power to not believe in stupid horseshit legends

After arriving he very quickly realizes that his leprosy has been cured, and he is just so excited to have his body in working condition again that he rapes the woman who was leading him through the woods so he can continue following the prophecy he doesn't believe in

That is in the first third of the first book, after getting him to the next town she never comes up again as far as I remember and maybe he felt bad? who knows

I remember finish the first book but not much of what happened, my general impression was that it was convoluted and stupid

Then he goes home and in the next book he is brought back, and time flows differently or whatever so it is 50 years later in narnia and he meets the woman he raped who gave birth to his son and she still doesn't hate him and she never told anyone and everybody still loves him for being the hero and then I stopped reading

That is probably the only series i've ever owned that I didn't finish
  • Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Registered User regular
    Vonnegut's bestest is Harrison Bergeron. I prefer the bite-sized madness of his short stories more than his full novels.

Same with Stephen King. I just could not finish The Stand.

His short stories? Eat them like M&Ms (and The Dark Tower, too).
    SignatureFinal_zps22983399.png
  • triftrif EdinburghRegistered User regular
    You know, I read Thomas Covenant when I was fairly young, and I really enjoyed it. Can't for the life of me remember the plot (i'm lucky like that - I can get multiple reads out of books because my memory is crap!)

But that brief synopsis you gave of the first 1/xth of the series is making me doubt wether it was
    any good... Maybe it was down to my 11 year old mind being easily entertained? I do seem to remember there being some conflict in the main character's mind throughout the series...

...and a quick visit to wikipedia later... The Land may well be a figment of Covenant's imagination, and as such, all his actions and responses to them can only be interpreted with that knowledge. The whole shebang is a figment of his mind, probably.

Honk iff you love formal logic! - - There are only 10 types of people in the world; those that understand binary and those that don't
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor Registered User regular
    Huh

no mention yet of Blood Meridian?

Well

Blood Meridian
    The sound of his stallion's stream seemed so potent, so replete with authority, that it increased her terror of the devastation to come.
    Tumblr
    I also read the Thomas Covenant series when I was a teen. The first trilogy was a fucking slog and I'm not sure why I stuck with it. The second trilogy was a bit better, with things picking up as it got closer to the conclusion of the whole series. I remember enjoying the conclusion of the series, but wishing it hadn't been such a boring slog to get to that point.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    people were talking about books they never finished/put down in disgust

one christmas when I was I guess a sophomore in high school my aunt and uncle got me a trilogy of fantasy books to read because i loved reading fantasy books, they probably just asked the borders guy for a popular series and it was the cheapest set

they were The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the story of a man with leprosy who is basically a failure who suddenly finds himself transported to a mystical land and is apparently the hero of prophecy because of his power to not believe in stupid horseshit legends

After arriving he very quickly realizes that his leprosy has been cured, and he is just so excited to have his body in working condition again that he rapes the woman who was leading him through the woods so he can continue following the prophecy he doesn't believe in

That is in the first third of the first book, after getting him to the next town she never comes up again as far as I remember and maybe he felt bad? who knows

I remember finish the first book but not much of what happened, my general impression was that it was convoluted and stupid

Then he goes home and in the next book he is brought back, and time flows differently or whatever so it is 50 years later in narnia and he meets the woman he raped who gave birth to his son and she still doesn't hate him and she never told anyone and everybody still loves him for being the hero and then I stopped reading

That is probably the only series i've ever owned that I didn't finish

Stephen Donaldson is a terrible writer. I actually read that series AND it's sequel, but by about halfway through the sequel it started getting really difficult. I keep reading on, because I just assumed that it was because I wasn't very bright and that Stephen Donaldson was just SO AWESOME that I couldn't fathom his awesome writing. It wasn't until years later that I found out it was because he's such a shitty writer and not because I was dumb.

Same goes for Ayn Rand. I kept thinking I didn't understand John Galt's speech about selfishness because Ayn Rand was some genius and I just couldn't fathom her greatness. It wasn't until years later I found that really is a convoluted mess of bad logic and reasoning. I'm sorry to say, for years I was one of those idiots who threatened to "go Galt" even though I didn't have a job to "go Galt" from. (Well, unless you count unpacking booze at the convenience store I worked at.... yeah.)
    steam_sig.png
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    Apparently all of mankind traces their ancestry back to a civilization that died out millions of years ago that had technology even more advanced than today's which they used to build the pyramids-

ahem allow me to explain to you how exactly the pyramids were built with the available technological level at the time,

Well yeah, but that would take basically the entire country's economic resources and a massive free labor force besides-oh wait...

One of the biggest arguments is that apparently they've been so unchanged that apparently we have know way to know they aren't millions of years old.

Even if it weren't horribly inaccurate, it's still probably the crappiest argument ever.
  • KwoaruKwoaru Registered User regular
    reading the wiki synopsis actually made it seem like maybe it could be interesting (the whole is it in his head thing) but when I read the first book I probably didn't pay much attention to him doubting the validity of world, just him hopping on rocks or whatever in his working body and then raping somebody
    The Thomas Covenant series is tough to get through because basically the whole point of the series is that the central character is a dude whose life is completely falling apart and then he ends up in this fantasy land that he assumes is just in his head and he frequently acts like an asshole and does some shitty things there and then finally at the end he kind of goes Obi Wan and dies to the main antagonist, but in dying he's able to let go of all the fucked up shit in his life and his spirit basically drains all the power from the antagonist until there's nothing left of him and then the land is able to heal but Covenant is actually dead.

I think the problem many had with the series is that it's treated as YA but I'm not sure that it was ever intended as such. It's pretty dark, heavy stuff.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist Registered User regular
    YA?
    steam_sig.png
    young adult
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I agree with Dru

Also I met Donaldson and he looks exactly how I pictured Covenant so something something author insert
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky Tails, You're my realest friend.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I read Thomas Covenant at age 13 and, while I'd read some pretty heavy shit by that age (I read The Stand at age 12 in a 48 hour stretch) that was one of the first books which I both
    A) enjoyed and yet at the same time
    B) really began to actively question the main character's sanity despite the narrative insisting he's just disgruntled
    Mortal Sky on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My favourite parts of The Stand were the parts that didn't really involve the central characters.
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I think the narrative took theAlice in Wonderland idea to a kind of logical conclusion for a dude like Covenant
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    my favorite part of a stephen king book that isn't The Long Walk is the part where i stopped reading it
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Fake Nerd I just want to be lovedRegistered User regular
    The new ending to the "extended" version (or whatever they called it) of The Stand was ridiculously dumb

Like, exceptionally stupid
    m0G7m.gifFo9bp.gif51ZJT.giflQAzd.gifeqWuu.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Actually my favourite part of The Stand was the phalla that used it for its theme.

I remember lasting for a while in it and just being terrified and confused the whole time.