Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    I remember watching Dreamcatcher and having only a minimal idea of what was going on.
    daft1sig.gif
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote: »
    remember when the dude sat on the toilet because the shit alien was in there and the only way to hold it there was to sit on the lid and hold it in place

and then he was like "oh man I need to chew on a toothpick" but his toothpicks were on the ground in front of him but just out of his reach

the ground that, by the way, was covered in blood from the mad that had died expelling the shit alien

but he reaches forward anyways to get the shitblood covered toothpicks and by shifting his weight it lets the shit alien out and it kills him and his last thought is "my mom always said toothpicks would be the death of me"

Remember when the space marines decided to fuck behind some machinery and then the guy's dick explodes and out jumps the Leprechaun?

well if it was after the toothpick scene I have no idea because I immediately took the book back to the library

Book? No this was the classic film "Leprechaun 7: Leprechaun in Space"

Which really paved the way for Jason X: Jason Vorheese in Space.

Dude Jason X rules
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    remember when the dude sat on the toilet because the shit alien was in there and the only way to hold it there was to sit on the lid and hold it in place

and then he was like "oh man I need to chew on a toothpick" but his toothpicks were on the ground in front of him but just out of his reach

the ground that, by the way, was covered in blood from the mad that had died expelling the shit alien

but he reaches forward anyways to get the shitblood covered toothpicks and by shifting his weight it lets the shit alien out and it kills him and his last thought is "my mom always said toothpicks would be the death of me"

Remember when the space marines decided to fuck behind some machinery and then the guy's dick explodes and out jumps the Leprechaun?

well if it was after the toothpick scene I have no idea because I immediately took the book back to the library

Dude Jason X rules

Its ok guys, he just wanted his machete back!
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    We loooooove pre-marital sex!
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing hot hot hot hot stayin' alive stayin' aliveRegistered User regular
    Jason killing the virtual cheerleaders in the virtual forest was hilarious.
    daft1sig.gif
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Really, the rest of the movie is just set up for that (incredible) bit

And I'm okay with that
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • B_RB_R 1991 Worthington Dart ChampionRegistered User regular
    Is Alice B. Sheldon worth reading?
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Really, the rest of the movie is just set up for that (incredible) bit

And I'm okay with that

There is also

*Jason stabs a guy

"Its gonna take more then that to kill this old dog"

*Jason stabs him again

"That'll do it" *dies*
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    I HEARD WE WERE ARGUING ABOUT HARRY POTTER
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • The Geebs That Is A PonyThe Geebs That Is A Pony Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    well if by arguing you mean people don't understand what "plot hole" means then yeah
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    Hm

No

That's not really what I was hoping for

Oh, well, back to waiting
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor Registered User regular
    All of you should read The Pale King

and On The Road: The Original Scroll

also the book of my namesake The Maltese Falcon
    The sound of his stallion's stream seemed so potent, so replete with authority, that it increased her terror of the devastation to come.
    Tumblr
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Quoth wrote: »
    I agree with Dru

Also I met Donaldson and he looks exactly how I pictured Covenant so something something author insert

I think it's fair to say that if Covenant is an author insert then Donaldson doesn't have the highest opinion of himself

I enjoyed that series a lot but Covenant is hardly showered with positive traits
    IQ41voQ.jpg
    Oghulk wrote: »

I'm gonna get to Pale King in a couple of months

I'm on Oblivion: Stories right now, and need to take breaks between Wallace books
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor Registered User regular
    The Pale King is pretty great. It's my most noted book right now.

I'll eventually get around to reading Infinite Jest, but that's on the list with War and Peace for 'long books I'd really like to read but holy shit are they long'
    The sound of his stallion's stream seemed so potent, so replete with authority, that it increased her terror of the devastation to come.
    Tumblr
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I agree with Dru

Also I met Donaldson and he looks exactly how I pictured Covenant so something something author insert

I think it's fair to say that if Covenant is an author insert then Donaldson doesn't have the highest opinion of himself

I enjoyed that series a lot but Covenant is hardly showered with positive traits

Also Donaldson lived in India where his dad worked with lepers, as I recall

I should really finish the series but I can't deal with so much bleakness anymore
    “Hic non defectus est, sed cattus minxit desuper nocte quadam. Confundatur pessimus cattus qui minxit super librum istum in nocte Daventrie, et consimiliter omnes alii propter illum. Et cavendum valde ne permittantur libri aperti per noctem ubi cattie venire possunt.”
    vis a tergo | Blog | Twitter | Blip.fm | Dropbox
    I honestly like it but I can in no way blame anyone for not being willing to put up with that, yeah
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bucketman wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    man, you fucking nerds spend 5 pages talking about fantasy plotholes and nobody brings up the fucking Goblet of Fire

for shame, internet

I thought I knew you

What's the plot hole in goblet of fire?
    okay so, Barty Crouch's entire plan involves tricking Harry into touching a portkey that takes him to Voldemort

he executes this via the relatively circuitous method of getting Harry into the tri-wizard tournament and all but rigging it so he wins, and thus can touch the portkey (being the tri-wizard cup) to fulfil his plan

but

a portkey can be literally anything, the book makes a point of it

and Harry is around Barty Crouch all the time as well while he's disguised as Moody

so why go through the trouble? Why not ask Harry to just hand him a book and WHISH

Because (are we really spoilering Harry Potter?)
    Making a big public display is better. My thought was that Harry was suppose to win, get his ass killed, then the Death Eaters would pop back with Voldy at the helm all "Fuck your shit look who we killed!"
    They can make it a public display by putting Harry Potter's corpse in Diagon alley on Hogwarts doorstep.
    Harry Dresden on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular

jason lee played that character in the movie

fuck you king
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I agree with Dru

Well yeah, but that's kind of the point. The book is primarily about this guy coming to face the fact that he has this darkness inside him and finally being able to let it go (albeit by dying). I mean, the primary antagonist is basically Covenant's darkness manifest as a spirit. It's kind of like how in Lost, the conclusion of the whole show is about everyone coming to accept all the fucked up decisions they've made and come to peace with them.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    B_R wrote: »
    Is Alice B. Sheldon worth reading?

If you mean Alice "James Tiptree" Sheldon, then yes. "Warm Worlds and Otherwise" is an excellent collection, and it gets bonus points for Robert Silverberg's hilarious-in-hindsight introduction where he argues that Tiptree couldn't possibly be a woman because "his" writing style is clearly masculine.
    Old Red Ink on
  • Old Red InkOld Red Ink Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oghulk wrote: »

I'm gonna get to Pale King in a couple of months

I'm on Oblivion: Stories right now, and need to take breaks between Wallace books

I am generally not a fan of Wallace's short stories, but Good Old Neon from Oblivion is truly incredible. And quite sad, in the context of Wallace's personal problems. And also kind of terrifying because of how much I identify with the narrator.
    Old Red Ink on
    edited May 2013
    Druhim wrote: »
    I agree with Dru

Well yeah, but that's kind of the point. The book is primarily about this guy coming to face the fact that he has this darkness inside him and finally being able to let it go (albeit by dying). I mean, the primary antagonist is basically Covenant's darkness manifest as a spirit. It's kind of like how in Lost, the conclusion of the whole show is about everyone coming to accept all the fucked up decisions they've made and come to peace with them.

Yeah I know what the point is

I'm just saying that generally speaking author inserts tend to be a bit wonderful and great etc, the mouthpiece for the writer's obviously correct opinions

Covenant is not really that. He's rather unenviable. Intentionally so, of course, but still.
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Also I think it's fair to say we might want to spoiler block your post there
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think it really counts as a spoiler when almost no one here who hasn't read the books already will be inclined to do so.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

fuck you king

I know it's terrible, but I find the movie endlessly entertaining. It's a perfect complement to those awesome/awful made-for-TV King adaptations from the 90s.
    HlDUfm7.png
    Remember when Jimmy Smits was in Tommyknockers?

Probably not. I bet he doesn't even remember that.
    HlDUfm7.png
    edited May 2013
    Druhim wrote: »
    I agree with Dru

I saw Lost's series finale and despite reading threads here about it I have no fucking clue what happened.
    Harry Dresden on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular

fuck you king

I know it's terrible, but I find the movie endlessly entertaining. It's a perfect complement to those awesome/awful made-for-TV King adaptations from the 90s.

it's not even funnybad like langoliers or something

it's just so awful

just

man...
    STEAM
    Skayel wrote:
    One time, I had a friend over to play a bit of Red Alert on my LAN. During the game he said he needed to go to the bathroom, so we paused it. After about 10 minutes of wondering where the hell he went, I get up and go to check on him.

Turns out he was trying to screw my dog.
    Once I was taking a poop at a restaurant and a kid crept underneath the door into my stall. I let out a big fart and then he threw up all over the floor in front of me and I just stared at him.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    anyone have any suggestions for books written around the turn of the (twentieth) century? I have very much enjoyed some I've read recently and would like to find a few more
    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    anyone have any suggestions for books written around the turn of the (twentieth) century? I have very much enjoyed some I've read recently and would like to find a few more

Would 1880 count?

Because the Brothers Karmazov came out that year, and it's quite good.
    2MyOx.png
    We loooooove pre-marital sex!

Only when we get to see it. Jason X had no nudity or sex scenes IIRC.

Dude Jason X sucks

What are you talking about Jason X is amazing

ly bad
    schielesig.jpg
    It's no Jason Goes to Hell that's all I'm saying
    schielesig.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Guys, I have never read any Stephen King.

But I love The Langoliers TV movie.
    3DS Friend Code: 2320-6460-9072
    It's no Jason Goes to Hell that's all I'm saying

That's underrated. Its definitely better than Jason X.

fuck you king

it's not even funnybad like langoliers or something

it's just so awful

just

man...

See, the Langoliers is the one that only really entertains me occasionally. A lot of it is just slow and dry. Tommyknockers and It and The Stand are some rich bullshit goldmines.

Dream Catcher has all the painfully hammy domestic bro life in the snowy cabin, and a psychic library, and then there's a military containment, and then there's a really stupid alien boxing match.
    HlDUfm7.png
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    Psychic alien shit monster
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    Psychic alien shit monster

did someone mention my name
    15Tpj.jpeg