Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Seven of the top ten books of all time are by Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard... who knew?

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood What happened to you? The Blue RouteRegistered User regular
    Who?
    Z3nc12w.png
  • sarukunsarukun Carl Edgar Blake II Nerd-King of BaconRegistered User regular
    nuka wrote: »
    All internet polls are dumb and stupid.

Glad we were able to clear this up so quickly.
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt w o r s h i p c a t g o dRegistered User regular
    Mike Jones knew
    02YsrWP.jpg
    edited May 2013
    jgeis wrote: »
    This afternoon I have the "final" for a class on Ulysses that I took this semester, and the final is just reading some of Finnegans Wake together. The class was extremely enlightening. I found it hard to associate with the book at first, but eventually we were teasing out lines of thought that I was really into. It's definitely difficult to read, but it's also fun in its difficulty. There's so much in Ulysses for every reader, if they can get to it.

If you're going to tackle Ulysses on your own, I suggest you get this to read along with. It's a pretty solid reference, especially for all of the Irish political references. Sometimes there will be a question mark at the end of an annotation, but really with Joyce that's to be expected.

My opinion is that it is impossible to get excited about Ulysses by yourself. The motherfucker is so impenetrable and unreadable, the only reason you could possibly want to read it is in order to talk about its preposterous density of layered meaning with other people who want to do the same.

If you absolutely must climb the Everest that is Ulysses, take a class or start a book club. Otherwise, your only hope of finishing it lies in your being a person of Herculean will, with the power to slog through some of the most opaque arrangement of words the English language has ever seen for its own sake: if such people exist, I have not met a single one to date.
    sarukun on
  • LTMLTM Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    This afternoon I have the "final" for a class on Ulysses that I took this semester, and the final is just reading some of Finnegans Wake together. The class was extremely enlightening. I found it hard to associate with the book at first, but eventually we were teasing out lines of thought that I was really into. It's definitely difficult to read, but it's also fun in its difficulty. There's so much in Ulysses for every reader, if they can get to it.

If you're going to tackle Ulysses on your own, I suggest you get this to read along with. It's a pretty solid reference, especially for all of the Irish political references. Sometimes there will be a question mark at the end of an annotation, but really with Joyce that's to be expected.

My opinion is that it is impossible to get excited about Ulysses by yourself. The motherfucker is so impenetrable and unreadable, the only reason you could possibly want to read it is in order to talk about its preposterous density of layered meaning with other people who want to do the same.

If you absolutely must climb the Everest that is Ulysses, take a class or start a book club. Otherwise, your only hope of finishing it lies in your being a person of Herculean will, with the power to slog through some of the most opaque arrangement of words the English language has ever seen for its own sake: if such people exist, I have not met a single one to date.

That's pretty much exactly why I have tried to do it twice.

I have really no literary friends, nor people to discuss it with aside from this fine audience here, which seems to be comprised of people far smarter and well-read.
    LTM wrote: »

I have really no literary friends, nor people to discuss it with aside from this fine audience here, which seems to be comprised of people far smarter and well-read.

Good luck to you. As much fun as I had in that class, actually reading the book was a fucking nightmare.

Good luck to you. As much fun as I had in that class, actually reading the book was a fucking nightmare.

Yeah, its certainly something to just experience it at face value.

Next time I might grab one of the annotated versions and actually learn wtf is going on.
    I reread every chapter of that book at least three times. Usually still unable to make real cohesive sense of it until we talked about it in class that week.

So I guess technically I've read Ulysses three times, really.
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    No joke, I literally brought up the time dilation thing in a class last week as we were finishing up Ithaca. A lot of people in the class were complaining about how time in Ulysses feels out of sorts, even when it's moving linearly in absolute terms. I tied it into the discussion on paradox in the novel and how, much as in real life and in The Odyssey and in Ulysses, time passes relative to the person experiencing it.

There is definitely some interesting stuff in Ulysses. I got caught up in the cycle of life, death and decay. I felt like that was one of the topics that really bound the book together and it was already a big part of my outlook on life. I wrote a paper teasing that theme out of Hades, and I really enjoyed writing it.

The Nationalism stuff was the most frustrating for me, and the Irish politics sort of just washed over me as something that, while important, I just was not into.
    3DS Friend Code: 2320-6460-9072
    I don't even remember the Nationalism. Most of what I remember from that book is tied to that final paper I wrote.

That's the shittiest part about Ulysses, it's so hard to follow that ultimately almost none of it is memorable.
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    You know, I can understand why Scientologists would vote en masse for their beloved Hubbard because they're a cult and all.

But aren't Objectivists supposed to believe in the Invisible Hand of the Free Market? To let the great consuming masses reward the worthy and punish the unworthy with their wallets? Or internet poll votes?

Not that I'm surprised Objectivists are hypocrites, but how do they deal with the cognitive dissonance?
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    You know, I can understand why Scientologists would vote en masse for their beloved Hubbard because they're a cult and all.

But aren't Objectivists supposed to believe in the Invisible Hand of the Free Market? To let the great consuming masses reward the worthy and punish the unworthy with their wallets? Or internet poll votes?

Not that I'm surprised Objectivists are hypocrites, but how do they deal with the cognitive dissonance?

Any Objectivists I've met aren't self-aware enough to even notice any contradiction there

But in reality they'd probably just see it as a "the masses have spoken" event.
  • TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
    At least George Orwell is on the list.

I like Orwell.
    uGn5f.png
  • E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    I love Ron Hubbard's Wikipedia page, especially when they're talking about Excalibur. This line just cracked me up:

"And he said that the last time he had shown it to a publisher in New York, he walked into the office to find out what the reaction was, the publisher called for the reader, the reader came in with the manuscript, threw it on the table and threw himself out of the skyscraper window."

That is one hardcore critic.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    I know this is book thread but

the amount some authors that can put into a single poem?

holy fuck

all those constraints to put in so much depth
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    I am reading Lolita right now

I kind of want to stab this book in the throat
    chillaxton.jpg
    any major dude will tell you
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    it's almost like the genetic code

here's everything in this building block off some things

make a life form that's absurdly complex from some coffee

our a computer! bunch of binary switches

the complexity from small constraints and form restrictions is amazing
    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif

Any Objectivists I've met aren't self-aware enough to even notice any contradiction there

Its an internet poll, right? I mean, the masses have spoken.

The masses of people who are the types to vote on an internet poll, at least.
  • DubhDubh Hoodmistress Registered User regular

well fucking said

I'm not a huge poetry fan

but you're a classy man, Zenny
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I don't even remember the Nationalism. Most of what I remember from that book is tied to that final paper I wrote.

That's the shittiest part about Ulysses, it's so hard to follow that ultimately almost none of it is memorable.

I don't know, there are some parts that I will remember for quite a while that are outside of my specific interests. It's really dense though, I cannot fault anyone that has a hard time remembering stuff that they did not work on directly.

Having now read a little bit of Finnegans Wake I can honestly say that my interest is piqued, but fucking James Joyce man, that dude had some crazy shit going on in his brain.

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6460-9072
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    E-gonga wrote: »
    I love Ron Hubbard's Wikipedia page, especially when they're talking about Excalibur. This line just cracked me up:

"And he said that the last time he had shown it to a publisher in New York, he walked into the office to find out what the reaction was, the publisher called for the reader, the reader came in with the manuscript, threw it on the table and threw himself out of the skyscraper window."

That is one hardcore critic.
    Forrest J Ackerman, later Hubbard's literary agent, recalled that Hubbard told him "whoever read it either went insane or committed suicide."
    Excalibur is the necronomicon.
    15Tpj.jpeg

It's one of the reason I'm not a fan of the no-conventions "do whatever I want" stream of consciousness poetry that seems to be so popular with modernists.

You took all the poetry out of poetry, you assholes.

I don't know, there are some parts that I will remember for quite a while that are outside of my specific interests. It's really dense though, I cannot fault anyone that has a hard time remembering stuff that they did not work on directly.

Having now read a little bit of Finnegans Wake I can honestly say that my interest is piqued, but fucking James Joyce man, that dude had some crazy shit going on in his brain.

Man was good at what he did.

He had a pretty giant ego about it, but he was good at his video game, no mistake.
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular

Well, yeah, but normally the masses "speaking" other than through their wallets runs contrary to objectivist mentality.

Similar sorts of lists that come up with things they don't like tend to garner "liberal media telling us what we're supposed to like" type responses.

Saying "this is good, and so ought to be supported" is, like, the exact thing Rand hated. Collectively saying (either through formal or informal means) "Objectivist literature is good so you should all buy and/or read it" is pretty hypocritical. According to their own doctrine, if it's really so good, it'll succeed on its own.

Well, yeah, but normally the masses "speaking" other than through their wallets runs contrary to objectivist mentality.

Similar sorts of lists that come up with things they don't like tend to garner "liberal media telling us what we're supposed to like" type responses.

Saying "this is good, and so ought to be supported" is, like, the exact thing Rand hated. Collectively saying (either through formal or informal means) "Objectivist literature is good so you should all buy and/or read it" is pretty hypocritical. According to their own doctrine, if it's really so good, it'll succeed on its own.

These people are out of their minds.

Literally exactly the same as Christians who don't go to the doctor because God will heal them.
  • YaYaYaYa ... ...wanna fight?Registered User regular
    You know what book gets a real unfair rap for being a slog? Infinite Jest.

That book's fun as hell, and not nearly so difficult as its reputation would indicate.

the main reason I gave up on Infinite Jest was because it had taken me three months to read three hundred pages, but I really liked those three hundred pages! it just really slowed me down

also I have never been more grateful for the inbuilt dictionary on the kindle
    I made a web series! watch it here: http://bloodsuckingbooks.com
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    YaYa wrote: »
    You know what book gets a real unfair rap for being a slog? Infinite Jest.

That book's fun as hell, and not nearly so difficult as its reputation would indicate.

the main reason I gave up on Infinite Jest was because it had taken me three months to read three hundred pages, but I really liked those three hundred pages! it just really slowed me down

also I have never been more grateful for the inbuilt dictionary on the kindle

I won't fault anybody who gives up on Infinite Jest, but I got to a point quickly - a single passage, even - where I realized there's no way I'd be able to walk away from it unfinished.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

They're a cult, as well. They just mistakenly believe they aren't in a cult.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Unless a movie they created fails financially. Then they blame society for being "moochers."
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    Damn you all. "Herculean will" and "Impossible" are the exact words that make me want to do something I'll regret. I can see myself a few months from now, Ulysses finished, knee deep in gibbering madness, and the only person I'll hate more than Sarukun will be myself.

I'd just like to apologize in advance for any attempts to light anyone on fire as a consequence.

Thinking of similar decisions I don't regret, though?

You know who rules?

Tolstoy.

I mean, I don't think there's anyone else like him. Every other classic novel I've read past a certain length, it's filled with cruft. Good cruft, sometimes. Like, Dostoyevsky? The man could write cruft that's better than the centerpiece of some pretty good books. But he still tangented. Like crazy.

War and Peace? It was focused. This was a novel that earned every sentence of its length.

Well worth the effort.
    2MyOx.png
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    I don't understand why so many people get a hard-on for Faulkner. I tried to read The Sound and the Fury a few years back and I could barely understand the language...and it was in English.

I heard similar ravings about Ulysses and it may have had potential, but I remember that one being difficult to stick to as well.

being personally unable to understand the book isn't really a strike against the book itself.

People jump on Faulkner's dick because his phonetic dialect is perfect, his ability to voice characters is perfect, and his complex stories are infinitely re-readable. They have true depth in their ability to show new things every time you go back to them.

The craft of Ulysses is undeniable, Joyce's intense genius makes it basically inaccessible. He's making allusion after allusion to all different sorts of things, sometimes in different languages, all in stream of consciousness, that pretty much no one is going to keep up with him. The only way to actually appreciate that book is to study it and have someone walk you through the narrative, slowly.

You are truly a joy sir. I agree fully.

Like in high-school I had a hard time with Grapes Of Wrath and a tale of two cities. Looking back,I enjoyed both books, but man were they hard to read at first.

Now Catcher in the Rye, I dunno, I just hate Holden so much
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    that would be super cool
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Damn you all. "Herculean will" and "Impossible" are the exact words that make me want to do something I'll regret. I can see myself a few months from now, Ulysses finished, knee deep in gibbering madness, and the only person I'll hate more than Sarukun will be myself.

I'd just like to apologize in advance for any attempts to light anyone on fire as a consequence.

Thinking of similar decisions I don't regret, though?

You know who rules?

Tolstoy.

I mean, I don't think there's anyone else like him. Every other classic novel I've read past a certain length, it's filled with cruft. Good cruft, sometimes. Like, Dostoyevsky? The man could write cruft that's better than the centerpiece of some pretty good books. But he still tangented. Like crazy.

War and Peace? It was focused. This was a novel that earned every sentence of its length.

Well worth the effort.

Bro you are conflating plot with the "point" of a book, which is stone-cold silly.

In Brothers Karamazov, the plot is the "cruft." Wide-scoped conversations about faith, good, evil, nature, nurture, life, death, greed, lust, love? THOSE are the point.

Humanity ain't got focus, and Dostoevsky's goal was (often) to capture humanity in all its unfocused, messy glory, and try to fix it.
    WIMBLIN.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Dyslexic Puppy Skraggle RockRegistered User regular
    Having said that, since one of you is actually wrapping up Ulysses, I just started taking a class on Greek and Roman Mythology and am going through the Odyssey again, and I had something pointed out to me that made me feel like a fucking boss.

When I took my course on Ulysses, I wrote my final paper/presentation on a couple of different techniques that I found used throughout; one of them was an effect I called "time dilation". There is this thing that happens all over in Ulysses where you get bombarded with description of various things... it's kind of like the literary equivalent of bullet time, you fly around through these different scenes and get closeups of this that or the other, and then you take a step back and realize that a fraction of a second, or a handful of seconds have passed in the book, while you've read 3-5 pages of material.

Well, it turns out this is a thing that actually happens in the motherfucking Odyssey. It's no where near as pronounced or protracted as it is in Ulysses, but you do have moments where a character will arrive somewhere and you get sort of a birds eye veiw that goes on for stanzas, telling you all about this place before the narrative loops back around to whomever it started the description with; the professor called it "ring composition".

I just thought it was pretty incredible that Joyce would go so far as to incorporate literary techniques so specific to the Odyssey in Ulysses; so much was made in that class of plot points that correspond to plot points in the Odyssey, characters that correspond to characters, and a lot of the physical make-up of the poem, but nobody talked about anything in terms of technique and devices. Kind of makes me wish I wasn't separated from my first reading of the Odyssey by four years when I took that Ulysses class, I could have written a much more directed and focused paper. =P

Jesus, I'm a nerd.

Yes, one of my my mythology classes we discussed this at length, and literary bullet time is a great way to describe it. A few other books do it, but I think more should. It's like a Zac Morris time out and I feel it's a good representation of the millions of things that go through your head at any given time. But you have to be careful, to much of it and your just rambling on about crap
    sayiamansig_zps3b961859.jpg